View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 23rd, 2014, 4:05 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Is anyone an ESPN insider? 
Bubbles the Lion

Post Is anyone an ESPN insider?
I'm interested in seeing what they have to say about the Lions in the "Rumor Central".

April 12th, 2005, 3:01 pm
QB Coach

Alex Smith
QB, Utah

49ers?
Lions?

Apr. 11 - Smith has gained a lot of momentum over the past week, and ESPN.com's John Clayton is hearing he could end up being the No. 1 pick. However, there are two uncertainties holding that possibility back. First, coach Mike Nolan has the final say on the first pick and he may be leaning toward Aaron Rodgers. Second, a contract needs to be reached before the draft. Some in the 49ers' organization love his upside and think he could end up being better than Rodgers, who is more polished.
The Lions went to great lengths last Wednesday to surreptitiously bring in Smith for a visit. Team officials told local reporters that it was Stanford tight end Alex Smith who was in for a visit, but have since been forced to admit it was the Utah quarterback. Were the Lions simply exercising due diligence, in the event Smith slips to them? Or, as rumored, is coach Steve Mariucci smitten with the young quarterback? No matter the answer, incumbent Joey Harrington can't be thrilled with the Smith flirtation.

PLAYER INTERESTED THE SKINNY

Shawne Merriman
LB-DE Maryland

Lions
Cowboys
Vikings?

Apr. 11 - He should have an interesting week with visits scheduled to Dallas and Detroit. The Lions could be looking for him at No. 10 as a defensive end with great speed and pass-rushing ability. The Cowboys have the next pick and are looking for a big linebacker. Merriman is 274 pounds and faster than ever. He's also hoping that the many Maryland alums at the Minnesota Vikings, including coach Mike Tice and defensive line coach Brian Baker, have the pull to get him as high as No. 7.
--John Clayton

April 12th, 2005, 3:13 pm
Profile WWW
Bubbles the Lion

April 12th, 2005, 3:52 pm
Water Boy

Don't know exactly why, but I have a really good gut feeling about Alex Smith. Wouldn't mind trading up to get him and having a QB "problem" like San Diego currently has. How long has it been since we've had a good QB in Detroit? Imagine possibly having two.

April 13th, 2005, 9:31 am
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Gut feeling about him being good or us drafting him? Those are two different things. I have a gut feeling about him being good, but cannot envisage us trading up. In that respect my gut tells me that Millen hopes that DJ falls to swindle a team and take Pollack or without a taker he will take DJ straight up.

April 13th, 2005, 4:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]