View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 29th, 2014, 2:12 pm

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Say it ain't So 
Bubbles the Lion

Post Say it ain't So
I have been hearing so many rumors about the Lions getting rid of Joey Harrington :( :( . If this happens the lions will be missing out on a great QB. Can anybody tell me if it is true. I hope it isn't. :x ~:-( [-X Thanks
Drew

April 12th, 2005, 6:04 pm
Stadium Announcer

My opinion is that Mooch wants to be rid of him in the worst way. However, despite our moronic head coach, I believe the front office knows what a waste that would be.

Whether Joey gets yanked early, or even before the season starts, is another story.

Personally, I'm not attached to Joey. I merely want to see a QB succeed and to be put in a situation that permits one to succeed. This could be the year, but I'm skeptical that our current HC will allow it.

The Detroit 49ers will be destroyed by Mooch before they figure out what an idiot he is.

Also, see me @ http://www.phpbbforfree.com/forums/lionsworld.html

April 12th, 2005, 6:08 pm
Profile YIM WWW
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

I agree with your appraisal Sanders. I fear the title of the 2005 season may prove to be "Rift Watch". If Joey is not perfect there is going to be oh so much pressure to put in Garcia. Of course, Garcia could make the offense click and he also could get hurt, but it does appear that not everyone is on the same page on this big issue.

April 12th, 2005, 6:23 pm
Stadium Announcer

Right, and that's a shame. It really does go a long way when trying to figure out why this team is never really a contender.

I have a belief that no team can have this much bad luck with QB's. We've had some decent ones, but things never go right.

But as far as Joey being cut this year. If that happens, Lions management is even dumber than I thought.

April 12th, 2005, 6:25 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Bubbles the Lion

I wouldn't worry too much about it. The Lions have invested too much to cut him and take the cap hit, and I seriously doubt anyone would be willing to trade for him and take his salary.

If they do keep him, (which I think they will), he will definitely be in his last year if he doesn't turn it around. If he struggles early, he'll get yanked. But I think he'd get his job back, after Garcia gets hurt, like he inevitibly will.

April 12th, 2005, 6:46 pm
Stadium Announcer

Right. Problem being, if Mooch is out to get him, as I think he is, and he is yanked in favor of Garcia, he will be cut the following off season and we will be right back at square one.

Joey should have this season. If the team stays relatively healthy and Mooch and Tollner make the changes they're saying they will.....if all of this happens and Joey can't make some decent strides, then fine, but otherwise, he hasn't been in a situation that exactly breeds success for a QB.

I'm convinced Peyton Manning would have imploded on this team over the last 3 years.

April 12th, 2005, 7:12 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Stadium Announcer

If this rumor is true, and Mooch wants Joey gone, I think that Millen should jettison Mooch.

Mooch has not shown the leadership ability required of a head coach!

He has not put in a system that allowed his players to succeed. Many of which he drafted. He is too caught up in the WCO that he ran in SF, which he inherited.

Where is the offensive genius that we heard so much about?

I truly believe that Mooch is the problem.

April 12th, 2005, 7:34 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I agree that Mooch hasn't been ideal, but I am leery of acusing him of being out to get a certain player. He is a professional in my opinion, and even if he doesn't think Joey is good, he knows that he is better than Gracia and won't put Jeff in unless it is nessecary. I think he has a little faith in Joey. Did anyone see the locker room footage after the win against the Giants? "Joey, you played your rectum off" was Steve's quote.

I hate Mooch's conservativism and his blind faith in the West Coast, but I don't think he is as scheming as some do.

April 12th, 2005, 8:02 pm
Profile WWW
Stadium Announcer

Probably so bsand. The thing is, a little progress would go a long way in changing my mind about him. I can't even confess to feeling that he's a professional. IMO, professionals could get an offense clicking in two years. Especially after it was installed two years before he showed up.

He simply hasn't done anything for this team aside from drawing a few free agents in on his name.

I've always said this. Let Detroit be Mooch's mark for success. His success in GB and SF were gift wrapped for him. If he can't get it done in Detroit, I think it shows that he needs someone to hold his hand. And that is not the mark of a professional.

April 12th, 2005, 8:09 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I never thought I would come to Mooch's defense. :shock:

I mean everything I say very respectfully though. You make good points and back them up.

I think it is unfair to judge his ability to build an offense so fast. When he came, he had no running game, poor recievers, a bad oline, and a young, overrated qb. I think this is Mooch's year of decision as well as Joey's. They both need to perform well, but Mooch will get one more year because he's Mooch.

BTW, we shouldn't even be discussing Mooch's qualities, Moller should be our HC. Millen shouldn't have gotten rid of him.

April 12th, 2005, 8:14 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Something all of you have failed to mention to this point is the backing that Joey has from a higher authority, Matt Millen. Millen has shown impatience with Mooch, but not with Joey. I think Matt being a former player and TV analyst has given him some insight beyond the financials of the team. I think he is fairly evaluating Joeys performance based on his inexperience, change of coaches, lack of supporting cast, and lack of playmaking ability from the playbook itself. Whether Mooch wants Garcia in doesn't matter. Steve answers to Matt, and Matt wasn't really all that interested in Garcia until Warner signed with the Cards. If Mariucci pulls a bonehead manuever and puts Garcia in for no good reason, I fully expect Matt to reprimand him privately and show him very little public support. That's about what Mariucci has been doing to Joey. Putting the blame on our young QB for our Head Coaches lack of ingenuity and showing very little confidence in Harrington publicly. I mean, what kind of HC says dropped balls are a result of the way the ball was thrown?

April 12th, 2005, 8:18 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Well said Mike. I agree and would just add one further point. Millen is on the last year of his deal. Mooch still has three years running. If it does get into a power struggle that all could figure into it too. After all would Millen saddle Mooch with a signal caller he seems to personally dislike as a lameduck? Is Millen pondering retirement? Wouldn't acceding to Mooch be the path of least resistance? What if Mooch draws a line in the sand? Would Millen fire him? How would that look after the Marty debacle. Like I said-"Rift watch".

April 12th, 2005, 8:49 pm
Site Admin

I believe Millen has prooven his value despite a rocky start. The Fords are notoriously loyal and will back him up. I think Mooch knows his place and really think he wanted McMike to have a shot but we never saw him thus making me believe that in this power struggle there is no power struggle because they realize the pecking order.

I am more interested in the OC and DC and what they do with the talent they are given. Juron I hope takes advantage of the speed and athleticism his players have. He plays far too safe for my liking.

April 12th, 2005, 9:01 pm
Profile WWW
Stadium Announcer

I agree with what you've said.

Except I heard that Bill "2" ordered the draft of Joey not Millen.

Either way this is the first year Joey has a running game and receivers who can hold on to the ball. At least thats the picture.

I'm also encouraged by Tollner calling the plays. Mooch was so predictable that he DC's knew what he would do two plays ahead of him.

What was Mooch's fasinication with the dump off, on third and four, for two yards and not going for the first down? Yeah I know he expected the RB to pick up the extra yards. But when it failed over and over again why didn't he call something different?

April 12th, 2005, 9:02 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

I'm not going to worry about, were going to end up re-structuring his contract, Jeff will put lots of presure under his arse and Joe will be a stud!

Michael Huff for DROY

April 12th, 2005, 9:04 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next