View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 31st, 2014, 11:49 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Lions Team Report per USA Today 
Site Admin

Post Lions Team Report per USA Today
Some interesting tid bits in there about Joey and Alex Smith QB

USA TODAY wrote:

Inside Slant
Maybe it's because Matt Millen was a linebacker himself; he just can't get enough good ones for the Lions and he can't stop tinkering with them now.
Millen has drafted four linebackers in the past two years ? Boss Bailey and James Davis in 2003, Teddy Lehman and Alex Lewis in 2004 ? and said recently he will consider taking another in the upcoming draft.

The question now, is how the Lions will get all of them ? and veteran Earl Holmes - on the field and where they'll be lined up when they get into the 2005 season.

"When we drafted Teddy Lehman, you said, 'This is a kid who's got great speed, who is a smart kid, who understands the game,' " Millen said recently. "He also has areas of the game he has to improve on, but you draft him for the middle.

"That's what I took him for and that's what I'd still like to look at him as. If you put him in the middle of that defense, you get Boss out there on one side and JD (Davis) on the other side, that's a pretty athletic, fast group of linebackers."

There could be a couple of sticking points, however.

Holmes, at 32, isn't exactly on his last legs yet. "Earl Holmes has been productive, he's smart," Millen said. "Earl's one of those guys that ? when he's in there ? does things effortlessly, little things that you don't notice until he's not in there."

And Bailey, who started all 16 games as a rookie at the strong side linebacker, is coming off knee surgery that cost him the entire 2004 season. Although he is reportedly on schedule in his rehab work, knee injuries are always a cause for concern.

And it could be reason enough for Millen to look for yet another linebacker, especially if one of the good ones - that would include Derrick Johnson of Texas - happens to be available when the Lions make their first pick of the draft at No. 10.

NOTES, QUOTES

? Wide receiver Braylon Edwards, who is expected to be one of the first players taken in the NFL draft, has mixed feelings about the possibility of being drafted by his hometown team - the Detroit Lions.

"To be honest, I'm from Detroit and played at Michigan, so if I went to Detroit that would just be right up my ally, right down the street," Edwards said, during a visit to the Lions' Allen Park headquarters.

"If I play here in front of my hometown, that would be a lot of support and a lot of fun."

On the other hand, the Lions have the No. 10 pick in the draft and - as much as he'd enjoy playing for them - he's hoping he will be drafted much earlier in the first round.

? The Lions apparently have an interest in both Alex Smiths available in the NFL draft.

The Detroit sports talk radio was buzzing last week with a report that the Lions would meet with Alex Smith, the Utah quarterback.

The Joey Harrington critics were convinced the team had undergone a change of heart and was in the process of going after Smith in the draft but the Lions quietly shot down the report, saying it was only a rumor and that the team had no intention of bringing in the Utah quarterback for a meeting at its Allen Park headquarters.

Instead, it was hinted, that the Lions would meet with the other Alex Smith ? the tight end from Stanford.

Well, it turns out the Lions did, indeed, meet with Alex Smith, the quarterback, and it appears they will meet with Alex Smith, the tight end, sometime before the draft April 23.

The explanation for the original denial is unclear but in the days leading up to the draft, teams will go to exceptional lengths to guard the secrecy of their plans. That apparently was the case.

It is unclear exactly how much interest the Lions have in drafting a quarterback. Coach Steve Mariucci recently reiterated Harrington's status as the No. 1 quarterback with Jeff Garcia as the backup, and it is doubtful the Lions want to turn over their vastly-improved offense to a rookie.

Their interest in Alex Smith, the tight end, is more logical. They recently signed Marcus Pollard, who will be their fourth starter at that position in four years. By drafting a tight end they would provide a long-term solution to the situation.

QUOTE TO NOTE: "For the next two weeks you're going to see me in some form of baby blue." ? Lions cornerback Dre' Bly on his intention to wear the colors of his alma mater North Carolina, in honor of the Tar Heels' NCAA basketball championship.

STRATEGY AND PERSONNEL

NEEDS/DRAFT PRIORITIES

1. Wide receiver. The Lions need some depth at the wideouts. They like their young WRs - Roy Williams and Charles Rogers - but Rogers has played in only six games in two seasons because of injuries and the Lions need more production than they got in 2004 from Tai Streets and Az-Zahir Hakim. Corey Bradford has been the only WR to visit.

2. Offensive lineman. RT Stockar McDougle signed with Miami, leaving the Lions with two inexperienced young players - Victor Rogers and Kelly Butler - to compete for the starting job. They're prepared to go that way but might be tempted by a quality prospect in the mid-rounds of the draft.

3. Pass rusher. Not an extremely high priority but president Matt Millen would be tempted by either a DE or OLB who could give the Lions some speed from the outside.

FRANCHISE PLAYER: None.

TRANSITION PLAYER: None.

UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENTS: QB Rick Mirer; DT Kelvin Pritchett; CB Dainon Sidney; WR Tai Streets; WR Reggie Swinton; FB Stephen Trejo.

RESTRICTED FREE AGENTS: WR Eddie Drummond; S Vernon Fox; CB Andre Goodman; OT Victor Rogers.

EXCLUSIVE RIGHTS FREE AGENTS: None.

PLAYERS RE-SIGNED: DT Marcus Bell; OT Sean Bubin; CB Chris Cash; CB Mike Echols; TE Casey FitzSimmons; OG Tyrone Hopson; WR David Kircus; LS Jody Littleton; LS Don Muhlbach; LB Wali Rainer; C Dominic Raiola; WR Scottie Vines; S Bracy Walker.

PLAYERS ACQUIRED: TE Stephen Alexander; G Rick DeMulling; QB Jeff Garcia; S Kenoy Kennedy; TE Marcus Pollard; RB Jamel White.

PLAYERS LOST: TE Stephen Alexander; CB Rod Babers; RT Stockar McDougle; QB Mike McMahon; S Brian Walker.

April 13th, 2005, 12:27 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

What happened with Jody Littleton last year? IR?

It says that we acquired Stephen Alexander, weird.

They re-signed Kircus? I wasn't aware he was a FA. Bad move. I'd take Swinton over Kircus. Vines re-signed? When did these happen?

April 13th, 2005, 12:54 pm
Site Admin

We both acquired and lost Stephan A. lol. I missed that the 1st time around :lol:

April 13th, 2005, 1:38 pm
Profile WWW
QB Coach

Here that Mike? Teddy is a ILB... per Millen's quote...

April 13th, 2005, 3:16 pm
Profile WWW
QB Coach

BTW, I thought that was a finely written article, for what it's worth...

April 13th, 2005, 3:18 pm
Profile WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

And it could be reason enough for Millen to look for yet another linebacker, especially if one of the good ones - that would include Derrick Johnson of Texas - happens to be available when the Lions make their first pick of the draft at No. 10.

Who else would we take at LB besides DJ? :?

April 13th, 2005, 6:46 pm
Profile WWW
Varsity Captain

:arrow: Take DJ, slide Teddy to the middle and WOW! I also wasn't aware of the Lions resigning Kirkus, what a waste. Swinton made more sense.

:arrow:

April 13th, 2005, 7:25 pm
Profile YIM
RIP Killer

I question moving Teddy to MLB. Some players you can convert, I don't think Teddy is one of them. I think we need a TRUE MLB, leave Teddy at WILL.

April 13th, 2005, 8:43 pm
Varsity Captain

:arrow: Just the other day I read that Millen said he drafted Teddy for the middle. He also commented on how good he thought Davis and Bailey on the outside of Lehman would make the line backing corps. I believe I read that at the Detroit News, Freep or the Lions official web site(alzhymers again).

Personally, I think Teddy would be fine in the middle if we picked up another
big stud to team up with "Big Baby" in the middle. He really needs to add some more upper body strength, but overall I think he'll be fine.

:arrow:

April 14th, 2005, 8:00 pm
Profile YIM
National Champion

I question moving Teddy to MLB. Some players you can convert, I don't think Teddy is one of them. I think we need a TRUE MLB, leave Teddy at WILL.

You know how our friends at the mlive and the official board would solve this little quandry, don't you? "3-4 THAT WOULD B AWEZOME!...DJ AND LEHMAN AND BAILEY AND DIRTY DAVIS WATCHOUT AND I HATE JOEY BECAUSE HE PLAYS PIANO AND IS NOT A REAL MAN."

April 14th, 2005, 8:07 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

Detroit is not going to run a 3-4 because...

...playing Big Baby at NT would be a complete waste.

...Bailey is not big enough to play SLB in 3-4 you need more of "Tweener" like Terrell Suggs.

...Again you need "Tweeners" to play defense end, DeVires and Redding could but Hall and Edwards wouldn't be big enough.

---Finally James Davis isn't much better than back-up from what I've seen. Missed way too many tackles last year.

April 14th, 2005, 8:42 pm
National Champion

Detroit is not going to run a 3-4 because...

...playing Big Baby at NT would be a complete waste.

...Bailey is not big enough to play SLB in 3-4 you need more of "Tweener" like Terrell Suggs.

...Again you need "Tweeners" to play defense end, DeVires and Redding could but Hall and Edwards wouldn't be big enough.

---Finally James Davis isn't much better than back-up from what I've seen. Missed way too many tackles last year.

I completely agree. I was trying to poke fun at those who think that we should run a 3-4. Shaun Rogers ain't no Jerry Ball.

April 14th, 2005, 9:38 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Leo- completely disagree with your assessment of James Davis. He did miss some tackles but he does a great job of getting away from blockers without taking the path of least resistance (eh eh Teddy Lehman) and he is a hard hitter with speed. Really just his 2nd season as a LB as he converted after college but was undersized as a rookie...The guy is definitely starter caliber and was a big upgrade over Barrett Green. I think he has a better shot at MLB than lehman...

April 16th, 2005, 11:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]