View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 30th, 2014, 12:48 pm

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Lions make Kosier an offer 
RIP Killer

Post Lions make Kosier an offer
According to John Clayton

Detroit Lions: The Lions are taking a painless shot to add depth to their offensive line by signing San Francisco 49ers restricted free agent Kyle Kosier to a one-year offer sheet for around $1 million.

The likelihood is that the 49ers, who have $3.9 million of cap room, will match, but they are going to take their chance anyway. The Lions have a hole at right tackle after they elected not to re-sign Stockar McDougle. Kosier was always popular with Lions offensive line coach Pat Morris, whom he coached when he was in San Francisco.

The 49ers have until next week to decide whether or not to match the sheet. If they don't, they would receive a seventh-round choice from the Lions. Kosier was given the low tender at $656,000. He was a seventh-round choice in 2002 and has started at guard during his 49ers tenure.

The 6-5, 293-pound Kosier played his college ball at Arizona State. He could be a candidate to play right tackle if he stays in San Francisco and if the 49ers don't have confidence Kwame Harris can make the transition from left tackle to right tackle.

April 13th, 2005, 1:12 pm
Hall of Fame Player

This irritates me in every way imaginable.

First, I would have never spent the cap money on him when we need help at WR and CB which I consider to be bigger priorities.

Second, there are other free agent tackles who are just as good and would not cost a pick. Even a 7th round has value.

Third, the notion of migrating virtually everyone who becomes available from a 2 - 14 team, just because coaches know them, means that we place mediocre players on the roster. When we brought in Dre Bly and Damion Woody one of the reasons was because they had been in winning programs. They knew how to win. We already have plenty of players who know how to lose, we don't need more.

Forth, why did we draft Kelly Butler then? Wasn't this why he was brought on board, in case McDougale left?

The only good thing out of this is that Victor Rogers is probably gone. And all he ever did was shine the bench with his rectum.

April 13th, 2005, 2:06 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Maybe they should change the name of the team to the "Detroit 49ers." Either way, I expect SF to match the offer for Kosier. It's stupid to give up a 7th rounder for a player who was a 7th rounder (who played OG in SF and is not starting quality).

April 13th, 2005, 2:10 pm
Hall of Fame Player

It's a Million Bucks!! Why would they overpay for a player when they can have an extra pick instead?

They're going to do what we should have done - Not pay him $1 mill.!!

If his tender was $656K why did we need to offer a Million Bucks?!!

M & M must have no confidence in Butler and are planning to not tender an offer to Victor Rogers (RFA).

April 13th, 2005, 2:23 pm
Profile WWW
QB Coach

It's around one million... there hasn't been a report out that stated we gave him one million...

We may have just matched the tender offer, we may have not...

Nothing has happened, nothing's official. It may be just speculation that it was a million dollars.

April 13th, 2005, 3:21 pm
Profile WWW
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

I kinda like the move, because its better then drafting an O-lineman and I think he'll be worth a 6th or 7th rounder, or what ever his compensation is...

Michael Huff for DROY

April 13th, 2005, 4:14 pm
Profile WWW
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

A 6th round lineman is a major project. This guy could start. At that salary why not try it? Good insurance as Rogers and Butler battle it out. Also Backus was hurt last year. Nice to have veteran depth. If Backus got hurt and Rogers and Butler both had to start that could sink your season right there.

April 13th, 2005, 4:57 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Don't we still have Matt Joyce for veteran back up at OT?

April 13th, 2005, 5:51 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Kosier has never started at OT for the Niners as far as I know. He's always played OG there. Please correct me if I'm wrong! But that's as far as I know. He may know the plays at RT, but can he be effective there. As a 7th round pick 3 years ago having never played OT, I would have to think not.

April 13th, 2005, 6:55 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Yeah thats a good pointe on Matt Joyce, we dont really need anymore depth as a matter of fact...

Michael Huff for DROY

April 13th, 2005, 7:19 pm
Profile WWW

Joyce is "more" of a guard. Apparently Kosier is slated to "challenge" Harris at RT. They seem to both be pretty versatile.

April 13th, 2005, 10:55 pm

According to Chewy Kosier would replace Joyce as Mr. Versatility. That makes sense except for Joyce's salary. Apparently the feeling is that Kosier would be an upgrade. I really don't know enough to judge. Joyce is surely no star. Apparently the 49ers only have a tad under 4 million cap room, but they could match and clear space later. The offer was under a million according to rumors.

April 13th, 2005, 11:09 pm
RIP Killer

Well, we have about as much cap space as the Niners do, maybe a couple 100K more. Not by much. Last I knew, Lions had about $4.5M to play with after all RFAs signed tenders. I would think Joyce would be better, since he knows the offense much better and has been around longer. If they're looking to go to someone younger, then Kosier could fit there. Personally we have enough back ups along the OL, we need some solid young starters like Robert Gallery last year. A guy who will anchor the OL.

April 14th, 2005, 7:50 am
Hall of Fame Player

I agree with Yorick, I really can't judge the difference between Joyce, Kosier, Butler and Victor Rogers (other than their respective values on Madden). And I don't know all their cap numbers either.

In case anybody care here's the latest (1/Apr.) on the cap status.

Below is the amount of money each team is under the $85.5 million salary cap for 2005 as of April 1.

TEAM-BY-TEAM SALARY CAP UPDATE
Arizona Cardinals $8 million
Atlanta Falcons $564,000
Baltimore Ravens $7 million
Buffalo Bills $6.2 million
Carolina Panthers $3.29 million
Chicago Bears $6.16 million
Cincinnati Bengals $5.16 million
Cleveland Browns $8.6 million
Dallas Cowboys $9.73 million
Denver Broncos $125,000
Detroit Lions $3.54 million
Green Bay Packers $6 million
Houston Texans $3.83 million
Indianapolis Colts $8.176 million
Jacksonville Jaguars $11.3 million
Kansas City Chiefs $1.874 million
Miami Dolphins $1.11 million
Minnesota Vikings $9.39 million
New England Patriots $532,000
New Orleans Saints $1.165 million
New York Giants $1.317 million
New York Jets $1.57 million
Oakland Raiders $57,000
Philadelphia Eagles $8.52 million
Pittsburgh Steelers $3 million
St. Louis Rams $5.4 million
San Diego Chargers $1.83 million
San Francisco 49ers $4.74 million
Seattle Seahawks $1.83 million
Tampa Bay Buccaneers $218,000
Tennessee Titans $2.26 million
Washington Redskins $1.39 million

John Clayton is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com.

April 14th, 2005, 8:23 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

That just goes to show that if Kosier is worth a half a crap for the NINERS than they would match the offer since they know they have more to offer than we do.

April 14th, 2005, 9:06 am
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next