View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 23rd, 2014, 10:21 am

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Killer's 4/13 Chat Transcript 
Modmin Dude

Post Killer's 4/13 Chat Transcript
http://www.mlive.com/lions/stories/index.ssf?/stories/lions/20050413chat_transcript.html

There is some interesting stuff in there, here are a few:

Quote:
TomKowalski says OK FELLAS .... YOU READY FOR THE TOP NINE PICKS??? [Kowalski is the Lions insider for The Sporting News, who held their insider mock draft. These are the picks made by the beat reporters, and Killer made the pick for the Lions.]
TomKowalski says RODGERS, EDWARDS AND DERRICK JOHNSON
TomKowalski says R. BROWN, M. WILLIAMS AND C. BENSON
TomKowalski says THEN PACMAN JONES, ANTREL ROLLE AND TROY WILLIAMSON ...
TomKowalski says WITH THAT LINEUP, WHO DO YOU THINK I CHOSE???
rickguy43 says Barron
flionlion says Merriman
Ron Mexico says Tom- Mark my word, Carlos Rogers

ericd21 says DJ
TomKowalski says DJ WENT NO. 3

JDouble32 says Killa that isn't in a specific order is it.
TomKowalski says YES, THAT'S THE SPECIFIC ORDER

TomKowalski says HERE'S WHO I PICKED ....
TomKowalski says ALEX SMITH, QUARTERBACK FROM UTAH ....
proof says WOw
consordia says lol
rixico says I agree, that's a good pick
proof says Joey hater
TomKowalski says FELLAS ... I TOOK SMITH, NOT BECAUSE THE LIONS REALLY WANT A QUARTERBACK BUT BECAUSE THE OTHER OPTIONS WEREN'T THERE ... THE LIONS WANT JOHNSON OR ONE OF THE TWO CORNERBACKS ... I THINK THEY'D TAKE SMITH FOR VALUE ... BETTER TO HAVE TWO GOOD YOUNG QUARTERBACKS THAN, POSSIBLY, NONE ...

SYPRESS says Killer you see any trade down realisticly happening with the lions?
TomKowalski says YES, YES ... BEFORE TAKING SMITH, THE LIONS WILL TRY LIKE HECK TO TRADE DOWN ... BUT WHAT TEAMS BELOW THEM REALLY WANT SMITH? ..THEY HAVE QBS

DieHard says Joey is such a media darling, huh, Tom?
TomKowalski says HARRINGTON IS FINE ... HE'S DOING HIS BEST TO PUT THE RUMORS AND SPECULATION BEHIND HIM ... I THINK HE JUST WANTS A CHANCE TO PROVE HE CAN DO IT ...

JDouble32 says Killa have they given you all any hint of what they plan on doing to change there schems offensively and defensively within the offseason to take advantage of there playmakers on both sides of the ball?
TomKowalski says IN TALKING TO HARRINGTON, I REALLY LIKE WHAT THEY'RE GOING TO CHANGE OFFENSIVELY ... THEY'RE GOING TO PUT MORE RESPONSIBILITY ON THE QB'S SHOULDERS AND LESS ON THE RECEIVERS ... IT'S A LITTLE COMPLICATED TO EXPLAIN HERE, BUT I LIKE IT ...

King Killer says Tom - I hear Derek Johnson is sliding down the board, are the lions still interested in him?
TomKowalski says I THINK THE LIONS WANT ONE OF THE TWO CORNERBACKS FIRST AND FOREMOST ... THEN JOHNSON ... THEN IT'S A TOSS-UP ...

detroitdan says Tom if the Lions draft Rolle what does that do to Bly and Bryant?
TomKowalski says BLY AND BRYANT WOULD START AND ROLLE WOULD BE THE NICKEL BACK ... OF COURSE, THEY JUST MIGHT PLAY THE GUY WHO'S PLAYING THE BEST ... COULD BE A ROTATION ... IT'S A GOOD PROBLEM TO HAVE ...

April 14th, 2005, 11:13 am
RIP Killer

Thanks for the post wags. I don't like the way that mock unfolded and am not thrilled with Killers selection. I think the Lions would be better served going with a DE (Merriman, Spears, etc.) or even Barron. You could make a case for M. Clayton as well. But it is just a mock.

I also don't like the fact that he said
Quote:
I THINK THE LIONS WANT ONE OF THE TWO CORNERBACKS FIRST AND FOREMOST ... THEN JOHNSON

DJ first and then we can look at the CBs (if the WRs are also off the board). If they are really thinking this way, then Carlos Rogers would also make sense (but the value of picking him at 10 is poor). I don't see a big gap between him and Pac Man.

They also had C. Williams slipping out of the top ten and T. Williamson moving up.

April 14th, 2005, 11:41 am
Profile WWW
Modmin Dude

Honestly I'm not sure if I would like to see us get Alex Smith, QB this year or wait to see if we can get Matt Leinhart next year if Joey doesn't pan out. I wouldn't mind having 2 good, young QBs like the Chargers have. When, if ever, have the Lions had 2 good, young QBs??? I would rather have too many good QBs than not enough. Haven't we been through enough years of lousy QB play??? It seems to me the one position that has really sucked for a long time (since Layne???)

April 14th, 2005, 11:51 am
RIP Killer

I agree with most of what you said Pablo.

The comment about wanting a CB first and foremost, I think is not true. I don't see why they would honestly consider Pac-Man. I think Keith Smith has much more to prove and can be just as good as Pac-Man. I would definately consider Rolle if M&M think he can play FS. Plus, he would be a huge value pick and we would definately get some trade offers.

Barron or a DE would be MUCH more useful than a nickel back.

I also agree with the fact that there isn't a huge gap, talent wise, between Pac-Man and Rogers. I don't see Pac-Man worthy of a top ten pick either.

I could see Cadillac moving down and Williamson moving up...teams covet the speedy WRs and speedy CBs now. So much focus is put on speed now. That why i think after the top 3 CBs taken, Fabian Washington will be the next off the board because he can FLY!

April 14th, 2005, 11:56 am
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

The CB stuff resembles Chewy's remarks, horror, the horror. I do not think the Top 10 will play out that way. If Alex Smith did fall they would consider him I am sure. But picking him would be a last resort. Kowalski has been hitting the QB for ratings the whole offseason. Where there is smoke there is fire. But Kowalski often does not know what is really burning.

April 14th, 2005, 12:02 pm
RIP Killer

Honestly I'm not sure if I would like to see us get Alex Smith, QB this year or wait to see if we can get Matt Leinhart next year if Joey doesn't pan out. I wouldn't mind having 2 good, young QBs like the Chargers have. When, if ever, have the Lions had 2 good, young QBs??? I would rather have too many good QBs than not enough. Haven't we been through enough years of lousy QB play??? It seems to me the one position that has really sucked for a long time (since Layne???)

But do you consider Frye, Campbell (I probably wouldn't take him due to inconsistancy), McPherson, Gino, LeFors, etc. to be good QBs? I would, but I wouldn't call them anything beyond that. Alex Smith is a notch above those guys though, but he's not a stellar prospect IMO.

Smith did play out of the shotgun, I wouldn't mind seeing more of that in the Lions' offense. Plus...the kid is brilliant and knows football better than most. He could be a 2nd year starter.

I think if Joey doesn't pan out this year, all of these guys will need more than a year of clipboard experience to step it up and play.

April 14th, 2005, 12:02 pm
Modmin Dude

But do you consider Frye, Campbell (I probably wouldn't take him due to inconsistancy), McPherson, Gino, LeFors, etc. to be good QBs? I would, but I wouldn't call them anything beyond that. Alex Smith is a notch above those guys though, but he's not a stellar prospect IMO.

I'll admit I'm not too familiar with the other guys you've listed although I've heard that McPherson would be a really good pick up. I'm just frustrated with all the below average QBs that we've have. Mitchell (1 year wonder), Peete (BUST), Batch (Injury prone), McMahon (Athletic but not accuarate passer) and the list goes on. JMHO

April 14th, 2005, 12:10 pm
RIP Killer

I'm just frustrated with all the below average QBs that we've have. Mitchell (1 year wonder), Peete (BUST), Batch (Injury prone), McMahon (Athletic but not accuarate passer) and the list goes on. JMHO

I can agree there...frustration is a nice way to put it.

Nfldraftcountdown has decent scouting reports on players if you're interested in any of the QBs in the draft. It doesn't compare to game film obviously, but it's somewhat informative.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/rankings/qb.html

April 14th, 2005, 12:24 pm
Modmin Dude

Thanx conversion, I'll have to check it out.

April 14th, 2005, 12:25 pm

"DieHard says Joey is such a media darling, huh, Tom?
TomKowalski says HARRINGTON IS FINE ... HE'S DOING HIS BEST TO PUT THE RUMORS AND SPECULATION BEHIND HIM ... I THINK HE JUST WANTS A CHANCE TO PROVE HE CAN DO IT ..."

I thought this rather funny. Isn't K the pitch man that started the controversy?

April 14th, 2005, 3:09 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

"DieHard says Joey is such a media darling, huh, Tom?
TomKowalski says HARRINGTON IS FINE ... HE'S DOING HIS BEST TO PUT THE RUMORS AND SPECULATION BEHIND HIM ... I THINK HE JUST WANTS A CHANCE TO PROVE HE CAN DO IT ..."

I thought this rather funny. Isn't K the pitch man that started the controversy?

ROTFL :arrow:

I think that Killer is a little egotisical and is using the Alex Smith pick to put him and his opinion in the spotlight.

April 14th, 2005, 3:18 pm
Profile WWW
5th Round Pick - Traded

Ok, I understand Killer jumped of the Harrington bandwagon when he got 8-8 wrong but drafting Alex Smith just doesn't make any sense.

Outside of the Vikings all teams ahead of Detroit have a as great or greater need for a QB. But all those teams passed on Smith. Why? maybe because he's from the pass happy Mountain West Conference where they don't play defense and turn out such great QB as BYU's Ty Detmer and record setting Utah Ute Scott Mitchell.

Where I really disagree with him is ?I THINK THEY'D TAKE SMITH FOR VALUE?. Come draft day QBs are always over valued. Everybody knows Rodgers is not the best player in the draft but the 49ers are expected to take him because he?s a QB and they need a QB. You would get better value out out a QB in the later rounds.

If the Lions really wanted to draft a boom or bust player, which is what I think Smith is than it would make more sense to draft Merriman or Barron at #10 if they couldn't trade down.

April 15th, 2005, 12:51 am
QB Coach

Outside of the Vikings all teams ahead of Detroit have a as great or greater need for a QB. But all those teams passed on Smith. Why? maybe because he's from the pass happy Mountain West Conference where they don't play defense and turn out such great QB as BYU's Ty Detmer and record setting Utah Ute Scott Mitchell.

Or maybe it's just the simple fact that those teams have other needs to fill, and there are players equal or greater at other need areas that other teams could take.

If Miami was to take Brown over Smith, it's not a knock on Smith... more of the fact that they have a much larger need at RB. No analysis needed.

April 15th, 2005, 3:01 pm
Profile WWW
5th Round Pick - Traded

General rule of thumb is if you don't have a francise QB and you have the opportunity to draft one you do. It's how the Lions wound up with Harrington, Bengals with Palmer and so on. None of top 10 teams have a francise QB outside of the Vikings.

All I'm saying is if these teams pass on Smith it's more likely that Smith might not be the francise QB they are hyping him to be and the Lions should do the same thing and pass on him also. After all they have greater needs too.

April 16th, 2005, 12:54 am

value would be Stefon Lefors late, or mcpherson with an extra pick gained by trading down. Hard to get value with 10th pick overall...I really doubt the Lions would take Smith at this point in the draft.

April 16th, 2005, 11:08 am
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next