View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 23rd, 2014, 6:10 am

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 Highlight Reel 4/15 
Modmin Dude

Post Highlight Reel 4/15
Friday, April 15, 2005

Killer clarifies TSN mock draft
Tom Kowalski is The Sporting News Lions insider, among his many other insider jobs, and they have a mock draft where their insiders make picks for their respective teams. After all the Lions' targets were taken in the top 9, Killer picked Utah QB Alex Smith for Detroit at No. 10. He also discussed this during his Wednesday chat.

While co-hosting on Sports Radio 1130 Detroit's Jamie and Brady Show, Kowalski discussed his TSN pick, and many callers supported the pick after hearing his explanation. Not our forum. He's getting roasted for that pick. He responded this morning.

4.15.05 - TomKowalski: Gimme a break ... i took smith at 10 because he was still there ... i didn't say he'd still be there; the other beat writers selected someone else ... that's on them, not me ...

For those of you who didn't hear his logic on the air, he explains that when all primary Lions targets are gone you have to pick the best player available.

But it wasn't just that -- this team is actually going to be good, and they could be good for a number of years. If Harrington doesn't pan out, they will not be able to be in position to pick a top QB via the draft. So when Garcia ends up retiring, they'll be up a creek once again.

So you take Smith, and you hope and pray for a Drew Brees-Philip Rivers situation. The worst-case scenario is that they pay out a lot of money to a first round NFL bust, and the other one pans out.

Print | Send To A Friend | Permalink (Learn More)

USC's Williams says he is not a TE
In response to the story that the Lions like USC WR Mike Williams as a tight end, the Seattle Post Intelligencer asks Williams about a switch.

It is a combination that has some NFL teams wondering if former USC wide receiver Mike Williams might be better suited to playing tight end. "He's another one of those big guys that can get real big, and I'm sure at some point in time if he gets real big he'll end up changing positions," said Tennessee Titans general manager Floyd Reese, going on the record with an assessment others will offer only in a whisper and behind a cupped hand.

Mike Williams a tight end? Is that why this kid (he turned 21 in January) waited an entire year to finally gain entrance to the draft, so he could become a tight end?

The look on Williams' face when the subject is broached says -- no, screams -- don't go there.

"I am," he said, "a wide receiver."

And I will attempt to draw a conclusion based on today's Free Press story follow up about the Alex Smith (QB) visit. Matt Millen talks about prospects, and how to determine if the Lions are interested. I guess the Lions aren't high on Williams.

"I think anybody we bring in here is a prospect for us -- every single guy we brought in -- or we wouldn't have brought them in."
Three of the four top-rated wide receiver prospects have visited the Lions. They are Braylon Edwards of Michigan, Troy Williamson of South Carolina and Mark Clayton of Oklahoma, leaving Mike Williams of Southern Cal as the only top-20-caliber receiver who hasn't visited.

Personally, when I look at Williams I see Keyshawn Johnson's and Plaxico Burress' love child. What does that mean? Well, I don't think he's a superstar.

http://www.mlive.com/weblogs/highlightreel/

April 15th, 2005, 10:23 am
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]