View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 23rd, 2014, 12:35 pm

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Goodman finally signed to new contract 
NFL Veteran

5'10 is like the average height of an nfl corner.

What's most important for a CB is change of direction ability and being fluid at it. It falls under the agility generalization. Often times football heads refer to it as recovery speed. Usually with increased height and weight, agility decreases, reducing their coverage ability. It is more important for a corner to stay step for step with a receiver than being tall as him. In fact you prefer a smallish corner to be in a receivers facemask step for step rather than a corner that sizes up up a receiver but gives him cushion all day because he can't keep up.

Some physics to this? Momentum.

p=mv

momentum equals mass times velocity. Basically defined as being hard to change direction. More momentum makes harder to change direction. I guess we are increasing mass in this case with bigger corners.

The other physics deal is moments of intertia. 2nd moment of intertia to be more specific. I guess in laymans terms... the longer the cornerback in his limbs... the harder it is to do work.

Therefore smallish corners have an easier time covering because of there change of direction ability, agility, recovery speed, lower momentum, closer 2nd moment of intertia.

5'10" seems to be the mean size of a corner that has that balance between coverage skill and height. So I wouldn't be worried about our guys.

I agree it'd be nice to have a bigger one though... but that's still a luxury.

April 16th, 2005, 10:48 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

momentum equals mass times velocity. Basically defined as being hard to change direction. More momentum makes harder to change direction. I guess we are increasing mass in this case with bigger corners.

The other physics deal is moments of intertia. 2nd moment of intertia to be more specific. I guess in laymans terms... the longer the cornerback in his limbs... the harder it is to do work.

Therefore smallish corners have an easier time covering because of there change of direction ability, agility, recovery speed, lower momentum, closer 2nd moment of intertia..

While I can't disagree here, because it's entirely true, I can't imagine two inches on a CB would have much of an impact on the moment of inertia of the player.

The longer the limbs, the larger moment of inertia (I) since it is harder to produce work the larger the radius is. But we're talking about a couple of inches here, which might make changing direction a few milliseconds from what it otherwise would be. Theoretically, it would have an impact, but in a game it wouldn't be noticable.

April 16th, 2005, 11:04 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Quantum physics aside... My point about height is that when a 5'10" CB jumps for the ball against a 6' plus WR the odds of a deflected pass, let alone an interception, are reduced. And reduced significantly in certain circumstances.

I'm just tired of Randy Moss type receivers catching the ball over the heads of 3 defensive players; And we have all seen that happen countless times. There's a ton of factors that go into the success of a guy like Dre Bly (5'9") or the failure of a guy like Jacoby Shephard (6'3"). Obviously Bly's stature has not effected his game play in a negative way and Shephard's didn't save him.

IMO, BSand2053 said it best when he said "Goodman is a valuable depth guy. He has had injury problems, but it is a good signing."

I agree he's a valuable depth guy - but I lean more towards him being an OK signing. I would have probably signed Goodman over Cash - but not both. (Unless the price was just to good to pass up). I would have rather signed one of the other veteran FA's out there.

Bottom line is (unless something happens in the draft) we are going into the season with the same secondary that we had last year...

What was our record again last year...?

April 17th, 2005, 7:47 am
Profile WWW
League MVP

The Lions added Kenoy Kennedy to be there starting SS this season where fill in Bracy Walker was a liability and starter Brian Walker struggled... Expect guys like Keith Smith (2nd year) and Chris Cash (2 years away from knee surgery) to improve. Goodman's problem is not physical, he has mental lapses. Cash and Goodman are not automatics to make this team if they dont play well in camp we could be looking at the waiver wire bc there contracts are not guaranteed and we have had a good long look at both...
Overall I think that the secondary has improved. The depth with talented guys like Holt and Keith Smith is more dependable now that they have had a little time. Still dont have anyone behind Kennedy though unless Boss Bailey is feeling adventurous...

April 17th, 2005, 10:14 am
Varsity Benchwarmer

Location: Tampa, Florida...my pool is 90 today and it'll be 90 for Christmas morning!
Anybody with a 6'2 frame gets turned into a saftey or linebacker once they get to college. All these guys are rb's at there highschool then once they get put on a college weight program (and I do mean weight) anybody with a large frame gets turned into a monster. If he has good hands he becomes Braylon Edwards, if not he learns to take peoples heads off. Athletes that are 6'0 and lower are turned into CB's and we all know there are a ton of gifted athletes that fall into that category thus the DB is born and will continue in this mold indefinetly. Where else they gonna go?

April 17th, 2005, 6:00 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Now we just need Eddie Drummond to re-sign...

Michael Huff for DROY

April 17th, 2005, 6:03 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2