View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 17th, 2014, 9:29 pm

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Lions sign MLB Brad Kassell to offer sheet 
QB Coach

Post Lions sign MLB Brad Kassell to offer sheet
But....

Quote:
Agent: Titans will likely keep Kassell
By Terry McCormick, tmccormick@nashvillecitypaper.com
April 15, 2005

The agent for Tennessee Titans linebacker Brad Kassell believes the team will be inclined to match an offer sheet from the Detroit Lions for the linebacker?s services.

Kassell, a restricted free agent, signed a one-year offer sheet with the Lions Wednesday worth a total of $1 million, giving the Titans seven days to match the deal or allow Kassell to go to Detroit.

?I believe they probably will match the offer, but you never know,? agent Jordan Woy said.

The Titans tendered Kassell, who will compete with Rocky Calmus for the starting middle linebacker job if he remains in Tennessee, at the lowest $656,000 level, but guaranteed the money in exchange for a right of first refusal next year.

One reason for Woy?s optimism in Kassell returning to the Titans is that he and general manager Floyd Reese spoke last week about the possibility of a long-term deal for the linebacker getting done sometime after next weekend?s draft.

Reese said if the Titans accept the offer, they would likely wait before deciding whether or not to invest in the linebacker long-term. The GM was mostly mum as to whether or not the team would ante up the extra $344,000 of cap money to keep Kassell in the fold.

?It?s a one-year offer, so it won?t affect the cap [long-term] really,? Reese said. ?We have a little bit of time to take a look at it. We have until probably next Tuesday to make some sort of decision.?

Kassell made his visit to the Lions last week and received and signed the offer sheet, putting the ball squarely in Tennessee?s court to either match the deal or free him to join the Lions.

?There were two or three teams that showed some interest in Brad, and Detroit brought him in for a visit and then gave him the offer sheet,? Woy said.

If the Titans were to lose Kassell, they would not be entitled to any compensation.

Kassell began last season a question mark because of an Achilles injury but ascended to the starting role because of a lingering back and leg injury to Calmus. Kassell was an undrafted free agent in 2001, who impressed Tennessee enough to land on the practice squad that year. He was later activated to the 53-man roster, where he has been a valuable special teams player.

According to Woy, the Lions would look for Kassell to compete for a starting job. Kassell recorded 19 tackles in the Titans? regular-season finale win over the Lions in January.

?That game against the Lions certainly didn?t hurt him,? Woy said.

If Kassell departs, the Titans still have considerable depth at linebacker. Calmus would move back into his old starting job and last year?s fifth-round pick Rob Reynolds would likely shift to the middle as the backup, leaving Rocky Boiman and Cody Spencer to back up starters Keith Bulluck and Peter Sirmon on the outside.

I remember that game... :cry:

April 15th, 2005, 9:10 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

I don't see why they wouldn't go after him, especially considering we wouldn't have to give up a pick for him since he was an UDFA. Wasn't he a backup MLB for Tennessee though? Would he be backing up Holmes this year and start next year?

April 16th, 2005, 9:18 am
QB Coach

Wasn't he a backup MLB for Tennessee though? Would he be backing up Holmes this year and start next year?

No... he was Tennessee's starting MLB.

Holmes may actually be a cap casualty.

April 16th, 2005, 1:30 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Tennessee signed Calmus, who must have been their backup MLB. With their cap the way it is, I wonder if they'll try to match the offer the Lions gave to Kassell. Didn't they have to sign Dyson?

April 16th, 2005, 2:48 pm
Stadium Announcer

I don't see why the Titans wouldn't match the offer. They do have some cap room and $350,000 isn't that much money to keep a starter. Unless they have plans for the draft.

April 16th, 2005, 5:11 pm
Baton Girl

April 16th, 2005, 5:17 pm
NFL Veteran

Awesome another Juve fan! Forza Juve!! The greatest FC in the world.

April 16th, 2005, 10:33 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

I don't see why the Titans wouldn't match the offer. They do have some cap room and $350,000 isn't that much money to keep a starter. Unless they have plans for the draft.

Nashville City Paper reports...

Kassell, a restricted free agent, signed a one-year offer sheet with the Lions Wednesday worth a total of $1 million, giving the Titans seven days to match the deal or allow Kassell to go to Detroit.

April 16th, 2005, 10:46 pm
Baton Girl

Settle down Honolulu_Blue before you have us run out of here :lol:

Honolulu_Blue wrote:
Awesome another Juve fan! Forza Juve!! The greatest FC in the world.

April 17th, 2005, 1:17 pm
NFL Team Captain

Actually Kassell was the backup MLB. He Started much of the year because Rocky Calmus was hurt.

The Titans will probably match the offer rather than waste a pick on another backup instead of paying the extra 350

April 17th, 2005, 1:28 pm
League MVP

i hope we get him. one year is worth the look. this guy played well down the stretch of the season including vs the Lions. I think DJ will be gone before our pick + this way we can keep Lehman playing OLB if this Kassel guy can earn himself a 2nd contract...

April 17th, 2005, 8:59 pm
RIP Killer

Jeff Fisher says the Titans are expecting to match the offer, but how can they do that with their cap trouble? Last I heard (about a week ago), the Titans only had about $800K of room to play with. Kassell's offer is nearly $1M. Anyone smell a cap violation costing them a pick?

April 20th, 2005, 9:53 am
Red Shirt Freshman

I heard on the radio (about 1:00pm) that the Titans have matched the offer and he will not becoming to Detroit

April 20th, 2005, 1:31 pm
Fair Weather Fan

Kassell started last season as the backup, but took Calmus' spot and went on to be second on the team in tackles. It was announced by Jeff Fisher that he would open training camp as the starter this year. They had already tendered him at $656,000 so the cap charge to match our offer would only be an extra $344,000. So yes, they can afford to resign him without a violation. Everything I'm reading says they "intend" to match, but if you remember, SF said they intended to match on Kosier for awhile too. I'm not holding my breath, but I would like to get him.

April 20th, 2005, 6:41 pm
Profile YIM
RIP Killer

Kassell started last season as the backup, but took Calmus' spot and went on to be second on the team in tackles.

That's what I had thought...

April 20th, 2005, 6:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next