View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 21st, 2014, 8:09 am

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Butler at RT. What do you think? 
Mr. Irrelevant

Post Butler at RT. What do you think?
Hey everyone this is my first time here but I have read some posts and everyone seems pretty knowlageble here. I don't get into a lot of Lions discussions down here in Ft. Lauderdale. Anyway what does everyone think about the possibility of Butler or Rodgers starting at RT? I really think Butler has a strong upside he was considered second round talent last year and he fell to us in the 6th round. I am hearing that the brass is confident in him. Should we buy it?

April 18th, 2005, 5:16 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Murtyle, Welcome to LionBacker. We're glad you're here.

My opinion is that I like Butler's potential a lot and I don't think he'll be a huge step down from McDougale. The issue with Butler, again IMO, is that he didn't play at all last year (literally not one snap) and that causes me great concern. He's not seasoned and it will be trial by fire for him. I here he's got a good work ethic and that encouraging to me.

As for Rogers I have no faith in him. Furthermore, I expect that if the 49ers don't match the offer we made to Kyle Kosier that Victor Rogers will be gone. I hear good things about Kosier and I think Butler will compete for the position with him.

You can read more about Kosier about 8 threads down.

Again, welcome aboard!

April 18th, 2005, 5:28 pm
Profile WWW
Varsity Captain

Post Re: Butler at RT. What do you think?
Murtyle wrote:
Hey everyone this is my first time here but I have read some posts and everyone seems pretty knowlageble here. I don't get into a lot of Lions discussions down here in Ft. Lauderdale. Anyway what does everyone think about the possibility of Butler or Rodgers starting at RT? I really think Butler has a strong upside he was considered second round talent last year and he fell to us in the 6th round. I am hearing that the brass is confident in him. Should we buy it?

:arrow: Welcome Murtyle, I think Butler is going to be just fine at RT. I don't think the Lions brass would have let "McFly" go to Miami if they didn't think that Butler could get the job done. There may be a learning curve for the team to deal with, but overall I think he'll be fine. I do believe that the Lions will draft an OT in the middle rounds though.

:arrow:

April 18th, 2005, 5:35 pm
Profile YIM
RIP Killer

Butler will do a good job IMO. He'll start out slow, but hopefully he'll be a little smarter of a player than McDougle was. Too many penalties...

I expect the Lions to draft an OT on day 1, more than likely the third round unless someone falls to them in the second (Alex Barron, Jammal Brown, or Kahlif Barnes).

Adam Terry would be a slight reach in the second.

Ray Willis or Michael Roos would be good pick ups in the third.

April 18th, 2005, 6:08 pm
ST Coordinator – John Bonamego

Butler has never lacked physical talent. He has good feet and apparently good power for the running game. The word last year was that he needed to improve his technique and consistency. One Cleveland scout anyway had a first round grade on him as reported by Russ Lande.

April 18th, 2005, 6:23 pm
Div 1 - Starter

It bears mention that several mock drafts had Butler going in the third round, even with the wealth of talent at the top of last year's draft. It would probably not be a leap to suggest that were he coming out in this class, he would be a top 5 OT sure to be taken before the third round.

As such, the Lions probably feel that they already have highly-touted prospect (with a year's worth of study on the offense) ready to step into service.

I would be very surprised if the Lions took any OT in the first round and unless Brown, Barron, or Barnes falls to the second, I don't see them taking an OT in the second.

My favorite day ever as a Lions fan.

Somehow landing the Ndamo-nator would be the second best day ever.

April 18th, 2005, 6:37 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Actually I love the idea of Kelly Butler and Victor Rogers battling it out there, right now there prolly not better then a Alex Barron but in time they will, Alex isnt that good anyways but KB and VR will be good IMHO.

Michael Huff for DROY

April 18th, 2005, 7:52 pm
Profile WWW
Peewee Leaguer

I just wish we would have seen him play some last season. But he did drop quite aways in the draft not for football ability, but a character problem (kind of surprised Ford let them draft him). He was rated pretty high on ability.

April 18th, 2005, 10:01 pm
Hall of Fame Player

I just wish we would have seen him play some last season. But he did drop quite aways in the draft not for football ability, but a character problem (kind of surprised Ford let them draft him). He was rated pretty high on ability.

I don't remember the details surrounding the carracter issue. I think I recall it was a fight (off field) with a group of guys.

Does anyone recall the details?

April 19th, 2005, 6:01 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

4/9/2004 "The Exponent, and another reliable source, Butler was arrested twice last weekend, first for public intoxication (and possibly some other charges) and then for driving with a suspended license."

This is the draft prospect review on Butler done by SI.
BIO: Started 38 games the past three seasons at right tackle. Named to several Big Ten all-freshman teams in 2001.

POSITIVES: Athletic blocker with tremendous size and growth potential. Fundamentally sound lineman who sets with a wide base, bends his knees and works to keep his pads low. Stays square, can move in space and uses good blocking angles. Patient yet mashes defenders once engaged at the point. Quick setting in pass protection and rides defenders from their angle of attack. Works hard and stays with assignments.

NEGATIVES: Not a smooth lineman, lacks body control and balance. Can be exploited by speedy edge rushers as was the case last season against Ohio State.

ANALYSIS:
A big dominant force that controls opponents at the line of scrimmage, Butler offers a lot of upside for the next level. Must refine his overall game and increase his muscle mass but a prospect that could eventually develop into a starting right tackle in the NFL.

PROJECTION:
Mid Second Round (#5 OT in draft)

Last edited by conversion02 on April 19th, 2005, 9:01 am, edited 3 times in total.

April 19th, 2005, 7:58 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

PROJECTION: Mid Second Round

What a steal :P

April 19th, 2005, 8:05 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

What a steal :P

Agreed. And his positives blow his negatives out of the water. For a 6th round pick you would expect to see things like "not strong enough, small frame, severe character issues, plays too high, bad pass blocking, etc."

April 19th, 2005, 8:16 am
Hall of Fame Player

As far as character issues...The Exponent, and another reliable source, Butler was arrested twice last weekend, first for public intoxication (and possibly some other charges) and then for driving with a suspended license. Come on, is that so bad? Better than him getting in bar fights or something worse...

This just happened this past weekend?!

That is NOT good at all.

April 19th, 2005, 8:48 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Oh, no no no. It was an article by PFW done last April, a week before the draft. Sorry y'all. It was a year ago this time. I added a date to my original post.

April 19th, 2005, 8:49 am
Mr. Irrelevant

These are lame charges. I can't believe that he fell that far for them. They aren't violent crimes or drug use. To me those are the red flags. Hell I got a public intoxication charge for quoting the blue collar comedy tour. So that doen't bother me. Driving on a suspended license is just youth and he will grow out of that.

April 19th, 2005, 1:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next