View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 28th, 2014, 6:49 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Killer's take on the Lions LB situation 
RIP Killer

Post Killer's take on the Lions LB situation
The lions can get through this year (maybe) without any additional help, but they view lehman as the long-term answer in the middle and they want to upgrade on the weak side (from davis) .. if a guy like derrick johnson is there at 10, he's a candidate ... then again, so are others ... i was told last night that the lions will likely be taking a player at a position where it "appears'' they don't have a need ...we'll see ...

April 19th, 2005, 8:33 am
Varsity Benchwarmer

Location: Tampa, Florida...my pool is 90 today and it'll be 90 for Christmas morning!
Post Re: Killer's take on the Lions LB situation
conversion02 wrote:
The lions can get through this year (maybe) without any additional help, but they view lehman as the long-term answer in the middle and they want to upgrade on the weak side (from davis) .. if a guy like derrick johnson is there at 10, he's a candidate ... then again, so are others ... i was told last night that the lions will likely be taking a player at a position where it "appears'' they don't have a need ...we'll see ...

Yeah they don't appear to have aneed at OLB.....PERFECT.

April 19th, 2005, 9:11 am
Site Admin

The only "apparent" need would be an OT IMO. Although I think most of us want to see the youngins battle for it and possible sign or draft another to compete.

So that leaves virtually every other position. If Baron or Brown or whomever were of Gallery or Pace status I would say go for it but frankly they don't seem it.

Let's eliminate positions...

They likely won't go safety, or OLine, or RB.

I think at the 10 spot these are the positions you are looking at and none of them "appear" to be a need: DLine, CB, QB, WR, LB

CB - I think if one of the CBs fall they will attempt to trade out.
DLine - they will go this route if they cannot trade out and no other hot picks have fallen to them. To me it seems they would be forced into this spot and it would be a worse case scenario...
WR - If the 2 biggies fall they will listen to offers and if none are sweet enough they will pull the trigger. They are lacking WR depth especially with Chucky Brittle.
LB - DJ or bust. Again with the other spots they will listen to offers but unless they are really plump they will take him.
QB - This one is interesting. Obviously they will seek trades like the others if Smith falls to them. I can totally see this happening. But the QB would obviously be a development project so IMO I would prefer a Adrian M in the 3rd if they are really serious. They could trade out and get extra picks to nab a development project QB and get some imidiate impact players at other spots.

I think the Millens 1st instinct will be to listen to trades and hit the phones no matter who is there. I think if all we are left with is Dline then the phones probably will be quiet due to a fair amount of depth at that position. BUT...this is the draft and crazy stuff happens. My guess is that one of the coveted players falls to us and Millen makes a deal. That is my bet.

April 19th, 2005, 9:43 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

I'm not sold on Killer saying that the Lions view Lehman as the long-term solution to the middle. If that was the case, why would they re-sign Rainer and give Kassell an offer? 3 MLBs on the roster with Lehman being the long-term solution? It doesn't make sense to me, unless they planned on cutting Holmes on June 1...

April 19th, 2005, 3:11 pm
League MVP

good points, Killer talks out of his rectum a little much...

April 19th, 2005, 5:03 pm
QB Coach

I'm just thinking that the Lions have 2 scenarios.

1) Take Derrick Johnson at #10.

- BTW, he will be there at #10... he is not the dominant LB that many believe him to be...

2) Trade down for David Pollack

- I think that he is the guy Millen wants. I'm starting to develop a soft spot for him. :unibrow:

April 19th, 2005, 6:39 pm
Profile WWW
Bubbles the Lion

I agree, if DJ is not there at 10, I would like him to trade down get an extra 2nd or 3rd and pick up Pollack at about 15-20. Down here they have been comparing him all season to Reggie White.

April 20th, 2005, 10:19 am
Stadium Announcer

I'm still fighting with myself about this.

I have been screaming for a Ray Lewis type player for the Lions. I would be ecstatic to have a player like that on our defense.

Why can't it be a DE or a S though??? We really don't need another LB.

I guess I'll be OK with whatever they draft. Although we don't need another LB, I won't be able to complain about drafting DJ if he's there.

I'd just like to see us solidify our WR corps with a player that is ready to go right now.

Also, see me @ http://www.phpbbforfree.com/forums/lionsworld.html

April 20th, 2005, 10:35 am
Profile YIM WWW
Site Admin

I am with you sanders completely. We have gotten obivous talent by making the early investment in wrs and I think it is our biggest need.

April 20th, 2005, 10:46 am
Profile WWW
QB Coach

They aren't considering a S because there aren't any solid safeties worth the 12th pick, or even in a trade down. Thomas Davis is viewed as a OLB, and the top rated safety (Brodney Pool), may not even be a first rounder.

April 20th, 2005, 7:10 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Killer keeps talking about moving back up into round 1 and taking Brodney or Heath. But then again, I don't believe much of what Killer says. Alex Smith dropping to 10? Ha. ESPN seems sure that Smith's going to SF and Rodgers drops out of the top 15. Way to be an insider, Killer.

April 20th, 2005, 9:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]