View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 1st, 2014, 12:05 am

Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Lions get Kosier 
Varsity Benchwarmer

Post Lions get Kosier
http://www.the-dispatch.com/apps/pbcs.d ... achetime=5

AP Sports News
April 19. 2005 10:14PM

49ers Decline to Match Offer for Kosier

The Associated Press

The San Francisco 49ers declined to match the offer sheet signed by offensive lineman Kyle Kosier with the Detroit Lions.

Kosier, a seventh-round pick by the 49ers in 2002, played consistently at three positions on the offensive line in three seasons with San Francisco. He started all 16 games last season at left tackle, but the 49ers signed free agent tackle Jonas Jennings away from Buffalo last month.

Kosier will be reunited in Detroit with head coach Steve Mariucci and offensive line coach Pat Morris, who were in San Francisco during Kosier's rookie season.

"The fact that (Detroit's offer sheet) was a one-year contract, and that he would become an unrestricted free agent next season made signing Kyle less appealing," 49ers coach Mike Nolan said. "Kyle is a good football player, and we wish him well."

April 19th, 2005, 10:24 pm
Profile YIM WWW
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

You beat me to it. There are several implications. First, no OL in the draft. Second, we will have to cut Holmes, Joyce, Marion, or Az for cap space I believe. Not that they do not want to upgrade there anywhere, but they may even have to axe two of those guys after the draft.

Like the RFA. Finally, it worked out for us. The TN LB excites me more, though.

April 19th, 2005, 10:28 pm
Varsity Benchwarmer

You beat me to it. There are several implications. First, no OL in the draft. Second, we will have to cut Holmes, Joyce, Marion, or Az for cap space I believe. Not that they do not want to upgrade there anywhere, but they may even have to axe two of those guys after the draft.

If we cut Marion then we lose cap space according to Netrat's cap chart. Cutting Hakim would give the Lions $250,000 in cap space so I think they'll keep him regardless. Next year is the year to cut Hakim. Marion might retire a Lion.

Holmes would create about 1.5 mil in cap space if cut. Joyce would create $465,000 in cap space if cut. Wilkinson would create about 1.5 mil in cap space if cut. Not too much room can be created by cuts this year.

April 19th, 2005, 10:33 pm
Profile YIM WWW
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Thanks Dan. That explains the push to cut Holmes and Joyce. I think they need that 2 million and cannot get that this year for Hakim and Marion maybe. There are a lot of roster bonus that Netrat might have missed. Also Az and Marion they could be cut after June 1 to half their cost this year. Looking at the draft right now getting a starting slot WR may be hard. Unlikely at #10, nobody will fall to #41, and nothing too great in the third round at least compared to what will likely drop there at another position.

April 19th, 2005, 10:41 pm
Varsity Benchwarmer

Looking at the draft right now getting a starting slot WR may be hard. Unlikely at #10, nobody will fall to #41, and nothing too great in the third round at least compared to what will likely drop there at another position.

Agreed! The Lions just have to hope the two studs can stay healthy. Hakim should be fine in the slot for one more year or even longer if he agrees to restructure his contract.

April 19th, 2005, 10:52 pm
Profile YIM WWW
QB Coach

If we do indeed draft Derrick Johnson at #10, then Holmes will likely be cut in June, IMO.

April 20th, 2005, 12:56 am
Profile WWW
Mr. Irrelevant

Anybody have any info on this guy? Is he solid or added merely for depth?

April 20th, 2005, 1:24 am
Hall of Fame Player

You can read more about Kosier in this thread...

http://www.lionbacker.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1133

Bottom line is he must be OK - he's had a lot of starting experience for the 49ers and both Mooch and Pat Morris (O-line coach) like him.

However, given what Yorick said...

Yorick wrote:

... It got me thinking.

If you had to cut 1 or 2 of these four (Holmes, Joyce, Marion, or Az)... Who would you cut?

April 20th, 2005, 7:10 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Holmes seems most likely to get the axe IMO. With the talk about Lehman moving to MLB and having Rainer under contract for one more year (I think) and having given the offer to Kassell, it seems Holmes won't be a Lion next fall.

Wonder if Brock Marion would retire rather than get cut if it came down to it? If he retires, do we still take a cap hit? Didn't that happen with Porcher?

April 20th, 2005, 7:41 am
RIP Killer

Doesn't this mean we gave our 7th rounder to San Fran? So now we have first, second, third, fourth, and sixth round picks. That kind of limits our picks, even if it is only a 7th rounder. That could be a developmental WR/PR/KR, DT or DE.

April 20th, 2005, 9:18 am
Bubbles the Lion

I think it is great value for a 7th. You get a young versatile proven OL, with a full years starting experience in the WCO, who could play LT in a pinch. We only sign him for a year to prove him out. A great siging IMO.

And really how many 7th rounders stay on the team? not many.

April 20th, 2005, 9:33 am
Site Admin

Well performancewise I would have to cut Joyce and Marion. Holmes has been a pretty solid MLB but we did resign Rainer (sp?) so that may tell us something. It almost makes me think that depending on who we land with 1 will dictact or #2 pick. I could see Millen moving up for a MLB and I think a couple nice ones will be around early 2nd round.

Like I said before you CANNOT cut Az not merely because of money but because we have no WRs. Roy, cRog, and Az is it right now. Drummond isn't even resigned and you do not want to rely on your star KR as a receiver as well. We need to add at least 2 more WRs...

Also...where does anyone see us losing a pick? I don't understand that. He was a RFA and they didn't match. They may get compt next year but I don't think we lose anything.

April 20th, 2005, 9:47 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Don't we have to give up a pick for compensation if they don't match the offer? By being a Restricted-FA, a team has the option to match the offer given by another and they have to give up a draft pick, usually in which the round the player was drafted. That's what I thought; I could be wrong though.

I'm all for cutting Joyce...what about Loverne? Marion should be kept unless we get a solid FS no later than round 3 IMO.

April 20th, 2005, 9:57 am
Site Admin

I think there will be some nice Safeties dropping in this draft in the 3rd. But I suppose I wouldn't bank on it.

You may be right about the RFA thing. I am not sure but I hate losing picks no matter what...I'm greedy like that :lol:

April 20th, 2005, 10:00 am
Profile WWW
League MVP

April 20th, 2005, 10:07 am
Reply to topic   [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next