View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 23rd, 2014, 5:04 am

Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 2009 Detroit Lions Draft Grades 
RIP Killer

HB, your grades look like you are a cake grader compared to truckn mack... I take what I said back! lol

April 26th, 2009, 11:12 pm
Modmin Dude

Picks not popular, but that's not the plan

By NICHOLAS J. COTSONIKA
FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER
April 26, 2009

NEW YORK -- Lions president Tom Lewand has talked about doing the right thing, not the popular thing. General manager Martin Mayhew has talked about getting an A for the draft in three years, not the next day. Both have talked about sticking to the plan.

Say this for the Lions' new leaders: They certainly stuck to the plan Saturday in the NFL draft. They didn't do the popular thing. Few fans and media members are going to give them an A today.

But what if they did the right thing? What if they deserve an A in three years?

Georgia quarterback Matthew Stafford's contract is crazy. No one deserves $41.7 million guaranteed before he has played a down in the NFL, not even a No. 1 pick. But that's an issue that needs to be solved in collective bargaining, not at the negotiating table between the Lions and Stafford's agent.

Now, at least in their minds, they have a franchise quarterback and know they can develop him the right away. He doesn't have to play until he's ready because Daunte Culpepper is on a one-year deal.

The No. 20 pick surprised me. Like many others, I had Southern Cal linebacker Rey Maualuga going to the Lions -- if available. Well, he was available, and the Lions went with Oklahoma State tight end Brandon Pettigrew. Then the Lions didn't take Maualuga at No. 33, opting for Western Michigan safety Louis Delmas instead.

But considering Maualuga slipped to Cincinnati at No. 38, maybe it was the right call. Other teams passed on him, too. There must be a reason.

The Lions said they couldn't afford to pass up talent for need, and you can say they stuck to that by taking Pettigrew. But while the Lions needed a middle linebacker, they also needed a tight end. The position is important in offensive coordinator Scott Linehan's system. Pettigrew is the total package, and if you're going to invest that much in a quarterback, you better support him.

The Lions still need to bolster the defense. They still need help on the offensive line. They still need a lot of things. But no matter whom they took Saturday, they weren't going to fix all their problems. This was just a start. Time will tell if it was a good one.

Contact NICHOLAS J. COTSONIKA: 313-222-8831 or ncotsonika@freepress.com.

April 26th, 2009, 11:16 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

1a. Matthew Stafford QB Georgia - A - Let's face it, he's the best QB in the draft and has all pro potential. I hope the Lions don't play him until they have solidified the O-line. But with the way we draft that could take years.

1b. Brandon Pettigrew TE Oklahoma State - A - Best all around TE in draft. I will be retracting this grade if he doesn't live up to his billing.

2. Louis Delmas FS Western Michigan - A - Potentially the best safety in the draft. Did anyone else notice Patriots snatching Chung with the very next pick?

3a. DeAndre Levy OLB Wisconsin - E - I don't understand this pick at all. If this kid was BPA on the board then we need a new scouting dept. We already have 2 W/S LB's. Must have been for special teams. Since when do you waste 3rd round picks on S-teamers?

3b. Derrick Williams WR Penn State - B - Jack of all trades, KR, PR, WR, Slot/R and RB. This kid is a football player and can help in many ways.

4. Sammie Lee Hill DT Stillman - B - Hope he develops into a full time starter.

6. Aaron Brown RB TCU - C - I assume this was for KR and 3rd RB. Has to be better than Cason.

7a. Lydon Murtha OT Nebraska - D - Project.

7b. Zach Follet OLB California - A - Potential starting MLB on this porous Lion D. Love this kids intensity.

7c. Dan Gronkowski TE Maryland - B - This kid could be a project to make into a LT like Bills did with Peters. If not he's depth at TE and probably better than what we already have.

If Mayhew say's this is all based on BPA, I don't buy it. Am I right in figuring that we just got Pettigrew, Williams and Brown in exchange for Roy?

April 26th, 2009, 11:40 pm
Varsity 1st Team

I like Sanchez, Curry and Smith more. I'm just not sold on Stafford, sorry.

Pettigrew- A
Great pick IMO. Avoided some "hype" players. Oher is a sure-fire bust (IMO), Rey Rey has his issues as well. Peria Jerry doesn't fit our system and some others were a big reach. Pettigrew was the BPA and a position we needed. Was TE our biggest need, obviously not, but we have trotted out sub-par talent for years.

Delmas-B
Don't know a lot about him other than he's tough and we started a run on safeties. Graded fairly highly by the experts as well. Safety is still a need position (Alexander and Bullocks aren't cutting it, sorry).

Levy- F
Bad pick IMO. I've watched enough wisconsin games I should have noticed him if he had that kinda talent. I'll credit them for going BPA (on their board) but I just don't like the kid.

Williams- C
I suppose he might have been BPA, but I'm not sold. Not enough speed IMO. Could prove me wrong and be a nice pick, but I'm not a huge fan of him. We certainly didn't pick him on being the best returner in the game, or the best pure receiving prospect.

Hill- A+
Massive but athletic. Fits the system and may be able to start by years end. Great value in the 4th round considering potential.

Brown F
Didn't start at TCU. We already had drafted a returner. Do not like. Give it, I haven't seen him play, but I just don't see him as the BPA.

Murtha A
Awesome pick. Really should have been the pick instead of Brown (IMO). Injury risk is a factor, but hey, he's athletic enough to be a very good LT. 6'7 300 4.8 speed.

Follet A
Tough and plays tough. He's only 21, graduated from Cal and has room to grow into his frame. With time to develop (and fill out that frame) he coudl be pretty good.

Gronkowski N/A
Don't know a thing about him.

April 26th, 2009, 11:41 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

I was one of the few guys who actually liked Stafford. I felt he was a better QB prospect then any guys coming soon. The contract we gave him wasn't as bas as people are making it out to be.

1-Pettigrew-B
Pettigrew wasn't a curve ball by any means. In Linehans first year at the Rams they draft a TE in the 2nd and the 3rd. He used the TE often with the Dolphins and Vikings also. Although he didn't run an amazing 40 most still thought he was the best TE prospect this year and would have been next year also. Oher would have been nice but it doesn't take away from Pettigrew.

2-Delmas-A
People blast this pick becuase overhyped Rey Rey and Nitis were still there and Mike is a bigger hole. I disagree. We don't have good safteys. Gerald Alexander broke his neck and wasn't that impressive prior. Bullocks is overrated and needs allot of improvement. Schwartz defense seemed to rely more on talented safteys then MLB. Delmas was better value then any LB available and filled a huge hole.

3-Levy-D
Levy left me scratching my head a bit. He needed a MLB and Levy played SAM. We haven't have great sucess converting OLB to MLB. Schwarts made a comment that scared me when he said we liked him becuase of his game VS Beanie Wells (reminds me of comments about GA VS AP) It seemed to be a reach but could prove wrong.

3-Williams-D
I had Deon Butler,who came of the board shortly after, rated higher then Derrick Williams. We just signed Curry and Johnson.

4-Hill-B
I liked the pick of Hill and I wanted him in a lions Uni. I have some problems with him however. He played at a small school. He didn't see good production until they moved him to DE so he wouldn't be double teamed. The fact that he didn't dominate at his natural position concerns me considering his competition. Also he admits he lacked coaching and techinique is raw. He does have allot of potential and should crack rotation.

6-Brown-F
I don't get this pick. HE has a chance to make the team as the #3 back and special teamer but its more so becuase of our rosters talents then his.

7-Murtha-A
He has out of this world ability and size combo. He will have time to heal and develop and could really turn out to be a steal.

7-Follet-A
Follet is an intense player and loves football. I couldn't believe he lasted this long. HE will light up ST day 1 and possibly more.

7-Growkowski-A
He was a guy I really liked and pretty good value here.

Overall Grade-B
I The average grade was actually a C+ but I bumped it up based soley on potential.

April 27th, 2009, 12:17 am
RIP Killer

http://www.lionbacker.com/index.asp?id= ... ionsgrades

Don't forget M2K's grades posted on the homepage

April 27th, 2009, 12:38 am
Profile WWW
NFL Veteran

Detroit Lions: GRADE: B-
Matthew Stafford was what this team needed, but fellow first-rounder Brandon Pettigrew was a reach at No. 21. Third-round pick DeAndre Levy was a little bit of a reach, but a good pick. Selecting Derrick Williams in the third round was a good move. The best late-round pick for this team was seventh-rounder Zach Follett out of California. The Lions should've gotten a left tackle at some point since that is an obvious need right now, particularly with their current quarterback situation.

Todd McShay wrote:
Detroit Lions
2009 draft class
Best pick: TE Brandon Pettigrew, Oklahoma State (First round, No. 20 overall)
Worst pick: OLB DeAndre Levy, Wisconsin (Third round, No. 76 overall)
Bottom line: We've made it perfectly clear that we would have built up the supporting cast and taken the offensive linemen instead of putting the weight on Matthew Stafford, who is very talented but will need some time to get ready. On top of having great hands, Brandon Pettigrew is one of the top three blocking tight ends in this year's class and was a good value pick. WR Derrick Williams was worth the third-round pick and will be a No. 3 receiver right away and is also going to produce at kick returner. However, the Lions weren't able to find an offensive tackle and we'll be surprised if Levy emerges as more than a situational cover guy and special teams player.

Pete Prisco * CBSSports.com wrote:
Detroit Lions analysis Best pick: I like tight end Brandon Pettigrew with the No. 20 in the first round. He's a good blocking tight end and he can catch.
Questionable move: Not taking an offensive tackle in the first five rounds. They need help there.
Second-day gem: Fourth-round pick Sammie Lee Hill is a project from Stillman who has a lot of athletic ability. At 6-4, 329 pounds he has the size Jim Schwartz loves from his defensive tackles.
Grade A
They had two first-round picks and hit on both in Pettigrew and Matt Stafford with the first pick. Nice job, Martin Mayhew.

Prisco doesn't know about our defensive woes probably. He has 3 A's. Lions and Bears. Eagles get an A+.

Clifton Brown * Sporting News wrote:
Detroit Lions: A
A potential franchise quarterback (Matthew Stafford), the best tight end (Brandon Pettigrew) and a solid safety (Louis Delmas) give the Lions pieces to rebuild with. They will not have another winless season.

April 27th, 2009, 4:52 am
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Player

Post Same old song and dance!
This draft is exactly what you would expect from a rookie front office. High price gamble's; A little bit of flash; A few decent athletes; BUT woefully short at filling needs and even further from putting this team in a position of respectability. Looking at the drafts (and off seasons) of Minnesota, Green Bay & Chicago; The Lions have only slipped further into the abyss. With the exception of TE I'm not convinced that any position is stronger today than it was last season.

While I have more confidence in this coaching regime's ability to get more from the players than Marinelli's Misfits did; I'm still not excited about the possibilities of winning more than 6 games.

In the end Mayhew didn't deliver the goods and he failed IMO in his first NFL draft.

April 27th, 2009, 6:06 am
Profile WWW
Lionbacker Rehab Guru

Cmon Truckin, lighten up.

I just getting my 0-16 rage out of my sytem.
cdec518 wrote:
We were going to overpay for whoever we picked #1 and there wasn't really anything the Lions could do about it. We are on at minimum a 2-year rebuilding plan, so grabbing a smart, strong armed and experienced QB now isn't a bad idea. Had he stayed he would have been in the discussion to be the first QB picked next year, don't doubt that.

And next year he may have been a great pick for the Lions. As it is, we're gonna be baby sitting him for a while.
If the Lions built a great O Line, the whole of their offense improves. As it is, the Lions went QB, TE, WR, and RB. Show ponies.

cdec518 wrote:
Pettigrew will be an A. And if you are grading on need, we needed a TE too. This guy will improve our running and passing games tremendously and was supposed to go way higher.

Bigger need was stud DT. Incredibly important for a 3 man line... and we aint got one.

cdec518 wrote:
I was pissed about Delmas when we took him over Maualuga, but after I studied up on him a bit harder I was quite pleased. This guy is a phenomenal football player and should start from day 1.

Actually, I'm really OK with Delmas if we'd taken Jerry or Hood or Maluaga or Laurinitis earlier. As it stands, Safety wasn't our greatest need.

As for the rest? The Lions did the best they could after they stunk up the place. The only way this draft makes sense is ... Well there is no way this draft makes sense.

April 27th, 2009, 6:49 am
National Champion

1a. Matthew Stafford QB Georgia - B-
I probably would have went with one of the tackles, but I know the Lions did their due dilligence here and I completely understand and endorse this pick. If they think he's a franchise quarterback, that is reason enough and the end of the debate. If they were wrong, it's on all of them (coaches and FO), because they were in consensus here. If you don't have a franchise quarterback, you don't pass one up. You can't fault the FO for not breaking a cardinal rule of the league. Besides that, who else could possibly work off a contract that size besides a quarterback. He's comparable to Jay Cutler.

1b. Brandon Pettigrew TE Oklahoma State - A-
There were players here that fit more pressing needs, but they were not the best players available. Even then, every team passed on Maualuga in round 1 which should send up a huge red flag to fans that it was smart to pass him up. I questioned it then but I understand it now. Oher was there, but why take the fourth best tackle prospect in a class as a reach to hope he pans out. Would he even have started at tackle? I'm not sure.

Pettigrew can do it all and he's the most rounded TE prospect to come out in a few years. Some big boards had him around 10, some later, so I'd call this a good value pick. He should help the run game and provide a release valve at the same time. TE's have went earlier and later than this in the past, and there is always one TE to go in the first round, so I don't feel it's fair to call this a reach. Comparable to Jason Witten.

2. Louis Delmas FS Western Michigan - A-
Delmas is arguably the top safety prospect in this class and was projected as a bottom round 1/round 2 prospect, so the value is good. Shortly after he was selected, a run on defensive backs occured, with the Patriots and a slew of other teams getting them while they could. This should tell fans that it was a great pick and that the top talent of that position was thin.

Delmas plays bigger than what he is. What that means is, he explodes while tackling and would probably throw his body through a wood chipper. He has no fear. While thats a great thing when he's healthy, it could take its toll on him unless he bulks up.

He should be able to stack in the box, but also release to cover when necessary. Not many holes in his game. The main knock on him was the lack of competition in his conference, but his play at the Senior Bowl took care of that. Comparable to Brian Dawkins

3a. DeAndre Levy OLB Wisconsin - D-
With the draft clearly unfolding for us as a BPA strategy, this is the pick of the day that really has me scratching my head. The Lions said that when they were scouting Beanie Wells, they saw Levy knock him back on multiple occasions. That is when they decided to dive deaper into Levy.

I've seen him play my alma mater on more than one occassion, and he can play, but I question the pick on two merits.

First, I had him rated much lower (2 rounds lower). This is obviously countered by the fact that I didn't have the same big board as the Lions.

Second, he's still light to play the Mike, which is what the FO is saying they want to try him out at. He has the frame to get bigger (the FO said Ray Lewis was smaller when he was drafted). That is the only thing that gives me faith here with this choice, that they've seen players smaller than this bulk up and make the move.

He can also rush the passer, but he struggles in coverage; Also known as a straight line player.

3b. Derrick Williams WR Penn State - C
Originally a round 2 prospect, Williams slipped to us here. A lot of people cringe at the pick, but once again, we drafted value and the value was good. He is a versatile player. He should have went earlier in the draft. We could have went with a CB returner, but then the value isn't as high (weak CB class) and you start falling into the reach category.

He had the flu at the combine, but had a fairly good pro day. He should fight for #3 WR, and should be returning kicks/punts too.

People question this pick, but WR was the best position in the draft in some analysts eyes. Also, we started another run here, with a number of WR's going after him, and once again, it was the Patriots to follow us on the run. That is something I could get used to seeing.

4. Sammie Lee Hill DT Stillman - A-
He was a great value here, and only goes this far into the draft because of his small school. Hes raw and unpolished, but the learning curve at DT is fairly small. He could be contributing this year, possibly coming on the field for Grady Jackson (who is expected to play around 30% of the defensive snaps).

He's extremely quick and agile for being this size, and shouldn't have to come out for breathers nearly as often as former Lion, big baby, Shaun Rogers. He could be just as effective and twice as efficient.

6. Aaron Brown RB TCU - D-
Aaron will be a project while he bulks up and works his way through the depth chart. This pick had my scratching my head, a lot like the Levy pick.

I question whether he was the BPA. I thought that there were still some notable lineman here than could have been picked up.

He's a shifty, agile type of runner. He doesn't have great speed, but he's not slow either. He has great footwork and can make multiple tacklers miss. He's nowhere even in the same ballpark so please don't flame this, but he's a Barry Sanders type back, who never burned anyone, but would leave the opposing teams ankles back on the field somewhere. Please realize that I'm not calling him Barry, just saying he is a shifty type back. I expect him to bulk up or get hurt fast.

7a. Lydon Murtha OT Nebraska - A-
He showed off his athleticism at the combine, making the top 10 of nearly every category. Once called a 4th or 5th round prospect, it suprised me to see him slip to the 7th. I was glad we picked him up.

He is a tall tackle, so he needs to work on staying lower in his frame to maintain leverage. He has the frame to add weight if he wants (because he is so fast). He excelled at run blocking and will probably do the same in the NFL. I'm expecting him to eventually be Gosders backup. He's a technician, and is not as strong as you would like, so he needs to get stronger.

7b. Zach Follet OLB California - A-
Follet was the best linebacker on a team with good linebackers. He was voted by quarterbacks in the Pac10 as the hardest hitting defensive player on the conference. I had him ranked as a 5th round prospect, so I was surpised and happy to see him fall to us in the 7th.

Follet set records on his team for forced fumbles and was known to try and force a fumble on every play. He's stiff in the hips and therefore probably not a fit on the outside in the NFL. He will come in with Levy and probably fight to try and start at Mike (it's also possible that he'll have to fight a FA Mike for the job as well).

He's a fighter and he's tough as nails. He'll be a damn good special teamer and could fight to start in the future. A great acquisition.

7c. Dan Gronkowski TE Maryland - C
Not really a passing threat because of mediocre hands, but he's athletic and known as a good to great blocker. We picked him up because of value, which sticks to the trend of the draft. According to the Lions, he was high and above the best value left on the board. He'll be great on special teams alone, and should make the roster being the number 2 or 3 TE. It's sad that the second to last pick of the draft could make the team, but I won't be suprised when that day comes.

Overall, the Lions had a clear plan and stuck to it. Regardless of whether you would have done something different, you have to applaud them for having a plan and not deviating. When a football team is being built, a philosophy is set forth and not deviated from. The old Lions never had a strategy they stuck to. If I were grading only on that alone, they would receive an B (Levy and Brown being questionable).

I gave each player a grade that was based on multiple things. Some things I took into consideration were overall value of the position, team need, player grade, floor and ceiling, if I would have picked them were they were picked, and their ability to make the team.

Overall, considering the individual grades that I gave for each prospect and the B the FO should get for sticking to a plan, I give the Detroit Lions 2009 draft a B-. To get that grade, I broke each grade down into a number scale (just like college, 0.0 - 4.0). For the most part, they stuck to the plan and they got the best talent that they could.

Now it'll be up to UDFA's, trades, and waivers to try and fill any hole(s) that are left.

April 27th, 2009, 8:34 am
NFL Team Captain

Here are my grades for this years draft.

1a. Matthew Stafford QB Georgia - B-
I probably would have went with one of the tackles, but I know the Lions did their due dilligence here and I completely understand and endorse this pick. If they think he's a franchise quarterback, that is reason enough and the end of the debate. If they were wrong, it's on all of them (coaches and FO), because they were in consensus here. If you don't have a franchise quarterback, you don't pass one up. You can't fault the FO for not breaking a cardinal rule of the league. Besides that, who else could possibly work off a contract that size besides a quarterback. He's comparable to Jay Cutler.

1b. Brandon Pettigrew TE Oklahoma State - A-
There were players here that fit more pressing needs, but they were not the best players available. Even then, every team passed on Maualuga in round 1 which should send up a huge red flag to fans that it was smart to pass him up. I questioned it then but I understand it now. Oher was there, but why take the fourth best tackle prospect in a class as a reach to hope he pans out. Would he even have started at tackle? I'm not sure.

Pettigrew can do it all and he's the most rounded TE prospect to come out in a few years. Some big boards had him around 10, some later, so I'd call this a good value pick. He should help the run game and provide a release valve at the same time. TE's have went earlier and later than this in the past, and there is always one TE to go in the first round, so I don't feel it's fair to call this a reach. Comparable to Jason Witten.

2. Louis Delmas FS Western Michigan - A-
Delmas is arguably the top safety prospect in this class and was projected as a bottom round 1/round 2 prospect, so the value is good. Shortly after he was selected, a run on defensive backs occured, with the Patriots and a slew of other teams getting them while they could. This should tell fans that it was a great pick and that the top talent of that position was thin.

Delmas plays bigger than what he is. What that means is, he explodes while tackling and would probably throw his body through a wood chipper. He has no fear. While thats a great thing when he's healthy, it could take its toll on him unless he bulks up.

He should be able to stack in the box, but also release to cover when necessary. Not many holes in his game. The main knock on him was the lack of competition in his conference, but his play at the Senior Bowl took care of that. Comparable to Brian Dawkins

3a. DeAndre Levy OLB Wisconsin - D-
With the draft clearly unfolding for us as a BPA strategy, this is the pick of the day that really has me scratching my head. The Lions said that when they were scouting Beanie Wells, they saw Levy knock him back on multiple occasions. That is when they decided to dive deaper into Levy.

I've seen him play my alma mater on more than one occassion, and he can play, but I question the pick on two merits.

First, I had him rated much lower (2 rounds lower). This is obviously countered by the fact that I didn't have the same big board as the Lions.

Second, he's still light to play the Mike, which is what the FO is saying they want to try him out at. He has the frame to get bigger (the FO said Ray Lewis was smaller when he was drafted). That is the only thing that gives me faith here with this choice, that they've seen players smaller than this bulk up and make the move.

He can also rush the passer, but he struggles in coverage; Also known as a straight line player.

3b. Derrick Williams WR Penn State - C
Originally a round 2 prospect, Williams slipped to us here. A lot of people cringe at the pick, but once again, we drafted value and the value was good. He is a versatile player. He should have went earlier in the draft. We could have went with a CB returner, but then the value isn't as high and you start falling into the reach category.

He had the flu at the combine, but had a fairly good pro day. He should fight for #3 WR, and should be returning kicks/punts too.

People question this pick, but WR was the best position in the draft in some analysts eyes. Also, we started another run here, with a number of WR's going after him, and once again, it was the Patriots to follow us on the run. That is something I could get used to seeing.

4. Sammie Lee Hill DT Stillman - A-
He was a great value here, and only goes this far into the draft because of his small school. Hes raw and unpolished, but the learning curve at DT is fairly small. He could be contributing this year, possibly coming on the field for Grady Jackson (who is expected to play around 30% of the defensive snaps).

He's extremely quick and agile for being this size, and shouldn't have to come out for breathers nearly as often as former Lion, big baby, Shaun Rogers. He could be just as effective and twice as efficient.

6. Aaron Brown RB TCU - D-
Aaron will be a project while he bulks up and works his way through the depth chart. This pick had my scratching my head, a lot like the Levy pick.

I question whether he was the BPA. I thought that there were still some notable lineman here than could have been picked up.

He's a shifty, agile type of runner. He doesn't have great speed, but he's not slow either. He has great footwork and can make multiple tacklers miss. He's nowhere even in the same ballpark so please don't flame this, but he's a Barry Sanders type back, who never burned anyone, but would leave the opposing teams ankles back on the field somewhere. Please realize that I'm not calling him Barry, just saying he is a shifty type back. I expect him to bulk up or get hurt fast.

7a. Lydon Murtha OT Nebraska - A-
He showed off his athleticism at the combine, making the top 10 of nearly every category. Once called a 4th or 5th round prospect, it suprised me to see him slip to the 7th. I was glad we picked him up.

He is a tall tackle, so he needs to work on staying lower in his frame to maintain leverage. He has the frame to add weight if he wants (because he is so fast). He excelled at run blocking and will probably do the same in the NFL. I'm expecting him to eventually be Gosders backup. He's a technician, and is not as strong as you would like, so he needs to get stronger.

7b. Zach Follet OLB California - A-
Follet was the best linebacker on a team with good linebackers. He was voted by quarterbacks in the Pac10 as the hardest hitting defensive player on the conference. I had him ranked as a 5th round prospect, so I was surpised and happy to see him fall to us in the 7th.

Follet set records on his team for forced fumbles and was known to try and force a fumble on every play. He's stiff in the hips and therefore probably not a fit on the outside in the NFL. He will come in with Levy and probably fight to try and start at Mike (it's also possible that he'll have to fight a FA Mike for the job as well).

He's a fighter and he's tough as nails. He'll be a damn good special teamer and could fight to start in the future. A great acquisition.

7c. Dan Gronkowski TE Maryland - C
Not really a passing threat because of mediocre hands, but he's athletic and known as a good to great blocker. We picked him up because of value, which sticks to the trend of the draft. According to the Lions, he was high and above the best value left on the board. He'll be great on special teams alone, and should make the roster being the number 2 or 3 TE. It's sad that the second to last pick of the draft could make the team, but I won't be suprised when that day comes.

Overall, the Lions had a clear plan and stuck to it. Regardless of whether you would have done something different, you have to applaud them for having a plan and not deviating. When a football team is being built, a philosophy is set forth and not deviated from. The old Lions never had a strategy they stuck to. If I were grading only on that alone, they would receive an B (Levy and Brown being questionable).

I gave each player a grade that was based on multiple things. Some things I took into consideration were overall value of the position, team need, player grade, floor and ceiling, if I would have picked them were they were picked, and their ability to make the team.

Overall, considering the individual grades that I gave for each prospect and the B the FO should get for sticking to a plan, I give the Detroit Lions 2009 draft a B-. To get that grade, I broke each grade down into a number scale (just like college, 0.0 - 4.0). For the most part, they stuck to the plan and they got the best talent that they could.

Now it'll be up to UDFA's, trades, and waivers to try and fill any hole(s) that are left.

Very nice job Faulkn22. hello2.gif Great Analysis!

April 27th, 2009, 8:49 am
Varsity 1st Team

The front office did a few other things I liked (even though I disagreed on players).

1) They didn't draft anybody with questionable work ethic.
2) They didn't draft anybody with questionable toughness.

Thats a large departure from the Millen "strategy" of going purely off talent. Everyone they picked had work-ethic or toughness somewhere in that bio.

The defensive players were all described as hitters and tough, flying around, reckless ect. ect.

Does that make them instantly better picks, no. There are other reasons to bust. It also doens't mean they were the BPA. However, I feel that makes them far more likely to pan out then lazy players.

April 27th, 2009, 9:27 am
Player of the Year - Defense

BUT woefully short at filling needs

I find it hilarious that people are criticizing this draft because it didn't "fill needs".

Every position on this team outside of WSLB (Sims), SSLB (Peterson), #1 WR (Johnson), and RT (Cherilus) was a need.

You can sit there and argue that MLB was a bigger need than safety and tackle was a bigger need than TE and so on. To do that it is to look at it from the wrong mindset.

The Lions are not winning more than four games this year. Even if they had drafted Rey and Oher, they still wouldn't win more than four games.

So they patch two of their bigger holes this year. So what? That just means they'd have to take a safety and TE next year, forcing them to reach for players at specific positions. And then what do you have? Two sub-par prospects this year, and two sub-par prospects next. This way you're getting the best talent with the picks you have.

You can knock the players, but don't knock the FO for not addressing "needs".

April 27th, 2009, 10:06 am
Junior Varsity

Pettigrew surprised me, I never saw that coming. I figured we would get Oher or Mack at #20 and was hoping to get Laurianitis or Rey with our second round pick.

I think we are a better team, but I'm not sure we did as well as we could have.

April 27th, 2009, 10:16 am
Varsity 1st Team

Quote:
BUT woefully short at filling needs

I find it hilarious that people are criticizing this draft because it didn't "fill needs".

Every position on this team outside of WSLB (Sims), SSLB (Peterson), #1 WR (Johnson), and RT (Cherilus) was a need.

You can sit there and argue that MLB was a bigger need than safety and tackle was a bigger need than TE and so on. To do that it is to look at it from the wrong mindset.

The Lions are not winning more than four games this year. Even if they had drafted Rey and Oher, they still wouldn't win more than four games.

So they patch two of their bigger holes this year. So what? That just means they'd have to take a safety and TE next year, forcing them to reach for players at specific positions. And then what do you have? Two sub-par prospects this year, and two sub-par prospects next. This way you're getting the best talent with the picks you have.

You can knock the players, but don't knock the FO for not addressing "needs".

Bingo.

April 27th, 2009, 12:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next