View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 31st, 2014, 11:06 am

Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 2009 Detroit Lions Draft Grades 
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

mwill2 wrote:
I can't quibble with any of the Lions' picks. I love this draft. Maybe I'm the only one, I dunno.

Your not alone. I can see the value of each pick we made. We should be a much better team this season.

I was beginning to think that I was on my own. :D
I've been a bit surprised by the negativity about the draft. I can see the value in each of the picks. Time will tell, I suppose.

April 28th, 2009, 11:12 am
RIP Killer

BillySims wrote:
mwill2 wrote:
I can't quibble with any of the Lions' picks. I love this draft. Maybe I'm the only one, I dunno.

Your not alone. I can see the value of each pick we made. We should be a much better team this season.

I was beginning to think that I was on my own. :D
I've been a bit surprised by the negativity about the draft. I can see the value in each of the picks. Time will tell, I suppose.

Me too, I've been trying to convince people it isn't that bad... and even a pretty good draft. The draft chat room was pretty bad (convo!)

April 28th, 2009, 11:27 am
RIP Killer

Me too, I've been trying to convince people it isn't that bad... and even a pretty good draft. The draft chat room was pretty bad (convo!)

Hey now!

I didn't like the Stafford pick and I won't like it until the dood proves something. Gotta earn that richest contract in history!!! Until then, I give that pick a D, especially considering Culpepper's workout status. We could have traded for a Kyle Orton (Beck is likely out in Miami) and he would have been beyond serviceable until we could draft a replacement in a year or two.

I absolutely hated the Levy pick. We've been down that road before, and it hasn't worked. We've failed with our last two undersized OLBs we've plugged into the middle, so let's try again...with a 3rd rounder nonetheless. This team has glaring holes, rather than plugging a square peg in a round hole. I give this pick a D.

Williams was a decent pick, but we could have done much better. B-

Brown was an okay pick. I give it a C.

Every other pick, I would give an A.

We've all got room to complain. The draft is growing on me, especially Murtha, Hill, Pettigrew, the TE we got in the 7th, etc.

April 28th, 2009, 2:19 pm
RIP Killer

I absolutely hated the Levy pick.

You dis my new boy you dis me... Until we get Larry Foote I will defend my boy Levy to his death! :wink:

April 28th, 2009, 2:30 pm
Modmin Dude

Tuesday, April 28, 2009
Roundup
Kiper: Lions get B-minus
Detroit News staff and wires
Martin Mayhew made it clear before his first draft as the Lions general manager he wasn't out to impress ESPN analyst Mel Kiper Jr.

"The draft is not for getting an 'A' from Mel Kiper the day after the draft," Mayhew said. "The draft is for this team for now and for three years from now. We want to draft players that we can re-sign. We want to draft guys that are here for 10 years. That's what our goals are."

Well, Kiper came out with his draft grades Monday -- and he gave the Lions a B-minus.

"The only thing I had a problem with -- with the Delmas pick was no Rey Maualuga, no James Laurinaitis, no left tackle," Kiper said Monday during a conference call.

After taking quarterback Matthew Stafford and tight end Brandon Pettigrew in the first round the Lions passed on linebackers Maualuga and Laurinaitis, and also offensive tackle William Beatty from Connecticut, and took Western Michigan safety Louis Delmas.

As for the Lions' selections in rounds 3-7, Kiper said, "I thought (linebacker DeAndre) Levy was a little bit of a reach, I liked the Derrick Williams pick, Sammie Lee Hill was OK where they got him (fourth round), (running back) Aaron Brown was a little overrated. I liked the (Zach) Follett pick, (Dan) Gronkowski is just average (at tight end)."

http://detnews.com/article/20090428/SPO ... et-B-minus

April 29th, 2009, 10:23 am
Pop Warner Vet

We drafted Stafford and Kiper only gave us a B-?

We're screwed. :p

April 29th, 2009, 10:31 am
#1 Overall Pick

I thought I'd tour the "NET" looking for some outside opinions of our draft.

Pete Prisco, CBS
Quote:
Detroit Lions analysis

Best pick: I like tight end Brandon Pettigrew with the No. 20 in the first round. He's a good blocking tight end and he can catch.

Questionable move: Not taking an offensive tackle in the first five rounds. They need help there.

Second-day gem: Fourth-round pick Sammie Lee Hill is a project from Stillman who has a lot of athletic ability. At 6-4, 329 pounds he has the size Jim Schwartz loves from his defensive tackles.

They had two first-round picks and hit on both in Pettigrew and Matt Stafford with the first pick. Nice job, Martin Mayhew.

Grade: A

from www.sportsnetwork.com
Quote:
Detroit

1 - Matthew Stafford, QB, Georgia (6-2, 225); 1 - Brandon Pettigrew, TE, Oklahoma State (6-5, 263); 2 - Louis Delmas, S, Western Michigan (5-11, 202); 3 - Deandre Levy, LB, Wisconsin (6-2, 236); 3 - Derrick Williams, WR, Penn State (5-11, 194); 4 - Sammie Hill, DT (6-4, 329); 6 - Aaron Brown, RB, TCU (6-0, 196); 7 - Lydon Murtha, T, Nebraska (6-7, 306); 7 - Zack Follett, OLB, Cal (6-1, 229); 7 - Dan Gronkowski, TE, Maryland (6-5, 255)

Analysis: The Lions took the big gamble after all, staking their future, and in all likelihood the Jim Schwartz coaching era, to Matthew Stafford. He looks the part, but will have a lot to prove to a Detroit fan base that would have preferred the pick be used on a defender like Wake Forest's Aaron Curry. The applause meter didn't hit its peak with the pick of Pettigrew either, as the team failed to shore up a defense that allowed 517 points a year ago in the first round. The next two picks addressed that side of the ball, and while Delmas could be a real diamond in the rough, the limited Levy may have been a reach. The versatile wideout Williams, meanwhile, was a strong value pick at No. 82 and should contribute immediately. Of the final five picks, the Lions need the defensive tackle Hill and linebacker Follett to develop most quickly.

Bottom Line: A team that gave up 517 points last year probably didn't do enough to improve the defense, but filled enough needs to ensure they'll win some games.

Grade: B-

from Charles Robinson of yahoo sports....
Quote:
Positive: Offensive skill position upgrades.
Negative: No cornerback help.
Bottom line: B+.
Stafford could be the franchise quarterback. Pettigrew is a good blocker and should be a very good offensive weapon. Despite some size concerns, Delmas was the most complete safety in the draft. The super-athletic Murtha is a fantastic gamble in the seventh round.

from profootballweekly.com
Quote:
Detroit Lions — Picking first overall, the Lions needed to have a strong draft to put the franchise back on track, and first-year GM Martin Mayhew and head coach Jim Schwartz did just that, landing a franchise quarterback (Matthew Stafford), a dominant blocking tight end (Brandon Pettigrew) and a hard-hitting safety (Louis Delmas) — all of whom could start out of the gate — with their first three picks. In all, they could overhaul a fifth of their roster with this draft, with WR Derrick Williams able to make an impact as a returner and DeAndre Levy standing a chance to work into the LB rotation.
Grade: Outstanding

from John Czarnecki on foxsports
Quote:
OK, the fans booed the selection of Georgia QB Matthew Stafford, but the Lions loved his workouts and his big-league arm. Stafford does have some physical downside (poor footwork in the pocket), but the Lions are never going to win without a franchise quarterback. Yes, the Lions wanted to trade out of this pick, but there were no takers because of the guaranteed money ($41.7 million) involved with such a decision. The coaching staff wanted Stafford and that's good enough for me.

While the fans were still moaning about passing on defensive players, the Lions took the draft's best tight end in Oklahoma State's Brandon Pettigrew at No. 20. He is a solid blocker. Western Michigan safety Louis Delmas was projected as the draft's top safety and he's a very aggressive tackler. I really liked the selection of Penn State receiver Derrick Williams, who can also help the kick return game. Williams was the high school player of the year in 2004.Cal linebacker Zack Follett and Nebraska offensive tackle Lydon Murtha both had super value in the seventh round. Grade: A
[/b]

from Bucky Brooks of NFL.com
Quote:
Detroit Lions: C+

After finishing winless in 2008, the Lions entered the offseason with numerous holes across the board. Free agency brought in some nice pickups, but the draft is where the team needed to close the gap on the competition.

With the No. 1 pick, the Lions had the opportunity to set the table for their return to respectability, and they opted to make a quarterback the pillar of their rebuilding efforts. Matthew Stafford was inked to a six-year, $78 million deal on the eve of the draft to become the new face of the franchise. Though there are some questions about whether the weapons are in place to ensure success for the young signal-caller, the Lions couldn't pass on the opportunity to grab a quality quarterback with the top pick.

To the dismay of some fans, the Lions opted to take the best tight end (Brandon Pettigrew) on the board with their second first-round pick over several highly regarded defensive prospects. While Pettigrew immediately helps the Lions' offense as a legitimate target over the middle, the defense needed a middle linebacker. Rey Maualuga appeared to be an ideal fit for Jim Schwartz's defense.

The selection of safety Louis Delmas gave the defense a much-needed enforcer in the back end. The former Western Michigan standout is a hard hitter with the athleticism and range to make plays in the passing game. He is clearly the top-rated prospect at the position, and his selection gives the Lions three of the top-ranked players at their respective spots.

In the latter stages of the draft, GM Martin Mayhew and Schwartz filled needs at linebacker and defensive line. While they missed out on securing a pure middle linebacker, they may have hit on a defensive tackle with big-time potential in Sammie Lee Hill.

Overall, the Lions' draft will be judged by the success or failure of Stafford, but the team did make strides in building up the overall talent base of the roster.

from Bleacherreport.com
Quote:
The Lions were one of the hardest teams to rank. I think they got some great players, but I also feel they could have gotten equal players while filling more pressing needs.

Stafford may be a great QB, but I question the pick. Brandon Pettigrew was a bit of a head scratcher, but I feel the Lions got better as the draft went along.

Best Value: OLB Zach Follett, pick 235

I was shocked he fell this far; the Lions got a steal with this hard-working player.

Biggest Reach: OLB DeAndre Levy, pick 76

Very small, which makes you think that he could possibly drop back and cover, but he lacks those skills as well. Seems to be more of a special teams player.

April 29th, 2009, 12:30 pm
Stats Boy

Post Re: 2009 Detroit Lions Draft Grades
Bump, just in case anyone wanted to review last year's grades.

April 27th, 2010, 3:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6