View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 2nd, 2014, 10:12 pm

Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Lions sign Kevin Johnson? 
RIP Killer

Kevin Johnson isnt that great, but he's an improvement from Tai Streets because he was Baltimore's #1 guy last year...right now im severly worried about are cap numbers though, anyone fine any info on that yet?

Remember that only the top 51 players on the team in total salary and signing bonus allocations counts against the cap until the start of the season. I think the Lions are still in pretty good shape.

April 20th, 2005, 5:47 pm
Fair Weather Fan

I think this signing is a lot bigger than people realize. We now have as our 3rd WR a guy who played well as a #1 for Cleveland and would be one of the best #2's in the league. He's smart, runs good routes and has amazing hands.

And he also happens to have the name of my favorite basketball player of all time, so that helps.

April 20th, 2005, 6:25 pm
Profile YIM
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

He is talented, but it is hard to ignore his itinerant ways despite that. He has a bad character rap. I am not sure if the disciplined routes of the WCO will catch his fancy all the sudden. I would have preferred Pathon. But I understand the acquisition. It provides depth and insurance in case of injury on the current roster and flexibility on draft day. I am looking for a defensive playmaker and no Mike Williams now-whew.

April 20th, 2005, 6:47 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Johnson comes to the Lions in the same way Tai Streets did a year ago.

I hope he doesn't leave like Tai Streets. :shock:

Good signing, but we should still keep Az until we have confidence that we don't need him.

April 20th, 2005, 7:01 pm
Profile WWW
QB Coach

I like the signing. He would be more of an immediate impact on the team than any draft pick, even in the first round. He was the best remaining WR on the market. Yes, i'd take this guy anyday over Troy Brown. Remember, he played with Kyle Boller last year, OUCH!

He can play #2 WR if there are any injury concerns for our top 2 receivers. He has proven that. We're not expecting him to duplicate anything other than his 04 numbers. He has a high ceiling. He has had two seasons above 986 yards and 8 TDs, but obviously he was a starter.

April 20th, 2005, 7:03 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Good post Brian. I agree he would be make a more immediate impact than any draft pick. I was still hoping that by some chance Jerome Mathis fell to the third and we could snag him. That guy has elite #2 WR written all over him IMO.

Let's hope KJ doesn't repeat last years performance. We all know what happens to solid receivers when they come here. Schroeder, Streets, Hakim...

April 20th, 2005, 9:10 pm
League MVP

I really like this signing. Conversion, dont get too discouraged about not being able to draft a WR. Scottie Vines is hardly a fixture for the #5 WR spot. Further, KJ only has a one year deal and we can save money by cutting Hakim after next season. It would be smart to draft a midround WR this year with hopes that he'd be ready to play by 2006.

April 20th, 2005, 9:40 pm
Site Admin

meh...I liked the Streets signing...I liked the Az signing (cept the cash part)...

I refuse to like this until the guy produces and catches 3rd and 6s with regularity.

That is all.

Actually I am just crabby. It is a good pickup but now we have to endure having 2 guys called KJ :?

April 20th, 2005, 9:45 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Actually I am just crabby. It is a good pickup but now we have to endure having 2 guys called KJ :?

At least his last name is Johnson and not Jones! Jones was here first, he's the original Detroit KJ!

April 20th, 2005, 9:53 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

theAlphaMale wrote:

At least his last name is Johnson and not Jones! Jones was here first, he's the original Detroit KJ!

Why don't we call the original KJ KingJones :lol: .

April 20th, 2005, 9:55 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

We will call Kevin Johnson KevBo zicon_rambo.gif

April 20th, 2005, 10:01 pm
Profile WWW
Mr. Irrelevant

Where did you hear/see that? I have looked and haven't found it.

April 20th, 2005, 11:43 pm
National Champion

Given that Kevin Johnson fills the role (assumedly) of Tai "9.3 yards and a cloud of dust" Streets, let's say we set the over/under on his final yard per catch number? I think we should set it at a staggering 9.7 yards per catch. :arrow:

April 21st, 2005, 12:15 am
Fair Weather Fan

all I know is he won't drop the balls that Tai did. Or Az. That should really bother Joey fans who will now lose their favorite excuse for his lack of performance!

April 21st, 2005, 12:18 am
Profile YIM
Hall of Fame Player

Ex-Ravens receiver a Lion

Six-year pro Johnson agrees to a one-year deal, and his arrival might lead to Hakim's departure.

By Mike O'Hara / The Detroit News

ALLEN PARK -- The Lions didn't wait for the draft to fill a need at wide receiver.

Kevin Johnson, a starter for most of his six pro seasons, has agreed to terms on a one-year contract, team president Matt Millen said Wednesday. He was released by Baltimore in February.

Johnson is expected to compete for a position as the primary slot receiver. His presence could mean the end in Detroit for Az-Zahir Hakim, who has had injury problems the last three seasons.

There has been speculation that the Lions will take a receiver high in the draft, which begins Saturday, but not in the first round. Signing Johnson lessens the need and provides another experienced receiver to work with Roy Williams and Charles Rogers, who are projected as the big-play outside tandem.

"I think we need depth, and I want veteran depth, guys who've played," Millen said. "Kevin has had success in this league. Our two outside guys -- if they do what I think they're going to do, it should be good for the inside people."

The Lions also considered signing Corey Bradford of Houston, but he re-signed with the Texans, also for one year.

"Corey was a more vertical player, a little more physical," Millen said. "Kevin is more of an inside slot guy, with better hands, more consistent hands. He's a good route runner. He's a hardworking kid. He's a smart guy."

Johnson has 367 career receptions, a 12.2-yard average and 25 touchdowns.

Millen said he talked to Hakim "a couple weeks ago" but would not discuss what impact Johnson will have on Hakim's future with the Lions.

Hakim signed as a free agent in 2002 after four seasons in St. Louis. Injuries were factors in preventing Hakim from being a consistent threat at the slot position. He missed 12 of 48 games as a Lion, with 27 starts.

Hakim had 107 catches as a Lion, with a best of 49 in 2004. That year, he also caught 31 passes for a 17.2-yard average and three touchdowns. He has two years left on his contract. His base salary for 2005 is $2.35 million. It is not guaranteed.

Basic black

The Lions will display their new black jerseys at their annual predraft news conference today. These jerseys will be worn for two home games and give the Lions four jerseys -- the traditional Honolulu blue and silver for home, white for the road, and the throwbacks that are worn on Thanksgiving Day.

Personnel update

Defensive end Darren Howard of New Orleans has been on the trade block for two months, and a deal could be done on Saturday during the first three rounds of the draft.

The Lions aren't interested because of the hefty contract Howard will command, Millen indicated.

Millen was expecting word late Wednesday on whether the Lions would get two restricted free agents who have signed one-year offer sheets -- offensive lineman Kyle Kosier of San Francisco and inside linebacker Brad Kassell of Tennessee.

Coach Mike Nolan has indicated the 49ers will not match the Lions' offer. But the official deadline was midnight Wednesday, with official notification sometime today.

. . . Two restricted free agents, offensive tackle Victor Rogers and safety Vernon Fox, signed one-year tenders Wednesday.

---------------------

I think it's safe to say that Az will be gone after 1/June (unless he is will ing to re-do his contract before then). Also the Lions most likely won't take a receiver in the 1st round Saturday.

April 21st, 2005, 5:03 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next