View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 31st, 2014, 5:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Lions sign Kevin Johnson? 
Fair Weather Fan

This is a really nice signing. He has had a 1000 yard season, veteran. Fell off some last year and got cut by the Browns(?), I'm not sure what the story is there.

April 21st, 2005, 9:34 am
RIP Killer

This is a really nice signing. He has had a 1000 yard season, veteran. Fell off some last year and got cut by the Browns(?), I'm not sure what the story is there.

Was cut by the Browns then joined the Ravens and got released from them.

April 21st, 2005, 9:49 am
Modmin Dude

I think Az will be traded on Sat..........

April 21st, 2005, 10:06 am
RIP Killer

I think Az will be traded on Sat..........

I dunno...I don't know who'd want that contract of his. How about Washington!?!? Those suckers will take anything.

Last edited by conversion02 on April 21st, 2005, 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

April 21st, 2005, 10:08 am
Site Admin

I guess I don't get why people would want Az if everyone here believes he is overpaid? Would we be eating some money to move him or what?

April 21st, 2005, 10:08 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Ax......I mean Az, will likely be a June 1st cut. His cap number if he stays is $3.4 million for 2005. That's WAAAY too much for a third or fourth receiver. If they cut him prior to June 1 his number against the cap drops to $2.1 million. If they wait until after June 1 his cap number in 2005 is cut in half, with the other half allocated to the 2006 cap. Az won't be here in August of 2005 without his accepting a much lesser contract. You can bet your house on that.

April 21st, 2005, 10:58 am
Pro Bowl Player

I was excited last year thinking about Az, Tai, CROG, and RWilliams ...

Then The first game of the season ended that whole gitty feeling

NOW though KJ2, AZ, CROG, RWilliams, and M.Pollard all HEALTHY... I need to dry my seat. AZ should restructure and Detroit should be hard to stop especially with KJ1 established in the backfield

How many more months still the season starts???? :cry:

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

April 21st, 2005, 2:18 pm
Profile WWW
Cheerleader

I'm pretty confident that the M&M boys will work out some kind of draft day trade including Az, he is worth a late second or third round pick. If we could restructure his contract that would be great, but with a healthy receiving corps its not too likely he'll play much.

April 21st, 2005, 2:25 pm
Hall of Fame Player

I'm pretty confident that the M&M boys will work out some kind of draft day trade including Az, he is worth a late second or third round pick. If we could restructure his contract that would be great, but with a healthy receiving corps its not too likely he'll play much.

I don't believe that will happen. No one wants Az at this price and we'd take the cap hit now.

Az reworks his deal or he's gone after 1/Jun. There's no other options.

April 21st, 2005, 2:31 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

I actually hope there is a restructure. I know he is not a #1 receiver but he can and will be a game changer at times. At any time if given the ball in the right location hit in stride he can be our most dangerous receiver. Yes he costs too much for the occasional big play but you want guys like this that demand respect. If cRog and Roy are covered by the top DBs on the other team its nice to have Az there to serve as a big play threat.

April 21st, 2005, 2:36 pm
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Player

I actually hope there is a restructure. I know he is not a #1 receiver but he can and will be a game changer at times. At any time if given the ball in the right location hit in stride he can be our most dangerous receiver. Yes he costs too much for the occasional big play but you want guys like this that demand respect. If cRog and Roy are covered by the top DBs on the other team its nice to have Az there to serve as a big play threat.

I completely agree. I would prefer he stays. But his price has got to come down.

Put it this way - if we draft a WR in the first 3 rounds: Az is az good az gone come 1/Jun.

April 21st, 2005, 2:42 pm
Profile WWW
Cheerleader

Well, I just found this at www.fanball.com

Lions: Hakim to be traded or released

THE NEWS

Due to the signing of wide receiver Kevin Johnson on Wednesday, it appears the Lions will release or trade wideout Az-Zahir Hakim in the near future, according to the Michigan Live website. Johnson was signed to play the No. 3 receiver role, which was occupied by Hakim for the last three seasons.

OUR VIEW

Hakim is scheduled to make $2.4 million this season, whereas Johnson signed a one-year deal worth $1 million. From a money perspective, unloading Hakim is a no-brainer for the Lions.

April 21st, 2005, 2:42 pm
RIP Killer

To be completely honest, I hope that the Lions can get a restructured deal signed by Az as well. He should be able to get the Lions to front him a deal for around $1 million per year like they did Tai and KJ. All he has to do is agree to void the last year of his deal, and take half his salary this year as a signing bonus and extend the deal to 2007 or 2008.

The problem is, I don't think Hakim is willing to play as a fourth receiver. And rest assured, that's exactly what he'll be if Roy, Charles and Kevin stay healthy.

April 21st, 2005, 3:03 pm
RIP Killer

No team will touch Az now in a trade. He's nowhere near being worth a second or third rounder (Miami got David Boston for a sixth round pick) and teams know if he leaves it will be on June 1. Why trade a pick for a player you can negotiate with in a little over a month?

April 21st, 2005, 3:05 pm
Varsity Benchwarmer

thedanzone wrote:
Decent signing.

Again, Az Hakim will not be cut, he doesn't create enough cap space to sign even one player for the league minimum. This is becoming my pet peeve.

If Az gets cut after June 1 he does create enough space. Besides, this year he accounts for $3.4 million against the cap. If they cut him prior to June 1 he only counts as $2.1 million against the cap (allocated signing bonus for 2005 & 2006). Should they cut him after June 1, he only counts as $1.05 million this year and the same amount next year. So to say that his being cut won't make enough space is wrong.

Okay then let me put my foot in my mouth!

What happens when a player has more then two years and is cut after June 1st? Also what happens when a player retires?

April 21st, 2005, 5:41 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next