View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 31st, 2014, 11:58 am

Reply to topic  [ 773 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44 ... 52  Next
 Lions Predictions 
Stadium Announcer

Post Re: Lions Predictions
And as far as people saying we dont have a running game, our leading rusher last year played 6 games and had 390 yds. Our running game is much better this season.

October 8th, 2012, 11:31 am
Team MVP

ZAndrews81 wrote:
And as far as people saying we dont have a running game, our leading rusher last year played 6 games and had 390 yds. Our running game is much better this season.

I agree that our running game is better this year, and I think a lot of that is due to the surprisingly good play of Gosder. BUT, I still dont think its good enough for defenses to have to worry about. Seems they are playing the pass so much because they arent worried about our running game. But as mentioned before many times, I think the offensive playcalling has a ton to do with the question marks on offense.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

October 8th, 2012, 12:40 pm
Fair Weather Fan

This season has been surprising on so many different levels so far. Defenses have finally adjusted and figured out how to play great passing teams, such as GB, NO, and Detroit. The thing that made the Saints' offense so potent was the ability to run the football, which opened up the passing game. Great center/guard play was the key to this. Fast forward to this year. A fair amount of the blame for the Saint's lack of production is placed squarely on the fact that the coaching staff and the whole organization is in turmoil. This cannot be discounted, and neither can the lack of an effective defense, as the Saints have been behind in games because their defense cannot stop anyone, it seems. However, the lack of explosivness of the Saints offense has been puzzling, with nearly all of the same players returning. Again, part of the reason for this is the absence of Sean Payton, but not all of it. I believe the reason for this lies with the interior O-Line. The loss of Carl Nicks to FA has been undestimated. Sure, Ben Grubbs was a very good replacement, but he's not at the level of Nicks. Currently, the Saints are 28th in the league in rushing, and first in passing. Part of the lack of the running game must be attributed to being behind in games, and having no choice but to pass, but it doesn't explain thier lack of effectiveness running the ball, especially when teams are playing lots of Cover 2/Cover 3 zone against them. The fact of the matter is, the interior OL isn't getting the job done the same way they had over the previous 3 seasons. Why bring up the Saints in this forum? The Lions have a very similar problem. While Rob Sims has played well for the most part this season, Dominic Raiola has been a liability for years now, and Stephen Peterman is an average at best guard. The lack of the ability to get push from the interior O-Line means teams don't EVER need to stack the box against the Lions. No team fears or respects the Lions run game, and therefore, it will be nearly impossible to pick up the big passing plays. The deep pass has been totally taken away, and that is what the Lions, and the Saints, depend on to effectively run their offense. Until we can solidify out interior OL, and run the football up the middle against zone coverages, the Lions offense will be ineffective, and will not take that next step. Also, with a full year of game tape, teams now know what the Lions are trying to do offensively. I think part of the success of our offense last year had a lot to do with teams not knowing what was coming, because of the lack of tape on Stafford. That luxury is gone now. We will see consistant cover 2/cover 3 against the Lions until they can run the ball up the middle pretty much at will. That is how you beat zone coverages, and only then will our passing game open up. Of course, there are many more factors that just this. Vanilla play calling and terrible special teams play which has put our team behind are among them, but I really feel until the Lions can run the ball up the middle, we will be an average at best team offensively.

October 8th, 2012, 1:52 pm
RIP Killer

Welcome to Lionbacker Relionme, good first post!

October 8th, 2012, 1:56 pm
Profile WWW
Butkus Award Winner

Thank me when these come true.

@ Philidelphia: W, 24-17
@ Chicago: W, 21-13
vs. Seattle: W, 16-10
@ Jacksonville: W, 31-14
@ Minnesota: W, 27-17
vs. Green Bay: W, 31-28
vs. Houston: L, 17-23
vs. Indianapolis: W, 38-20
@ Green Bay: L, 24-31
@ Arizona: L, 21-24
vs. Atlanta: W, 27-21
vs. Chicago: W, 30-17

10-6, 5th seed wild-card

October 8th, 2012, 2:44 pm
Walk On

Shotty wrote:
Thank me when these come true.

@ Philidelphia: W, 24-17
@ Chicago: W, 21-13
vs. Seattle: W, 16-10
@ Jacksonville: W, 31-14
@ Minnesota: W, 27-17
vs. Green Bay: W, 31-28
vs. Houston: L, 17-23
vs. Indianapolis: W, 38-20
@ Green Bay: L, 24-31
@ Arizona: L, 21-24
vs. Atlanta: W, 27-21
vs. Chicago: W, 30-17

10-6, 5th seed wild-card

"Their infidels are committing suicide by the hundreds on the gates of Baghdad. Be assured, Baghdad is safe, protected." - Baghdad Bob

8-[

October 8th, 2012, 3:22 pm
RIP Killer

There's a HUGE difference between having a running game that gets yards, and having a reliable running game that gets yards when you need them. The current Lions running game is the former, not the latter. Our offensive line cannot be relied upon to open holes when it is absolutely needed, and that is the issue. They don't have to be able to do it every time, but they need to be able to do it some of the time so that opposing teams respect it enough to not dedicate themselves to stopping the pass first on obvious running situations. Third and short, at least right now, pretty much automatically equals a passing down for the Lions. They still can't get the tough yards when it counts. And that means the running game isn't where it needs to be.

October 8th, 2012, 6:05 pm
Fair Weather Fan

Pablo wrote:
Welcome to Lionbacker Relionme, good first post!

Thanks Pablo!

October 8th, 2012, 6:06 pm
Stadium Announcer

I think what really bothers me is that nobody respected the run last season, and everyone doubled Calvin last year. We still were explosive and blew the top off defenses. Why won't they push the ball down the field? Linehan is calling scared.

October 8th, 2012, 9:36 pm
3rd Round Selection

Shotty wrote:
10-6, 5th seed wild-card

6-10, 5th pick in the draft.

Of course, if it starts to go like Shotty's predicted, I'll jump straight back on the bandwagon and pretend nothing happened. But right now, I think we're looking at a 6-10 year and I think that might be optimistic ...

October 9th, 2012, 7:55 am
RIP Killer

ZAndrews81 wrote:
I think what really bothers me is that nobody respected the run last season, and everyone doubled Calvin last year. We still were explosive and blew the top off defenses. Why won't they push the ball down the field? Linehan is calling scared.

I think there's some truth to your last sentence, but it's not just on Linehan. Last season Calvin had 8 TDs through the first four games. Why? Because during that stretch Stafford wasn't targeting him almost every play. During that stretch the Lions were making pretty good use of Tony Scheffler, which pulled coverage off of Calvin somewhat. Stafford was spreading the ball around MUCH more. I saw it this pre-season, how Stafford was just staring down Calvin much of the time. If I could see it, then the coaching staff SHOULD have seen it and done something about it. Now, the offense is struggling. I don't think that's a coincidence.

Also, I think there is some truth to what Ron Jaworski said about Stafford and his mechanics. He doesn't seem as fluid and comfortable, and he definitely seems to be throwing the ball more sidearm than he was last season. Is it possible Matt suffered some sort of shoulder injury that makes it uncomfortable for him to throw with a normal motion? I don't know. All I know is, he doesn't seem to be the same player this year as he was last year.

That said, the Lions issues are not all Matt's fault, not by a long shot. I think the playcalling is pretty poor, for the most part and the special teams play is a thing of nightmares.

October 9th, 2012, 8:44 am
Stadium Announcer

I noticed the sidearm too. If you count the league leading 15 drops as completions he is completing 74.5% of his passes. I think Stafford is fine but the lack of other wrs tes stepping up is why our O is sputtering IMO. Scheff has been hurt and hasnt done much when he was in. In week one Staff threw him open 20 yards downfield and he dropped it. Thats really all i can remember of him this year.

October 9th, 2012, 2:19 pm
Team MVP

Then to make things worse is every time (and im sure many have noticed), every time there is an article on PFT about the Lions, all the dang comments below talking trash about Stafford, Schwartz, Calvin, Suh..etc. They just have no idea and it pisses me off reading what these clowns write. I know, its just trash talk, but man when you're already mad about your home team not producing like they should and then u gotta read crap like that.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

October 9th, 2012, 8:35 pm
1st Round Pick

Location: Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 763.18 miles from Ford Field
kdsberman wrote:
Then to make things worse is every time (and im sure many have noticed), every time there is an article on PFT about the Lions, all the dang comments below talking trash about Stafford, Schwartz, Calvin, Suh..etc. They just have no idea and it pisses me off reading what these clowns write. I know, its just trash talk, but man when you're already mad about your home team not producing like they should and then u gotta read crap like that.

I usually don't read comments that people put about the articles because 3/4 have no idea what they are talking about. Most think since it worked in Madden 13, it will work in real life.

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

October 9th, 2012, 9:25 pm
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Player

BillySims wrote:
Edited to add: These are my final predictions prior to the start of our season.

Week 1: vs St. Louis - W This game is just a warm up exercise for week 2. CHECK
Week 2: @ San Francisco - W It's time to return the favor. WRONG
Week 3: @ Tennessee - L A let down after an emotional game last week. CHECK
Week 4: vs Minnesota - W No chance for a lose here. EDIT: (There appears to be more than just a chance to lose after what we have seen over the last 3 weeks)Pop goes the balloon. Season Over. Time to track our draft pick.
Week 5: Bye
Week 6: @ Philly - L They have the secondary to shut down our Passing Game.And we can't tackle to save our lives.WRONG
Week 7: @ Chicago - L The NFL won't let us win here. We get REFFED. CHECK minus getting reffed
Week 8: vs Seattle - W This will be a tough game that we win in a squeaker.CHECK
Week 9: @ Jacksonville - W A laugher.CHECK
Week 10: @ Minnesota - W We almost screw up. But, pull it out at the end.
Week 11: vs Green Bay - W We finally beat them.
Week 12: vs Houston - L Houston is a good team facing us after an emotional win last week.
Week 13: vs Indianapolis - W This might be tougher than anyone thinks before the season starts.
Week 14: @ Green Bay - L It's Laimbeau.
Week 15: @ Arizona - W If Zona had a QB, we lose. They don't, so we win.
Week 16: vs Atlanta - W We win a shoot out.
Week 17: vs Chicago - W If Bears win they win the division, same for us if Green Bay loses. We do our part and win.

Just quoted myself so I wouldn't have to keep searching back a few pages. Funny how the feel of this team changes over just a few games. 3 weeks ago, I thought the Lions were dead.

November 5th, 2012, 11:33 pm
Reply to topic   [ 773 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44 ... 52  Next