View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 24th, 2014, 2:46 am

Reply to topic  [ 745 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 ... 50  Next
 Lions Predictions 
Veteran General Manager

Post Re: Lions Predictions
Shotty wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:
BillySims wrote:
Well, if Cutler hadn't been injured last season, the Bears would have gotten our Playoff spot. They got more better than we got better this off season.

Everybody fails to mention that during that game at Soldier Field, ie right in the middle of the time when the Bears were 'better than us' and before Cutler got hurt, Staff was playing with a broken finger!

Doesn't matter. If Cutler had stayed healthy, the Bears would have been in the playoffs and the Lions wouldn't have. It's just that simple.

It does matter. How can you play the 'if Cutler stayed healthy' game while refusing to give Staff the same benefit of the doubt? Would the Soldier Field game have been such a bloodbath if Staff had stayed healthy? Would he have thrown the same terrible interceptions in the Thanksgiving game?

Exactly, and what about when we had to play the Saints without Suh, Houston, Delmas, and Berry and only lost by 14? If we stayed completely healthy next season don't be surprised by a 12-4 season, even 13-3 with some luck.

That's a whole lot of IFS.

July 14th, 2012, 11:05 pm
RIP Killer

thelomasbrowns wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:
BillySims wrote:
Well, if Cutler hadn't been injured last season, the Bears would have gotten our Playoff spot. They got more better than we got better this off season.

Everybody fails to mention that during that game at Soldier Field, ie right in the middle of the time when the Bears were 'better than us' and before Cutler got hurt, Staff was playing with a broken finger!

Doesn't matter. If Cutler had stayed healthy, the Bears would have been in the playoffs and the Lions wouldn't have. It's just that simple.

It does matter. How can you play the 'if Cutler stayed healthy' game while refusing to give Staff the same benefit of the doubt? Would the Soldier Field game have been such a bloodbath if Staff had stayed healthy? Would he have thrown the same terrible interceptions in the Thanksgiving game?

It's quite easy. At the time that Cutler got hurt, the Bears were in contention and were playing really well. They had an easier schedule in the last half of the season than the Lions and were primed to make a good run. At the time Cutler got hurt, the Bears were 7-3, and were facing games against Oakland, KC, Denver, Seattle, Green Bay and Minnesota. They lost to Oakland, Denver and KC by a combined 15 points. With Cutler, they win all three those of those games, easily. They beat Minnesota without Culter at the end of the season. That means 11 wins right there. They had already manhandled Detroit before Cutler got hurt.

Face it. With Culter healthy the Bears get second place in the NFCN in 2011. It doesn't detract from what the Lions accomplished. But it is reality. Complain about Stafford playing with a broken finger all you want. The Lions coaching staff could have pulled him and put in Shaun Hill, who is a damn sight better than Caleb Hanie. You can't throw the broken finger excuse out there, and then dismiss the fact that with Cutler playing the Bears were riding a five game winning streak and ended up losing to two teams that Detroit destroyed earlier in the season.

If you can't face that reality, then you have some serious homerism issues.

July 16th, 2012, 9:36 am
Walk On

To answer a couple of recent posts...

- I don't think there is irrational exhuberance over Alshon Jeffrey ... meaning, he's not expected to be one of the two lead receivers - or even 3, actually. The starters will be Marshall and Earl Bennett, with Devin Hester in the slot. Earl Bennett performed well when there were no other significant receiving weapons on the field... so it is fair to assume that he'll improve dramatically without having to be the guy that every defender knows the ball is going to on 3rd down. And he can play x, y and z just like Marshall. Jeffrey is exciting people because he's NOT really necessary (outside of injury) - yet he's going to be out there on the field for the Bears for a reasonable number of snaps a game, at the same time as Marshall, Bennett and/or Hester - and with near-Megatron level reach & hops... in single coverage. That's exciting, for a fanbase who still has to point to Johnny Morris as it's all-time leading receiver... so give Bear fans some slack for being excited about the WRs for a change! lol. :oops:

- I really think 11-5 is out of reach for the Bears, unless there are injuries on the Lions & Packers. At best, I'd have to assume a split with those two teams... and then to only lose 3 more? Highly doubtful, IMO... I'm thinking 10-6 or even 9-7 (with 10-6 being in serious wildcard contention for a team in the NFCN... and 9-7 basically not, unless all the stars align).

- Matt Forte signed today (not a surprise to me, being this is the last day for franchised players to sign a long-term deal). He got a few extra million for holding out - so he's happy and so is the rest of the team. The new GM is doing a great job.

July 16th, 2012, 10:03 pm
Butkus Award Winner

I.E. wrote:

- I don't think there is irrational exhuberance over Alshon Jeffrey ... meaning, he's not expected to be one of the two lead receivers - or even 3, actually. The starters will be Marshall and Earl Bennett, with Devin Hester in the slot. Earl Bennett performed well when there were no other significant receiving weapons on the field... so it is fair to assume that he'll improve dramatically without having to be the guy that every defender knows the ball is going to on 3rd down. And he can play x, y and z just like Marshall. Jeffrey is exciting people because he's NOT really necessary (outside of injury) - yet he's going to be out there on the field for the Bears for a reasonable number of snaps a game, at the same time as Marshall, Bennett and/or Hester - and with near-Megatron level reach & hops... in single coverage. That's exciting, for a fanbase who still has to point to Johnny Morris as it's all-time leading receiver... so give Bear fans some slack for being excited about the WRs for a change! lol. :oops:

- I really think 11-5 is out of reach for the Bears, unless there are injuries on the Lions & Packers. At best, I'd have to assume a split with those two teams... and then to only lose 3 more? Highly doubtful, IMO... I'm thinking 10-6 or even 9-7 (with 10-6 being in serious wildcard contention for a team in the NFCN... and 9-7 basically not, unless all the stars align).

- Matt Forte signed today (not a surprise to me, being this is the last day for franchised players to sign a long-term deal). He got a few extra million for holding out - so he's happy and so is the rest of the team. The new GM is doing a great job.

Their receiving group will without a doubt be improved, but at the same time, 2 good receivers and a few solid runningbacks won't have much of an affect because of that offensive line, and their defense is extremely overrated. Outside of Peppers, Urlacher, Briggs, and Tillman, can you name 3 other players? For a team that is looked at as a defensive team, their defense is just above average. They have to face the Lions twice, Packers twice, Minnesota might steal one against them, 49ers, Texans, a game @ Dallas, and the Panthers, who they barely beat last year and did beat because of Devin Hester being Devin Hester, not to mention Jon Beason not playing. When they were 7-3, they could've easily been 5-5 if the Panthers took that close game and Stafford was healthy.

July 16th, 2012, 10:16 pm
Walk On

Shotty wrote:
I.E. wrote:

Their receiving group will without a doubt be improved, but at the same time, 2 good receivers and a few solid runningbacks won't have much of an affect because of that offensive line, and their defense is extremely overrated. Outside of Peppers, Urlacher, Briggs, and Tillman, can you name 3 other players? For a team that is looked at as a defensive team, their defense is just above average. They have to face the Lions twice, Packers twice, Minnesota might steal one against them, 49ers, Texans, a game @ Dallas, and the Panthers, who they barely beat last year and did beat because of Devin Hester being Devin Hester, not to mention Jon Beason not playing. When they were 7-3, they could've easily been 5-5 if the Panthers took that close game and Stafford was healthy.

Well, I can name them all including backups - because I'm a Bear fan. :D

I think the Bear Oline issues are very misunderstood. They have two young first rounders, a seasoned C and a handfull of decent guards. The focus on J'Marcus Webb is unwarranted - he may not even be starting, and if he is it is because he legitimately beat out Chris Williams.

I agree the schedule's tough - that's why I said I didn't think they could win 11 (and 10 will be very tough).

July 16th, 2012, 11:33 pm
Butkus Award Winner

I.E. wrote:
Shotty wrote:
I.E. wrote:

Well, I can name them all including backups - because I'm a Bear fan. :D

I think the Bear Oline issues are very misunderstood. They have two young first rounders, a seasoned C and a handfull of decent guards. The focus on J'Marcus Webb is unwarranted - he may not even be starting, and if he is it is because he legitimately beat out Chris Williams.

I agree the schedule's tough - that's why I said I didn't think they could win 11 (and 10 will be very tough).

You must be the first Bears fan I've ever talked to since March who doesn't think Brandon Marshall will have a 1,500 yard season, the Bears will sweep the division, go 13-3, win the NFC North, and win the Super Bowl untouched.

In all seriousness, I have the Bears at 11-5, but 3rd place with a WC spot since I expect the Lions to be 12-4, and at worst 1 game behind the Bears going into Week 17, and Ford Field is unreal at the end of the season.

The O-line probably won't be as bad as it was last year, but will still make it tougher than it has to be for Cutler and Forte. I'm not a believer in the "defense is too old" talk. The big 4 on defense will perform as usual, but as an overall defense, specifically the safety and DT positions, they will probably struggle again at defending the pass. It usually takes 3 solid LBs to defend the run well, but Urlacher and Briggs are good enough to make up for Roach not being too good.

July 17th, 2012, 1:50 pm
Walk On

I believe I'm pretty level-headed, including about football... lol. I grew up & still am a big Bear fan - but I've been living here & cheering for the Lions (when they're not playing the Bears) for 15 years ... so I guess I'm pretty unusual in that I think I can look at both teams without too much homerism.

Want to see some homerism? Check out Jim Miller's article: (lol)

Jim Miller(on WSCR) wrote:
Miller: Bears Have Best Offensive Line In NFC North

If there was one area new general manager Phil Emery has neglected since taking over for the Bears, it’s the offensive line. Emery has made improvements at wide receiver, running back, quarterback, special teams and defense, seemingly forgetting about the offensive line. Still, one former Bears quarterback thinks the team’s offensive line is the best in the division.

“I think the Bears have a great opportunity,” Jim Miller told The McNeil and Spiegel Show. “I think their offensive line is the best in the division. … Absolutely. They offer more versatility than any other offensive line in the NFC North. All of those guys have played either guard or tackle, whether it’s a swing tackle, whatever. You look at Green Bay, I’m not going to put Green Bay’s line ahead of the Bears. I’m not putting Detroit’s line over the Bears. … If Gabe Carimi comes back healthy, that would be my X-Factor, the Bears would have the best offensive line in the NFC North.

LISTEN: Jim Miller on The Mully and Hanley Show

Download: jim-miller-on-the-mcneil-and-spiegel-show-7-17-12.mp3

“For me, I think the safeties are the ones that really have to step up. I like the depth of the Chicago Bears. I think they have a great shot in that division. Everybody is just giving it to Green Bay. I don’t think so. That’s a big loss for them to lose (offensive coordinator) Joe Philbin down to the Miami Dolphins. Joe Philbin did all of Green Bay’s game planning.”

On item of note: Gabe Carimi, on Sirius, said 17 of the Bears' sacks last year came on 7 step drops with 5 man protection (commenting, "nobody else in the league does that").

July 17th, 2012, 4:52 pm
Butkus Award Winner

I.E. wrote:
I believe I'm pretty level-headed, including about football... lol. I grew up & still am a big Bear fan - but I've been living here & cheering for the Lions (when they're not playing the Bears) for 15 years ... so I guess I'm pretty unusual in that I think I can look at both teams without too much homerism.

Want to see some homerism? Check out Jim Miller's article: (lol)

Jim Miller(on WSCR) wrote:
Miller: Bears Have Best Offensive Line In NFC North

If there was one area new general manager Phil Emery has neglected since taking over for the Bears, it’s the offensive line. Emery has made improvements at wide receiver, running back, quarterback, special teams and defense, seemingly forgetting about the offensive line. Still, one former Bears quarterback thinks the team’s offensive line is the best in the division.

“I think the Bears have a great opportunity,” Jim Miller told The McNeil and Spiegel Show. “I think their offensive line is the best in the division. … Absolutely. They offer more versatility than any other offensive line in the NFC North. All of those guys have played either guard or tackle, whether it’s a swing tackle, whatever. You look at Green Bay, I’m not going to put Green Bay’s line ahead of the Bears. I’m not putting Detroit’s line over the Bears. … If Gabe Carimi comes back healthy, that would be my X-Factor, the Bears would have the best offensive line in the NFC North.

LISTEN: Jim Miller on The Mully and Hanley Show

Download: jim-miller-on-the-mcneil-and-spiegel-show-7-17-12.mp3

“For me, I think the safeties are the ones that really have to step up. I like the depth of the Chicago Bears. I think they have a great shot in that division. Everybody is just giving it to Green Bay. I don’t think so. That’s a big loss for them to lose (offensive coordinator) Joe Philbin down to the Miami Dolphins. Joe Philbin did all of Green Bay’s game planning.”

On item of note: Gabe Carimi, on Sirius, said 17 of the Bears' sacks last year came on 7 step drops with 5 man protection (commenting, "nobody else in the league does that").

Is he a Bears fan? Because that's ridiculous. The Packers added Jeff Saturday to an already very good offensive line, so I don't understand how the Bears' line can even compare to that. The new scheme might stop the pressure on Cutler, though, as well as getting those offensive linemen back.

July 17th, 2012, 6:11 pm
Walk On

Yeah - he's a total homer. Decent analyst - but just tossing out some homerism to Da Bears types. To bad about Miller - he was playing very well for the Bears back in the day, until Hugh Douglas dropped him on his throwing shoulder in that playoff game & ruined his arm pretty much for good. Many Bear fans hate the Eggles with a passion still -simply for that reason. That, and Buddy Ryan.

I'm stoked about this season... only a bit over a week until camp!!

July 17th, 2012, 6:25 pm
Butkus Award Winner

I.E. wrote:
Yeah - he's a total homer. Decent analyst - but just tossing out some homerism to Da Bears types. To bad about Miller - he was playing very well for the Bears back in the day, until Hugh Douglas dropped him on his throwing shoulder in that playoff game & ruined his arm pretty much for good. Many Bear fans hate the Eggles with a passion still -simply for that reason. That, and Buddy Ryan.

Same here. As I've been saying, the playoffs will see 3 playoffs teams from our division! That's why divisional games will mean that much more this year.

July 17th, 2012, 6:32 pm
Team MVP

Shotty wrote:
I.E. wrote:

Same here. As I've been saying, the playoffs will see 3 playoffs teams from our division! That's why divisional games will mean that much more this year.

Agree. I think the Bears, Lions, and Packers all have a great shot at winning the division. All 3 teams have their weaknesses, so finding a way to overcome them will be key to getting the edge over the other 2 teams.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

July 17th, 2012, 6:53 pm
Butkus Award Winner

I.E. wrote:

I just watch a video of NFC North predictions with Miller in it. He said Ndamukong Suh only has one move and is lost on screens/draws. Definition of a homer.

July 17th, 2012, 7:00 pm
Team MVP

Shotty wrote:
I.E. wrote:

I just watch a video of NFC North predictions with Miller in it. He said Ndamukong Suh only has one move and is lost on screens/draws. Definition of a homer.

YUP!

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

July 17th, 2012, 7:20 pm
Walk On

Shotty wrote:
I.E. wrote:

Well, it depends ... if the "one move" is wading through blockers as if they are meaningless, and tackling someone in the backfield - then why have another? lol

July 17th, 2012, 8:37 pm
Veteran General Manager

Shotty wrote:
I.E. wrote:

Since I am a Wolverine Fan, it really sucks that I have to defend a Spartan. But, Jim Miller grew up and still is a Lions Fan. Yes, he played for and currently is employed by the Bears in some radio show. His primary employment is with SiriusXM NFL Radio. He is fairly even keeled about both the Bears and the Lions. And he is usually right about his assertions for both teams.

July 17th, 2012, 11:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 745 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 ... 50  Next