View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 17th, 2018, 9:16 am

Reply to topic  [ 878 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59  Next
 Lions Predictions 
Team MVP

Post Re: Lions Predictions
I can see us getting 11-5 and that's losing to Denver, Seattle, At Rams, At Green Bay and at NO. We don't have to face KC in KC but in London which takes that home field advantage away from them. Vikes and Bears will fight for bottom of NFC North, Oakland hasn't gotten much better.

Yes, it's a question mark as to how much pressure our DL can get in the passing game, but in the running game they haven't taken a step back. I think we forget how easily Suh was taken out of contention in the run game and it was actually the LB's that helped step up the run defense last season. On a run stop level, Ngata is every good as Suh was. As for the secondary, due to injuries we had safeties filling in nickel slots and that won't be the case this year. Carey can be Quinn's backup, IAB can back up Indegibo, we'll have Bentley, Lawson and Diggs competing behind Josh Wilson, so even absent pressure, the secondary has much more depth this year. LB's are only strengthened by Tulloch's return.

Could we go 4-12? Sure with injuries, but I can't see some of these games on the roster, especially home games going as losses. To win only 4 games means Chicago would have to win without addressing their defense, which means we just throw them the ball. Amari Cooper will have to have been the one piece Oakland was missing all these years, Minnesota has to just suddenly get it together, Sam Bradford has to stay healthy or Mark Sanchez has to turn into a pro bowl QB.... There's just too many teams on our schedule that just line up for us.

On paper, there's no way we only win 4 games. I can't even hypothetically believe that 4 games is their ceiling.

May 4th, 2015, 3:07 pm
RIP Killer

9-7

The team wasn't as bad as their 7-9 record in 2013 and not as good as their 11-5 record last year. I'd say 11 wins is the high cap, I can see them losing more than 9 if they don't pull out some close wins but they showed they could do that last year.

The team lost their best player on defense and their best player on offense is on decline. The team did very little in free agency to improve the team and we know their record over the years in the draft. They are a borderline playoff team that needs a couple of breaks to sneak in or a couple of bad breaks to implode. Caldwell went 10-6 in 2010 and only won 2 games the following year - that is the NFL.

IMO it comes down to two people, Matt Stafford and Teryl Austin. Let's hope they both have great years...

May 4th, 2015, 7:46 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

8-8

Bad year for the kitties in the division...
Split with chi
Split with minny
Swept by GB

May 4th, 2015, 10:48 pm
National Champion

conversion02 wrote:
8-8

Split with chi
Split with minny
Swept by GB

So by improving the run game, pass blocking, and CB depth (notably the nickel spot), getting Stephen Tulloch back and Ebron having a year under the system, and in turn losing our best defensive players pass-rushing presence and having no other key losses, we drop to a 2-4 division record compared to last year's 5-1 record?

I see losses @ MIN, @ SEA, vs ARZ, @ GB, and 1 other game. 11-5.

May 7th, 2015, 6:37 pm
Martha Firestone Ford

Shotty wrote:
conversion02 wrote:
8-8

Split with chi
Split with minny
Swept by GB

So by improving the run game, pass blocking, and CB depth (notably the nickel spot), getting Stephen Tulloch back and Ebron having a year under the system, and in turn losing our best defensive players pass-rushing presence and having no other key losses, we drop to a 2-4 division record compared to last year's 5-1 record?

I think people expect a letdown after we had a heart transplant on the D-line. We are still on the anti rejection meds. I am waiting until at least after the 3rd pre season game before I even try to predict how the Lions will do.

May 7th, 2015, 8:15 pm
RIP Killer

Shotty wrote:
conversion02 wrote:
8-8

Split with chi
Split with minny
Swept by GB

(Nearly) Everyone improves in the offseason. Everyone gains experience. Everyone is a year older, a year better... And yet...many teams regress. We can't have 3 or 4 4th quarter comebacks ever single year.

May 7th, 2015, 11:04 pm
QB Coach - Brian Callahan

Shotty wrote:
conversion02 wrote:
8-8

Split with chi
Split with minny
Swept by GB

On page 32 of this very topic you predicted that the Lions would go "10-6 at worst" in the 2012 season using largely identical logic.

How'd they finish? 4-12.

The Lions had a very good off season that year, too. The 2012 team was almost identical to the 2011 squad.

But the 2011 Lions benefited from a great deal of luck. I think you can the same thing about the 2014 Lions. Plus the d-line, which was literally the entire reason the Lions got to the playoffs last year, was decimated this off season. Ngata isn't nearly as good as Suh. He's also much older, and just a radically different sort of player.

I'm sticking by 4-6 wins.

May 8th, 2015, 2:52 pm
National Champion

Blueskies wrote:
Shotty wrote:
conversion02 wrote:
8-8

Split with chi
Split with minny
Swept by GB

On page 32 of this very topic you predicted that the Lions would go "10-6 at worst" in the 2012 season using largely identical logic.

How'd they finish? 4-12.

The Lions had a very good off season that year, too. The 2012 team was almost identical to the 2011 squad.

But the 2011 Lions benefited from a great deal of luck. I think you can the same thing about the 2014 Lions. Plus the d-line, which was literally the entire reason the Lions got to the playoffs last year, was decimated this off season. Ngata isn't nearly as good as Suh. He's also much older, and just a radically different sort of player.

There was no plausible reasoning to foresee such a wreck of a season following 2011. I'm predicting 11 wins, but never stated that that's where we'll be at worst as I did then. I wouldn't be surprised with 7-8 wins if nothing goes our way. The Packers needed comebacks to beat the Jets and Dolphins, and had zero injuries all season, given that A Rod only missed a few partial games. That'd put them at 10-6. We had 4 comebacks, without them we'd be at 7-9, but the fact is that it takes a special QB to orchestrate those comebacks, whether you want to admit that much. I'm betting his magic doesn't fade this year, and with clear improvements in various problem spots, the team as a whole will be better.

May 8th, 2015, 3:35 pm
Megatron

Blueskies wrote:
Shotty wrote:
conversion02 wrote:
8-8

Split with chi
Split with minny
Swept by GB

How'd they finish? 4-12.

Caldwell & Co > Schwartz & Co
They may not be 11-5, but I'm more confident in that than only getting 4-6 wins.
JMHO

May 8th, 2015, 4:51 pm
RIP Killer

Simply a better line, improved run game and less reliance on Matt (who I have almost less faith in than teddy bridgewater) is worth a win or two.

However, I'm sticking with 8-8

May 8th, 2015, 7:57 pm
Martha Firestone Ford

There are 4 Dragons that the Lions have not yet Slain. 1:They have never won a game in San Diego. 2: The Laimo Losing Streak. 3: It has been 24 years since our last playoff victory. 4. Making it to a Super Bowl. They have the opportunity to slay every one of them this year. Call me an optimist. I think they will do it.

Week 1: Detroit at San Diego W (1st win ever in San Diego.) Tough physical game. Last second FG.
Week 2: Detroit at Minnesota W Teddy Bridgewater is one tough nut. Ezekiel Ansah is a tough nut cracker.
Week 3: Denver at Detroit (SNF) L Peyton shreds our defense.
Week 4: Detroit at Seattle (MNF) L Lions keep it close. Until the the middle of the 3rd quarter. Then the 1st 3 weeks take it's toll on the Defense.
Week 5: Arizona at Detroit W It is payback time. We should have beaten them each of the last 2 years. And why do we seam to play them every year?
Week 6: Chicago at Detroit W Ansah sacks Cutler on the very first play and breaks Cutler's Vagina.
Week 7: Minnesota at Detroit W Bridgewater is proving to be a pain in our butts. But, we pull of an Onsides Kick and a last second FG.
Week 8: Detroit vs Kansas City (London) W Our Defense rules the day.
Week 10: Detroit at Green Bay W ( the Laimo Losing streak is over!) We have 2 weeks to rest up and prepare for this game. Ansah sacks Rogers and and breaks Rogers Uterus.
Week 11: Oakland at Detroit W Raiders give a great effort. But, they still lack enough talent.
Week 12: Philadelphia at Detroit (T-Day) W They won't have help from the snow this time. And we have a Kicker now.
Week 13: Green Bay at Detroit (TNF) W Aaron Rogers, your reign is over! Rogers plays with his Uterus in a sling. Limits his mobility.
Week 14: Detroit at St Louis W Defensive battle. our Defense outscores theirs.
Week 15: Detroit at New Orleans (MNF) W No Jimmy Graham, no problem, for us.
Week 16: San Francisco at Detroit W SF should be in full implosion by now and we help them finish 0-16
Week 17: Detroit at Chicago L Caldwell rests his starters in week 17 when he has the 1 seed locked up.

Yep, it is finally our year!!!!

September 5th, 2015, 12:35 pm
Player of the Year - Offense

Looks like a very tough season on paper, but the same could have been said before last season. Denver is a question mark. 49ers are scary bad. And don't look now, but Seattle is having some big issues in their secondary.

I'm saying 10-6.

"Good teams don't worry about a whole lot of stuff. They travel, they play, they win. And it doesn't matter where they go, what the time block is, all those kinds of things. They never seem to bother teams that play well, and we want to be one of those teams." -Jim Caldwell

September 7th, 2015, 6:58 pm
NFL Team Captain

Better offensively, almost as good defensively. Looks like a tougher schedule. Feel like this team has matured and is finally showing it can be a consistent winner if they stay healthy. 10 - 6

September 8th, 2015, 8:42 am
Martha Firestone Ford

BillySims wrote:
There are 4 Dragons that the Lions have not yet Slain. 1:They have never won a game in San Diego. 2: The Laimo Losing Streak. 3: It has been 24 years since our last playoff victory. 4. Making it to a Super Bowl. They have the opportunity to slay every one of them this year. Call me an optimist. I think they will do it.

Week 1: Detroit at San Diego W (1st win ever in San Diego.) Tough physical game. Last second FG.
Week 2: Detroit at Minnesota W Teddy Bridgewater is one tough nut. Ezekiel Ansah is a tough nut cracker.
Week 3: Denver at Detroit (SNF) L Peyton shreds our defense.
Week 4: Detroit at Seattle (MNF) L Lions keep it close. Until the the middle of the 3rd quarter. Then the 1st 3 weeks take it's toll on the Defense.
Week 5: Arizona at Detroit W It is payback time. We should have beaten them each of the last 2 years. And why do we seam to play them every year?
Week 6: Chicago at Detroit W Ansah sacks Cutler on the very first play and breaks Cutler's Vagina.
Week 7: Minnesota at Detroit W Bridgewater is proving to be a pain in our butts. But, we pull of an Onsides Kick and a last second FG.
Week 8: Detroit vs Kansas City (London) W Our Defense rules the day.
Week 10: Detroit at Green Bay W ( the Laimo Losing streak is over!) We have 2 weeks to rest up and prepare for this game. Ansah sacks Rogers and and breaks Rogers Uterus.
Week 11: Oakland at Detroit W Raiders give a great effort. But, they still lack enough talent.
Week 12: Philadelphia at Detroit (T-Day) W They won't have help from the snow this time. And we have a Kicker now.
Week 13: Green Bay at Detroit (TNF) W Aaron Rogers, your reign is over! Rogers plays with his Uterus in a sling. Limits his mobility.
Week 14: Detroit at St Louis W Defensive battle. our Defense outscores theirs.
Week 15: Detroit at New Orleans (MNF) W No Jimmy Graham, no problem, for us.
Week 16: San Francisco at Detroit W SF should be in full implosion by now and we help them finish 0-16
Week 17: Detroit at Chicago L Caldwell rests his starters in week 17 when he has the 1 seed locked up.

Yep, it is finally our year!!!!

I am not alone! Jim Miller, former Sparty QB, predicts the NFC title game Lions beat the Packers and make it to the Super Bowl where the Lions will beat the Colts.

September 8th, 2015, 3:05 pm
Team MVP

Because the preseason is about masking schemes and getting reps for younger players, no one can truly judge or predict the outcome of a season based on what we see there. *waves at 2008* I also can't look back at 2011 and compare how that team transitioned into 2012. We knew then our defense still had issues and were completely relying on the offense to keep the momentum and get back to the playoffs, even though many of us saw the obvious issues with the offensive system.

That said, the biggest differences between 2012 and 2015 off seasons is in 2012, the front office didn't attempt to improve anywhere and sat tight with what they had, and in 2015, they went after known problem spots and improved the team overall:

* Run defense is what gave us the top rated defense, not pass rushing. Suh leaves and he was a better pass rusher than he was a run stopper. We only need to think 2-gap and remember just how problematic that area was even in 2011. Ngata might not be as good now as Suh has been, but he's far and beyond a better run stopper. He doesn't need to get sacks to allow the defense to perform similar to last year. Stopping the run forces opposing offenses to get one dimensional and that makes the defenses job easier when a previous weakness is now a strength.

* The Lions back 7 is now deeper and the strength of this defense when it used to be the area any team could continue to target to win. Mathis along with Rod Woodson tutoring Slay has given us solid cornerbacks and with safeties QB's actually have to try to avoid, it is giving our pass rush the time to get to the QB. For so long we had poor linebacker play that having an abundance of talent along with talented depth to use on the blitz means the defensive line doesn't have to be as opposing as it once was to be successful.

On offense, the are obviously some question marks:

* Was the transition with Lombardi's system the reason for the sluggish performance most of the season, or was it just his bad play calling?

* Will Jones or Fuller finally take the top off of the defense to allow Tate and CJ to kill defenses across the middle?

* Can the young line protect Matt and give running lanes to Bell and Abdullah? Can they stay healthy?

* Can Abdullah provide that spark that finally makes defenses loosen up their coverage on CJ or allow themselves to be beat on the ground?

* Can Stafford jump the mental hurdle of beating a good team at home or on the road?

All of these will be answered over the season and I did say earlier in the thread I could see anywhere from 4-12 to 11-5. I don't believe they could get any worse than 8-8 barring injury to Matt, because looking again at the schedule even the "tough" games based on last season's records don't look so tough right now.

So i'm sticking with 11-5. The players need to believe it more than I do though, so we'll see what happens.

September 8th, 2015, 5:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 878 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59  Next