View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 21st, 2018, 9:45 am

Reply to topic  [ 878 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59  Next
 Lions Predictions 
#1 Overall Pick

Post Re: Lions Predictions
I think it comes down to the lines.

If the offensive line jells, protects Stafford and opens holes of the RB's, I could see this being one hell of an offense.

If the defensive line holds up vs the run and makes opposing offenses go one dimensional (as njroar describes), I can see this being an above average defense.

If both of those things happen, I can see another double digit win season.

If neither of those things happen, I can see us picking top 10.

My gut feel is that the D drops off but is ok, but we need the O to put up big points and win us a few shootouts. Whilst the O are capable of it, Lombardi and Caldwell just aren't up for that kind of football and we ultimately finish a disappointing 8-8.

September 10th, 2015, 4:56 am
Veteran NFL Head Coach

Week 1 Sun, Sep 13@San Diego 4:05 PM FOX: I think the Lions are the better team but San Diego is good at home and its quite a trip for the Lions who head into the game with some major contributors missing some time in the preseason in Levy, Ngata, Jason Jones, Ansah, J Bell, Warford, Waddle, Ebron. This could spell a cold start to the season for the Lions. San Diego however is lacking in the passrush department and if Stafford has time to throw to this group of weapons, watch out.

Win 31-20

Week 2 Sun, Sep 20@Minnesota 1:00 PM FOX: The Vikings played the Lions tough last season without AP. Well AP is back and the Lions DL is weaker. Bridgewater doesnt get rattled too easily either but I dont think there ancillary weapons are anything to worry about for the Lions secondary. This could be a key game for tiebreaker purposes when the Lions look back at the end of the season. Abdullah and Ebron are the up and coming players that really diversify the Lions offense and make them more difficult to deal with. I like Abdullah to go for 120+ total yards and Ebron to snare 4-5 passes in this one as the Lions try to win it with offense and by limiting APs big plays by crowding Ihedigbo into the box. Blair Walsh clunks a late field goal and the Lions start 2-0 on the road.

Lions 20
Vikings 19

Week 3 Sun, Sep 27 vs Denver 8:30 PM NBC: The Lions havent won a primetime game like this since MNF vs the Bears in 2011. The crowd was a major factor in that one and I expect to see that again. Denver under Kubiak isnt looking to blow open games anymore and are expected to play it close to the vest and lean more on the RB. Denver also has a solid defense with a good passrush and a couple of high end corners. Manning wont be rattled by crowd noise and the dome plus his weapons in the passing game is too much for the Lions. Von Miller has a field day with whoever our RT will be and the Broncos win the turnover battle.

Broncos 31
Lions 20

Week 4 Mon, Oct 5@Seattle 8:30 PM ESPN/WatchESPN

The Seahawks are as good as it gets at home. Win this one and and Lions are legitimate SB contenders. The Lions offense is improved while the Seattle OL was decimated by free agency. Still, I think the Seahawks are not as good as the past two years but this would be quite an accomplishment for the Lions to outduel them here. The Lions interior DL is not enough to corral Wilson or Lynch and the Hawks move the ball steadily all game long while Stafford and co hit on a couple big plays but struggle to get consistent drives.

Seahawks 24
Lions 14

5 Sun, Oct 11 vs Arizona 4:05 PM FOX

Finally one of these west teams comes to Ford Field. The Lions owe Zona after a couple bad road losses in recent years. 3-4 defenses have proven a challenge to block for the Lions and the multi safety personnel they use just adds to the confusion. The Lions have struggled against Bruce Arians offense in the past, even with Drew Stanton running the show. Still the secondary is better, Slay should be able to keep up with John Brown and Floyd may not be playing yet. Stafford plays a steady turnover free game to get the Lions back on track.

Lions 24
Cardinals 21

Week 6 Sun, Oct 18 vs Chicago 1:00 PM FOX

The Bears are attempting to reboot rather than rebuild a team that has struggled two years in a row. Its possible just ask Jim Caldwell and the Lions but the Bears still look like they have some major holes and cannot match the Lions from a talent perspective. Lions roll at home, starting to see what this Saints offense can do.

Lions 38
Bears 14

Week 7 Sun, Oct 25vs Minnesota 1:00 PM FOX

Sweeping Minnesota goes a long way towards snaring a playoff spot and staying out of 3rd in the division. Bridgewater may be better than Stafford one day but for right now he isnt and Stafford has better weapons and probably a slighter better defense. Lions roll at home against a team they are better than (well, on paper anyway).

Lions 31
Vikings 17

Week 8 Sun, Nov 1@ Kansas City 9:30 AM FOX

Lions are heading back to London trading another road game for a neutral site game. Jamaal Charles is a major weapons that the Lions should fear in this game. but Teryl Austin will be able to load up the box to stop Charles and rely on Darius Slay speed to hold his own on Jeremy Maclin. They do have some big time passrushers so limiting turnovers will be key but this is the type of game the Lions are good at taking since Caldwell was brought on.

Lions 21
Chiefs 20

Week 9 BYE WEEK

Week 10 Sun, Nov 15@Green Bay 1:00 PM FOX

Lions are lucky to play the pack earlier in the season and after a bye. However by this time in the season Rodgers will have found a way to replace Nelson s production bw James Jones and Ty Montgomery. Packers too much at home.

Packers 24
Lions 20

11 Sun, Nov 22 vs Oakland 1:00 PM CBS

Khalil Mack is a major force defensively but he s not enough as the Lions lay it down on an inferior opponent with holes all over the board.

Lions 33
Raiders 20

12 Thu, Nov 26vsPhiladelphia 12:30 PM FOX

Chip Kelly thinks he s the smartest guy in the room but Mark Sanchez is his QB at this point in the season and thats a problem against Teryl Austin's defense. Ameer Abdullah and Golden Tate give the Eagles fits all day and Calvin Johnson hauls in two 4th quarter TDs to pace the Lions.

Lions 28
Eagles 27

13 Thu, Dec 3 vs Green Bay 8:25 PM CBS/NFL

Lions play two weeks in a row on a Thursday. Rodgers plays better with the division on the line and makes enough plays with his feet and arm to pull the division back into the Packers grip and complete the sweep. Packers win a heartbreaker in Ford Field after the Lions control the first 3 quarters and Matt Prater misses two 2nd half field goals.

Packers 21
Lions 20

14 Sun, Dec 13@ St. Louis 1:00 PM FOX

The Lions are the better overall team but have to be able to slow down that defensive front. Rams are pounding the ball with Gurley and Mason at this point in the season and play a ball control game to keep the Lions out of it. Lions will need to jump out in front early to force the Rams to play catchup and put the ball in the air. Rams win it on the ground.

Rams 17
Lions 13

15 Mon, Dec 21@New Orleans 8:30 PM ESPN/WatchESPN

This is a scary game on paper but the Saints cant stop anyone and the Lions secondary can finally matchup with the Saints offense.

Lions 35
Saints 31

16 Sun, Dec 27vs San Francisco 1:00 PM FOX

The 49ers stumble into the late season in shambles for the 2nd year in a row.

Lions 26
49ers 14

17 Sun, Jan 3@Chicago 1:00 PM FOX

The Lions win it in the cold albeit unimpressively behind 3 Jay Cutler turnovers in this one.

Lions 20
Bears 13

Final record: 11-5 (Wildcard)

Wildcard road playoff game @ Carolina

The Lions head to North Carolina to battle the defense and Cam Newton lead Panthers. Lions struggle with Greg Olsen but Newton takes too many hits to have to rely on his legs this late in the year. Calvin Johnson catches 10 balls on the way to victory.

Lions 20
Panthers 14

Divisional Round @ Seattle
Lions get a chance to avenge the early season loss but Seattles defense stops them in there tracks.

Seahawks 15
Lions 13

September 10th, 2015, 1:23 pm
RIP Killer

Game by Game:

At SD - looking at schedule, almost a must W = W
At MIN - I don't believe the purple hype = W
Vs DEN - Elite QBs feast on the Lions = L
At SEA - road game in Seattle, no way = L
Vs ARI - Cards always seem to beat Lions = L
Vs CHI - Thanks for all the TOs Jay = W
Vs MIN - at home, Vikes play us tough but... = W
At KC - The Chiefs at home are tough = L
At GB - Automatic Loss = L
Vs OAK - bring JaMarcus back = W
Vs PHI - Thanksgiving is always ruined = L
VS GB - Pivotal game, at home, please... = W
At STL - Must win game and Lions pull it out = W
At NO - Elite QB on the road, uh oh = L
Vs SF - No handshake issues this time = W
At Chi - Bears season long over = W

9-7, the opener looks pretty critical to me along with game 2, lose those and season is done. Split those and still not looking good. The Lions had to lift their tails and pull a lot of close games out of their butts last year, can the magic strike two years in a row? Well, this is the Lions we are talking about...

September 10th, 2015, 1:49 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran NFL Head Coach

Pablo wrote:
Game by Game:

At SD - looking at schedule, almost a must W = W
At MIN - I don't believe the purple hype = W
Vs DEN - Elite QBs feast on the Lions = L
At SEA - road game in Seattle, no way = L
Vs ARI - Cards always seem to beat Lions = L
Vs CHI - Thanks for all the TOs Jay = W
Vs MIN - at home, Vikes play us tough but... = W
At KC - The Chiefs at home are tough = L
At GB - Automatic Loss = L
Vs OAK - bring JaMarcus back = W
Vs PHI - Thanksgiving is always ruined = L
VS GB - Pivotal game, at home, please... = W
At STL - Must win game and Lions pull it out = W
At NO - Elite QB on the road, uh oh = L
Vs SF - No handshake issues this time = W
At Chi - Bears season long over = W

9-7, the opener looks pretty critical to me along with game 2, lose those and season is done. Split those and still not looking good. The Lions had to lift their tails and pull a lot of close games out of their butts last year, can the magic strike two years in a row? Well, this is the Lions we are talking about...

fyi, chiefs game is in london

September 10th, 2015, 3:14 pm
QB Coach - Brian Callahan

At SD L
At MIN L
Vs DEN L
At SEA L
Vs ARI L
Vs CHI W
Vs MIN W
Vs KC L
At GB L
Vs OAK W
Vs PHI L
VS GB L
At STL W
At NO W
Vs SF W
At Chi L

September 11th, 2015, 5:25 pm
Megatron

Blueskies wrote:
At SD L
At MIN L
Vs DEN L
At SEA L
Vs ARI L
Vs CHI W
Vs MIN W
Vs KC L
At GB L
Vs OAK W
Vs PHI L
VS GB L
At STL W
At NO W
Vs SF W
At Chi L

I take it you're expecting a clean sweep at season's end? Who will you be looking for as GM and HC?

September 13th, 2015, 12:28 pm
RIP Killer

TheRealWags wrote:
Blueskies wrote:
At SD L
At MIN L
Vs DEN L
At SEA L
Vs ARI L
Vs CHI W
Vs MIN W
Vs KC L
At GB L
Vs OAK W
Vs PHI L
VS GB L
At STL W
At NO W
Vs SF W
At Chi L

I take it you're expecting a clean sweep at season's end? Who will you be looking for as GM and HC?

A new GM would be OK, but unfortunately that means a whole new staff, new schemes, new everything. That GM and staff will then decide that some of the players already here don't fit their 'mold' of what they want, and decide to revamp the roster. That often means releasing players with time left on their contracts, and creating dead money for the cap.

All they really need to do is can Lombardi and get an experienced OC in here who can use the players we already have in place to run an offense that will showcase their abilities. Don't bring in some OC that wants to run a WCO, or some sprint out option offense. Bring in someone who can make this team sustain drives and score at the end of the drive.

How sad is it that we can now refer to when Scott Linehan was the OC as 'the good old days'?

September 16th, 2015, 8:08 pm

If the Lions miss the playoffs, I do expect Lombardi to be whacked as the sacrificial lamb. Not that he won't deserve it.

But if it gets really bad, yeah, blow up the entire FO and rebuild. If this ends up being a disappointing season, it'll be because of Mayhew's poor drafting and Lewand's bad cap management over the last 7 years.

I think Caldwell is a decent coach, but he wouldn't be a good pick for a rebuilding faze anyway. He's a win-now guy. That's why they hired him.

September 16th, 2015, 10:26 pm
Martha Firestone Ford

BillySims wrote:
There are 4 Dragons that the Lions have not yet Slain. 1:They have never won a game in San Diego. 2: The Laimo Losing Streak. 3: It has been 24 years since our last playoff victory. 4. Making it to a Super Bowl. They have the opportunity to slay every one of them this year. Call me an optimist. I think they will do it.

Week 1: Detroit at San Diego W (1st win ever in San Diego.) Tough physical game. Last second FG.
Week 2: Detroit at Minnesota W Teddy Bridgewater is one tough nut. Ezekiel Ansah is a tough nut cracker.
Week 3: Denver at Detroit (SNF) L Peyton shreds our defense.
Week 4: Detroit at Seattle (MNF) L Lions keep it close. Until the the middle of the 3rd quarter. Then the 1st 3 weeks take it's toll on the Defense.
Week 5: Arizona at Detroit W It is payback time. We should have beaten them each of the last 2 years. And why do we seam to play them every year?
Week 6: Chicago at Detroit W Ansah sacks Cutler on the very first play and breaks Cutler's Vagina.
Week 7: Minnesota at Detroit W Bridgewater is proving to be a pain in our butts. But, we pull of an Onsides Kick and a last second FG.
Week 8: Detroit vs Kansas City (London) W Our Defense rules the day.
Week 10: Detroit at Green Bay W ( the Laimo Losing streak is over!) We have 2 weeks to rest up and prepare for this game. Ansah sacks Rogers and and breaks Rogers Uterus.
Week 11: Oakland at Detroit W Raiders give a great effort. But, they still lack enough talent.
Week 12: Philadelphia at Detroit (T-Day) W They won't have help from the snow this time. And we have a Kicker now.
Week 13: Green Bay at Detroit (TNF) W Aaron Rogers, your reign is over! Rogers plays with his Uterus in a sling. Limits his mobility.
Week 14: Detroit at St Louis W Defensive battle. our Defense outscores theirs.
Week 15: Detroit at New Orleans (MNF) W No Jimmy Graham, no problem, for us.
Week 16: San Francisco at Detroit W SF should be in full implosion by now and we help them finish 0-16
Week 17: Detroit at Chicago L Caldwell rests his starters in week 17 when he has the 1 seed locked up.

Yep, it is finally our year!!!!

Hey Pablo, we need some way to place a big red X over a post. LOL

October 19th, 2015, 6:39 pm
Pro Bowl Player

Blueskies wrote:
At SD L
At MIN L
Vs DEN L
At SEA L
Vs ARI L
Vs CHI W

Vs MIN W
Vs KC L
At GB L
Vs OAK W
Vs PHI L
VS GB L
At STL W
At NO W
Vs SF W
At Chi L

Maybe BS was onto something.

BillySims wrote:
Hey Pablo, we need some way to place a big red X over a post. LOL

LoL.

October 20th, 2015, 11:19 am
Profile ICQ WWW

DJ-B wrote:

Maybe BS was onto something.

I was when I wrote this:

Quote:
After the draft, and thinking about it for a while, I'm going to say the Lions go 4-12 in 2015.

Mostly, it comes down to the 2009-2012 drafts, all of which were horrifically bad.

They've done their best patching holes, but it's time for the chickens to come home to roost.

Except 4 wins was probably overly optimistic. I didn't consider reflexivity -- the cascading negative effects of starting 0-5.

November 1st, 2015, 12:31 pm
Veteran NFL Head Coach

4 games left :

@STL - Lions should find a way to win this one even on the road as STL QB situation is a mess, they are lacking at WR and that makes there O one dimensional despite a special talent at RB. Special teams gaffes, a Stafford INT or Abdullah fumble could change things in a hurry though. It will also be interesting to see the effort the Lions put out after a hearbreaking loss. The once mighty Rams defense has some injuries and its depth will be tested.

Lions 24 Rams 10

@NO - The Saints have one of the worst defenses in the NFL but still an offense that can explode. Cooks gets open a ton from what I have seen but hasnt been as productive as one would expect despite having an elite or once elite QB. If the Saints WR crew is healthy it should be a good test of the Lions secondary. Hopefully this will be a fun primetime game to watch even if there isnt much at stake.

Saints 37 (OT)
Lions 34

SF - Blaine Gabbert is playing some decent football with nothing to lose and maybe is showing he could be an Alex Smith 2.0 somewhere. The 49ers have put out some tough blue collar efforts and arent a pushover for teams like the Lions. If the Lions are still battling in 2 weeks, this should be a win.

Lions 26
49ers 17

@CHI - Tough place and climate to play in Week 17 in a meaningless season. These teams are pretty evenly matched with some glaring holes and coaching staffs prone to gaffes. Both teams may be in tank mode at this point but I like Chicago to hold on and defend their home field.

Bears 23
Lions 21

December 9th, 2015, 11:23 pm
Veteran NFL Head Coach

When I look at the Lions roster it feels pretty disappointing but then you look at the schedule and maybe the season could turn out okay. Doesnt seem to be the big trap that was there last year for an awful start but the back end of the schedule is on the road and that could make it hard to clinch a spot.

@Colts - I think the Lions will get there shots on Luck as the Colts dont have much of a run game and the line doesnt protect very well. Colts defense doesnt look like it will be stout either but the Lions offense hasnt looked particularly sharp and key weapons like Abdullah and Ebron have missed quite a bit of time. Luck takes the Colts on a late game winning drive sealed by a Vinatiere FG. Colts 27-Lions 24

Titans - Titans come out running and pounding the ball but the Lions DL depth is built for that, the Titans dont have the edge speed and Haloti Ngata is still healthy at this point in the season. Stafford spreads the ball around for a nice day and Eric Ebron picks up 2 scores. Lions28-Titans17

@Packers - Rodgers comes back sharp in 2016 after a ho hum year without his top WR last year. Eddie Lacy does some damage in the screen game and Nevin Lawson gets called for a late PI trying to cover Randall Cobb that hurts the Lions with Jared Cook scoring on a short field. Clay Matthews has a field day with Taylor Decker. Packers 20 Lions 14

@Bears - The Bears seem to be a mess but there 3-4 attack gives the young Lions OL fits. Neither team scores much but Matt Prater is the difference as Robbie Gould is no longer in Chicago. Lions 16 Bears 10

Eagles - Eagles are in a rebuilding year and with a rookie QB without a great rusher or receiving threats. Teryl Austin varies the looks and the Eagles offense goes nowhere most of the day but the kid Wentz avoids major turnovers. The Lions rack up some major yards against Schwartz bend but dont break defense but Ameer Abdullah's 2 fumbles keep the game tighter than it should be. Lions 21 Eagles 17

Rams - Jeff Fisher s defense figures to be tough and well coached. Todd Gurley does dash through some holes but the Rams still cant scare anyone with there aerial threats and Ezekiel Ansah's strip sack TD gives the Lions momentum and they run out the clock with heavy doses of short passes to Golden Tate and Theo Riddick. Lions 24 Rams 20

Redskins - Kirk Cousins gets too much time to throw and has too many weapons for the Lions defense to handle. DeSean Jackson toast Nevin Lawson and Pierre Garcon and Jordan Reed rack up the receptions. Stafford rallies the team back and Anquan Boldin has a big day but the Lions fall short. Redskins 38-Lions 28

@Texans - Stafford struggles against one of the leagues better defensive units and the lack of a run game particulary a true bw the tackles runner or an interior line kills the Lions as they fail to convert on 3rd and short several times in this one. DeAndre Hopkins and Lamar Miller pile it on in the 4th quarter as the Texans make the score look worse than it actually was. Texans 30 Lions 17

@Vikings - Shaun Hill resumes the starting role bc of a Bradford injury and the Lions see an opportunity but AP makes them look silly yet again. The Lions still cant figure out how to protect against Zimmer s defense and Stafford gets roughed up heading into the bye after taking a beating for the 2nd week in a row. Vikings 31 Lions 13

BYE

Jags - The Jaguar figure to be able to put points on the board this season and have added some potentially star young players to the defense. They finally have the building blocks of something good. Getting an extra week to get healthy and prepare however helps the Lions as Ameer Abdullah has his best game of the season with over 120 yards on the ground and 2 TD runs. Lions 31 Jaguars 24

Vikings - Three weeks later and the Lions play a better game but still too much trouble protecting Stafford and avoiding turnovers, let alone moving the ball. Blair Walsh hits the winning kick from 45 yards out. Vikings 20 Lions 19

@Saints - The Lions get a rematch vs Joe Lombardi but as Drew Brees QB coach theres very little Lombardi can do to mess things up. The Saints defense is still not up to par and Stafford finds open receivers all day long spreading the wealth among Tate and Boldin. The Saints do bust a few big plays but for the most part Darius Slay keeps Brandin Cooks in check. Lions 28 Saints 20

Bears - Lions sneak into the playoff picture by putting up there best all around performance of the year on there division rivals. Ezekiel Ansah comes away with 3 sacks and Jay Cutler throws a pick 6 to Deandre Levy. Stafford and the offense move the ball consistently on a banged up Chicago secondary lacking in depth. Lions 38 Bears 21

@Giants - These teams figure to be evenly matched up on paper but the Lions are visiting New York in mid December and it shows. The Giants get most of the big breaks and outscore the Lions dink and dunk offense as Stafford misses on two deep balls to Marvin Jones in the cold, wet conditions. Giants 21 Lions 16

@Cowboys - Tony Romo is back even if for just part of the season and the Cowboys feature one of the leagues best stable of backs. Elliot and McFadden run for over 200 yards and the Lions struggle to matchup up with Dez Bryant in the red zone as the Cowboys make the Lions playoff hopes dwindle as they struggle to keep up in a shootout, settling for too many field goals without Calvin Johnson there to finish drives. Cowboys 35 Lions 27

Packers - Aaron Rodgers sits this one out but Joe Callahan proves to not be a bad replacement but with Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb and Jared Cook only playing part time the Lions are able to contain the Packers offense in a back and forth game. Stafford goes off for two big plays with Marvin Jones and the Lions finish the season on a strong note but overall looking about the same as a year ago. Lions 31 Packers 24

Final record : 8-8

September 6th, 2016, 7:11 am
RIP Killer

6-10

The Lions lost their best defender last year and best offensive player this year - not a good omen for any team but especially one already lacking talent and depth. An injury here or there, and the Lions always have them, and the team is toast. The offensive line scares me, they can't run and the defense no longer needs to key on CJ - not good. Not sure what to make of the defense yet.

On the bright side, the difference between 6-10 and 10-6 in the NFL is very small so who knows...

September 7th, 2016, 12:24 pm
Profile WWW
#1 Overall Pick

I think this team is built to have success via winning shootouts where we pass the ball a crazy high %. I can't see any other way we win - our D will be too leaky and our run game too ineffective to try and grind out close wins.

If we played that way, I could see the team lucking in to a 9-7 or even 10-6 record.

But we won't play that way, as we have Caldwell as HC. So I think 5-11.

September 8th, 2016, 4:32 am
Reply to topic   [ 878 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59  Next