View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently January 26th, 2015, 4:32 pm

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Trading Stafford 
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Post Trading Stafford
I've seen so many threads regarding trading Stafford on other Lions forums.

Can somebody with cap and salary knowledge break down the aftermath of if we were to trade him after this season?

Amount of dead $ each year we'd be left with and amount of salary cap freed up are the main numbers I'm seeking.

December 31st, 2014, 3:35 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

Post Re: Trading Stafford
Trading him this offseason is one of the dumbest ideas out there and makes no financial sense. If they were to trade him they will take a $9.5 million cap hit. If they make the move next season they actually save $11.5 million. I would also like to ask who are they bringing in this offseason that is going to come in and improve the offense? I'm all for drafting and bringing in a veteran FA this offseason but good luck replacing Stafford in one offseason. I'm not sure if Brandon Doughty is coming out this year but for guys later in the draft I like him and Sean Mannion from Oregon Sate. The

December 31st, 2014, 3:52 pm
Player of the Year - Offense

Stafford isn't a great QB, but the primary problems with the offense this season have been due to the offensive line and a lack of healthy/good Reggie Bush. I'd try to fix those problems before getting rid of Stafford.

Look at Tony Romo this year. Totally different player now that Dallas has an effective run game.

December 31st, 2014, 4:09 pm
Off. Coordinator – Joe Lombardi

Offseason depends on what happens with the DTs. Even with resigning Suh they can make the contract long enough to backload money and save some room on the front end. I dont think Suh intends to come back unless the Lions overpay for him and give him part of Ford motor as well but assuming he does potentially they could sign him and create cap room in the process. They could go after a good guard like Mike Iupati who is a bulldozer and have a powerful presence inside bw him and Warford. At right tackle I think Waddle is good enough when he s healthy that they dont have to make a move unless the injuries he had this year are a legitimate concern.

At TE, there figures to be some improvement just by virtue of health and some development time for both Fauria and Ebron. They ll have to make a decision on Pettigrew but Im not sure it makes much sense to cut him. There are some good TEs hitting free agency that maybe they look at if there s a huge amount of cap space available but that may be better spent at DT, DE or CB in such a scenario having already made the investment in Ebron.

RB figures to be a spot that they can improve. Bush is neither reliable nor healthy and seems to have declined on designed runs. Bell is better as a complementary type player that needs a partner back there. I love Riddick but I dont think he s a primary runner to pair with Bell. The Lions should draft a slashing type of runner.

As for trading Stafford, I ll leave the cap stuff to someone else but focus on landing spots. Teams that may need QBs: Philly, Washington, Tampa Bay, Arizona?, St Louis, Buffalo, NY Jets, Cleveland, Houston, Tennessee. For me, just seeing that list makes me think that the Lions shouldnt trade Stafford bc they d end up like one of them.

Arizona probably keeps Palmer unless there s a problem with his ACL recovery, otherwise I think Stafford could be a good fit there if the money could match but if he s there they are a Super Bowl contender and Im not sure I want to set someone else up like that unless Im getting a lot in return or have a delayed window but the Lions arent in for a rebuild.

Houston is also a good fit and he d probably help them tremendously with a good running game and Andre Johnson still productive with Hopkins emerging and a good defense. That d be a big deal.

Philly probably looking for someone a little more athletic, Washington is in a power struggle right now so who knows what they want but maybe they should just let RG3 get healthy and find a coach who s willing to work with him, Tampa and Tennessee will likely take Mariotta and Winston. St Louis maybe is also a good fit but they better find someone to throw to for there next QB. Jets, Browns and Bills maybe but I think being outdoor teams they may not view a dome QB the same way they might ve coming out of college.

For a trade to make any sense the Lions would have to get at minimum a 1st rounder in return probably also need an additional pick and have to find a veteran QB to take over.

December 31st, 2014, 10:36 pm
Team MVP

Not a chance in hell they even consider trading him. Sorry.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

January 1st, 2015, 12:48 am
National Champion

kdsberman wrote:

This.

If you want to replace Stafford you're going to need to develop another guy to supplant him and take over. No sense in dumping him until you have someone better in hand.

January 1st, 2015, 2:14 am
Off. Coordinator – Joe Lombardi

kdsberman wrote:

of course not just humoring the OP

January 1st, 2015, 10:02 am
#1 Overall Pick

Even after the 2015 season it's going to be a tough decision on whether they move on from him or not. You rarely see QBs that show the level of ability Stafford has become FAs and unless they get a guy in the draft that can challenge Stafford in camp next season it's very possible he just gets a small extension to lessen his camp burden. If Caldwell still the coach after next season that means they had another good season and I don't see why he would then move away from Stafford. If they are rebuilding again with a new staff its pretty likely the next coach will want to keep Stafford and will then steal the backup from his previous team unless Stafford completely poop the bed in 2015.

Stafford is just the Lions Tony Romo, he's to inconsistent for half the fan base to get behind while showing just enough for teams to be unable to give up on him.

January 1st, 2015, 10:42 am
RIP Killer

Who would you rather have, Stafford or one of these Lions starting QBs since Erik Kramer was under center for the Lions last playoff win?

Shaun Hill
Drew Stanton
Daunte Culpepper
Dan Orlovsky
Jon Kitna
Jeff Garcia
Joey Harrington
Mike McMahon
Charlie Batch
Ty Detmer
Stoney Case
Gus Frerotte
Frank Reich
Scott Mitchell
Don Majkowski
Dave Krieg
Rodney Peete
Andre Ware

Be careful what you wish for!

January 2nd, 2015, 9:50 am
Profile WWW
Rookie Player of the Year

rao wrote:
Stafford is just the Lions Tony Romo, he's to inconsistent for half the fan base to get behind while showing just enough for teams to be unable to give up on him.

Agreed.

I've said it since his first full season (and even made the comparison when we drafted him). Now I add 1 Caveat.

Stafford is Brett Farve -3 to 5% Completion percentage and a Little less skill on Short touch passes. The Romo comparison also fits. Surround him with a Running game and Defense and we can win.. even go to SB. Rely on him to pass 35+ times a game, and his inconsistency will cost you too many games, and a playoff exit.

January 2nd, 2015, 2:39 pm
Profile ICQ WWW

You have to hold onto Stafford unless he becomes a total bum or he gets seriously injured. Odds are not good you'll find someone better. You can dream of landing an Andrew Luck/Rodgers/Brady/Manning, etc. but it is not easy, and is really more of a product of dumb luck rather than anything else. If you do get someone worse than Stafford (fairly likely), you might as well just give up -- you can't win without an average or better QB in the modern NFL.

So, for the time being, you continue to build around him. Going into this off season, that means a new RB and some new Oline.

January 2nd, 2015, 2:42 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Blueskies wrote:
You have to hold onto Stafford unless he becomes a total bum or he gets seriously injured. Odds are not good you'll find someone better. You can dream of landing an Andrew Luck/Rodgers/Brady/Manning, etc. but it is not easy, and is really more of a product of dumb luck rather than anything else. If you do get someone worse than Stafford (fairly likely), you might as well just give up -- you can't win without an average or better QB in the modern NFL.

So, for the time being, you continue to build around him. Going into this off season, that means a new RB and some new Oline.

You know, I would have really liked to see how much different our team would have been if we had started our rebuild by investing high draft picks in our defense as often as we did our offense. I bet we would have turned it around in less than half the time it took us.

January 2nd, 2015, 2:48 pm

Just throwing draft picks at a position/side of the ball doesn't guarantee anything, really.

The Lions used tons of picks on secondary, for example, yet I still think their secondary is questionable at best and is really more a byproduct of a strong Dline moreso than anything else.

January 2nd, 2015, 2:55 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Blueskies wrote:
Just throwing draft picks at a position/side of the ball doesn't guarantee anything, really.

The Lions used tons of picks on secondary, for example, yet I still think their secondary is questionable at best and is really more a byproduct of a strong Dline moreso than anything else.

Yeah, we threw out tons of picks on the secondary. A ton of late round picks. I said early picks. We have 1 pick we spent on the secondary that is performing any good at all was a 2nd rounder in Slay.

January 2nd, 2015, 3:25 pm

The Lions have used a lot of high draft picks on defense. Three of the last five first round picks were used on Dline. A couple safeties. A couple corners.

The Lions also used two high picks on RB. And two on WRs. Produced nothing.

January 2nd, 2015, 3:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next