View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently May 26th, 2018, 10:16 am

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Frank Ragnow 
Lionbacker Rehab Guru

Post Frank Ragnow
I think the mighty Quinn did it again, finding a jewel at pick #20. One of the tallest and the second fastest Centers in the draft. Big and fast, my kind of player. Ragnow likely fell from grace because he missed so much football last year due to an injury, but assuming that is healed, it should not be an issue.

BTW - is this board dead. Why am I the first one posting on this?

April 27th, 2018, 6:59 am
#1 Overall Pick

Post Re: Frank Ragnow
Because we just drafted a guard at 20?

I'm not convinced. Last year, we were the worst in the NFL at rushing. I don't believe that swapping Swanson for Ragnow is the solution to that issue. I don't see our team improving much with this pick.

How much is our Oline going to be paid this year? We have a 1st rounder at left tackle, 1st rounder at left guard, 3rd rounder at centre, the NFL's fifth highest paid right guard, and highest paid right tackle. Ultimately in a salary cap league, getting value for your $ is key. Having such a highly paid unit produce average play is not the route to success.

Ragnow will be paid like an average starting guard (he gets about $2.5m per year, per Spotrac NFL starting Guards get paid $2.5m per year). In contrast an average DE or DT gets around $5m - so if you hit on a DL at 20 (ie draft someone who's NFL average or better), you generate over $3m in value. If Ragnow pans out, we generate potentially $0.

Our offense is not going to be transformed by this - an every down back, so we don't telegraph run or pass via personnel any more might have done that. Our defense, particularly the line, has tonnes of holes. Ragnow certainly doesn't sound like the BPA from more analysts draft boards.

It's the draft, so it's easy to have strong opinions that over time get proved spectacularly wrong. And I hope I am proved spectacularly wrong on this. But I am definitely not excited by this pick, continue to be underwhelmed by everything about this offseason, and am not looking forward to the 2018 season with much hope.

April 27th, 2018, 8:29 am
#1 Overall Pick

Oh, there is also a thread in the Draft sub-forum. Which makes sense! Whoops :oops:

April 27th, 2018, 8:40 am
Lionbacker Rehab Guru

UK Lion wrote:
Oh, there is also a thread in the Draft sub-forum. Which makes sense! Whoops :oops:
Thanks. I was stunned this morning to see nothing on Ragnow. I am happy to hear that this board is alive and well.

April 27th, 2018, 9:18 am
National Champion

Ragnow seems like a Quinn/Patricia pick. Moving him to guard and Glascow to center should be a good thing. Nothing wrong with upgrading the line.

April 27th, 2018, 10:04 am
Lionbacker Rehab Guru

UK Lion wrote:
Because we just drafted a guard at 20?

I'm not convinced. Last year, we were the worst in the NFL at rushing. I don't believe that swapping Swanson for Ragnow is the solution to that issue. I don't see our team improving much with this pick.

How much is our Oline going to be paid this year? We have a 1st rounder at left tackle, 1st rounder at left guard, 3rd rounder at centre, the NFL's fifth highest paid right guard, and highest paid right tackle. Ultimately in a salary cap league, getting value for your $ is key. Having such a highly paid unit produce average play is not the route to success.

Ragnow will be paid like an average starting guard (he gets about $2.5m per year, per Spotrac NFL starting Guards get paid $2.5m per year). In contrast an average DE or DT gets around $5m - so if you hit on a DL at 20 (ie draft someone who's NFL average or better), you generate over $3m in value. If Ragnow pans out, we generate potentially $0.

Our offense is not going to be transformed by this - an every down back, so we don't telegraph run or pass via personnel any more might have done that. Our defense, particularly the line, has tonnes of holes. Ragnow certainly doesn't sound like the BPA from more analysts draft boards.

It's the draft, so it's easy to have strong opinions that over time get proved spectacularly wrong. And I hope I am proved spectacularly wrong on this. But I am definitely not excited by this pick, continue to be underwhelmed by everything about this offseason, and am not looking forward to the 2018 season with much hope.

Last year our O line was handicapped with injuries to Swanson and Lang. With Swanson gone, Lang healed (hopefully), then adding Wiggins, Johnson and now Ragnow, out O line should be significantly better than last year.

April 27th, 2018, 10:50 am
Lionbacker Rehab Guru

Interestingly both Walter Football and Draftcountdown had Frank Ragnow picked at #21.

April 27th, 2018, 1:17 pm
Player of the Year - Offense

I was surprised like everyone else but I'm coming around to the pick.

My lingering concerns:
1) Interior OL taken in the 1st seem to have a pretty high bust rate.
2) How can we be successful without difference makers on the defense?

I think I would just like to see a bit more 'sizzle' during the draft. Quinn has been boring almost to a fault.

"Good teams don't worry about a whole lot of stuff. They travel, they play, they win. And it doesn't matter where they go, what the time block is, all those kinds of things. They never seem to bother teams that play well, and we want to be one of those teams." -Jim Caldwell

April 27th, 2018, 1:37 pm
NFL Team Captain

Hystrix wrote:
Ragnow seems like a Quinn/Patricia pick. Moving him to guard and Glascow to center should be a good thing. Nothing wrong with upgrading the line.

I'd prefer it the other way around. Leave him at center. From the background stories I've read, the guy has natural leadership ability, and the Center should be the leader of your offensive line. Guess we'll find out this summer.

April 27th, 2018, 4:07 pm
Veteran NFL Head Coach

Hystrix wrote:

Im really confused about why they would pick Ragnow rather than a guard later (like after a trade back) if that is the plan. I liked the pick a lot better when he was supposed to play center for the Lions then whatever experiment they are planning.

April 27th, 2018, 6:25 pm
Veteran NFL Head Coach

liontrax wrote:
Hystrix wrote:

I'd prefer it the other way around. Leave him at center. From the background stories I've read, the guy has natural leadership ability, and the Center should be the leader of your offensive line. Guess we'll find out this summer.

couldnt agree more

April 27th, 2018, 6:26 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

The Legend wrote:
liontrax wrote:
Hystrix wrote:

couldnt agree more

Has anyone from the team even talked about position yet? I was initially assuming he would play guard since Glasgow already has so many reps with Staff, but the more I read about Ragnow makes me think he will just play center. I would assume the decision will probably also come down to Stafford, though I don't think Staff would care about switching centers if it is overall better for the line.

April 27th, 2018, 8:36 pm
RIP Killer

Rag made all the protection calls and was the leader on that OL. Like Raiola when he was here. I like the pick. Dude never gave up a sack.

April 27th, 2018, 9:56 pm
Veteran NFL Head Coach

I like the player but not the overall draft management

April 27th, 2018, 11:47 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

The Legend wrote:
I like the player but not the overall draft management

I dont mind the way they managed this pick, but the rest of the draft management looks very questionable and it makes the rumors of them passing on trade downs for this pick seem bad. All the offers could have been garbage, but without knowing what they were it leaves doubt on Quinn's draft management skills.

April 28th, 2018, 9:28 am
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next