View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 2nd, 2015, 10:43 pm

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Ameer Abdullah 
Team MVP

Post Ameer Abdullah
http://www.prideofdetroit.com/2015/5/3/ ... highlights

A good breakdown of his talents as well as several GIFs of some great plays he's made. I didn't like the pick at first but I'm starting to.

May 3rd, 2015, 10:53 pm
Hall of Fame Head Coach

Post Re: Ameer Abdullah
I will get to like the pick at some point. But, I will always compare his career to Coleman's career.

May 3rd, 2015, 11:13 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

BillySims wrote:
I will get to like the pick at some point. But, I will always compare his career to Coleman's career.

From what I've seen, he's basically Jahvid Best with far less durability issues, no concussion history, a bit more bulk to his frame, and slightly less speed. He's excellent at locating the correct space to attempt to run through, and can truly take it the distance on any play. I think, barring comparisons, that's worth a 2nd round pick.

May 4th, 2015, 4:05 am
Pro Bowl Player

I could watch that run against McNeese State all day.

May 4th, 2015, 7:02 am
Team MVP

thelomasbrowns wrote:
I could watch that run against McNeese State all day.

I know right? I re- watched some highlight runs over and over. The kid seems to have pretty good vision and his cuts are ridiculous

May 4th, 2015, 8:54 am
Lionbacker Rehab Guru

inheritedlionsfan wrote:
http://www.prideofdetroit.com/2015/5/3/8534835/lions-draft-picks-2015-ameer-abdullah-highlights

A good breakdown of his talents as well as several GIFs of some great plays he's made. I didn't like the pick at first but I'm starting to.

In the first two GIF's I love Nebraska's blocking, especially in the open field.

May 4th, 2015, 9:33 am
Player of the Year - Offense

What impressed me was his balance, the ability to get low and take hits on the shoulder pads instead of legs, as well as his goal line rushing. He uses his size to hide behind the lineman and find the holes. 200lbs was his playing weight, yet squatted 570, so has the lower body strength on that small frame. He smashed the all-purpose yards record at Nebraska.

I know the fumbles issue was big by some so when he was asked about his fumbles, he stated it was an issue earlier in career but he worked on it. He said he had two fumbles senior year and that two fumbles were two too many. One was fumbled snap that he attempted to recover and then lost when he sprained his MCL against purdue, and other was rainy game versus MSU, where earlier in career his was him attempting to fight for extra yards where ball was knocked out, so he fixed that.

May 4th, 2015, 9:59 am
Team MVP

My next question on the pick, would he have been there at 58? The Ravens traded from 58 to 55 by giving up a 5th round pick to get ahead of the Steelers and take Maxx Williams. From what I read they called a few teams ahead of 56 where the Steelers picked. An extra player to move down 4 slots, only team that may have taken him was the Cards at 55 but it appears they were set on Golden with their pick (at 58 after the move down). #158 could have turned into Michael Bennett, Kenny Bell or Lorenzo Doss. And it was our original pick from the Ngata trade!

May 4th, 2015, 11:55 am
NFL Team Captain

inheritedlionsfan wrote:
My next question on the pick, would he have been there at 58? The Ravens traded from 58 to 55 by giving up a 5th round pick to get ahead of the Steelers and take Maxx Williams. From what I read they called a few teams ahead of 56 where the Steelers picked. An extra player to move down 4 slots, only team that may have taken him was the Cards at 55 but it appears they were set on Golden with their pick (at 58 after the move down). #158 could have turned into Michael Bennett, Kenny Bell or Lorenzo Doss. And it was our original pick from the Ngata trade!

I think after the first round trade the Lions probably decided to ride things out unless a big offer came through. They weren't going to try and draft more than 7 guys because your not likely to fit more than 7 guys onto the roster at this point. Plus they have been very good in the 8th round these last 2 years, so that could be even more depth. IMO the best course of action unless someone is throwing a 4th rounder at you would be to just take your guy and don't risk it.

May 4th, 2015, 12:38 pm
Red Shirt Freshman

This kid is growing on me, but I can't get pass his fumbling issues. I've seen us loss to many games because of fumbles in final drives. An Caldwell mentioned in his interview about this kid, how he improved with 2 fumbles this pass season and to go check other backs fumble % and I did. Because I'm a big fan of Tevin Coleman and felt like he could eventually carry the load taking away carries and replacing Joque, looked at his %. Tevin had 4 fumbles over his 3 seasons at Indiana, what's more interesting they have the same size hands down to the inches. So what gives? Because the big issue pointed out by NFL teams was Ameer's small hands and reason for the fumbles. One have 24 fumbles and the other 4, is it mental.

May 4th, 2015, 3:34 pm
Pro Bowl Player

If you watch him run there are many instances where he doesn't switch the ball to his outside hand away from where the defenders are coming from and that's a big no-no in the open field. I think his bigger weakness and one that can be taught, is his less than stellar pass protection. Abdullah's main problem(s) are he ducks his head and waits to absorb the contact from the rusher most of the time. I believe the he and the coaching staff will get it corrected though and have him be the initiator with his head up and thus cutting down on the whiffs and the pops Stafford will take if he were to whiff. If not corrected this is his biggest negative with the Lions more than likely to be running even more play action plays this season.

May 4th, 2015, 4:20 pm
NFL Team Captain

His fumbling is mental and was improved quite a bit already. He should at least get a little better with this coaching staff continuing to make it a priority. As for his pass blocking I imagine he will improve a bit in that regard because they did a good job improving Ebron's blocking last season.

May 4th, 2015, 5:05 pm
RIP Killer

I like his trend on fumbling, he has shown year over year improvement so I'm not that worried about what he did 3-4 years ago in college. That said, remember how Mikel had never fumbled and got to the pros and one of his first carries, well - things change in the NFL.

I liked a lot of RBs this year in the draft, lets hope Ameer turns out to be one of the best. Good news is we already know what we have in Bell...

May 4th, 2015, 7:49 pm
Profile WWW
Rookie Player of the Year

I would just like to point out that Melvin Gordon fumbled 7 times and lost 6 last season.

May 4th, 2015, 8:44 pm
Pro Bowl Player

The first cut on the first play in this video is absolutely ridiculous:

May 8th, 2015, 9:40 am
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next