View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 2nd, 2014, 8:21 am

Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Offensive Line discussion 
Hall of Fame Player

Post Re: Offensive Line discussion
I think the Lions O-line is atrocious and has been for years. It's the root of ALL the problems on our offense and it's purely the fault of the front office that has mismanaged / ignored the problem throughout the Millen regime. I'm happy to see that it's getting a little attention now but with so many holes to fill on a team that has only won 2 games in 2 seasons it's just not been a focus.

The problems within the line are almost to numerous to mention but let me attempt to address several:

1) Attitude: The O-Line requires a 'mean streak' aggressive personality and no one really has that. Backus is the softest, Cherilus is the most ferocious but they're all 'gentle giants'. Raiola is a coward who only shows his anger to the fans who are all smaller than him. As a unit they are generally lethargic and unemotional. They're cashing pay checks but have no passion for their profession. Please don't tell me that the losing wares on them. Thank you Captain Obvious; but I don't care. I expect them to be professionals and play with enthusiasm and conviction all the time - regardless of the circumstances. Period.

2) Strength: What strength? They are physically weak and under conditioned. They're constantly pushed off the line and mauled by defenses. Time and again they're knocked off the ball on short yardage situations. They're 3rd and 4th & short completion rate during the last 10 years has got to be the worst in the NFL. The average person could gain a yard just by falling down - these weaklings can't sustain a drive to save their miserable lives.

Don't even get me started on run blitzes and tackles in our backfield.

3) They have no ability to buy the QB any time. The great debate last year was whether we draft a QB or build a line and plug in the QB this year. Well we took Stafford and it's literally a miracle that he can still play. The fact that he was hit and harassed as often as he was and finally finished the season with surgery is nothing less than shameful. It was so OBVIOUS that he'd get hurt yet so many were in denial that it could or would happen. The lines inability to protect Stafford has almost certainly stifled his development. A QB can not develop his full potential by spending his Sunday afternoon running for his life because the line can't buy him a modicum of time.

4) Inconsistency: There's been so many different players on the line (except for LT Backus & C Raiola) that they've never had an opportunity to 'gel' as a unit. It's been almost a constant revolving door of low grade free agent has-beens, castoffs, injury prone wastoids and geriatrics assigned to the wrong position. Strawberrys & Chocolate wrote a brilliant piece on this very subject last year. If I could find it I'd link to it. Furthermore, there's been so many O-line coaches over the years that the players will go into cardiac arrest this year when they find out that they don't have to learn and new scheme or coaches name.

There's more but now my blood pressure is giving me a headache behind my right eye.

steensn wrote:
I think our Oline is on the verge of being "good."

I'm sorry steensn but there is ZERO evidence of that. The trade with Seattle brings us a fine young guard in Rob Sims. And, Yes; Sims is an upgrade over Loper & Ramirez. But honestly, Camryn Manheim is probably an upgrade over Gabourey Sidibe but I wouldn't want my friends seeing me take either out to dinner.

This is, and has been, a far below average O-Line. The addition of Sims improves it and most likely makes both Backus and Raiola better but they're still not good or anything close to it. I would even anticipate that this season is a better year for Cherilus (it needs to be for his sake) but this O-Line still has a LONG way to go just to be average. Furthermore, just being "good" is not the benchmark we should be aiming for. As a fan I want and deserve more than that.

After watching Stafford last year I consider him a pretty tough kid. Does anybody really trust this line to protect him this year to the point where he can start all 16 games? I wouldn't trust this line with a dead fly let alone our $80 Million franchise QB of the future.

I think that anyone who anticipates an enormous change in this O-Line is going to be very disappointed if you don't adjust your expectations.

April 24th, 2010, 7:58 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Just an opinion if I buy into Swartz BS. If he loves Backus... then he must be better than I ever gave him credit for.

April 24th, 2010, 10:04 am
RIP Killer

Our OL is now acceptable (for the Lions). It went from below-average to now acceptable IMO.

What is there to like about Goz (who I was a huge fan of when he was drafted...I thought he was going to be a stud)?

How great is Sims? Not very. He's average.

What about Raiola? Did he get bigger, stronger or meaner? Nope. Still average and a poor fit for a power run game.

Backus still shows on tape that he's average and will never be anything above average.

Peterman is the best player on the line. He's slightly above average, but that's it. Not a very good line when Peterman is your best player. I give it a whopping C+

April 24th, 2010, 10:12 am
Junior Varsity

DJ-B wrote:
CalvintheBeast wrote:
... And how very much different would it have been if they had moved down in the 2nd, added picks, and still got Saffold?

Very Unlikely. The Group of teams that were expected to make a run on OTs happen in the 1st round did not. Likely , that means the rest of the OTs go to that same group here at the top of the 2nd round. But yes, we could have takens affold at #34 likely, but they wanted Best, and I am willing to trust this FO/Coaching Group.

Yeah, I disagree.

You were right about Saffold, since he went at #33. Whether he would have fallen to #34 without the Lions moving back to #30 for Best could be debated endlessly but it wouldn't surprise me either way (Best could easily have been picked by the Colts or Saints as well leaving Saffold to the Rams in any case).

But I'm sorry, just because they had what looks like a decent draft last season doesn't put them above second guessing their moves. Granted, they took over a historically lousy team that millen had pretty much run into the turf, but their personnel moves to this point have still only led to 2 wins (and a season that included a loss to a team that would've gone winless if it hadn't been for us) and incremental improvements in our overall offense and defense. As SChwartz himself likes to preach, it's the results on the field that matter; and they haven't achieved what they want to achieve there yet. Do they deserve more time for their moves to actually pan out? Absolutely. Are they immune to second guessing all along the way? That is decided on strictly an individual basis until and unless they manage to build a contender and can definitely silence all but the most unrealistic critics.

Besides, not like second guessing them matters; Ford spent the last 4 years of millen's overlong tenure all but giving the finger to the fans and showing he could care less about the opinions of the fans. Mayhew especially, and likely Schwartz as well, will almost certainly have more then a fair chance to turn it around... I'm just hoping they do so.

April 24th, 2010, 12:00 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Post Jeff Backus: Rob Sims a big boost for Lions O-line
Detroit News wrote:
May 08. 2010 1:00AM
Jeff Backus: Rob Sims a big boost for Lions O-line
Tim Twentyman / The Detroit News

Allen Park -- Some of the Lions' offseason moves weren't as flashy or high-profile as, say, the head coach knocking on a player's door the first minute of free agency or an assistant coach flying cross-country to persuade a player to sign over dinner.

The Lions acquired guard Rob Sims (6-foot-3, 312 pounds) from Seattle, along with the Seahawks' 2010 seventh-round pick, in exchange for defensive end Robert Henderson and the Lions' fifth-round pick in the draft.

In Sims, the Lions hope they found a missing piece of their offensive-line puzzle, the part that solidifies the unit heading into the season.

Veteran left tackle Jeff Backus certainly is looking forward to some stability to his immediate right. The Lions rotated between Daniel Loper and Manny Ramirez at left guard last season, neither playing good enough to earn the job full-time. Backus hopes an experienced and proven left guard will allow the offensive line to reach its full potential this season.

"Hopefully we can settle down what's been going on at left guard for the next few years and we can form a bond and he can solidify that front," Backus said. "He's going into his fourth or fifth year. He has starting experience. I think we're just getting to know each other and getting a feel for each other on the field, but he's an intelligent guy. He played big-time college football, too."

Sims, 26, played at Ohio State before being drafted by the Seahawks in the fourth round of the 2006 draft. He started 14 games at left guard for the Seahawks last year; he was inactive for two games with an ankle injury. He played and started in only one game in 2008 after being placed on injured reserve with a pectoral injury Sept. 10. He started in all 16 games in 2007, and both postseason matchups.

Settling on the right
The Lions also hope the return of Stephen Peterman at right guard further solidifies the offensive line.

Peterman went down with an ankle injury against the Vikings in Week 10. He required surgery and Peterman missed the final six games. Lions coach Jim Schwartz said the team really felt Peterman's absence.

"I think we took a big step back on the offensive line last year when Peterman went down with an injury," Schwartz said after last season. "When we looked at our (game) cutups at the end of the year, we had underestimated how well he was playing and what he was bringing to the offensive line. We knew we were getting consistent play out of some positions, but that was a big loss because we didn't have a whole lot of depth."

Peterman said the ankle is feeling good and he's excited about how much the team improved on offense during the offseason.

"Everything's good," he said. "I'd say about eight weeks after my surgery I was starting to run and do all that stuff. It took a little time to get used to it, but everything's worked out. It feels good. My biggest goal was just not to miss anything. I didn't want to come into March and not be able to do certain things, and that hasn't happened. I've done all the lifting sessions, all the running sessions, all three of the OTAs (organized team activities).

"There's just a lot of options (on offense now). If we can get the running game going, it's gonna be hard for people to match up with (Tony ) Scheffler and (Brandon ) Pettigrew and (Will ) Heller and the running backs and the receivers that we have. Hopefully, everybody stays healthy and we can start putting some points up."

ttwentyman@detnews.com

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2010 ... z0nKfdtRGn

As I've said before, I'm hopeful that the O-line has improved. I expect it has; albeit marginally. But I still don't see it being near good enough - in fact I suspect it's still below average.

I happy for Backus and that he's happy Sims is here, but then, Backus has the most to gain from having a better LG. The problem for Backus (and the good thing about this article) will be that when he still sucks - he won't have anyone to blame but himself.

May 8th, 2010, 6:38 am
Profile WWW
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Believe it or not, I think that OG could be the strength of the offensive line this year. I really liked Peterman's play until he got injured last season, and Sims is clearly an upgrade over what they've had at LG for the past few years. Raiola is Raiola. He's good at some things (line calls, pulling), but absolutely atrocious in short yardage situations. I guess you've got to take the good with the bad with him. That leaves OT as the big question mark. Will Backus play as well as he did last season or revert back to his prior self? Also, will Cherilus finally "get it" and become consistent, or end up being a bust? At this point, I'm more confident in the abilities of the OGs than any other position on the line.

May 8th, 2010, 9:37 am
Stadium Announcer

Pablo wrote:
I wasn't too high on the OL availabe at the top of the draft and think LT is one of the most over rated positions on the field, don't believe me then look at the most successful offenses in the league.

The Top Five Scoring offense and their LTs were:

1. New Orleans, LT = Jermon Bushrod (7.5 sacks allowed)
2. Minnesota, LT = Bryant McKinnie (9 sacks)
3. Green Bay, LT = 3 different starters (11.5 sacks)
4. San Diego, LT = Marcus McNeill (5 sacks)
5. Philly, LT = Jason Peters (6 sacks)

The Saints lost starter Jammal Brown in the preseason, Busrod had been active for only 2 games over the past two seasons and they still had a decent season. The Colts got to the SB with Charle Johnson (pick 199 in 2006), not a great LT there.

In 2007, the Giants won with LT David Diehl who allowed the 2nd most sacks in the league at LT that year with 10.5. The Pats have won with Matt Light, no a pro bowl LT there.

I know everyone hates Backus and it would be nice to have a great LT protecting Stafford's blindside but is a great LT needed to have a great offense? In a word, NO...

Well put,The weapons we have added to this Offence will improve the release time of Mr Stafford which will in turn mean the OLine needs less time locked on to the defender.I'm really looking forward to seeing Mr Best on some draw plays and swing passes as that too will get the defence thinking. :D
Left Guard will be a place Mr Simms makes his home and if so this line will start to bully Games :shock: Right Tackle Mr Cherlius is my concern as he dropped off to often for my liking and was manhandled far too easy.

May 15th, 2010, 11:24 pm
Junior Varsity

The one thing that always surprises me about the talk of the Lions is the emotion involved. I believe this is a good thing. But some of the members emotions sacrifice facts along the way.

I do not believe that our offensive line is the root of all the problems with the Lions. Anecdotally, the last two coaching staffs had made minor tweaks to the line, focusing the rebuilding of this team in other areas. This would seem to imply that the professional eye of the NFL coaches do not agree with the fan here. Especially the focus on this site has been Left Tackle Jeff Backus and Center Damion Raiola, yet 4 different coaching staffs have come and gone and those two have not been removed from the starting line-up.

If you go to NFL.com, you can find myriad statistics on offensive lines. This is what I did. The only caveat I put out there, is I do not think a bad play can be totally one person's blame: a defensive line stunt may have the defensive end lined up over our tackle being picked up by the guard or full back, the qb may not recognize the coverage and hesitate to find his progressions, the receiver may run the wrong route, the play called may not be the right one against this defense, the defense KNOWS you are going to pass, etc.

Last season, the Lions gave up a sack 43 times which was 9th worst in the NFL. The worst was Green Bay with 51 total sacks allowed and Indianapolis Colts were the best with only 13 allowed. However,I feel a better indicator of a teams ability to withstand sacks is how many times they drop back to pass. If team A only passes 300 times a year and gives up 40 sacks and the Lions attempt passes 585 times and give up 43 sacks (which are their actual stats), I think it is safe to say the Lions offensive line did a better job then team A. The 2009 sack rate to pass attempts percentage for the Lions was 7.3% which was 12th worst of 32 teams. That actually puts them in the middle third of all NFL teams in sack rate. Again, the worst sack rate was the Buffalo Bills at 10.5% for every pass attempt while the Colts again had the best percentage with only 2.2%. Besides the sacks, the Lions also allowed 95 QB hits which is a reflection on the offensive line as well. This amount was 8th worst with a high of 126 hits allowed the Jacksonville OL and a low of 44 allowed by both the Titans and the Colts. As a rate percentage based on pass attempts shows the Lions surrendered QB Hits 17.5% of their pass attempts, the 8th most frequent ahead of league worst Jacksonville at 26.5% and behind league best Indianapolis at 7.5%. These are not pro bowl numbers, but none of these are the worst of the worst. In fact, if we were to cut down one less hit on the Qb per game, either by better protection or better recognition by the QB, our hit rate would jump to 6th best in the NFL at 14%.

As far as pass protection goes, the lions are far from elite, especially being in a position of being behind and teams knowing the Lions are going to pass, but being in the ranked 24th to 20th in these categories is better than I would have thought based on all of the negativity towards the Lions offensive line.

In fact, in the NFC North, Sack rate was Green Bay 9.2%, Lions 7.3%, Bears 6.2% and Vikings were the best with 6.1%. For QB hits, Green Bay again was worst with 18.5%, Detroit at 17.5%, Minnesota at 16%, and the Chicago Bears at 15%.

As far as running the ball goes, again it is a complete unit, that can bust a play: RB goes to wrong hole or the whole is the same but Adrian Peterson can go for a TD while Kevin Smith gets a 3 yard gain. So I value our coaches assessments who know the calls and know what is supposed to happen. That being said, the Detroit Lions rushed the ball 409 times out of 994 offensive plays last season. The 409 rushing attempts were the 9th fewest in the NFL in 2009, ahead of the Arizona Cardinals with league worst 365 and way behind the league most 607 attempts from the New Jersey Jets. The Lions rush percentage of all plays was 41.1% and was actually the 6th fewest in the NFL ahead of the bottom team at 37.9%, the Indianapolis Colts, and way behind the Jets again. The Jets were just one of 5 teams in the NFL to rush more than they passed. The number two most frequent running team was the Carolina Panthers at 53%. The Jets finished at 60.7%. For all of that running, they averaged 4.5 yds per carry, tied for 5th in the NFL behind the Tennessee Titans 5.1 ypc. The Lions were one of 4 teams to average 4.0 yards per carry and tie for 25th-28th against the league last year. The bottom dweller shockingly was the San Diego Chargers with a rush avg. of 3.3 ypc.

At NFL.com, it even breaks down all the runs into left side, center, and right side. So for everyone picking on Backus like the guy who posted his draft review and gave every draft pick a failing grade because the Lions did not pick a left tackle to replace Backus, we can at least approximate the work they do with this breakdown. The Detroit Lions picked up 34 rushing first downs over the Left side of the line. This would be Left Tackle Jeff Backus and mainly Manny Ramirez at left Guard (Manny is listed as starting 12 games last season at left guard). This is a middle of the road number for the NFL with first downs on the left side ranging from 15 to 47. Based on the amount of rushing attempts, the Lions picked up a first down over the left side 8.3% of all of their rushes. That figure is actually 12th best in the NFL for the 2009 season trailing the Patriots league leading 10.1 %. Adding to this, the Lions generated 21 runs 10 or more yards running to the left, a 5.1% of their total rushes and 9th best in all of Football behind 32 total runs of 10+ for the Carolina Panthers. The Lions did have 17 running plays that gained negative yardage running on Backus's side which was 23rd in the NFL behind Jacksonville's 4 and a rate of less than 1%. Detroit's negative play percentage was 4.2%. There is even a statistic called POWER RUSH which tracks the percentage of successes for the offense when running the ball on 3rd or 4th down with 2 yds or less to go OR first, second, third, or fourth and goal with the ball on the 2 yard line or closer. When in these situations and running over our left side, Detroit picked up a first down or scored 54% of the time. This ranked 25th best in the NFL.

Based on last season, working with a replacement starter at left guard (this season we have upgraded to Rob Sims), not sure how many times he had a benefit of a tight end, which tight end (if any are good blocking ones, etc.), Backus in some areas was a top ten tackle and in other areas, not the worst, but a bottom ten tackle. I am definitely not calling for his head, and am looking to see how he grades out as better talent surrounds him. I know some people do not like statistics, but I disagree that some of the emotional anecdotes from people watching from home are anymore insightful. At least here is more of SOME of the truth to weigh your opinions with.

I hope this was not too dry reading. I have a couple of charts but was unsure how to attach them. Thanks for the time.

May 16th, 2010, 2:03 pm
Stadium Announcer

columbuscrowd wrote:
The one thing that always surprises me about the talk of the Lions is the emotion involved. I believe this is a good thing. But some of the members emotions sacrifice facts along the way.

I do not believe that our offensive line is the root of all the problems with the Lions. Anecdotally, the last two coaching staffs had made minor tweaks to the line, focusing the rebuilding of this team in other areas. This would seem to imply that the professional eye of the NFL coaches do not agree with the fan here. Especially the focus on this site has been Left Tackle Jeff Backus and Center Damion Raiola, yet 4 different coaching staffs have come and gone and those two have not been removed from the starting line-up.

If you go to NFL.com, you can find myriad statistics on offensive lines. This is what I did. The only caveat I put out there, is I do not think a bad play can be totally one person's blame: a defensive line stunt may have the defensive end lined up over our tackle being picked up by the guard or full back, the qb may not recognize the coverage and hesitate to find his progressions, the receiver may run the wrong route, the play called may not be the right one against this defense, the defense KNOWS you are going to pass, etc.

Last season, the Lions gave up a sack 43 times which was 9th worst in the NFL. The worst was Green Bay with 51 total sacks allowed and Indianapolis Colts were the best with only 13 allowed. However,I feel a better indicator of a teams ability to withstand sacks is how many times they drop back to pass. If team A only passes 300 times a year and gives up 40 sacks and the Lions attempt passes 585 times and give up 43 sacks (which are their actual stats), I think it is safe to say the Lions offensive line did a better job then team A. The 2009 sack rate to pass attempts percentage for the Lions was 7.3% which was 12th worst of 32 teams. That actually puts them in the middle third of all NFL teams in sack rate. Again, the worst sack rate was the Buffalo Bills at 10.5% for every pass attempt while the Colts again had the best percentage with only 2.2%. Besides the sacks, the Lions also allowed 95 QB hits which is a reflection on the offensive line as well. This amount was 8th worst with a high of 126 hits allowed the Jacksonville OL and a low of 44 allowed by both the Titans and the Colts. As a rate percentage based on pass attempts shows the Lions surrendered QB Hits 17.5% of their pass attempts, the 8th most frequent ahead of league worst Jacksonville at 26.5% and behind league best Indianapolis at 7.5%. These are not pro bowl numbers, but none of these are the worst of the worst. In fact, if we were to cut down one less hit on the Qb per game, either by better protection or better recognition by the QB, our hit rate would jump to 6th best in the NFL at 14%.

As far as pass protection goes, the lions are far from elite, especially being in a position of being behind and teams knowing the Lions are going to pass, but being in the ranked 24th to 20th in these categories is better than I would have thought based on all of the negativity towards the Lions offensive line.

In fact, in the NFC North, Sack rate was Green Bay 9.2%, Lions 7.3%, Bears 6.2% and Vikings were the best with 6.1%. For QB hits, Green Bay again was worst with 18.5%, Detroit at 17.5%, Minnesota at 16%, and the Chicago Bears at 15%.

As far as running the ball goes, again it is a complete unit, that can bust a play: RB goes to wrong hole or the whole is the same but Adrian Peterson can go for a TD while Kevin Smith gets a 3 yard gain. So I value our coaches assessments who know the calls and know what is supposed to happen. That being said, the Detroit Lions rushed the ball 409 times out of 994 offensive plays last season. The 409 rushing attempts were the 9th fewest in the NFL in 2009, ahead of the Arizona Cardinals with league worst 365 and way behind the league most 607 attempts from the New Jersey Jets. The Lions rush percentage of all plays was 41.1% and was actually the 6th fewest in the NFL ahead of the bottom team at 37.9%, the Indianapolis Colts, and way behind the Jets again. The Jets were just one of 5 teams in the NFL to rush more than they passed. The number two most frequent running team was the Carolina Panthers at 53%. The Jets finished at 60.7%. For all of that running, they averaged 4.5 yds per carry, tied for 5th in the NFL behind the Tennessee Titans 5.1 ypc. The Lions were one of 4 teams to average 4.0 yards per carry and tie for 25th-28th against the league last year. The bottom dweller shockingly was the San Diego Chargers with a rush avg. of 3.3 ypc.

At NFL.com, it even breaks down all the runs into left side, center, and right side. So for everyone picking on Backus like the guy who posted his draft review and gave every draft pick a failing grade because the Lions did not pick a left tackle to replace Backus, we can at least approximate the work they do with this breakdown. The Detroit Lions picked up 34 rushing first downs over the Left side of the line. This would be Left Tackle Jeff Backus and mainly Manny Ramirez at left Guard (Manny is listed as starting 12 games last season at left guard). This is a middle of the road number for the NFL with first downs on the left side ranging from 15 to 47. Based on the amount of rushing attempts, the Lions picked up a first down over the left side 8.3% of all of their rushes. That figure is actually 12th best in the NFL for the 2009 season trailing the Patriots league leading 10.1 %. Adding to this, the Lions generated 21 runs 10 or more yards running to the left, a 5.1% of their total rushes and 9th best in all of Football behind 32 total runs of 10+ for the Carolina Panthers. The Lions did have 17 running plays that gained negative yardage running on Backus's side which was 23rd in the NFL behind Jacksonville's 4 and a rate of less than 1%. Detroit's negative play percentage was 4.2%. There is even a statistic called POWER RUSH which tracks the percentage of successes for the offense when running the ball on 3rd or 4th down with 2 yds or less to go OR first, second, third, or fourth and goal with the ball on the 2 yard line or closer. When in these situations and running over our left side, Detroit picked up a first down or scored 54% of the time. This ranked 25th best in the NFL.

Based on last season, working with a replacement starter at left guard (this season we have upgraded to Rob Sims), not sure how many times he had a benefit of a tight end, which tight end (if any are good blocking ones, etc.), Backus in some areas was a top ten tackle and in other areas, not the worst, but a bottom ten tackle. I am definitely not calling for his head, and am looking to see how he grades out as better talent surrounds him. I know some people do not like statistics, but I disagree that some of the emotional anecdotes from people watching from home are anymore insightful. At least here is more of SOME of the truth to weigh your opinions with.

I hope this was not too dry reading. I have a couple of charts but was unsure how to attach them. Thanks for the time.

Excellent :D

May 16th, 2010, 7:39 pm
Junior Varsity

While I can appreciate the thought and effort put into dredging up all those stats, (it was cetainly NOT dry reading imo :D ) I have to disagree on general principles:

Baseball is a sport based around stats, in football stats can and do often lie. How many times do you see the stat line in a given game almost totally dominated by the team that happens to be losing? Or a total blowout that statistically would appear to be very competitive? Not always but it happens frequently enough.

I mean, the reason GB tops that list in a few of the sack catagories isn't entirely because of shortcomings by their OL, a lot is because they have a QB who seems incapable of getting rid of the football in a reasonable amount of time.

By the same token how many of those successful short yardage rushes for the Lions came about when the game was no longer in doubt... or against the other teams second string? Statistics are just too easy skewed to take them as gospel. And sorry, but imo the Lions OL just doesn't pass the old "eye test".

I also disagree that a bad play can't be blamed on one person. Football is perhaps the ultimate team sport that way- a failure for one person to complete their assignment can have a dramatic, negative impact on any given play, and even influence an entire game. A blown coverage that leaves a WR wide open, a lineman getting badly beaten, a WR running the wrong route, dropping a perfect pass or (worse) batting it right into the defenders hands for an INT, a ST cover guy not staying in their lane and allowing a huge return... all on one person for not doing their job properly.

Look, I think the OL will be much improved for a number of reasons: including our new additions, a defense that should be able to keep games closer, and a potentially much more balanced offense that should be able to keep opposing defenses on their heels much more often; but I do believe a lot of the blame (not all, but a lot) that the OL got for last season was well deserved.

May 17th, 2010, 3:40 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

CalvintheBeast wrote:
I mean, the reason GB tops that list in a few of the sack catagories isn't entirely because of shortcomings by their OL, a lot is because they have a QB who seems incapable of getting rid of the football in a reasonable amount of time.

While I agree with the premise of your post, It was pretty well discussed and universally accepted last year that GB had 1 of the worst PB lines in a long time, and that AR kept getting planted because of the line, and not because of ball holding. Every QB incurs a few from holding the ball, but the GB line was a joke.

May 17th, 2010, 2:30 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Reply to topic   [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3