View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 20th, 2014, 1:59 pm

Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Detroit Draft Grade 

What Grade Do U Give Detroit's Draft?
Poll ended at May 24th, 2010, 5:48 pm
A 24%  24%  [ 15 ]
B 54%  54%  [ 34 ]
C 21%  21%  [ 13 ]
D 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 63

Detroit Draft Grade 
Walk On

Post Detroit Draft Grade
What do U give Detroit?

April 24th, 2010, 5:48 pm
1st Round Pick

Post Re: Detroit Draft Grade
I like suh and Best but have never heard of the other guys.

April 24th, 2010, 5:58 pm
RIP Killer

Went with B. Love day one... don't know enough about the rest.

April 24th, 2010, 6:10 pm
NFL Veteran

I gotta say it started with an A with Suh. Hard to botch that. The other picks were players they had hard targets they set their sights on, and they did good keeping their intentions hidden like Fort Knox, so they get high marks for that. Now I like Best a whole lot, but now I think he has the most pressure on him. I understand why they made the trade but there will always be a question in my mind:

Is he (and Fox) worth a combination of: any second rounder of their choice and Everson Griffen/Cory Wooton/Jacoby Ford/Eds?

Now what if they stood pat and still got Best the way they let Delmas fall to them and take one of those nice high 4th rounders available?

That uncertainty bumps them to a B.

April 24th, 2010, 6:13 pm
Profile WWW
Color Commentator - John Madden

I think this is another example of how Mayhew drafts; based on his board and BPA, not by position. I think they should have tried to grab a LB,but the guy in the 7th might be able to play that. We'll have to see. There are still some holes on the D, but last year they found gems that weren't big names so we'll have to wait and see what happens. I gave them a C because I thought they could have gotten Best at 34 and been able to grab a better player then Fox in round 4. The OT pick wasn't bad, but we'll have to see how he turns out...

April 24th, 2010, 6:19 pm
Div 1 - Starter

I won't give it an official grade because you just can't be certain. I was disappointed that they traded up rather than down which lost some value for them rather than gaining them picks. If Best meets the expectations that people have been tossing out for him then I'll be a whole lot less disappointed with the trade. However if he suffers his 3rd concussion in 12 months or has another elbow or foot injury... I thought the Fox pick was solid value for where they were at and I think if Spievey was the CB they liked ok. He was right in the mix with all the other second tier guys I thought. I'm happy about the trade of the 7th for a 2011 6th. Don't know anything about the two players they drafted in the 7th so can't really say there.

April 24th, 2010, 6:41 pm
Butkus Award Winner

steensn wrote:
Went with B. Love day one... don't know enough about the rest.

Agreed. Day one A. Rest is kinda meh or questionable.

April 24th, 2010, 6:45 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

C

April 24th, 2010, 6:46 pm
Junior Varsity

C

No brainer at #2 but a lot of question marks otherwise.

April 24th, 2010, 7:00 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Solid A-

Suh = A (not A+ due to cost and obviousness of pick)

Best = B+ (A+ Talent, B Minor Injury Risk [Concussions Only basically like Sims], B- Traded up to get him)

Spievey (Pronounced Spuh-vay) = A- ... After reading/watch everything I could get about him I am convinced he was by far the best CB available and likely better than many of those taken before him. Remember, stats don't mean a ton as a CB, because if you are considered "shutdown" then QBs dont often throw at you. THis guy is perfect for what we run, but will only ever be a #2 CB (which is great for a 3rd rd pick). Houston will have to be our #1 of the future, or we will have to draft one next year (prob should anyways) or bring in a quality FA CB to be #1 who has pure man cover speed.

Fox = B - Needed OL depth, and got a good prospect who needs time and practice. Had injury hence drop. Supposedly 2nd-3rd rd value and potential LT or RT of the future, either way having value as a 4th round pick. If 4 years from now he is still ont he roster, even if it is just as our LT/RT Backup, it was worth the #128th pick.

Young = C - its a 7th round pick, so not likely to amount o much. However this sounds like a project player with a potentially high upside. Not dissapointed with this pick at all, even if this looks like another Avril at best. Maybe he will be groomed as an OLB (weighs about 250 and is athletic for a DE). Wont start anytime soon if ever.

Traded for 2011 6th Rounder = B - Still some players that would have been worth a look in this deep draft. But future draft picks never hurt.

Mr Irrelevant = C - Know nothing about this kid and unsure why another WR when Warren or Blount was available. That said, the likelyhood of this pick having any impact , positive or negative is basically nil so if he was their guy, great.

April 24th, 2010, 7:10 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Varsity 1st Team

I'm always amazed at the process.

My scale:
A- You cleaned house. Moved up, drafted players who fell, lots of high picks.
B- You either moved up to get that falling stud, or fell back to pick up extra picks. Nothing flashy either way.
C- You made the obvious picks. If you pick BPA, you picked BPA. You pick for need, you picked a player who fills your need.
D- You reached for picks/got caught in a run. Traded up and gave up too much. Traded down and lost your guy.
E- You're Josh McDaniels or Al Davis...and don't seem to know when and where players are going to fall.

With that said, I'll give the Lions a "C." They drafted the obvious player at #2 (sorry, you don't get any points for doing what everyone agrees you should do). They made a decent move to get Best, but they didn't get a great deal, it was a pretty standard trade to draft a player right where he was supposed to get picked. Slight reach in the 3rd round depending on who you talk to, even if you think that is where he goes, hardly a "great" pick. 4th round you draft a player to develop right where he is supposed to go. You don't even have a 5th and 6th round pick. The 7th round you, basically, do exactly what teams do in the 7th round.

Now, certainly, time will determine the final grade. If we hit on the first 3 picks, hurray, A+.

April 24th, 2010, 7:20 pm
Stats Boy

I gave them a C

Suh was a great pick, but really a no-brainer.

J. Best is a great player, but I think he would have been there at #34.

Glad they got a CB in the third. I haven't seen him play, but everything I've read seems good.

Jason Fox seems like a good pick, but I was hoping they would move down and collect a few extra picks in rounds 5-6.

The last two picks make no sense to me. W. Young seems like he'd be a better fit in a 3-4. There were better players than Toole available at #255.

April 24th, 2010, 7:31 pm
Towel Boy

Should be an A because the Lions got bonifide starters from both their 5th and 6th round picks (Sims, Williams and Houston). This in addition to Suh, Best automatically make us better on both sides of the ball.

April 24th, 2010, 8:13 pm
Varsity 1st Team

I gave them an A ... based on the fact that they have a legitimate argument for their picks. That's all you can hope for ,cause even the best appearing picks can go wrong a good plan seems like the best plan.

April 24th, 2010, 8:26 pm
Profile YIM
Red Shirt Freshman

qajohn wrote:
Should be an A because the Lions got bonifide starters from both their 5th and 6th round picks (Sims, Williams and Houston). This in addition to Suh, Best automatically make us better on both sides of the ball.

Not bad for a first post. Kinda what I was thinking. I wouldn't give them an A, but a solid B for sure when you include the players they got for the draft picks they traded.

April 24th, 2010, 8:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 66 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next