View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 22nd, 2014, 9:00 pm

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 My (brief) thoughts on the current state of the lions. 
Varsity Captain

Post My (brief) thoughts on the current state of the lions.
Anyone else wish they would have given Javid Best a cooler looking single-digit number like he had in college? Think 44 looks kind of stupid on him.. he's not a fullback.

Follet is ready to start.. He tore it up on special teams, hopefully he can do the same at linebacker (though I will miss him on special teams)

Wish they would have brought in Brett Swenson.. maybe even drafted him in the 7th. Hanson is on his last leg, no pun intended.

Should have brought in Pacman... funny how if he would have come here it would have turned into a story about him turning things around w/ the coach that drafted him - instead it's more Cincinati trash talk. Our secondary could have used him.

The uniforms need serious overhaul... The logo change was a good start but they need a more minimalist look.

No complaints about the draft - Suh, Best - exactly what I wanted.

Trade for Gaither? Please? Our offense looks great on paper but it won't matter if we cant block anyone.. (Harrington, Rogers, Williams, Williams, Jones anyone?)

Overall I'd say we're in the best shape since Barry. If D Williams and A Brown, along with some of our late-round 2009 defensive picks can develop then.. Almost to the point that it isn't embarrassing to say you're a Detroit fan.

May 14th, 2010, 1:58 pm
RIP Killer

Post Re: My (brief) thoughts on the current state of the lions.
44 is a dumb number imo...

I agree on Pacman.

May 14th, 2010, 2:57 pm
Walk On

I think it's fair to assume that the williams', joey, and jones were busts. Rogers too, although if he kept his head on straight and didn't have so many injuries he would have been great. Definately not a performance bust like the rest of them IMO.

Stafford/CJ/BP/Best is a much better nucleus, not to mention out OL is better than it was then. But you cannot perform as WR or TE if the QB doesn't get the ball out of his hands. Joey and Stafford are at opposite ends of the spectrum in that regard, and that adds to the OL's scrutiny. Our OL isn't as bad as you make it seem, you make it sound like we can't block anybody. Not only did we fill our biggest hole on the OL (LG) but having one year under his belt, Stafford will be able to better digest what the defense is throwing at him and be able to take part in some more exotic schemes which will indirectly improve the performance of the OL.

I think it is very underrated what a good QB can do for an offense... he makes the OL look better by getting the ball out of his hands, makes skill positions better by putting the ball where it needs to go, makes the coaching staff look better by making smart decisions, and even helps the defense by letting them rest on the sideline. If you say that Joey did any of this you are sadly mistaken... give me one SB winner that had a QB that doesn't know how to manage a game.

Receiving: 287 Yards : 10.6 YPR : 1 TD : 47.8 YPG
0 Fumbles, 0 Fumbles lost
2 concussions

May 14th, 2010, 4:15 pm
Peewee Leaguer

I agree. 44 takes up his whole jersey. it looks silly. a 20's or even 30's number would have been better.

If our number one need is talent then Pacman should have been signed to help out our thinnest defensive unit.

Some teams look for an heir-apparent to a great qb. We need to find one for our kicker. We at least need and understudy.

I'm not ashamed, nor have i ever been, to be a lions fan. I wear it with pride. I have seen the worst. You don't know true joy until you've known pain. I'm glad i have this forum to help drown my sorrows, however. It's kinda like group therapy!

May 14th, 2010, 7:12 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

My thoughts on the Lions.

They haven't done anything yet. Stafford, to me, is still a marketing pick. Big arm qb that fans covet drafted following a historically dismal season to energize the fans. So far his chops have been made from a single game the Lions should have lost, and no, they didn't win it because of Stafford. I still don't like the Delmas pick. They had plenty of safeties and Delmas really didn't show that much, he just got that much hype around here. It kind of says something when a defensive rookie of the year retains the award over your guy on a revote even though the RoY tested positive for a banned substance. Levy may have been the steal of the draft, but I doubt he is as good as Maualuaga whom we could have had instead of Delmas. Follett is another that is far more hype than substance right now. There is a tremendous amount of difference between special teams and regular playing time.

Now, are these guys busts in my opinion? Not at all. I'm just pointing out that they haven't done anything. Seriously. Take the hype out of it. Set your emotions aside and look at what these young men have accomplished. Don't tell me they showed promise. So did Harrington. So did Charles Rogers, Shaun Rogers, Roy Williams, Lehman, Sims, Edwards, Jones, etc. They didn't do anything and so far neither has the latest crop of franchise saving draftees. Including Suh, Best and company. Are they pointed in the right direction? Yeah, but they have been pointed that way for years. Pointed in the right direction and making progress are two different things.

One person can make a difference. Lost on most people in this statement is the nature of the difference is not defined. It works both ways. Nearly everyone claims the Lions have lacked talent and nearly everyone is wrong. Millen brought in players with talent. His drafts were almost always rated near the top. It wasn't that the players lacked talent. The problem was all they had was talent. Roy Williams is the poster child for all that was 'talentless' for the Lions. Start with his rookie statement that the NFL ain't hard. Go through everything he ever said regarding his ability to get it done at the NFL level and compare it to what he did on the field. They were not the same. Look at what he said entering his contract year before being traded. He had finally seen the light. He was going to come in early, leave late. Study film and lift. His teammates were going to wonder who he was and what happened to Roy. Does this sound like he had been a dedicated professional prior to his contract year? Please take note that after two seasons in Dallas Roy has all but disappeared because once traded and given a huge contract extention he never followed through and stepped into 'the light' that he claimed to have seen.

Attitude is everything. Attitude is the 'what you do with it' part of 'It isn't what you have, but what you do with it that counts'. My brother knows the father of a former Lion and this former Lions player would point out to his father that members of the secondary were out of position play after play last year. Do you wonder why the secondary sucked? Do you now understand one of the reasons I'm not on Delmas' bandwagon? When you don't know where to be and when to be there you are a detriment. When it is nearly everyone doing that at one time or another, as has been the case for at least the last three years, on both sides of the ball, you are going to suck. When the 'talent' you bring in doesn't work hard to improve their technique, to learn the playbook, to trust their keys and their fellow players on their unit, to study film of themselves and their opponents, then there will be no progress. That has been the Lions to date. We won't know if things have really changed until at least next year. We should do better this year, but I'd like to point out that has happened before only to regress.

May 15th, 2010, 8:53 am
Stadium Announcer

Jafo wrote:

They haven't done anything yet. Stafford, to me, is still a marketing pick. Big arm qb that fans covet drafted following a historically dismal season to energize the fans. So far his chops have been made from a single game the Lions should have lost, and no, they didn't win it because of Stafford. I still don't like the Delmas pick. They had plenty of safeties and Delmas really didn't show that much, he just got that much hype around here. It kind of says something when a defensive rookie of the year retains the award over your guy on a revote even though the RoY tested positive for a banned substance. Levy may have been the steal of the draft, but I doubt he is as good as Maualuaga whom we could have had instead of Delmas. Follett is another that is far more hype than substance right now. There is a tremendous amount of difference between special teams and regular playing time.

Now, are these guys busts in my opinion? Not at all. I'm just pointing out that they haven't done anything. Seriously. Take the hype out of it. Set your emotions aside and look at what these young men have accomplished. Don't tell me they showed promise. So did Harrington. So did Charles Rogers, Shaun Rogers, Roy Williams, Lehman, Sims, Edwards, Jones, etc. They didn't do anything and so far neither has the latest crop of franchise saving draftees. Including Suh, Best and company. Are they pointed in the right direction? Yeah, but they have been pointed that way for years. Pointed in the right direction and making progress are two different things.

One person can make a difference. Lost on most people in this statement is the nature of the difference is not defined. It works both ways. Nearly everyone claims the Lions have lacked talent and nearly everyone is wrong. Millen brought in players with talent. His drafts were almost always rated near the top. It wasn't that the players lacked talent. The problem was all they had was talent. Roy Williams is the poster child for all that was 'talentless' for the Lions. Start with his rookie statement that the NFL ain't hard. Go through everything he ever said regarding his ability to get it done at the NFL level and compare it to what he did on the field. They were not the same. Look at what he said entering his contract year before being traded. He had finally seen the light. He was going to come in early, leave late. Study film and lift. His teammates were going to wonder who he was and what happened to Roy. Does this sound like he had been a dedicated professional prior to his contract year? Please take note that after two seasons in Dallas Roy has all but disappeared because once traded and given a huge contract extention he never followed through and stepped into 'the light' that he claimed to have seen.

Attitude is everything. Attitude is the 'what you do with it' part of 'It isn't what you have, but what you do with it that counts'. My brother knows the father of a former Lion and this former Lions player would point out to his father that members of the secondary were out of position play after play last year. Do you wonder why the secondary sucked? Do you now understand one of the reasons I'm not on Delmas' bandwagon? When you don't know where to be and when to be there you are a detriment. When it is nearly everyone doing that at one time or another, as has been the case for at least the last three years, on both sides of the ball, you are going to suck. When the 'talent' you bring in doesn't work hard to improve their technique, to learn the playbook, to trust their keys and their fellow players on their unit, to study film of themselves and their opponents, then there will be no progress. That has been the Lions to date. We won't know if things have really changed until at least next year. We should do better this year, but I'd like to point out that has happened before only to regress.

So,Your Glass is Half full then :wink:

May 15th, 2010, 9:04 am
1st Round Pick

Location: Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 763.18 miles from Ford Field
I agree with everything you put aughsum. The number is really dumb, and having pacman on the team would really help us out. As for the jersey thing, I wish they would use those black ones more. I really like them and I bought a Roy Williams jersey in black.

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

May 15th, 2010, 9:55 am
Profile WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

thegodjr wrote:
I think it's fair to assume that the williams', joey, and jones were busts. Rogers too, although if he kept his head on straight and didn't have so many injuries he would have been great. Definately not a performance bust like the rest of them IMO.

Stafford/CJ/BP/Best is a much better nucleus, not to mention out OL is better than it was then. But you cannot perform as WR or TE if the QB doesn't get the ball out of his hands. Joey and Stafford are at opposite ends of the spectrum in that regard, and that adds to the OL's scrutiny. Our OL isn't as bad as you make it seem, you make it sound like we can't block anybody. Not only did we fill our biggest hole on the OL (LG) but having one year under his belt, Stafford will be able to better digest what the defense is throwing at him and be able to take part in some more exotic schemes which will indirectly improve the performance of the OL.

I think it is very underrated what a good QB can do for an offense... he makes the OL look better by getting the ball out of his hands, makes skill positions better by putting the ball where it needs to go, makes the coaching staff look better by making smart decisions, and even helps the defense by letting them rest on the sideline. If you say that Joey did any of this you are sadly mistaken... give me one SB winner that had a QB that doesn't know how to manage a game.

Kitna also held on to the ball forever and was probably less accurate than Harrington

May 15th, 2010, 11:48 am

Jafo wrote:

Did'nt Delmas break a couple records last season? Did'nt show much? There is a reason he's one of the favorites here. Please name one safety on the roster, pre-Delmas, that could've given us what he gave us. If he keeps progressing the way he did, he may be the best safety we've ever had. Plus we stole him from Belicheck. And part of the reason our nerwest players have'nt been able to do anything is beacuse they were still surrounded by some of Millen's "talented" wastes.

May 15th, 2010, 12:06 pm
Varsity Benchwarmer

Jafo wrote:

I agree with most of what you said, but I dont think you can say delmas hasnt really shown much. he's the first rookie in NFL history to record a interception return for a touchdown, a fumble return for a touchdown and a safety in the same season. Theres only 1 other player in the history of the NFL whos done that. his interception return td was also the longest in the nfl last season, and the second longest by any rookie. He's also the first Lions defensive player to ever receive the rookie player of the month award, which started in 1996. I would say he's shown quite alot.

May 15th, 2010, 2:46 pm
Walk On

Jafo wrote:

No.

QB is everything.

'Nuff said.
Killwill25 wrote:
Kitna also held on to the ball forever and was probably less accurate than Harrington

He did hold onto the ball, and maybe he was less accurate, but that goes to show you that there are other intangibles at the QB position that leads to success. And Stafford has those intangibles (as I noted above).

Jafo- you obviously have a low football IQ and don't know a good player when you see him. Delmas not a good player? WTF? It is very obvious to ANYONE that knows anything about how to evaluate talent that Delmas, Levy, Pettigrew and Stafford all made great transitions into the NFL. Now, the Rogers' did too, but "busted" due to other reasons. Roy on the other hand, has great "big play" ability but lacks consistency, like a poor mans Braylon Edwards. Joey, BMW, Lehman and the likes ALL lacked being able to make a smooth transition, and Joeys lack of transition is THE main reason this franchise got set back so many years. I don't care what team you are, if you don't have a QB you are going to suck, plain and simple. You do NOT know the extent that the players worked and studied the playbook, watched film, and the like. You are talking out of your rectum [-X

Receiving: 287 Yards : 10.6 YPR : 1 TD : 47.8 YPG
0 Fumbles, 0 Fumbles lost
2 concussions

May 15th, 2010, 2:57 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

Jim Brown, Ernie Davis, and Floyd Little all looked pretty good wearing #44 in their day. I'm going to go out on a limb though and guess it's more of a political message with Obama being the 44th President of the United States.

May 16th, 2010, 10:05 am
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Can we leave political discussions in the Off Topic forum, please?

May 16th, 2010, 12:04 pm
Div 1 - Starter

Other than having a single digit number, I think that a repeating number or a multiple of ten number is a little more recognizable than an ordinary double digit number. I don't see why #44 is a problem. It'll be easy for us to remember.

May 16th, 2010, 7:30 pm

The guy just likes the number 4

May 16th, 2010, 9:24 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]