View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 29th, 2014, 4:51 am

Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Greetings from the United Kindom & Ireland fan Club 
Stadium Announcer

Post Greetings from the United Kindom & Ireland fan Club
Hi Guys and Gals,

Respect from this side of the Pond to all the Lions fans on this Forum,

Regards

IrishLion09 :cheers:

May 14th, 2010, 9:36 am
RIP Killer

Post Re: Greetings from the United Kindom & Ireland fan Club
Ah Ireland!

Welcome aboard!!! Hope you spend some time here chattn' it up with the rest of us poor suckers stuck in a never ending quest for a winning season...

May 14th, 2010, 10:13 am
National Champion

Welcome,

i find it amazing, that of all the nfl teams to choose from, that potential fans from outside of the USA or even the Michigan/detroit area. would willingly choose to be a lions fan.. :lol:

so please relate the story of how there came to be an Irish lions fan?
and there is actually a lions fan club in the UK? :shock:

May 14th, 2010, 10:46 am
1st Round Pick

Location: Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 763.18 miles from Ford Field
Welcome! :D

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

May 14th, 2010, 11:32 am
Profile WWW
Modmin Dude

"Stickied" because I can! :wink:
oh, and to make it easier for your friends to find :lol:

Welcome to Lionbacker! Stop by and look around. Hope to see you and your friends here often!

Our founder, Pablo, is from England too...still not sure how he found his way over here and a fan of the Lions though... :shock:

:cheers:
Go Lions!!!
headbang.gif

May 14th, 2010, 3:34 pm
Fair Weather Fan

kskfordfleet wrote:
Welcome,

i find it amazing, that of all the nfl teams to choose from, that potential fans from outside of the USA or even the Michigan/detroit area. would willingly choose to be a lions fan.. :lol:

so please relate the story of how there came to be an Irish lions fan?
and there is actually a lions fan club in the UK? :shock:

The fan club just started this year. I think we have about 15 members at the moment, possibly more.

My Nanna was born in Detroit so I could really only pick one team. I have a lot of friends into the NFL and some of their reasons for why they support who they do are ridiculos - My Eagles friend for example supports them off the back of the Fresh Prince of Bel Air being from Philly.

May 14th, 2010, 4:56 pm
RIP Killer

TheRealWags wrote:
Our founder, Pablo, is from England too...still not sure how he found his way over here and a fan of the Lions though... :shock:

Yup from Birmingham. Moved to the colonies when I was 3 and settled down in the Detroit area as my dad was an autoworker. My two younger brothers, yanks as we call them, were born in Michigan. Grew up on football as my date was a big Man U fan, I prefer the Villa (whose mascot is also a Lion and who last won the FA Cup in 1957, a year also familiar to Lions fans) myself being a Brummie. I got into the American version in the mid to late 70's as a Steelers fan (that is why I hate the Cowgirls). Became a fan of the hometown Lions in 1980 when they drafted Billy Sims #1 overall and started going to their practices across the street from my house when they were held at Oakland University when I meet all the players next to where I played tennis with friends.

Cheers to all the Brits who have made their way to the site, welcome!

GO LIONS!

May 14th, 2010, 6:26 pm
Profile WWW
Stadium Announcer

We are a small group at the moment but are growing.

Willy Trencher(Forum Name) is the Brains behind our setting up.The guy does some amazing work on our Newsletter, and has put together a great read that we are truly thankful for.The Fan Club is a slow burner but we are growing,a strong showing by the Lions this coming season will create interest for sure.

I'm a newcomer to the Lions cause and after the 0-16 season I jumped on the Bandwagon :shock: The rest of the Fan Club have been following them for different lenghts of time and have been tested over the years(you all know that feeling:wink: )...I'm really delighted to be part of the Fan Club and hopefully we will meet up at the Wembley Stadium game in London England come October.The Broncos V 49ers is the Match up that we are attending .

The Lions are a very Special team and with Coach Schwartz in place this team is going in the right direction,The team is adding some real quality football players and Lord knows the City of Detroit needs uplifting in these difficult times.

On a personel note, I really hope Tim Toone#83 makes this team as he is a Guy with a feel good factor attached and if he and Zack Follet team up...World watch out. :D

Thanks for all the replys Folks and look forward to posting and exchanging views and opinions with you.

IrishLion09

May 15th, 2010, 8:54 am
RIP Killer

Welcome our new friends from across the pond!

May 15th, 2010, 10:32 pm
All State

Welcome aboard! It's hard to imagine that people that weren't born into this team would chose to follow them now, but I appreciate your enthusiasm.

I can say to a certain degree that what made me a fan was Barry Sanders, but really it came earlier then that, and it's something with much more meaning then a single player could have ever been. I grew up in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, 2 and a half hours from Green Bay, and essentually a whole world away from Detroit. Most of my family always said that Green Bay was closer, and Detroit is a hell hole, why would they want to go there? So of out of my whole family, it was really my Grandpa, me, and two of my cousins who are Lions fans. The rest are ALL Packer fans. And I'll say of the last 2 that they really only were/are because of my Grandpa. Bless their hearts, but they're girls and they don't follow football quite the same way.

It was my Grandpa though, that converted me and kind of "stole me away" from the Packers and my Dad even. I remember having a Packer back pack when I was 6 or so, so my Dad certainly tried but it just didn't stick. I was Grandpa's boy (the oldest grandson and grandchild) and misery loves company I guess. I'll always remember that extra bond we had because of that. Someone else to share the punishment from a house full of Packer fans on holidays, and someone I could complain to when the game went to hell on a Sunday. My grandpa would more often then not storm out of the house when the Lions Fk'ed the game up and drag out of the lawn mower or find something else to do outside and away from the game. We lost him to cancer 4 years ago, and I can imagine that by now he's cultivated an entire RAIN FOREST in heaven with his frustration from the Lions since then.

So it's for him that I'm carrying a torch. He never got to see them go to a Super Bowl in his life, so I'm going to stick with them and hope that it happens mine. If it ever does, I'll be there, even if I have to sell my car to buy a ticket. I'll be wearing his jacket, sweatshirt, and hat to see it too.

R.I.P Ron Lantagne

May 16th, 2010, 2:51 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

No Joking, that almost pulled a tear. I'm kind of a big pussy when it comes to family stories however, so thats not really a suprise. Very cool story.

Mine in Short. Both sides of Family from Michigan. Kalamazoo, Portage, Vicksburg. (now they are all spread out, but still in MI). The only people outside of MI are Mom, Dad w/2nd Fam, Grandpa and Uncle[special needs] on Moms side - and they only came out to be close to my mom. Mom/Dad/Me moved to Cali when i was 6 months old, but I always was a Michiganite (as i called myself).

My Dad and Uncle both went to UM, and of course that was the college I always told myself I would go to. I Didn't. I may try to finish a degree there some day. Every year MI has been in the Rose Bowl since the early 80s, Ive been there. That texas game was the best game I have ever seen with my own 2 eyes, even though we fell to V Youngs 4 Running TDs, just like USC did in the title ga,e. Sadly, I have yet to see a game in the Big House, but I plan to within the next few years. Its expensive to live in So Cal... doesnt leave a lot of money for travel/etc. Once I live there, that will change.

The Lions and Wolverines have always connected me to my Family there( at least in my head), Even though 1 Cousin went to Eastern, 1 to GVS, and another became a spartan :/ . I just grew up Lions, Wolverines for Football. I would say I am a Wings fan, but I am not really a hockey fan. In person games are fun however, just dont follow the sport. Learned to like Basketball and Baseball later in life [Football,Soccer,Tennis from 4-14], so I ended up an Angels and Lakers fan. But I have never wavered from the Lions or the Wolverines. Desmond Howard was amazing. Barry was the best RB of all time, and it is a shame he retired early. I Bleed Maize & Blue, Honolulu Blue & Silver.

I also havent seen a Lions game, so that will be amazing. Only been to 1 NFL game, Raiders back in the Colliseum. So that will be another thing I look forward to investing in.

Anyways, enough rambling, welcome to everyone new to the board, and we hope you stay a long time. I lurked through 1 draft and the next entire year, before joining the next year, and its been awhile since then. But in general this is the best discussion board I have belonged too, for you know.. having discussions, with only minor issues like flaming. It is very well moderated, and many interesting ideas are discussed. So again, Welcome.

May 16th, 2010, 5:51 am
Profile ICQ WWW
NFL Team Captain

Spent the first part of my existence in Inkster, MI. Parents divorced when I was 9, we moved to Westland. It was around the age of 11 when I really started getting into sports and fell in love with the Lions.

Mom got remarried in 82 and we moved to TN in 83 (Nascar Country - Blah!). I followed the Lions as much as could, but it wasn't easy back then. I never got to see any games except for Thanksgiving and the occasional Televised game.

I loved the fact that I was the only Lions Fan I knew. I also loved Barry Sanders and I can remember the year I thought we might have a shot at the Super Bowl.

When the internet came about in the mid 90's, I could follow a little closer. Got into Fantasy Football back when we still had to call in our line ups and use the newspaper to tally the points. That's probaly when I really went from a fan to a Die Hard Fan when I started following stats.

With today's technology, I read just about every article on the Lions. I get the Sunday NFL Ticket every year (even though I threaten to cut it out because of price).

I love all things Lions except M!LLEN!

Welcome to the site - there are a lot of great people here!
GO LIONS! :arrow:

May 16th, 2010, 9:59 am
5th Round Pick - Traded

Welcome to the forum one and all. It's certainly interesting to find that there are fans, that aren't transplants, that are getting together and forming fan clubs abroad. Come in, sit down, have a drink (just stay away from the kool aide for a while) and enjoy!!

May 17th, 2010, 11:26 pm
Peanut and Beer Salesman

born into it. grew up in southfield, a suburb city to detroit. I started watching when billy sims was drafted and the usfl panthers being our only pro championship team..

May 19th, 2010, 7:43 pm
Pop Warner Vet

Haven't been here for a while, but I'm amazed to read that there are so many Lions fans in UK & Ireland. Do you have a website? I found only sites related to the "British & Irish Lions" which seems to be a rugby team.

By the way, I'm a German Lions fan and there are about 5 more at nfl-talk.net (the largest NFL forum in German language).

May 21st, 2010, 4:13 am
Reply to topic   [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next