View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 21st, 2014, 7:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Mike Williams ready for some football 
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Post Mike Williams ready for some football
Quote:
ALLEN PARK, Mich. - Mike Williams enjoyed draft weekend. He?s looking forward to next weekend even more.

advertisement

After more than a year away from football, the 10th overall pick of the NFL draft and newest member of the Detroit Lions is anxious to get back on the football field for the team?s spring minicamp.

?This kind of closes the door to a long year,? Williams said Sunday. ?This is the first step to getting back into football.?

Williams, who was forced to sit out last season after a failed attempt to get into the 2004 draft, was at Lions? headquarters along with Southern California teammate Shaun Cody, Detroit?s second-round pick.

?I consider myself to be a competitive person, and it was trying to not be able to do what you love,? Williams said. ?Loving football and being able to compete again is really special and really important to me. I?m excited to get back to work.?

As a sophomore in 2003, Williams was an All-American, finishing with 95 catches and 1,314 yards. After the season, he and Maurice Clarett tried to enter the draft, but were stopped by a last-minute court ruling.

?We?ve been watching Mike for two years and considering him as a Detroit Lion,? Lions coach Steve Mariucci said.

A year ago, after finding out he would be ineligible for the draft and unable to return to school, Williams headed for the Bahamas to avoid draft coverage, but changed his mind and came right back.

?I kind of wanted to be away from it,? he said. ?But I came back the same day, because I just wanted to find out where guys went. When you are in a bad mood, it doesn?t matter where you are at, you are still going to be in a bad mood.?

Williams will join Roy Williams and Charles Rogers, Detroit?s last two top picks, in what should be an explosive receiving corps.

?Roy and Charles are a good group, and my job is to come in here and just do my part,? he said. ?I?m a top-10 pick, and now I have to live up to that.?

Williams was also pleased to be reunited with Cody, his teammate on the 2003 national champions.

?Having Shaun here, even on the other side of the ball, will make the transition easier,? he said. ?I?m sure we?re going to share a lot of training camp stories and hazing stories.?

Mariucci said that Southern Cal?s back-to-back national titles played a role in drafting Williams and Cody.

?Both of these men played an integral part in the success of the USC team,? he said. ?Not only do these fellows know how to win, they know how to prepare to win. There?s a difference. They?ve been very well coached.

?Shaun Cody was the captain of the best team in the country. That says something about him.?

Cody, the Pac-10?s co-defensive player of the year, also has another connection to the Lions ? he attended the same California high school as Mariucci?s wife.

?I?d like to thank the coach?s wife for drafting me,? Cody said with a smile. ?I?m excited about getting to play with this defensive line ? guys like Big Daddy Wilkinson and big Shaun Rogers. I?m looking forward to contributing whatever I can to the group.?

Lions president Matt Millen expects both former Trojans to help the Lions immediately.

?They?ve got a lot of work ahead of them, but they?re going to fit in nicely,? he said. ?They come from a program that understands how to play at a high level. They see competition week in and week out, so the game won?t be too big for them.?

? 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

April 25th, 2005, 3:14 pm
Modmin Dude

I remember people last year hoping that he was going to be able to enter the supplimentaly draft and they were trying to see if we could swing getting Roy KJ and Mike all in the same year.......well, we came close. Good job Millen. Can't wait for the season to start Go Lions!!!

April 25th, 2005, 3:27 pm
RIP Killer

April 25th, 2005, 9:01 pm
Hall of Fame Player

April 26th, 2005, 5:46 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]