View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 24th, 2014, 5:32 pm

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Az & Marion RELEASED 
Site Admin

Post Az & Marion RELEASED
:shock:

Quote:
Lions | Hakim Released - from www.KFFL.com
Mon, 25 Apr 2005 13:33:11 -0700

WDFN Sports Radio 1130 AM in Detroit reports the Detroit Lions have released WR Az-Zahir Hakim.

Lions | Marion Released - from www.KFFL.com
Mon, 25 Apr 2005 13:32:54 -0700

WDFN Sports Radio 1130 AM in Detroit reports the Detroit Lions have released S Brock Marion

April 25th, 2005, 4:32 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

DETROIT LIONS RELEASE WR AZ-ZAHIR HAKIM AND S BROCK MARION; SIGN FREE AGENT DT BRANDON KENNEDY

(April 25, 2005) ALLEN PARK, Mich. -- The Detroit Lions announced today that they have released WR Az-Zahir Hakim and S Brock Marion. The team also announced that they have signed free agent DT Brandon Kennedy to a one-year deal. No additional contract terms were disclosed.

Hakim (5-10, 185) signed with the Lions March 7, 2002. He finished the 2004 season second on the team with 533 receiving yards despite missing four games due to injury. In 2003, Hakim returned from a hip injury suffered in 2002 and was the Lions' leading receiver in yards and touchdowns (449 yards; four touchdowns). He has 265 receptions for 3,555 yards and 26 touchdowns while playing in 92 games (37 starts) in seven NFL seasons. Hakim was originally drafted in the fourth round (96th overall) of the 1998 NFL Draft by the St. Louis Rams.

Marion (5-11, 200) joined the Lions prior to last season, signing with the team March 25, 2004. He finished second on the squad with 112 total tackles and three interceptions while starting all 16 games for Detroit in 2004. Before joining the Lions, Marion spent six seasons (1998-03) with the Miami Dolphins and was named to the AFC Pro Bowl squad three times (2000, 2002-03). Marion was originally selected in the seventh-round (196th overall) of the 1993 NFL Draft by the Dallas Cowboys, where he was a part of two Super Bowl Championship teams. He has 1,133 career tackles (774 solo) and has played in 182 games (154 starts) in 12 NFL seasons.

Kennedy (5-10, 350) comes to Detroit after originally signing with Denver as an undrafted rookie free agent following the 2004 NFL Draft. He spent the 2004 preseason with the Broncos before being released Sept. 1.

As a senior at North Texas in 2003, Kennedy was the Sun Belt Player of the Year and a unanimous first-team all-conference selection after leading the conference with 23 tackles for loss and finishing fifth with six sacks. He was named Defensive Player of the Year by the Dallas Morning News and was a first team all-state selection by the Associated Press after a standout senior season at Terrell High School in Dallas, Texas.

http://www.detroitlions.com/document_di ... _id=414995

April 25th, 2005, 4:40 pm
Profile WWW
Bubbles the Lion

April 25th, 2005, 5:03 pm
Profile YIM
Hall of Fame Player

I'm not surprised Az is gone but I didn't expect it till after 1/Jun. because of cap reasons. Same for Marion.

Where is M2K to do a cap analysis for us?

April 25th, 2005, 5:16 pm
Profile WWW
QB Coach

So Mooch completely believes in Holt... interesting.

He's getting his chance. toothy10.gif

April 25th, 2005, 5:31 pm
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Player

So Mooch completely believes in Holt... interesting.

He's getting his chance. toothy10.gif

I, for one, am happy about that. I've liked Holt for a while.

What do you think has changed his mind?

April 25th, 2005, 5:51 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

He probably realized that young, fast guys are the key to the future. Not old slow vets. Granted, I think Marion got shafted because Walker played like poop all last year, but that's the breaks.

They need to cut Walker too. If they cut him as well, I'll do a jig.

Rundown on the CAP savings:
1. Hakim's base: $2.35 mil, SB allocation $1.05 mil. 05 Cap number was $3.4 million. Cutting him saves the base, but moves the 06 allocation of $1.05 into 05, thus the 05 cap hit is $2.1 million instead of $3.4 million, for a savings of $1.3 million. ... or just take the $2.35 million base and subtract the $1.05 acceleration from 06 for a $1.3 million total.

2. Marions base is $1.35 million. He has 06 and 07 allocations of $375K and $375K (counting only the SB allocations). Subtract those two from the base and we get a savings of $600K.

Total savings from two cuts pre-June 1 for 2005 cap is $1.9 million.

April 25th, 2005, 6:16 pm
Cheerleader

I'm glad Az is gone, kinda surprised that Marion was released but it does free up some cap room which is always a good thing. Especially with the recent draft picks which I am psyched about!! :-)

April 25th, 2005, 7:18 pm
Hall of Fame Player

We will still need to find someone to back up Holt at Free Safety.

April 25th, 2005, 7:36 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

We will still need to find someone to back up Holt at Free Safety.

I may be in the minority here, but I think cutting Marion was a major mistake. He didn't save us that much toward the cap, and there is no real backup at the position. I think Marion was unfairly judged last year. Though it was easy to see he is no longer the impact player he once was, he could still have lent something toward this team. The Lions could have at least waited until they were able to find someone to really fill his roster spot.
I have been a fan of letting Holt get his shot as a starter. But I have always felt that it could have happened last year, when Mariucci chose to keep in an outclassed Bracy Walker rather than let Holt get some valuable experience and playing time, albeit at strong safety. I'm sure this was Matt Millens call, but I still think Mariucci messed up last year and now Millen has more than likely made a mistake here. I certainly hope they feel Vernon Fox or Kentrel Curry can replace Marion as the backup. I certainly don't see it. They haven't even signed an undrafted rookie free agent that is worth a crap.

April 25th, 2005, 8:03 pm
Stadium Announcer

WOOOOOHOOOOOOO........AZ IS HISTORY!!!!!!

And I am barely recovered from the weekend hangover. :twisted:

Also, see me @ http://www.phpbbforfree.com/forums/lionsworld.html

April 25th, 2005, 8:05 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Div 1 - Starter

I'm with Mike on this one. I am happy as pie to see Az march back down the yellow brick road, but Marion's release was premature. I am also very excited about Holt's potential (from what little we've seen of him). Once he learns to hold on to those balls that always hit him in the hands, I see a major playmaker at FS. However, for what amounts to relatively little savings, we have left ourselves very thin at FS and thin on experience in the middle secondary. He may be slow, but he is wise. I also thought he was a very decent tackler who was pressed into too much duty last season.

My favorite day ever as a Lions fan.

Somehow landing the Ndamo-nator would be the second best day ever.

April 25th, 2005, 8:22 pm
RIP Killer

Mike, you're not a minority on this one (we have 3 who agree so far!)

This is my comment on cutting Brock in another thread:
"I don't think Brock played that badly last year given the fact that both CBs were usually hurt (and the backups were always hurt, except Smith). Plus, Walker is TERRIBLE. Brock had to cover the entire field due to Walker's sorry rectum...It's mind boggling why they don't cut him. IMO, a rookie like Shazor or a real physical CB would be an upgrade over Walker at backup SS. Walker isn't even stellar on ST.

However, it must have been for the cap room. Without signing the draft picks, there's roughly $5.5-6 M to play with this year."

April 25th, 2005, 8:36 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Who is Holt's back up exactly? Cash, Lewis? Fox is a ST guy only I thought. Walker, I guess could play both spots. Millen again talked about being loaded at safety. I thought we only had three guys that have actually taken snaps on the roster? Was this the position relevant to the FA he wanted to sign before the draft?

April 25th, 2005, 8:42 pm
Div 1 - Starter

Didn't you hear, Yorick? The Lions made Marion expendable today with the mammoth signing of Chris Cox, S, from Ohio U!

No Worries! 8)

My favorite day ever as a Lions fan.

Somehow landing the Ndamo-nator would be the second best day ever.

April 25th, 2005, 8:47 pm
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next