View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 27th, 2014, 6:10 pm

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Free Safety's??? 
Bubbles the Lion

Post Free Safety's???
With the realeasing of Marion that leaves a hole as a backup or even a starter at free safety...i like Holt alot and i belive he got shafted last year but i think he should start and maybe we can look at Stanley Wilson at Free Saftey as well since we are so deep in the cornerback position...I hope Holt starts but i think that Wilson can help out as well... tell me what you guys think!! :)

April 25th, 2005, 10:52 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

The only reason I could see Detroit waiting to realse Marion after the draft is they now got a player in mind to replace him. The only current CB who might be big enough to move would be Keith Smith now that they got Wilson.

Thoughts? Ideas?

April 26th, 2005, 1:31 am
5th Round Pick - Traded

The only reason I could see Detroit waiting to realse Marion after the draft is they now got a player in mind to replace him. The only current CB who might be big enough to move would be Keith Smith now that they got Wilson.

Thoughts? Ideas?

Here we go....they'll need someone near or above 6 feet tall, over 200 pounds (preferred) and runs near a 4.5 40 yard dash. Here's my idea....BMW!! :o He fits all the criteria. :lol: :lol:

April 26th, 2005, 2:41 am
5th Round Pick - Traded

On a serious note. I don't know what they will do. I took a quick look at the roster and can't see who they would move. The only choice I could see is Smith because of his size. I would like to see a little more depth at safety before the start of the season though.

Does anyone have any info on Browner from Oregon State? I know he wasn't drafted but has anyone heard if he was picked up yet?

April 26th, 2005, 3:05 am
RIP Killer

Browner is a beast. I was hoping they'd pick him up in the 5th...6th...and again in the 6th. Nobody's signed him yet. I don't understand the knock on him. I know his speed isn't great...matter of fact it's kind of slow. But at FS, you can make up for somewhat slow speed by having great instincts. Keith Smith is too good of a CB (will eventually replace Bryant) to put at FS. They're grooming him to be the #2 man.

Info on BRANDON BROWNER:
Brandon Browner
Position: CB
School: Oregon St.
Ht., Wt.: 6-3.5, 215
40 Time: 4.69

BIO: Two-year starter and second team All-Conference choice as a sophomore last season after 44 tackles and 9 pass breakups. PAC-10 Freshman of the Year in 2003 after posting 43/6/6.

POSITIVES: Well-sized, shut-down cornerback with good upside for the next level. Solid backpedaling in reverse, flips his hips in transition and displays a burst of closing speed. Effective in man-to-man coverage and has opposing quarterbacks looking away from him. Reads the receivers. eyes, gets his head back around, and makes plays on the ball. Quickly plants, then breaks on the throw. Gets vertical and adjusts to knock away the pass. Effectively uses his large frame to box out opponents. Explosive run defender who flashes on the scene and looks to deliver the knockout throw. Defeats blocks on his way to the ballcarrier.

NEGATIVES: More of a long strider with built-up speed rather than a quick, sudden defender. Gets turned, not the most instinctive player, and at times does a lot of chasing. Marginally effective backed off the line of scrimmage. Often flagged for pass interference. Times poorly at the combine.

ANALYSIS: A defensive back with outstanding size and strength, Browner is perfectly suited to play press coverage at the next level and also has possibilities at safety. Possesses a lot of upside potential and has the skills to be a shut-down cornerback in the NFL, but far from the finished product -- needs time to develop his overall game and will only be effective in certain systems.

PROJECTION: Mid Third Round

April 26th, 2005, 7:43 am
RIP Killer

I have a feeling the Lions are going to wait and see who shakes loose with the June 1st cuts. The problem is there usually isn't quality players that come at that time. Marion was a June 1 cut last year. Chris Cash could be moved, since his knee is not the same and he has trouble breaking on the ball. They could put some weight on him. His height isn't ideal, but he plays bigger and he has excellent play recognition skills. Wilson isn't physical enough to play FS and neither is Kieth Smith. Wilson also has poor awareness and that is detrimental to a safety. Just ask Bracy Walker.

April 26th, 2005, 9:41 am
RIP Killer

April 26th, 2005, 3:09 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Browner was signed by Denver.

Bummer!

April 26th, 2005, 3:15 pm
Profile WWW
Varsity Captain

:arrow: I have to agree with Mike on Cash being the best in house option to back up Holt. Hopefully Cash comes back 2yrs removed from his injury with a little more bounce in his step.
:arrow:

April 26th, 2005, 7:40 pm
Profile YIM
5th Round Pick - Traded

Browner was signed by Denver.
:( :( :(

April 26th, 2005, 11:33 pm
Bubbles the Lion

Mooch has said in two different interviews that Wilson will be tried at FS. Its not a bad idea. He has to learn either position and we need depth at S so why not?

April 27th, 2005, 2:32 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Mooch has said in two different interviews that Wilson will be tried at FS. Its not a bad idea. He has to learn either position and we need depth at S so why not?

I agree it's not a bad idea for him to learn the FS position; but Wilson is listed as 5'11" - 185lbs. He'll be killed in practice and his mother will sue the team and end up owning it.

April 27th, 2005, 3:10 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

I agree it's not a bad idea for him to learn the FS position; but Wilson is listed as 5'11" - 185lbs. He'll be killed in practice and his mother will sue the team and end up owning it.

She's gotta have better luck getting the Lions to the SB than the Fords have!!

April 27th, 2005, 3:31 pm
RIP Killer

Personally I think having Wilson go to free safety is the only option. He has to be taught play recognition skills. He has tremendous speed to help cover deep, but wasn't all that physical at Stanford. He will need to add about 20-25 lbs of mean streak and muscle to succeed. If he does that, the Lions 3rd round pick won't have been a waste, like I have stated. However, that's a big if.

April 27th, 2005, 5:18 pm
Bubbles the Lion

Wilson has speed. You cant teach that, either you have it or you dont. You can tell him to cover_____ like a blanket and tell me what kind of gum he chews, until he learns the rest and can play full time.

Smith may be the only other option, if nobody shakes out June 1.

April 27th, 2005, 5:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next