View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 26th, 2014, 2:55 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Blades makes headlines - again 
Hall of Fame Player

Post Blades makes headlines - again
The Bennie Blades story

System punishes deadbeat dad -- kids suffer

April 26, 2005
BY MICHAEL ROSENBERG
FREE PRESS COLUMNIST

On Feb. 17, at the behest of the State of Michigan, police arrested a substitute teacher at Piper High School in Sunrise, Fla.

The substitute teacher spent a week in Broward County Jail in Florida. Then he was shipped off to Michigan -- almost two weeks on a bus, stopping only to eat fast-food or bologna sandwiches at jails along the way.

He was not allowed to bathe or brush his teeth. As the bus transported accused criminals throughout the Eastern states, he was forced to sit on the bus all day and night, which was extremely painful because the substitute teacher has chipped vertebrae in his neck, an injury he suffered when he played safety in the NFL.

"I'm like, 'This is very humiliating,' " recalled Bennie Blades, a Lions star in 1988-96. "You had to eat with your hands shackled basically down to your lap."

When he arrived in Michigan on March 8 -- 19 days after his arrest -- Blades was still wearing the same Old Navy blue jeans, printed blue shirt and white Pumas he was wearing when he was arrested.

Now Blades, who has been released on bail, faces two charges. The first is felony non-support for his daughter Ashley, who lives with her mother, Yolande Healey, in Southfield. At one point, Blades owed nearly $400,000 in child support for Ashley. She is one of his six kids with six women.

The other charge is for failing to appear at a Jan. 7 court hearing in the case.

Mix those ingredients together: Former NFL star. Nine million dollars in career earnings. Six kids with six women. Hundreds of thousands of dollars in child support.

And a state attorney general who has made deadbeat dads a top priority.

And one mother who wants Blades to pay up. ...

----------------------------->

This is nothing less than pathetic.

You would think that anyone with an ounce of brain matter would figure out, somewhere around illegitimate kid # 3, that they should begin to 'wrap that rascal'. Blades and Billy Simms together must have conspired to form their own NFL franchise, with their own kids.

Furthermore, Blades career earnings were more than $9 Million. How could he be so stupid as to squander all of that and have nothing left to show for it? I don't feel sorry at all for Blades - but I do feel sorry for his kids.

As good as he was on the field it's no excuse for this. He's an embarrassment to the Lions, the city of Detroit and all fathers; he sets a poor example for young men everywhere.

If there was a hall of fame for losers - he'd be in it.

April 26th, 2005, 7:10 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Let me get one more dig in here...I waited on the guy at Max & Ermas years ago...WORST TIPPER EVER!!!!

April 26th, 2005, 9:15 am
Profile WWW
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

April 26th, 2005, 9:43 am
Site Admin

Many people suggest that when you are put the test and pushed in life that at that point is where you can truly measure a persons character. Well I believe what a person tips is more accurate :lol: Cheap Tipper = Dead Beat Dad.

April 26th, 2005, 9:49 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

I don't agree with Blades and what he chose to do (take the risk of getting women pregnant) and what he chose not to do (pay court ordered child support). But I will say this; there is no way, now how, I don't care how much money a person makes, that ANYBODY should have to pay $400,000 in child support. It is an utterly ridiculous idea that a father/mother should have to pay that much with the idea that it will keep the child living in a certain lifestyle, when in fact the true recipient is the other parent, who often splurges that money on themselves rather than for the welfare of the child in question.

And gentlemen, let's not forget....women can practice birth control too. And they often choose to lie about it when they sleep with a man of wealth. That being said, it is exactly the reasons why a man of wealth should pay a few dollars at the drug store and carry the protection with him, or pay a few hundred dollars at the urologist and make it permanent.

April 26th, 2005, 12:24 pm
Hall of Fame Player

April 27th, 2005, 10:11 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]