View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 23rd, 2014, 12:21 am

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 LIONS UPDATED DEPTH CHART FOR 2005 
RIP Killer

Post LIONS UPDATED DEPTH CHART FOR 2005
LIONS UPDATED DEPTH CHART FOR 2005

QB- HARRINGTON, GARCIA, ORLOVSKY
RB- JONES, BRYSON, PINNER
FB- SCHLESINGER, SMITH
WR- C ROGERS, R WILLIAMS, M WILLIAMS, JOHNSON, DRUMMOND
TE- POLLARD, FITZSIMMONS, STEPHENS
LT- BACKUS, KOSIER
LG- DEMULLING, LOVERNE
C- RAIOLA
RG- WOODY
RT -BUTLER,V ROGERS

LE- REDDING, DEVRIES, SWANCUTT
LT-WILKINSON, CODY
RT- S ROGERS, BELL
RE- HALL, EDWARDS
SLB- BAILEY, D CURRY
MLB- HOLMES, RAINER
WLB- LEHMAN, DAVIS, LEWIS
RCB- BLY, SMITH, WILSON
LCB- BRYANT, GOODMAN
SS- KENNEDY, WALKER
FS- HOLT, FOX
K- HANSON
P- HARRIS
LS- LITTLETON

PRACTICE SQUAD-GODDARD, SHULL, K CURRY, B KENNEDY, BAGGS, C JOHNSON, BUBINS, VINES

CUTS- KIRCUS, MCCOY, J WHITE, BATTLE, GENORD, HERZING, MARTINEZ, MUHLBACH, ECHOLS, CASH, HOPSON

April 26th, 2005, 10:02 am
RIP Killer

THE LIONS ARE STILL LACKING A GOOD SPEED RUSHER FROM THE DEFENSIVE END POSITION OPPOSITE JAMES HALL. DO THEY FEEL EDWARDS IS BACK IN HIS ROOKIE FORM? ONLY TIME WILL TELL. THEY ALSO HAVE SERIOUS DEPTH ISSUES AT SAFETY, REGARDLESS OF WHAT MARIUCCI SAYS. WALKER IS A LIABILITY, HE IS NOT DEPTH. AND NOW THAT BROCK IS GONE, WHO'S THE BACKUP TO HOLT?

IN 2006, SHOULD THINGS NOT CHANGE (AND THEY PROBABLY WILL) THE LIONS WILL GO INTO FREE AGENCY LOOKING FOR A LEFT OFFENSIVE TACKLE, DEPTH AT DEFENSIVE END, A MIDDLE LINEBACKER, SAFETY DEPTH (AGAIN), TIGHT END DEPTH (AGAIN), DEPTH AT RUNNING BACK AND A THIRD STRING QB (AND MAYBE A STARTER IF HARRINGTON TANKS THIS SEASON-ORLOVSKY WON'T BE READY TO GO AND GARCIA CAN'T CARRY A TEAM AS THE STARTER ANY LONGER).

April 26th, 2005, 10:14 am
RIP Killer

Mike, I'll make things even easier for you:

http://www.lionbacker.com/?id=team&sub=depthchart

it's been updated with the rookies as well

I agree with your assesments.

April 26th, 2005, 10:19 am
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Player

I'm hoping this is a guess or a temporary slotting of what will happen. I think there's a few holes here and some things I'm not entirely comfortable with.

Examples.

1) I would expect Kosier to start a RT w/ Buttler and Rogers as back ups. In fact we will need 9 O-linemen on the active roster.

2) I hope Smith (or Trejo) is not the back up to Schlesinger - eventually (and sadly) we have to begin to groom Cory's replacement. Some say that could possibly be Bryson if he bulks up a fraction.

3) Using Cody only as a backup to Wilkenson would be under utilizing our 2nd and 4th round pick.

4) I'm confident we'll keep 6 CB's - so I don't see Cash getting cut. (At least not yet).

Where did this list come from?

April 26th, 2005, 11:56 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

It is a list I devised in my warped mind. The Lions typically keep only five corners on their roster. Cash wasn't the same player in 2004 that he was prior to his injury. I highly doubt he will return to form. Since Goodman signed his offer, that leaves Cash odd man out.

Kosier may start at RT, but he played LT for SF last year. I think the Lions will end up giving Butler his shot at starting, and keep Kosier as a swing man since he can play guard also. At the beginning of the season last year Mariucci elected to go with 5 receivers and 9 offensive linemen. He regretted that decision 3 plays into the season. I don't think Millen will allow him to make that mistake again. If the Lions keep 9 offensive linemen, they will then have to carry less somewhere else. They would probably drop a D lineman. I can't see them carrying 6 linebackers, especially with Boss' knee problems as well as Holmes' past knee problems. If they drop a D lineman I would expect it to be Swancutt or DeVries.

For some reason unbeknownst to most people, Mariucci thinks Paul Smith is a great football player. I can't explain it, but I think that's who makes the squad. Bryson will likely be kept as a third down back since the Lions are likely to use a FB less this year in their offensive sets.

April 26th, 2005, 12:08 pm
Hall of Fame Player

I'm glad you put this together because it has now got me thinking a lot about the depth chart. I'm sure there will be changes before the season begins but it's good to see where they might be headed.

You make a great argument for Kosier as the swing man behind Backus with Butler at RT. It will interesting to see how that develops. I am deeply concerned that the O-Line is very shallow - One starter turns an ankle and there is no reliable depth whatsoever. The chances of one high ankle sprain are about 100% and that ruins the ground game and puts the QB in jeopardy; so there really needs to be 9 players there. (They had 10 last year and 6 WR's). Mooch can carry another WR or 2 for depth on the practice squad if that makes him feel better. Scotty Vines showed a little bit of promise last year and NFL rules say he would have to clear waivers before he can go BACK onto the practice squad. I'm not sure they would take that chance with Vines but they might with Kircus. (Does anyone know if Kircus played in Europe this year)? I think Mooch will carry 6 WR's including Drummond; assuming he comes back.

They did carry 6 CB's last year (Echols was the 6th - but had none on the practice squad). I also know that NFL teams get to have more players on the practice squad if they're NFL Europe players. I can't remember the specific rules but I know that whenever possible they have tried to carry European League players.

Here's last years depth chart:

http://www.detroitlions.com/section_dis ... 21&level=2

It seems that our corners are always banged up so if I where coach I'd rather have more whenever possible.

When I look at your chart above I get very excited thinking that Holt finally gets his chance to start at FS, but I'm also nervous that Fox is his back up. So I guess the question is would you rather have Fox or Cash or someone else all together at that spot? A similar decision exists relative to Walker at SS.

We are VERY deep in our front 7 - I can't ever remember it being that solid. Throw in KK as the 8th man in the box and that is very exciting. I just hope that someone (Edwards, Redding, Cody or Swancutt) develops a pass rush opposite Hall. That is going to be a fun battle to watch.

Paul - Thanx for that depth chart link - that's awesome. Will you be keeping that up to date?

April 26th, 2005, 10:32 pm
Profile WWW
Pro Bowl Player

We are VERY deep in our front 7 - I can't ever remember it being that solid. Throw in KK as the 8th man in the box and that is very exciting. I just hope that someone (Edwards, Redding, Cody or Swancutt) develops a pass rush opposite Hall. That is going to be a fun battle to watch.

I agree new_microwave.gif

April 27th, 2005, 12:22 pm
Profile WWW
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Mike, Thanks for the list and your insight. I've missed your knowledge on the about.com site. Anyway, regarding free safety, have you heard if James Butler has been signed by anyone? He would be a great pickup to bring into camp and see if he can gain the # 2 freee safety spot.

Tim

April 27th, 2005, 3:38 pm
RIP Killer

Not to answer for Mike, but Butler's still available...but last time I said that, they were signed by another team within a few hours afterwards :x

April 27th, 2005, 4:41 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Thanks for the reply. I just hope you didn't jinx us from getting to pick him up now :x . Plus, that Fox character they picked up is only 5'10 and 185!? What is that??!! That is not a free safety! I mean if that was ideal size, then I would be all for moving Bly to safety since he has the best ball recognition skills of the whole secondary. A safety needs to be at least 6'0 and 200 pounds. Well, let's just hope Millen takes a flyer on Butler. Go Lions!

Tim

April 27th, 2005, 4:54 pm
RIP Killer

To M2K,
Mike, Thanks for the list and your insight. I've missed your knowledge on the about.com site. Anyway, regarding free safety, have you heard if James Butler has been signed by anyone? He would be a great pickup to bring into camp and see if he can gain the # 2 freee safety spot.

[quote="conversion02]Not to answer for Mike, but Butler's still available...but last time I said that, they were signed by another team within a few hours afterwards[/quote]

Tim, thanks for joining us here at Lionbacker. I appreciate your kind words and the fact that you enjoy my ramblings. C02, or Convo as some like to call him, has answered appropriately. To my knowledge James Butler has yet to be signed. Why he hasn't is beyond me. I'm sure there are teams calling him. Let's hope the Lions present him with the best opportunity to succeed. The best website I know of that keeps up with signing information is www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl. To this point, there is no word of him being signed.

April 27th, 2005, 5:14 pm
Bubbles the Lion

I, for one, am very excited to see Holt as the starting FS. He deserves this chance and I think he will do well. He subbed in at cornerback as a rookie and did pretty well for a guy out of postion. On the other hand, I am concerned about the depth at both Safety positions should a starter go down--as many of you seem to be. I almost wish we would have taken another safety, instead of looking for depth at CB, in the draft. Why the hell couldn't we pickup Shazor? He's right in our backyard!

April 27th, 2005, 9:14 pm
NFL Veteran

A couple things. I think we generally carry more offensive linemen, receivers and corners. Here's my numbers breakdown I came up with before the draft.

QB: 3
RB: 5
WR: 6
OL: 10
TE: 2

DL: 8
LB: 6
S: 4
CB: 6

LS: 1
K: 1
P: 1

Your depth chart has 52 players, leaving room for one more. Anyway, here's how I see the 53 man roster breaking down. Not too different.

QB: Joey Harrington; Jeff Garcia; Dan Orlovsky
HB: Kevin Jones; Artose Pinner; Sean Bryson
FB: Cory Schlesinger; Stephen Trejo; (Paul Smith)
WR: Charles Rogers; Roy Williams; Mike Williams; Kevin Johnson; Eddie Drummond; Vines or (Kirkus)
LT: Jeff Backus; Kossier
LG: Rick DeMulling; David Loverne
C: Dominic Raiola
RG: Damien Woody, Tyrone Hopson
RT: Kelly Butler; Victor Rogers

DE: James Hall; Cory Redding; Kalimba Edwards; Jared Devries: (Bill Swancutt)
DT: Shaun Rogers; Dan Wilkinson; Shaun Cody; Bell
WLB: Teddy Lehman; Alex Lewis
MLB: Earl Holmes; James Davis; (Wali Rainer)
SSLB: Boss Bailey; Goddard; (Donte Curry)
CB: Dre Bly; Fernando Bryant; Keith Smith; Andre Goodman; Chris Cash; Stanley Wilson
S: Kennoy Kennedy; Terrance Holt; Bracy Walker

LS: Littleton
PK/K: Jason Hanson
P: Nick Harris

About the parenthesis. I think a healthy Paul Smith beats out Stephen Trejo. The rest are bubble players fighting for the last roster spot. That last roster spot was made available by cutting Marion. I truly believe we will only carry 3 safeties, as we have in the past. I guess they've found it very important to load the cupboard with corners and receivers as well as offensive line. In our case we also have an abundance of lb's simply because of Millen's abiblity to find the late round gems: Davis, Lewis, Goddard.

April 27th, 2005, 10:55 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Last year at the beginning of the season the Lions started with only 51 players on their roster. They left room for having to sign someone in case another player got injured but didn't go on IR (Boss Bailey). They carried eight offensive linemen to start the season. (McD, Backus, Woody, Raiola, Loverne, Joyce, Rogers, Butler) Hopson was signed later on. Your chart shows nine O-linemen, not ten. We usually carry nine defensive linemen, not just eight. We had nine on the roster last year until Porcher retired. I feel the Lions should carry more receivers, but again, last year they started with only five. I thought it was a mistake and hope they alter that.

April 28th, 2005, 7:10 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Why do you guys have 'Tose in front of Bryson? Bryson is better and is used more than 'Tose is IMO.

April 28th, 2005, 7:54 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next