View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 1st, 2014, 10:33 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Great read! Luv it or hate it. 
Pop Warner Rookie

Post Great read! Luv it or hate it.
Got this off of another Lions fourm, I couldnt agree more. Column: Lions, Williams Will Get Last Laugh
By Nate Caminata Publisher
Date: Apr 26, 2005

?You must be joking.? That sentiment was shared this past weekend by two types of people after the Detroit Lions invested their 10th overall pick in receiver Mike Williams: NFL analysts who watched their mock drafts get butchered (see: Merrill Hodge) and, my personal favorite, NFL defensive coordinators.

?You must be joking.?

That sentiment was shared this past weekend by two types of people after the Detroit Lions invested their 10th overall pick in receiver Mike Williams: NFL analysts who watched their mock drafts get butchered (see: Merrill Hodge) and, my personal favorite, NFL defensive coordinators.

Fortunately, it really only matters what one of them thinks. Sorry, Hodgie, that isn?t you.

Matt Millen, after carefully considering his options for a better part of five (possibly six) seconds, choked on the words while calling in the pick.

?Mike.? ?Williams.?

At some point in between, he may have asked repeatedly if the former Trojan was really still available. Really, really? He was. The Vikings must have mistakenly said, ?Williamson? with the previous pick. The purple-clad organization blew it. Purple is a girlie color, anyway.

Despite being off the field for one-year, an agent handed Williams a Honolulu blue Lions? cap, lined with black piping. Meanwhile, brown bags (alcohol optional) were delivered to each defensive coordinator in the NFC North.

The only knock on Williams was his speed. For the record, that was also the knock on Emmitt Smith, Terrell Owens, Jerry Rice, Michael Irvin, Chris Carter ... point taken.

Mike Williams.

As in: torching USC receiving records in just two years (along with a U of M secondary)-Mike Williams. As in: do you remember that end zone grab-Mike Williams. As in: Charles Rogers-Roy Williams-Mike Williams.

Place your mouth within the brown bag, and breathe deep. Or drink.

However, in spite of the pick, criticism was apparent. Many analysts scoffed at the Lions selection, yacking about silly little things like ?needs? and roster ?holes.? How trivial.

Whether or not the Lions addressed ?needs? doesn?t really matter. Really, really. You can scan Detroit?s entire roster and, depending on the thickness of tunnel vision, find relatively few holes. Free-safety? Plug in Terrence Holt, he?s earned it anyway. Plus, his time spent monitoring Brock Marion has given him plenty of chances to see what not to do. Defensive end? A combination of the other picks and Cory Redding and Jared DeVries will suffice.

But enough of that nonsense. We need to spend more time basking in the Honolulu-glow of our new Lion, and forfeit valuable time in our lives by forecasting in-season scenarios.

I?ll go first.

In the huddle somewhere in Detroit ?

Joey: Zebra Gap, X72, Blue-Niner on ?

MW: That?s to me, right?

Joey: Not unless ?

RW: Remember the Washington catch, Joey? Let?s repeat history ?

MW: Apparently you didn?t watch me play Michigan. Joey, do the smart thing. I?ll be in the end zone waiting.

Joey: Don?t worry who ?

CR: You two bottom feeders weren?t even drafted in the top 5. Joey, I?ll be open. And remember, we have history?

MP: If you throw to Charles, try to keep it high ?

Joey: It isn?t even a ?

WHISTLE.

KJ: It was a running play, stupids.

Regardless of what transpires during the course of the season, it is painfully obvious that fourth-year quarterback Joey Harrington?s excuse tank isn?t only empty, it was taken away. Production (and a lot of it) is expected. And it isn?t as though Harrington?s previous excuses weren?t valid. They were, whether you want to admit it or not. But with this line-up, a grade-school backup quarterback could be successful.

Maybe even Ryan Leaf.

The Lions took a Barry Bonds-esque shot of performance enhancement to their offense on Saturday. They didn?t need a wide receiver on Saturday, but they took the only player available that can have an immediate impact on Sundays .

The match up problems that Detroit can cause offensively with this unfairly strong of a line-up parallels any potent offense that the NFL has ever witnessed. Ever. And it isn?t as though a defensive coordinator can mastermind a game plan. They can only hope that it takes a while before the Lions gel. Hope, along with their pre-game prayer.

And the analysts didn't like this pick? Why, because their silly, stupid, assanine, pathetic little mock drafts weren't fulfilled? Shut up. Just shut up, Merrill Hodge, you weren't even that good of a football player -- let alone an analyst. And Pete Prisco? There's a reason no one visits CBS SportsLine, thanks for reminding us why.

Mike Williams. And in the words of Matt Millen during a post-draft press conference, "take THAT."

You can take the brown bags off your heads, Detroit faithful. They will soon serve a more useful purpose -- Green Bay is coming to town September 11th. What do you guys think? :arrow: :arrow:

April 26th, 2005, 6:46 pm
Stadium Announcer

April 26th, 2005, 11:50 pm
RIP Killer

That was a really good read. I like his jabs at Merrill Hodge. I think that guy is a pompous rectum. He thinks he knows everything, and continues to show he knows nothing. What a tool?

Thanks for bringing that to us, buddha.

April 27th, 2005, 9:12 am
RIP Killer

Did anyone notice how Hodge mispronounced like a half dozen names on draft day? The first one I noticed was when he called Mark Clayton, Michael Clayton.

April 27th, 2005, 9:14 am
Pro Bowl Player

That was a really good read. I like his jabs at Merrill Hodge. I think that guy is a pompous rectum. He thinks he knows everything, and continues to show he knows nothing. What a tool?

:D Merrill Hodge is :retard:

I was :shock: by the williams thing but [-o<

new_xmas.gif christmas came early for harrington

as for Millen and Mariucci iamwithstupid.gif Love it 8)

April 27th, 2005, 11:18 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]