View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 22nd, 2014, 4:25 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 New Lions receiver Williams gets wisdom from Coach Carter 
Modmin Dude

Post New Lions receiver Williams gets wisdom from Coach Carter
http://www.freep.com/sports/lions/lions28e_20050428.htm

Quote:
"I don't care how many receivers are drafted," Carter says. "There's no rookie receivers working like this today. Yeah, there might be a Torry Holt working like this today. Yeah, there might be a Marvin Harrison, guys like that, because they know. But those young guys, they don't know this."
Quote:
"I just want him to get a feel," Carter says. "I don't want him to run off the paper. The coach says, 'OK, this route, you run seven steps, you plant, you turn out.' I want him to be able to close his eyes and feel his body. His body will know what eight yards is. His body will know what 12 yards is. His body will know after you cross over the numbers, you've got five strides and you better get ready."
Quote:
Catch it!" Carter yells.

Williams snags it.

"Joey Harrington ain't going to throw you a spiral every time!" Carter yells. "I guarantee you that!"

"Come on, man," Williams says.

Williams tells him Minnesota's Daunte Culpepper wouldn't throw him a spiral every time, either.

"You got the right attitude," Carter says, smiling. "Stand up for your quarterback."
Quote:
"So I think we all are going to get together with different motivations, and we all will come to a point where we're like what Cris is talking about, where we're just going to be competing and we're going to probably develop some kind of swagger to where we're just like, 'You know what? Every Sunday, we're going to come out and rip it,' " Williams says.

"It looks good on paper, but we've got to get together. We've got to work."

Here, in the sun, the work has already begun.

I really like this kid :D I can't wait for the season to start :arrow:

April 28th, 2005, 10:39 am
RIP Killer

After a year off and working with Chris Carter for a while now, it will be interesting to see if BMW comes in much more polished than most rookie WRs.

April 28th, 2005, 10:49 am
Profile WWW
Pro Bowl Player

Carter isn't getting paid. He's paying it forward

I was wondering if he was getting paid. WOW. Carter did the same thing for Moss and look at how well he did..

April 28th, 2005, 12:03 pm
Profile WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I just finished reading the article. That camp should be mandatory for all Lions recievers. I like that Williams is such a hard worker, and stood up for Joey even though they have never played together.

April 28th, 2005, 3:03 pm
Profile WWW
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Great article! I had read it earlier today. It makes me wonder why no one has tried to offer Carter a position coaching wide receivers. But I think that this will have Mike Williams in tremendous shape by the time training camp rolls around. That should be good because usually the 1st few weeks of camp guys are just trying to get their endurance and he will be ahead of the curve and can concentrate on getting in a groove w/ our offense and especially Joey. I'm really loving our chances this year!

Tim

April 28th, 2005, 4:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]