View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 20th, 2014, 4:51 am

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 Williams connects with kids 
Modmin Dude

Post Williams connects with kids
http://www.freep.com/sports/lions/lions-bar128e_20050428.htm

Quote:
"I was like, 'This ain't for me. This isn't what I want to be about,' " said Williams, who was raised by his great-aunt in a tough part of Tampa and later taken in by another family. "I just played sports to try to get away from my neighborhood. ... I always looked at it like, if I made it, I could take care of my family. Plus, it's fun."

He also pointed out that despite his background and the millions of dollars headed his way, he wasn't wearing diamond earrings or anything. His watch was from Fossil. It cost $40.

"That's just me," he said.
Quote:
As for the youth football team, Williams is the defensive coordinator for 9- and 10-year-olds who play out of a YMCA. They're 4-0 and have allowed only 14 points this season.

"They all look up to him," said Wayne Lawton, one of Williams' best friends and a fellow coach. "He works hard with them, teaching them little stuff that's going to help them out at the next level."

The kids picked the team nickname, and it's "Hammerheads" -- for now.

Tony Fleming, Williams' agent, said: "They're going to change it to the Lions."

Have I told you lately that I really like this kid. I am SO glad that we drafted him. headbang.gif

April 28th, 2005, 10:46 am
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]