View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 20th, 2014, 12:33 am

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 The Williams Effect 
ST Coordinator – John Bonamego

Post The Williams Effect
For better or worse, Big Mike Williams will be wearing Honolulu and Blue. The critical question is, how will his presence change our offensive philosophy. Before the draft revamping the playbook was all the rage. Millen has repeatedly referred to playing to Harrington's strengths (is that an oxymoron?).

Looking back at last year, we saw a lot of mixed signals. Roy Williams can be a superstar, but he had many rookie lapses that one cannot excuse simply to injuries. Kevin Jones finally learned how to run in the NFL beyond a below average line, but their protection and production in the running game left a lot to be desired. Harrington was brilliant in some contests like the Giants' game and atrocious in others like the Dallas and Green Bay match ups.

What will be the Williams effect? It is rare for rookie receiver to come in and have big seasons. What will Williams be able to contribute to the Lions? The knocks on him are not just his lack of speed, but his lack of discipline. How will that mesh with the complex routes of the WCO? Williams was a great red zone threat in college. Will he be able to continue that at the next level? How can the Lions best use Williams? Will he start right away? How much will he play?

April 28th, 2005, 8:23 pm
RIP Killer

He'll see the field a lot IMO. Initially, I'm sure we'll see much more of Roy and CRog, with BMW being more of a 3rd down and red zone threat. I think BMW will have a big year, for how much he'll play. I"m going to say somewhere around 62 catches for about 780 yards with 9 TDs. I'd say that's a huge year for a rookie "#3" receiver. I'm sure once Mooch sees that BMW is a superstud in the making, a 3 WR set will become somewhat standard...or so I hope.

April 28th, 2005, 8:33 pm

If Charles Rogers is healthy all year I see his numbers being more like 55 catches, 560 yards, and 12 TDs, but you definitely look to be in the ball park. He should be facing single coverage against the nickel linebacker and corner. He could not have landed in a more ideal situation.

April 28th, 2005, 8:44 pm
Site Admin

Hopefully he faces ernest shazor in arizona and he can school him once again :lol:

April 28th, 2005, 8:51 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

I believe that the Williams effect is going to signal whether it is Mariucci's time that is continued or finished in Motown more so than Joey's. With three top ten receivers chosen consecutively, Mariucci will be under pressure to develop an offensive game plan that works. If he doesn't, I think the Lions (ie. Matt Millen) will be shopping fpr a new head coach.

With five first round picks as our starting skill players on offense, this team had better score a boat load of points.

April 28th, 2005, 9:48 pm
NFL Veteran

I would lobby for Norm Chow's first head coaching job to be in Detroit if that were the case. But seriously, you have to be a really bad coach if you can't produce an offense with these players.

April 28th, 2005, 11:40 pm
Profile WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

But seriously, you have to be a really bad coach if you can't produce an offense with these players.

Or a coach married to a system wheter or not it works with his team or not. Hopefully, he will improvise and be more pragmatic than he has been.

April 29th, 2005, 7:58 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

What will be the Williams effect? It is rare for rookie receiver to come in and have big seasons. What will Williams be able to contribute to the Lions? The knocks on him are not just his lack of speed, but his lack of discipline. How will that mesh with the complex routes of the WCO? Williams was a great red zone threat in college. Will he be able to continue that at the next level? How can the Lions best use Williams? Will he start right away? How much will he play?

The notion that WRs don't fare well in their rookie season is starting to pass. Moss started turning this way of thinking on its head. Anquan B. also pushed the envelope as a rookie. Then think of last year, Roy was having a huge impact until the ankle injury. Michael Clayton and Lee Evens also had strong rookie campaigns, just to name a few.

In addition, Williams is not your normal rookie. He has had over a year now to prepare for the pros (working with Chris Carter, etc.), not something most rooks ever get a chance to do. And how many rookies come into the league with two WR bookends like CRog and ROY on the field?

I think the Lions will start BMW right away and use him in the slot. He will play 60-70% of the offensive plays (more if their is an injury to either of the other two). At nearly 6'5" and pretty much no chance to double team him, with all the other weapons, he will be a major red zone threat being coved by 5'9" CBs.

April 29th, 2005, 9:14 am
Profile WWW
Red Shirt Freshman

I believe the 3 WR's and Joey need to work on there own in between the mini camps. Drew Brees did it with his WR's and Peyton Manning does it also. (I think) I do know the Payton and his boys do a lot of practicing early on game days. That way they are already in sinc before the game! Joey needs to get the timing down with a 3 guys to be super effective!!

:wink: :wink: :wink:

April 29th, 2005, 9:32 am
Junior Varsity

Millen said, on a radio show recently, that we will see a lot of 3 receiver sets this year, especially later, once BMW has gained experience. His effect can be measured in more ways than his individual numbers. Just forcing defenses to account for him on the field should give KJ more running room. The need to cover CRog, Roy, BMW and Pollard will force teams to utilize a lot more zone coverage, opening things up for the running game. Even if BMW finished up with 35 catches for 450 yards and 4 TD's, but KJ gets about 1,600 yards, his effect has been tremendous.

April 29th, 2005, 9:43 am
RIP Killer

Millen said, on a radio show recently, that we will see a lot of 3 receiver sets this year, especially later, once BMW has gained experience. His effect can be measured in more ways than his individual numbers. Just forcing defenses to account for him on the field should give KJ more running room. The need to cover CRog, Roy, BMW and Pollard will force teams to utilize a lot more zone coverage, opening things up for the running game. Even if BMW finished up with 35 catches for 450 yards and 4 TD's, but KJ gets about 1,600 yards, his effect has been tremendous.

Good points N8. Some other aspect that the effect BMW will have that's been missed is the fact that his presence in the slot will force opposing teams to put in a nickel back in place of a linebacker or D-lineman. Since BMW stands 6'5" and runs about 235 lbs and the typical nickel cover guy runs about 5'9" and 180 lbs, he should be a better blocking matchup than a lineman against a lineman or a full back against a linebacker.

Were I Mariucci, the first thing I would have Mike working on would be downfield blocking. He was a solid blocker at USC, but I would seek to make him one of the most devastating downfield blockers in the history of the game. He can already catch the ball, so this would improve his worth ten fold. Many times last year that's all it would have taken was a good downfield block to spring KJ loose, rather than have him get only 6 or 8 yards. With our three receiver sets spreading the defense, and with the size of our receivers blocking against much smaller corners, Jones could have a tremendous season. The best part of all this is, if they start the season with BMW putting the smack down on opposing corners, those same corners will keep their distance during coverage and in effect give him more than enough cushion to be open all day long.

Things could be VERY interesting this year on the offense.

April 29th, 2005, 10:19 am
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Great observations from evryone. But I think the most important aspect everyone seems to be overlooking is how our offense line is going to mesh this year. We still have to see how Butler is going to play at RT and How Demulling is going to mesh w/ our line as well as he did w/ his linemates in Indy. I personally think he is an average lineman but came out looking really good because of Manning and the offense in Indy.

Now, Woody and Backus are the two constants on the line and our biggest assets. I have no worries about their abilities. But I do hope that Raiola can keep up the great play he showed at the end of last season. I'm worried that he just started to play better knowing it was a contract year. We shall see.

Sorry to go off on a rant about our line on a Williams post, but I just had it on my mind.

Your opinions.

Tim

April 29th, 2005, 1:37 pm
Pro Bowl Player

In addition, Williams is not your normal rookie. He has had over a year now to prepare for the pros (working with Chris Carter, etc.), not something most rooks ever get a chance to do. And how many rookies come into the league with two WR bookends like CRog and ROY on the field?

I think the Lions will start BMW right away and use him in the slot. He will play 60-70% of the offensive plays (more if their is an injury to either of the other two). At nearly 6'5" and pretty much no chance to double team him, with all the other weapons, he will be a major red zone threat being coved by 5'9" CBs.

I think Carter taking him under his wing and giving him REAL NFL knowledge is huge.. Bigger than most people think if BMW realizes the truth that Carters giving to him.

I also agree that he will start right away... I think the trio are a perfect compliment to one another... (and the three best in the last three years) and because of that fact alone they all thrive this year. KJ1 KJ2 and Pollard just add to the threat.

Joey Harrington should get 800 yards a game IMO.... :D

April 29th, 2005, 2:34 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Great observations from evryone. But I think the most important aspect everyone seems to be overlooking is how our offense line is going to mesh this year. We still have to see how Butler is going to play at RT and How Demulling is going to mesh w/ our line as well as he did w/ his linemates in Indy. I personally think he is an average lineman but came out looking really good because of Manning and the offense in Indy.

Now, Woody and Backus are the two constants on the line and our biggest assets. I have no worries about their abilities. But I do hope that Raiola can keep up the great play he showed at the end of last season. I'm worried that he just started to play better knowing it was a contract year. We shall see.

I don't know that the O-line is being overlooked as much as they just aren't on the forefront of everyone's mind. However, you bring up a solid point in that without the line working well together we could see the same problems the Lions were experiencing last year at the beginning of the season. I think Demulling is probably a significant upgrade over Loverne, but maybe not quite as good as what some people think due to the reasons you've cited. Raiola was having problems last year because of bad technique. Pat Morris worked with him and the results were what we saw. He may have been more motivated by the contract year, but I don't think he intentionally did poorly at the onset of 2004. I think the interior of our line is our strong point. I worry about the tackles. Backus is steady but not remarkable. His run blocking leaves much to be desired. Since Kelly Butler played at Purdue in a passing oriented offense, I have to worry about his ability to get push in the running game as well. I wasn't a big fan of Stockars, but he did run block pretty well most of the time.

April 29th, 2005, 3:00 pm

I think DeMulling might be a significant improvement as a pass blocker. He would not have to be more than average to be a "significant" upgrade. Last year the left side was a mess with Backus' injury problems and Raiola's inconsistency. Even with these receivers Harrington will need some time. Maybe the right tackle will be the question spot?

April 29th, 2005, 11:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next