View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 21st, 2014, 6:18 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Mini-camp opens today 
RIP Killer

Post Mini-camp opens today
The Lions' six new rookies join 80 guys at the Lions three day minicamp opening today. Also slated to join in the action are Charles Rogers and Boss Bailey.

I expect the team to start experimenting with moving some guys around, Lehman in the middle, Redding and Cody at both DE and DT, etc...

Mooch wrote:
We're going to be moving guys around. Let guys train at a couple of spots.

I've heard Drummond is attending minicamp as well but will be kept out of contact drills. I've still not seen anything indicating that he has signed with the team.

We are now less than 3 months away from the start of training camp (7/28). ARE YOU READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL?

April 29th, 2005, 9:26 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

I'm reading that Lehman is going to be working out at both strong side and middle linebacker as the backup to Boss and Earl. What is that all about? Lehman should be considered a starter on the weakside. I can understand wanting him to get reps at other spots, but put your best out on the field. Ted would have to be included in that group.

Shawn Bryson will get snaps at both running back and fullback in training camp. Hopefully the Lions can go into the season with a bunch of versatility in the backfield. It would be cool to see Bryson and Jones lining up in the backfield with BMW, CRog and Roy on the outside. I mean, who the Hell do you cover?

April 29th, 2005, 3:04 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

I'm reading that Lehman is going to be working out at both strong side and middle linebacker as the backup to Boss and Earl. What is that all about? Lehman should be considered a starter on the weakside. I can understand wanting him to get reps at other spots, but put your best out on the field. Ted would have to be included in that group.

I think that it is good that Lehman will be getting reps at MLB, because if he shows enough maybe we can use him to eventually replace Holmes at that position. I am confused as to the Mariucci comment. Is he saying that Lehman is just learning all positions and will still be the starting weakside backer, or is someone elso going to be filling that starting position? I would disagree w/ that because Lehman, although a rookie, was one of our most consistent players on defense. Does anyone have any insight as to who may be starting weakside over Lehman??

Tim

April 29th, 2005, 3:41 pm
RIP Killer

My understanding is that James Davis is going into the mini-camp as the starting weakside backer. Holmes is the starter in the middle and Bailey is the starting SAM. From various comments made by Mooch and Millen, this is what I am concluding. They have also mentioned that some of the corners will get work at the safety position.

I agree that Lehman should be the starting WILL backer, and that's what I was alluding to in my previous post. Having him assume a backup role at two positions in camp is foolish.

April 29th, 2005, 4:35 pm
RIP Killer

I think that it is good that Lehman will be getting reps at MLB, because if he shows enough maybe we can use him to eventually replace Holmes at that position. I am confused as to the Mariucci comment. Is he saying that Lehman is just learning all positions and will still be the starting weakside backer, or is someone elso going to be filling that starting position? I would disagree w/ that because Lehman, although a rookie, was one of our most consistent players on defense. Does anyone have any insight as to who may be starting weakside over Lehman??

In an article I read, Mooch said that Lehman would back up Bailey and Dirty Davis would be starting on the weak side. I'll try to scrounge that up, but I think it was on Detnews.com or on the Lions website.

April 29th, 2005, 4:36 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

I like James Davis, but for Mariucci to automatically name him the starter before training camp after the season that Lehman had is plain foolish. If anything, it should be an open competition and may the best man win. I believe that Lehman's pure football instincts should capture him the spot over Davis, even though Davis is the faster player. But with Boss returning to the lineup we have plenty of speed on the edges with Kennedy also helping run support. I'm just hoping Lehman doesn't get shafted before showing his prowess in camp.

Tim

April 29th, 2005, 5:26 pm
RIP Killer

I like James Davis, but for Mariucci to automatically name him the starter before training camp after the season that Lehman had is plain foolish. If anything, it should be an open competition and may the best man win. I believe that Lehman's pure football instincts should capture him the spot over Davis, even though Davis is the faster player. But with Boss returning to the lineup we have plenty of speed on the edges with Kennedy also helping run support. I'm just hoping Lehman doesn't get shafted before showing his prowess in camp.

By naming Davis as the starter, what Mariucci has done is guarantee that Davis sees the majority of snaps at the weakside. By playing the backup, Lehman will see less snaps. It could be that Mariucci is trying to motivate Lehman to excel with what reps he's given. Or, he could be wanting to take a good look at Davis and already knows what he can expect from Lehman. Also, I don't think Davis is faster than Lehman. I think Lehman has the edge there.

April 29th, 2005, 6:22 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Lehman will be shifted to the middle probably. He is backing up Bailey because he can only practice once a day.

April 29th, 2005, 11:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]