View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 2nd, 2014, 1:07 am

Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Best Wideout in three years? 
Pro Bowl Player

Post Best Wideout in three years?

2. Charles Rogers
3. Andre Johnson

3. Larry Fitzgerald
7. Roy Williams
9. Reggie Williams

3. Braylon Edwards
7. Troy Williamson
10. Mike Williams

Out of these three crops of top 10 picks list in order of 1 through 8 of who you THINK will have the best NFL careers (try not to be too biased)
:wink:

April 30th, 2005, 2:11 pm
Profile WWW
Pro Bowl Player

1.) Larry Fitzgerald
2.) Roy WIlliams
3.) Andre Johnson
4.) Charles Rogers
5.) Mike Williams
6.) Braylon Edwards
7.) Reggie Williams
8.) Troy Williamson

notworthy.gif 3 in the top 5 (no bias at all) laughing7.gif hello2.gif

April 30th, 2005, 2:18 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

I'm gonna say Roy Williams. Roy will be in a, hypothetically, stacked offense. He'll have a decent QB throwing him the ball, and he's got unlimited potential. Braylon Edwards would be a top choice also, but with unknown QBs throwing him the ball, and an atrocious OL, that deminishes his stellar career IMO. Roy has the best chance of all to be the #1 WR of all listed. CRog is starting fresh, and an injured, rookie Roy put up good numbers.

April 30th, 2005, 2:23 pm
Bubbles the Lion

2) L. Fitzgearld
3) B. Edwards
4) M. Williams
5) A. Johnson
6) C. Rogers
7) Reggie Willams
8) T. Wiliamson

I think the first 4 are in a different tier than the second 4. CRog could move up depending on injuries. M. Willams could move down, depending on how he is used.

April 30th, 2005, 6:50 pm
Water Boy

2. Braylon Edwards
3. Andre Johnson
4. Troy Williamson
5. Larry Fitzgerald
6. Mike Williams
7. Charles Rogers
8. Reggie Williams

April 30th, 2005, 8:38 pm
Water Boy

sorry i dont know how to make the picture smaller

April 30th, 2005, 8:42 pm
League MVP

2. Andre Johnson
3. Larry Fitzgerald
4. Charles Rogers
5. Mike Williams
6. Troy Williamson
7. Braylon Edwards
8. Reggiw Williams

April 30th, 2005, 10:48 pm
Pro Bowl Player

Consider the intangibles ( combine numbers )

Troy Williamson ran 4.32 with a 37 vertical ( 6 foot 1 203 )

Charles Rogers ran 4.37 with a 38.5 vertical ( 6 foot 3 205 )

Andre Johnnson ran 4.43 with a 39 vertical (6 foot 2 230 )

Braylon Edwards ran 4.45 with a 37.5 vertical ( 6 foot 3 211 )

Roy Williams ran 4.48 with a 37.5 vertical ( 6 foot 3 213 )

Reggie Williams ran 4.56 with 37.5 vertical ( 6 foot 3 223 )

Mike Williams ran 4.56 with 37 vertical ( 6 foot 5 229 )

Larry Fitzgerald ran 4.63 with 35.5 vertical ( 6 foot 3 223 )

Fastest: Troy Williamson , Charles Rogers

Biggest: Mike Williams , (T) Larry Fitzgerald & Reggie Williams

Most Freakish: Andre Johnson his size, speed, and vertical stand out!
Charles Rogers is not far behind ( minus the size )

Those who question Mike Williams size and speed should note:
Larry Fitzgerald is Smaller and Slower and has been productive
last season he had 58 receptions for 780 yards and 8 touchdowns

=D> =D> notworthy.gif

May 1st, 2005, 8:28 am
Profile WWW
Junior Varsity

Why?

Quote:

That statement alone proves that the "intangibles" you asked us to consider don't mean squat. Every one of these guys were high draft picks because of their football talent, not those "intangibles".

Ferris is posing another question of opinion without specifying what constitutes "the best NFL career". Lynn Swann is considered to have a tremendous NFL career, yet his stats are what most would consider to be average at best.
8 yeaer career record: 336 receptions, 5,462 yards, 51 touchdowns.

Comparably, Muhsin Muhammed, in 10 years has 578 receptions, 7,751 yards, and 44 touchdowns. I'm sure that everyone would agree that Muhammed is not of HOF caliber, yet his numbers compare to those of a HOF wideout.

So, what constitites a good NFL career, personal accolades or contribution to a team?

May 1st, 2005, 12:31 pm
Pro Bowl Player

Quote:

Why?

Quote:

That statement alone proves that the "intangibles" you asked us to consider don't mean squat. Every one of these guys were high draft picks because of their football talent, not those "intangibles".

Ferris is posing another question of opinion without specifying what constitutes "the best NFL career". Lynn Swann is considered to have a tremendous NFL career, yet his stats are what most would consider to be average at best.
8 yeaer career record: 336 receptions, 5,462 yards, 51 touchdowns.

Comparably, Muhsin Muhammed, in 10 years has 578 receptions, 7,751 yards, and 44 touchdowns. I'm sure that everyone would agree that Muhammed is not of HOF caliber, yet his numbers compare to those of a HOF wideout.

So, what constitites a good NFL career, personal accolades or contribution to a team?

------------------- iamwithstupid.gif
n8... Firstly, I more or less put those up there so everyone at a glance could compare the 8 receivers size and speed... I find it interesting and was sharing the info...

Secondly, Im quite sure those intangibles did play into their high draft picks, NFL teams and scouts put everything into a formula to decide talented players who should have good careers, to protect themselves against "busts"

Third... I started the post , if you bothered to read the thread at all i capped "THINK" in the question who do you THINK will have the best NFL career out of those 8 receivers

Fourth....I didnt ask anything about Lynn swann or Muhsin "gone to chicago to ruin my career" Muhhamad.. You kinda jumped in here and missed the purpose of the thread.. . I did ask for peoples OPINION, question of opinion, or other, thats kinda the purpose for a forum :roll:

And finally you asked what constistutes a good NFL career: that s all in each individuals opinion to rate the 8 recevers picked in the top 10 in the past three years.... again read the thread
downtown.gif newbie.gif

May 1st, 2005, 10:19 pm
Profile WWW
QB Coach

I don't think that you can reasonably state that Swann had a "Tremendous NFL Career"

May 1st, 2005, 11:29 pm
Profile WWW
Junior Varsity

Sounds like I hit a nerve...I wasn't bashing your post, however...

Quote:
n8... Firstly, I more or less put those up there so everyone at a glance could compare the 8 receivers size and speed... I find it interesting and was sharing the info...

It sounded to me as of you wanted those "intangibles" to be considered as criteria for potential NFL career. My point was that, and you helped make it with your statement re: Fitz' production despite his "intangibles, one's 40 time need not be considered when anticipating his production.

Quote:
Secondly, Im quite sure those intangibles did play into their high draft picks, NFL teams and scouts put everything into a formula to decide talented players who should have good careers, to protect themselves against "busts"

I'll give you that. Although I don't believe one will have a better career than another because of a vertical or 40 time, I'm sure that Minn. drafted Williamson over Williams, in part, because he's faster.

Quote:
Third... I started the post , if you bothered to read the thread at all i capped "THINK" in the question who do you THINK will have the best NFL career out of those 8 receivers

This is where you start to get a little more defensive. I did read your post and I realize that you included the word THINK in capital letters. If you read my post rather than just copying and pasting it in your response, you would have noticed that I stated you are asking for opinions. Without reading your post and, specifically, the word THINK, I wouldn't have known you were looking for opinions.

Quote:
Fourth....I didnt ask anything about Lynn swann or Muhsin "gone to chicago to ruin my career" Muhhamad.. You kinda jumped in here and missed the purpose of the thread.. . I did ask for peoples OPINION, question of opinion, or other, thats kinda the purpose for a forum

I mentioned Lynn Swann and the Sparty as examples of specific NFL careers. Your post is asking for opinions of who will have the best NFL career. I mention these NFL careers in an attempt to determine what constitutes a good one.

Quote:
And finally you asked what constistutes a good NFL career: that s all in each individuals opinion to rate the 8 recevers picked in the top 10 in the past three years.... again read the thread

As the author of the original poll, you need clarify what you THINK constitutes a good career in order to validate anyone else's response. If I ask you; who has had a better NFL career, P. Manning or T. Brady; based on individual statistics you would have to say Manning. However, based on SB wins, etc., you would have to say Brady. So, in order to pose the question, you need set the criteria.
Maybe you should read your own post. The ability is available to preview prior to submitting.

Brian wrote:

Quote:
I don't think that you can reasonably state that Swann had a "Tremendous NFL Career"

I appreciate your opinion, however this is a perfect example of why criteria needs to be set when taking a poll. 4 SB's, SB MVP, 3 Pro Bowls, franchise leader in receptions, receiving yards, and touchdown receptions at the time of retirement, and Super Bowl records, including career receptions, career receiving yards, career touchdown receptions, yards in a game, and the highest punt return average in a game would be considered by many as a "tremendous" NFL career.

May 2nd, 2005, 7:29 am
Red Shirt Freshman

1) CRog, M. Williams, BMW will all be equally effective
2) Braylon Edwards, he's a Michigan grad

3) everyone else

May 2nd, 2005, 9:28 am
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

A good discussion, although the rhetoric is running a little high.

There are a couple things I would point as well as further qualification, although I think the original question was phrased in a quite informal way.

It is hard to compare receivers from different historical eras. Peyton's performance last year was historic statistically speaking, but not too many people argued he was the best ever. Only in baseball does it seem that you can somewhat compare players from other eras. Perhaps you could add in a context, how did a player's statistics measure up to those of his peers?

The team nature of football makes it very hard to isolate individual talent and aptitude. A good QB can make a receivers career while landing in a poor spot can mar someone's career. There are many examples of this. Freeman's career definitely benifitted from Favre, and I am sure he would not have had close to the production at Cincy he experienced at Green Bay. My memory fails me, but in the early 1980s New England drafted a wide receiver first over all, who eventually had a great career despite a poor start with his original team.

May 2nd, 2005, 12:02 pm
Pop Warner Vet

I would say Roy #1 and the rest can fight for the scraps. I read that Roy made some sick catch in the mini-camp. Some sort of behind the back 1 hander thingy :shock: Apparently everyones jaw hit the ground because of how insane a catch it was :lol:

May 2nd, 2005, 12:07 pm
Reply to topic   [ 69 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next