View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 29th, 2014, 7:12 pm

Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Best Wideout in three years? 
Junior Varsity

Strawberries, that was awesome. I'm glad the discussion that ensued was able to jumpstart your career in best selling, fictional literature. Although you certainly don't want them, let me make a couple of suggestions. Nobody would believe that the Cleveland Browns would be playing the Lions; they would have moved the team to Albuquerque in 2007. Second, they were led to victory, not by Charlie Frye, but a bitter Joey Harrington, whom the Lions traded to the Browns for Trent Dilfer and a book of stamps. I like the mention of the long snapper. It adds something to the story; I'm not sure what, but something. I don't want to lose the moped accident, so you could mention that it was actually Kellen who was injured (there was an addendum to his contract, stating a moped was his only allowed transportation). :D

Ferris, "Deadwood" is a brand new series on HBO; a couple of years newer than the most recent of your two references, Clerks and Mallrats. If you get a chance, I highly recommend it. My reference to "Deadwood" does not have any indication of my age. Your unfamiliarity only creates the assumption that I have HBO and you don't.

Now that you mention it, I guess I could associate your statement with something Kevin Smith would have one of his characters say, probably one played by Jason Lee. However, I still believe it more closely resembles part of a "Deadwood" dialogue.

May 5th, 2005, 12:04 pm
Junior Varsity

Quote:
The thing is, though, i'm not discounting his career... i'm just defending my hypothesis that he isn't a tremendous player. I defended my statement, talking about who exactly qualifies as a "tremendous" player, and Swann fits that category.

Good Lord, man! Why do you feel the need to defend a statement that wasn't argued?

Quote:
Usually, #2 receivers on a team full of talented players shouldn't make it into the HOF.

What does that mean? Did you mean to say wouldn't? I hope so, for the sake of your credibility.

Quote:
I don't think he had a "tremendous" career. Just my opinion. I'm not discouting his career based on when he played, rather his talent, his numbers, and his misguided awards that he won.

I'm glad you finally acknowledged the basis of my questions. Most would disagree with you, but I truly appreciate your opinion.

Let me say again; I only used Swann's as an example of a career, asking what constitutes a good one. If it's easier, take out the name associated with his career and replace it with "a career consisting of".

May 5th, 2005, 12:23 pm
RIP Killer

I would say Roy #1 and the rest can fight for the scraps. I read that Roy made some sick catch in the mini-camp. Some sort of behind the back 1 hander thingy :shock: Apparently everyones jaw hit the ground because of how insane a catch it was :lol:

I saw the video. It was impressive, but not THAT impressive. You can't really judge a player by one catch, especially in practice with little to no contact as the rule. Roy showed he was human last year a few weeks into the season.

It is difficult to make a judgement on a players career when they haven't even started theirs or barely have. Also, a big part of how well a receiver is going to do is who he has throwing him the ball. If Andre Johnson had been drafted by Green Bay, I think he would be the consensus best player of the bunch.

May 5th, 2005, 2:10 pm
QB Coach

Brian wrote:

Quote:
The thing is, though, i'm not discounting his career... i'm just defending my hypothesis that he isn't a tremendous player. I defended my statement, talking about who exactly qualifies as a "tremendous" player, and Swann fits that category.

Good Lord, man! Why do you feel the need to defend a statement that wasn't argued?

That was indeed argued. That was the first statement I made in this thread, and you countered it, starting the argument.

Quote:
Usually, #2 receivers on a team full of talented players shouldn't make it into the HOF.

N8Dog wrote:
What does that mean? Did you mean to say wouldn't? I hope so, for the sake of your credibility.

No, I meant to say shouldn't. It means that a receiver like Swann shouldn't be in the HOF because of his numbers, and his impact to the team. Wouldn't doesn't fit into the context. And I really don't see at all how that harms the credibility at all... :? No need to say things like that.

Quote:
I don't think he had a "tremendous" career. Just my opinion. I'm not discouting his career based on when he played, rather his talent, his numbers, and his misguided awards that he won.

N8Dog wrote:
I'm glad you finally acknowledged the basis of my questions. Most would disagree with you, but I truly appreciate your opinion.

Let me say again; I only used Swann's as an example of a career, asking what constitutes a good one. If it's easier, take out the name associated with his career and replace it with "a career consisting of".

Which is exactly why I wouldn't say that Swann had a tremendous career, which was the basis of this entire argument. Regardless of the name, those numbers aren't HOF numbers, and they aren't numbers of a "tremendous career".

May 5th, 2005, 8:16 pm
Profile WWW
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

I have to learn to do that quote function. I feel overwhelmed by all these lawyers! :D

May 5th, 2005, 8:42 pm
National Champion

I have to learn to do that quote function. I feel overwhelmed by all these lawyers! :D

Yorick, if you need legal representation for the purposes of this thread, I'd be happy to provide it pro bono. I have almost 2/3 of a legal education by now. :D

May 5th, 2005, 9:22 pm

You better help the prez. My head still hurts from trying to figure out why he mentioned Dread Scott. :lol:

May 5th, 2005, 11:00 pm
Div 1 - Starter

Yorick wrote:

I have almost 2/3 of a legal education by now. :D

I will also be 2/3 a lawyer by next Wednesday! :)

Apparently this is where the debaters roost. Is it really that suprising, Yorick? We argue for a living (or aspire to do so, in which case we argue in school for a professional degree)....

My favorite day ever as a Lions fan.

Somehow landing the Ndamo-nator would be the second best day ever.

May 5th, 2005, 11:14 pm

Oh dear. We are going to have to start a forensics club. Thank goodness you guys have stayed away from the tired JH subject :wink:

May 5th, 2005, 11:30 pm
Junior Varsity

I just spend 20 minutes writing a response and then deleted it. When trrying to make a point to Brian (edited by moderator) I apologize for being so crass, but my patience has been exhausted. ](*,)

EDIT: I can understand you're frustrated N8, but let's try not to attack each other. - Wags

May 6th, 2005, 6:22 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Hey now, if you have a problem, keep it to yourself. I know you have been in some argument over Lynn Swann :? but keep personal attacks out. This forum is not supposed to turn into DLMB.

May 6th, 2005, 7:50 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

I just spend 20 minutes writing a response and then deleted it. When trrying to make a point to Brian (edited by moderator) I apologize for being so crass, but my patience has been exhausted. ](*,)

Nate, I don't always agree with everyone on this forum including Brian. However, you can't let it get dragged into a personal attack. You are entitled to your opinion as well as the rest of us. Somewhere along the line you simply have to agree to disagree and move on. You stated that you were trying to make a point to Brian. That actually isn't true. You made your point, but you were actually trying to get some agreement from Brian on it. If you firmly stand by your statements then no such agreement is necessary for you to feel vindicated. Just believe in you.

May 6th, 2005, 8:38 am

:idea: Diversity is what keeps us from being Borg.

May 6th, 2005, 12:12 pm
RIP Killer

Strawberries&Chocolat wrote:
I have almost 2/3 of a legal education by now. :D

I will also be 2/3 a lawyer by next Wednesday! :) .

Fellers (blueblood and Strawberries) - question about law school.

My girlfriend's dream is to become a Corporate Lawyer. She is in her Sr year at Iowa State studying Chem E. What's law schoo like? I don't know anyone who's been to law school, so I'm pretty dumb on this one. Any info about applying, good schools, the LSAT, etc would be appreciated!!

Last edited by conversion02 on May 6th, 2005, 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 6th, 2005, 12:18 pm

Psst, there are way too many lawyers! :lol:

May 6th, 2005, 12:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next