View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 20th, 2014, 9:09 pm

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Beep Test Results 
RIP Killer

Post Beep Test Results
The beep test results are in and the winners are:

#3) David Kircus - is he still with the leos?
#2) Jeff Garcia - the old man can still move
#1) Todd Mortensen - undrafted QB out of San Diego

Todd came up a bit short of the record. Doesn't it seem strange that a QB seems to win this every year? (McMike in 03', Joey in 04')

May 2nd, 2005, 3:16 pm
Profile WWW
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

May 2nd, 2005, 3:25 pm
Junior Varsity

Forgive my ignorance, but; what is the beep test?

May 3rd, 2005, 8:21 am
RIP Killer

The Beep Test is a series of 20 yard windsprints that are done in order to test a players conditioning level.

May 3rd, 2005, 8:25 am
Junior Varsity

So, is it safe to assume, based on Joey winning in '04, that the speed with which you complete this test is not considered a grading criteria?

May 3rd, 2005, 8:43 am
RIP Killer

Thanks.

So, is it safe to assume, based on Joey winning in '04, that the speed with which you complete this test is not considered a grading criteria?

I can't say that I know all the details of the test, only what I've read. Speed is not a big input in this, since most of the time it isn't the fastest guys that do the best on the test.

May 3rd, 2005, 8:49 am
ST Coordinator – John Bonamego

It is not windsprints? 90 windsprints would be impossible. From my understanding it is an exercise where you go back forth across the field and accelerate after each beep or whistle from the coach. You start off with a walk and finish at close to a sprint level. The path back and forth is probably more like a shuttle distance, 15-25 feet?

May 3rd, 2005, 12:00 pm
RIP Killer

It is not windsprints? 90 windsprints would be impossible. From my understanding it is an exercise where you go back forth across the field and accelerate after each beep or whistle from the coach. You start off with a walk and finish at close to a sprint level. The path back and forth is probably more like a shuttle distance, 15-25 feet?

I've read that the distance is 20 yards. I've read that on several different occasions. I only mentioned windsprints for lack of a better way of desribing what takes place.

May 3rd, 2005, 12:27 pm

How does the beep fit in then? Do you go back and forth 20 yards, and the coach beeps the pace increase only intermittently? That would seem logical, since, 95 accelerations would seem impossible.

The idea of a standardized distance would seem important for maintaining equality, yet you would also have to ensure a standardized pace. Or maybe that is the runner's responsibility?

May 3rd, 2005, 1:01 pm
Site Admin

Huge photo alert!!! Anyways here is a photo of the 2004 beep from minicamp. See if you sluths can figure out anything from this photo. Looks more like 30 yards to me...

May 3rd, 2005, 1:11 pm
Profile WWW

description: This test involves continuous running between two lines 20m apart in time to recorded beeps. For this reason the test if also often called the 'beep' or 'bleep' test. The time between recorded beeps decrease each minute (level). There are several versions of the test, but one commonly used version has an initial running velocity of 8.5 km/hr, which increases by 0.5 km/hr each minute.

scoring: The athletes score is the level and number of shuttles reached before they were unable to keep up with the tape recording. This score can be converted to a VO2max equivalent score using this calculator.
equipment required: Flat, non-slip surface, marking cones, 20m measuring tape, pre-recorded audio tape, tape recorder, recording sheets.
target population: Suitable for sports teams and school groups, but not for populations in which a maximal exercise test would be contraindicated.
validity: There are published VO2max score equivalents for each level reached (calculator available here). The correlation to actual VO2max scores is high.
reliability: Reliability would depend on how strictly the test is run, and the practice allowed for the subjects.
advantages: Large groups can perform this test all at once for minimal costs. Also, the test continues to maximum effort unlike many other tests of endurance capacity.
disadvantages: Practice and motivation levels can influence the score attained, and the scoring can be subjective. As the test is usually conducted outside, the environmental conditions can be often affect the results.
variations: You will find that there are several different variations of this test, and you should ensure that you have norms relevant to the correct test. Another shuttle type of test that has been pointed out to me is the Aero test, which is like the bleep test but each bleep is 0.05 km/h quicker than the last one and there are no level. It is a 20m shuttle run and each 20m counts as a score of one.
other considerations:
As the audio-tapes may stretch over time, the tapes need to be calibrated which involves timing a one-minute interval and making adjustment to the distance between markers. The recording is also available on compact disc, which does not require such a stringent calibration, but should also be checked occasionally.
This test goes by many names, though you need to be careful as the different names also may signify that these are different versions of the test. Therefore you need to be wary when comparing results or comparing to norms

May 3rd, 2005, 1:37 pm
RIP Killer

Ha, I wonder who the white-shirted 9 year old in the middle is.

May 3rd, 2005, 1:46 pm

Ha, I wonder who the white-shirted 9 year old in the middle is.

I wonder how many players he beat.

May 3rd, 2005, 1:47 pm

"Ha, I wonder who the white-shirted 9 year old in the middle is."

If you look closely you can see that it is Joey Harrington when he is lacking in confidence he shrinks. In fact they made a movie about the phenomenon starring Rick Moranis. I hope this doesn't happen in a game.

May 3rd, 2005, 2:10 pm

8.5 KM/hr is probably not a "sprint". I suppose some one could do the calculation for what the closing speed is after 90 "laps". Anyone?

May 3rd, 2005, 2:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next