Wednesday, May 04, 2005
WDFN Killer notes - Minicamp review
On Monday, Tom Kowalski joined Mike Stone on Sports Talk Soup to review the weekend minicamp. If you are unable to hear the interview, here is a brief review of the major points.
- Can?t tell much from a mini camp
- Can tell some differences in how they will run the offense (lots of shifting, motion, different passing game) which Killer likes
- Fewer mistakes between QB and WR thanks to the new offense
- QB?s throwing to a spot and getting timing down with the receivers
- Mike Williams looked pretty good and quick for his size, he is very smooth with the body of a linebacker
- CRog looks great, getting over the mental hurdle of the past two seasons and can?t wait to show what he can do
- Harrington looked good, but he also looked good for the first two weeks of training camp
- Garcia looked alright, but has never looked super-wonderful in practice, even as a Pro Bowler. He?s much better in game situations
- Lions were healthy coming in, and no one left with injury either
- There is a buzz around the locker room. Players always trusted themselves, but are starting to believe in the talent around them.
- Everyone was at the mini camp and participating
- They want to win. They aren?t being greedy, especially at WR. They are all getting along and push each other. If they become winners, that could change.
- WR?s want to outdo Roy Williams? spectacular catch
- Kevin Johnson fits right in and is looking great in mini camp, he?s a vet who can play and a leader/mentor
- Looks like starting safeties are Kennedy and Holt
- LB is interesting. Davis on the weak, Lehman or Holmes in the middle. Lehman or Bailey on the strong side. If Bailey is slow in coming back, it will be Lehman
- Next up, signing the rookies. The Lions are good about signing rookies, and their agents aren?t the scary hold-out type of agent
Thanks to Jeff Cottrell for sending these notes along every time we feature an interview, even if I am unable to get them into the blog. Great job.
Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right....