View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 24th, 2014, 4:20 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Tom's new article from Sportingnews.com 
RIP Killer

Post Tom's new article from Sportingnews.com
From SportingNews.com.....

Although the Lions publicly claim they have no concerns about the long-term health of strong side linebacker Boss Bailey, their actions in minicamp might suggest otherwise. Teddy Lehman, who started every game for the injured Bailey last year, is splitting reps between strong and middle linebacker. That's partly because the team is bringing Bailey along slowly. But Lehman is going to play somewhere, and if it's in the middle, which is the position he was drafted to play, why isn't he getting all the reps there so he has a chance to unseat incumbent Earl Holmes? Lehman got very little work in the middle last year, and the position is new to him. The Lions already have a capable strongside backup in Donte Curry. It appears clear the Lions want to keep their options open if Bailey, who has a history of knee problems, suffers a setback during training camp or the regular season. . . .

Fifth-round pick QB Dan Orlovsky's progress has been a pleasant surprise to the team. Orlovsky doesn't have great mobility, but he's used to throwing on the run because that was the staple of his college offense. Lions head coach Steve Mariucci started giving Orlovsky more minicamp reps than originally planned. That trend could continue into training camp.

SCOUTING REPORT: Free agent acquisition Rick DeMulling, who will start at left guard, gives the Lions a lot of flexibility with their counters, traps and screens. The strength of the line has been its quickness and ability to move in space, and DeMulling is a perfect fit. He can also play center, and that gives the Lions some flexibility in case of injury. DeMulling has the ideal attitude for a lineman, but he sometimes gets too aggressive in downfield blocks and loses some consistency. He has good size, but he isn't a power blocker and can get pushed around in short-yardage and goal-line situations.

MINICAMP MAYHEM: Backup quarterback Jeff Garcia raised some eyebrows when, during one practice session, several of his downfield passes came up short. Garcia is being counted on to step in and produce immediately if starter Joey Harrington struggles, but the Lions weren't concerned about Garcia's inconsistency. Mariucci said Garcia, who threw well for the majority of the Lions' minicamp, has a history of flubbing a few here and there in practice, and it's never been a problem. . . .

The addition of offensive coordinator Ted Tollner became evident from the first set of offensive snaps. The Lions are going to do a lot more shifting and motion with the idea of creating defensive mismatches. Even though teams will play a lot of zone against Detroit's three-receiver offense, getting a defender out of position at the start of a play could lead to more big plays downfield.

DEFENSIVE ENDS ANALYSIS: Grade: B-. James Hall turned the corner last year, and Cory Redding is improving, but they're still waiting for Kalimba Edwards to see the light.

May 9th, 2005, 7:38 am
Hall of Fame Player

Thanks.

I read this stuff about Bailey and I say... If we would have taken DJ we could rest easier.

May 9th, 2005, 8:00 am
Profile WWW
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Good info. I am most interested in seeing the deMulling effect. I have seen little discussion of it compared to the other issues.

May 9th, 2005, 12:23 pm
QB Coach

Post Re: Tom's new article from Sportingnews.com
conversion02 wrote:
Fifth-round pick QB Dan Orlovsky's progress has been a pleasant surprise to the team. Orlovsky doesn't have great mobility, but he's used to throwing on the run because that was the staple of his college offense. Lions head coach Steve Mariucci started giving Orlovsky more minicamp reps than originally planned. That trend could continue into training camp.

That's my boy...

I'm telling you, he could be our starter next year, if Joey falters.

Sounds like Garcia is the one who is doing the faltering. But that was expected.

May 9th, 2005, 11:24 pm
Profile WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I watched Dan's highlight video on yahoo, and he looked pretty good on the bootleg. He also looked just mobile enough to avoid the rush. It's nice that he will have a year to carry the clipboard and learn the offense.

May 10th, 2005, 7:51 am
Profile WWW
Varsity Captain

It makes me proud to see dan progressing so smoothly, I hope he will give us UCONN and Detroit fans something to agree on for years to come.

May 10th, 2005, 6:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]