View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 21st, 2014, 2:02 am

Reply to topic  [ 218 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 2011 Injury Thread 
QB Coach

Post Re: 2011 Injury Thread
I just don't think it's a good idea to bring in injury prone RBs. Hillis and Jackson both haven't stayed healthy in a while. Why bring them here? Choice, I don't know enough about him.

http://www.11points.com/Books/11_Things ... _Do_Anyway

LET'S GO DUKE!

If you don't like gay marriage, don't get one.

October 17th, 2011, 3:46 pm
Varsity Captain

Choice may no longer be available, Felix Jones has a high ankle sprain and may miss a week or more.

Jerry Jones said he would to calls about Choice, however that was before Jones diagnosis.

October 17th, 2011, 4:11 pm
Mr. Irrelevant

Trading a future draft pick of any significance (rounds 1-4) for a RB would be foolish, imo. I don't believe adding a proven back would greatly enhance the running game. If the Lions feel the need to add a back, because of Best's recurring injuries, (FA's). Aaron Brown could still be available, and knows the system. I'm sure there are other possibilities as well. I'm all for adding a 4th RB, just not spending high draft picks to do it. The Lions poor running attack is a direct reflection of a lousy O-line, adding any back isn't going to change that.
The Lions have had a great start, better than most of us would have envisioned. If we were 3-3 at this point I wouldn't be disappointed, and would feel we were making progress and going in the right direction. This only the 3rd year in the rebuild, so save the picks and continue to improve the talent base.

October 18th, 2011, 7:47 am
RIP Killer

liontrax wrote:
Trading a future draft pick of any significance (rounds 1-4) for a RB would be foolish, imo. I don't believe adding a proven back would greatly enhance the running game. If the Lions feel the need to add a back, because of Best's recurring injuries, (FA's). Aaron Brown could still be available, and knows the system. I'm sure there are other possibilities as well. I'm all for adding a 4th RB, just not spending high draft picks to do it. The Lions poor running attack is a direct reflection of a lousy O-line, adding any back isn't going to change that.
The Lions have had a great start, better than most of us would have envisioned. If we were 3-3 at this point I wouldn't be disappointed, and would feel we were making progress and going in the right direction. This only the 3rd year in the rebuild, so save the picks and continue to improve the talent base.

In the case of a third back on the depth chart, I don't see the value being anything more than a conditional pick in 2012 or 2013, with it being no higher than a 6th rounder. Brandon Lloyd just got traded for a 5th rounder, and he's a Pro Bowler.

Aaron Brown would be OK. He's got the same basic skillset as Best, except with less lateral quickness. I would be more interested in someone who can do better between the tackles. It is pretty easy for a RB to learn the system. That's why rookie RBs do so well and integrate into the offense so quickly, as opposed to rookie WRs.

October 18th, 2011, 1:01 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Post Stafford - day to day
ESPN.com wrote:
October 24, 2011, 3:24 PM ET

Lions' Matthew Stafford day to day

Detroit Lions coach Jim Schwartz said Monday that Matthew Stafford is day to day after tests showed the quarterback's right knee is fine. Stafford's right ankle is in a walking boot, the coach also said.

Atlanta Falcons linebacker Curtis Lofton fell on Stafford's right leg during Detroit's last play of a 23-16 loss Sunday to the Atlanta.

Stafford played in only three games last season because of shoulder problems and has missed 19 regular season games over his first two NFL seasons.

"I'm moving around OK right now, so we'll see," Stafford said Sunday.

Stafford said he would have attempted to stay in the game if the Lions had regained possession, but Atlanta was able to run out the clock. The Lions (5-2) already are missing starting running back Jahvid Best, who sat out Sunday's loss after suffering a concussion last week.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/71447 ... qb-day-day

This could have been MUCH worse!!

October 24th, 2011, 5:29 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Heard Staff was at practice today and threw the pigskin around a little bit but it was mainly Hill runing with the 1st team offense.

October 26th, 2011, 1:52 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Pablo wrote:
Heard Staff was at practice today and threw the pigskin around a little bit but it was mainly Hill runing with the 1st team offense.

Funny, I just read an article on PFT that says Stafford was practicing and is expected to start on Sunday.

Guess it depends who you ask......

October 26th, 2011, 4:14 pm
QB Coach

m2karateman wrote:
Pablo wrote:

Funny, I just read an article on PFT that says Stafford was practicing and is expected to start on Sunday.

Guess it depends who you ask......

The Lions beat writers tweeted from practice the Staff was throwing the ball around, but Hill was running 1st team. But, they also said that it is likely Staff will play on Sunday. So both are kind of correct it would seem.

http://www.11points.com/Books/11_Things ... _Do_Anyway

LET'S GO DUKE!

If you don't like gay marriage, don't get one.

October 26th, 2011, 4:17 pm
RIP Killer

freep wrote:
Injured Lions QB Matthew Stafford moves well again at practice

Detroit Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford continues to make progress in his return from a sprained right ankle.

Stafford took part in every drill during the 30-minute portion of practice open to the media this morning. He worked with the first-team offense -- Shaun Hill took first-team reps when Stafford was limited Wednesday -- and did a full complement of handoffs, both from dropbacks and the shotgun formation.

Stafford officially is considered day-to-day, but he moved around effortlessly today and appears on track to play Sunday against the Denver Broncos.

"If he’s able to go Sunday then he will," Lions coach Jim Schwartz said Wednesday. "He’s our starting quarterback."

Running back Jahvid Best (concussion), defensive tackles Nick Fairley (foot) and Sammie Hill (ankle), guard Rob Sims (undisclosed) and wide receiver Rashied Davis (foot) did not practice for the Lions today.

Starters Kyle Vanden Bosch (rest) and Chris Houston (back) returned after sitting out Wednesday.

October 27th, 2011, 1:25 pm
Profile WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

freep wrote:
defensive tackles Nick Fairley (foot)

Anyone got details? This is a big red flag to me unless it was just a little lingering soreness from the previous injury after his 1st High (medium) activity game.

October 27th, 2011, 3:49 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Modmin Dude

DJ-B wrote:
freep wrote:

Anyone got details? This is a big red flag to me unless it was just a little lingering soreness from the previous injury after his 1st High (medium) activity game.

I'd say he's still "getting into football shape"...........

Joe Fauria, MVP!

October 27th, 2011, 4:29 pm
RIP Killer

TheRealWags wrote:
DJ-B wrote:
freep wrote:

It could very well be that they are just giving him a day off to rest it due to lingering soreness. That's to be expected. If he misses the game, then there's cause for genuine concern.

Did he even play in the Atlanta game?

October 27th, 2011, 5:42 pm
RIP Killer

m2karateman wrote:
TheRealWags wrote:
DJ-B wrote:
freep wrote:

It could very well be that they are just giving him a day off to rest it due to lingering soreness. That's to be expected. If he misses the game, then there's cause for genuine concern.

I remember him making one tackle, that is all I can recall so he played - but not very well.

October 27th, 2011, 5:47 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran General Manager

Pablo wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
TheRealWags wrote:
DJ-B wrote:
freep wrote:

I remember him making one tackle, that is all I can recall so he played - but not very well.

After 2 sterling drafts, I am starting to think that we may have swung and missed on him. ( I think he might have a bit of slothfulness in him.) But, it is far too early to give up on him.

October 27th, 2011, 8:06 pm
RIP Killer

BillySims wrote:
After 2 sterling drafts, I am starting to think that we may have swung and missed on him. ( I think he might have a bit of slothfulness in him.) But, it is far too early to give up on him.

It's way too early to pull that rabbit out of the hat. A 300 pound guy with a foot injury, and after having surgery, is not to be expected to be the same after just a few weeks. I had a foot injury in high school, weighed about half what Fairley does, didn't have surgery, and it took a good couple months before I could run without pain. It definitely affected pushing off, and even balance.

I'd give him about another two or three weeks before you can really start judging him too harshly. And even then it may be too early, depending on the extend of his original injury.

October 27th, 2011, 10:21 pm
Reply to topic   [ 218 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next