View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 20th, 2014, 5:31 pm

Reply to topic  [ 218 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15  Next
 2011 Injury Thread 
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Post Re: 2011 Injury Thread
JL wrote:
njroar wrote:
They were using flashlight to the eyes, so probably kept him out precautionary for concussion.

Uh oh. Didn't he have some really nasty concussions in college? (It was why he dropped so far in the draft, if memory serves.)

Yes, he had that really bad one and that was why he fell.

NEVER GIVE UP!

August 20th, 2011, 8:18 am
RIP Killer

Backus was taken off the NFI list, and is supposed to being practicing this week with the team. Titus Young has begun practicing again. Isaac Sowells was waived because of Backus coming off the NFI list.

Backus coming off the list is good news. That should hopefully quell the thoughts that his injury was really bad and would land him on IR. Young better stay healthy now. He needs to show what he can do.

August 21st, 2011, 3:49 pm
National Champion

m2karateman wrote:
Backus was taken off the NFI list, and is supposed to being practicing this week with the team. Titus Young has begun practicing again. Isaac Sowells was waived because of Backus coming off the NFI list.

Backus coming off the list is good news. That should hopefully quell the thoughts that his injury was really bad and would land him on IR. Young better stay healthy now. He needs to show what he can do.

I know, right? I hate to beat a dead horse, but is anyone else concerned that our top 3 draft picks are all out with injuries. Admittidly, Leshoure is the only one out for the season, but dude, it's hard to evaluate a draft when 60% of the class is hurt...

August 21st, 2011, 4:43 pm
Veteran General Manager

Hystrix wrote:
m2karateman wrote:

I know, right? I hate to beat a dead horse, but is anyone else concerned that our top 3 draft picks are all out with injuries. Admittidly, Leshoure is the only one out for the season, but dude, it's hard to evaluate a draft when 60% of the class is hurt...
With the lockout and everything, I actually expected this kind of situation. One of the Bills Rookies a DB named Ryan Williams just ruptured his Patellar Tendon.

August 21st, 2011, 8:55 pm

It's officially a concussion.

In more positive news, Mo Morris was back at practice.

August 22nd, 2011, 12:25 am
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

BillySims wrote:
Hystrix wrote:
m2karateman wrote:

With the lockout and everything, I actually expected this kind of situation. One of the Bills Rookies a DB named Ryan Williams just ruptured his Patellar Tendon.

He's actually a RB for Arizona. Just sayin'.

The Leshoure loss was obviously significant--the depth at RB isn't great and Best needs to show that he can indeed stay healthy. He hasn't missed much time because of injury but his effectiveness was certainly reduced last year.

Fairley I'm not worried about. He should be back shortly after the season begins and he won't have to jump right in and start--the DL depth is very good.

Young is the one that concerns me. He's hardly practiced at all and the Lions need him to produce almost immediately. He can be a major difference-maker in the offense, which relies heavily on having a slot WR with good hands--it got so bad last year that Scheffler ended up playing slot because Williams and Johnson couldn't get it done. Hopefully Young is back for good now and will get up to speed quickly.

August 22nd, 2011, 12:32 am
Modmin Dude

PFT wrote:
Lions will “take it slow” with Jahvid Best concussion
Posted by Michael David Smith on August 22, 2011, 8:25 AM EDT

One of the scariest injuries in college football in recent years happened when Jahvid Best scored a leaping touchdown and was knocked out by the impact of hitting the ground in the end zone. Two years later, the Lions are still mindful of that injury.

As a result, Lions coach Jim Schwartz said, the team is going to be very cautious about putting Best back on the field after he suffered another concussion on Friday.

“We’ll take it slow with him, just based on his situation from a couple years ago,” Schwartz said. “We’ll just be very, very cautious with him. But we should have him back on the practice field pretty soon.”

Best called Friday’s concussion “nothing bad,” and said he’s not concerned. But the Lions are concerned enough that they’re not going to take any chances with Best’s recovery from his latest concussion.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... oncussion/

Joe Fauria, MVP!

August 22nd, 2011, 9:06 am
RIP Killer

mwill2 wrote:
He's actually a RB for Arizona. Just sayin'.

The Leshoure loss was obviously significant--the depth at RB isn't great and Best needs to show that he can indeed stay healthy. He hasn't missed much time because of injury but his effectiveness was certainly reduced last year.

Fairley I'm not worried about. He should be back shortly after the season begins and he won't have to jump right in and start--the DL depth is very good.

Young is the one that concerns me. He's hardly practiced at all and the Lions need him to produce almost immediately. He can be a major difference-maker in the offense, which relies heavily on having a slot WR with good hands--it got so bad last year that Scheffler ended up playing slot because Williams and Johnson couldn't get it done. Hopefully Young is back for good now and will get up to speed quickly.

I'm actually the opposite. I'm more worried about Fairley....but for the long term. A big guy with a foot injury is a concern. He broke it in a non-contact drill, which is unusual. I have to wonder if he stepped on something on the field, or if it was a stress thing....I don't know. But his long term health now becomes a possible issue. Having three solid defensive tackles to take up his absence helps. He won't have to be rushed into active duty right away.

As for Titus, he was working with Stafford in the off-season at the player voluntary work outs, so I'm not too concerned with the timing issues on that. As for having the slot receiver, I agree we want that deep threat but we can always use Stovall on the outside and move Nate inside. Stovall has been pretty good, and I think he makes the team. Rashied Davis has been OK, but hasn't gotten as many reps. We have better depth now at WR, and Derrick Williams has dropped his way out of a job the past two games. I'd be shocked and PISSED if the Lions keep him another season. Other players have done better in game situations than him. And just as a reminder, last year at the end of the season the Lions were using Stefan Logan in the slot, and he did a pretty good job. I am hoping the Lions will occasionally bring him out as part of a spread package. If an opposing team puts their dime back or backup safety on him, he'll blow right past them.

August 22nd, 2011, 9:11 am

Quote:
Jahvid Best, Kyle Vanden Bosch still out; several others return to Detroit Lions practice
Published: Monday, August 22, 2011, 9:56 AM Updated: Monday, August 22, 2011, 10:44 AM
By Philip Zaroo | MLive.com

Update (10:40 a.m.): Titus Young did not make it through practice; he is on the sideline with his left hamstring wrapped.
ALLEN PARK — Jahvid Best and Kyle Vanden Bosch are sitting out a second straight practice.
The Lions' second-year running back was shaken up during Detroit's preseason game against Cleveland on Friday, while it's not clear why the veteran defensive end is on the sidelines.
Titus Young, the Lions' second-round pick, is practicing with his teammates for the second day in a row, after missing the majority of training camp with a sore hamstring. Young was limited in Sunday's practice, but head coach Jim Schwartz said the rookie receiver will get a chance to go through the full regimen Monday.
Running back Maurice Morris (broken hand) is participating Monday, also, though in a limited role, for the time being.
Other players back on the field after missing Sunday's practice with minor bumps and bruises are offensive tackle Corey Hilliard, defensive tackle Quinn Pitcock and fullback Matt Clapp.
Tight end Richard Dickson is also sidelined for Monday's workout.
© 2011 MLive.com. All rights reserved.

August 22nd, 2011, 10:53 am
RIP Killer

Woohoo Pitcock!

August 22nd, 2011, 10:56 am
RIP Killer

It's looking like the Lions may want to consider having Young start the season on the PUP list. Every time he's OKed to start practicing for real, his hammy tightens up on him again. They have to allow him time to nurture that back to health. They can afford to do that, with Stovall doing pretty well thus far. They should do the same with Alfonso Smith, and maybe even Fairley. It's more important they come back fully healed and conditioned, than for them to come back for the first game of the season.

August 22nd, 2011, 11:16 am
Player of the Year - Defense

Young has practiced already, same with Fairley, so they're unable to go on the PUP. As for him not making it through practice, I think that's the plan. With a tight hammy, you work it back slowly, you don't go a full practice the first time back.

August 22nd, 2011, 11:19 am

njroar wrote:
Young has practiced already, same with Fairley, so they're unable to go on the PUP. As for him not making it through practice, I think that's the plan. With a tight hammy, you work it back slowly, you don't go a full practice the first time back.

Doesn't the PUP rule you allude to only apply to the preseason? I'm pretty sure you can put anyone you want on PUP to start the regular season.

August 22nd, 2011, 11:44 am
Player of the Year - Defense

Nope, once you've practiced during the preseason, you can't go on PUP.

August 22nd, 2011, 11:52 am

njroar wrote:
Nope, once you've practiced during the preseason, you can't go on PUP.

Got it--that really sucks.

August 22nd, 2011, 2:04 pm
Reply to topic   [ 218 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15  Next