View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 30th, 2014, 1:10 am

Reply to topic  [ 218 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 15  Next
 2011 Injury Thread 
NFL Team Captain

Post Re: 2011 Injury Thread
No worries lol :cheers:

September 4th, 2011, 11:44 pm
Team MVP

njroar wrote:
Nope, Fairley had a screw inserted. His cast is already off and he's said to be ready to come back to practice soon. No idea how long it takes to get him ready to enter the rotation though.

I like that news.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

September 5th, 2011, 7:35 am
Varsity Benchwarmer

I know Fairley wont play week 1. Is there any chance he will be put on the pup? I'd almost rather he get healed correctly and get in game shape and not try to push it to hard.

September 5th, 2011, 11:02 pm
QB Coach

jedi~outcast wrote:
I know Fairley wont play week 1. Is there any chance he will be put on the pup? I'd almost rather he get healed correctly and get in game shape and not try to push it to hard.

I don't think he can be. Isn't there a rule that once you've practiced you can't be put on the PUP?

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

September 6th, 2011, 12:47 am
Varsity Benchwarmer

Touchdown Jesus wrote:
jedi~outcast wrote:

I don't think he can be. Isn't there a rule that once you've practiced you can't be put on the PUP?

You have to fail a physical and be placed on PUP prior to the pre-season. Fairley would not be eligible.

September 6th, 2011, 12:50 am
Player of the Year - Defense

You can't have practiced at all during preseason. He practiced, so not eligible for PUP. The only player that was eligible was Alphonso Smith, but he came off the list and practiced yesterday.

September 6th, 2011, 1:22 am
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Here's an update on injuries:
Detroit Free Press wrote:
Lions' Nick Fairley (foot) to miss season opener
9:24 PM, Sep. 5, 2011 | BY DAVE BIRKETT

Rookie first-round pick Nick Fairley won't be ready for the Detroit Lions' season opener Sunday against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Fairley, the 13th overall pick out of Auburn, has not practiced since having surgery on his fractured left foot early last month. He’s no longer in a walking boot, but Lions coach Jim Schwartz said today both Fairley and offensive tackle Jason Fox “are still working their way back.”

“Both guys still have a little longer way to go,” Schwartz said. “Out of the boot, but not out of the woods. They still have a lot to do, but they’re doing more and more every day.”

Fox also suffered a foot injury during training camp, and like Fairley missed all four preseason games.

Initially, Fairley was expected to miss four to six weeks following surgery, but the Lions have been cautious bringing him back with plenty of depth on the defensive line. Ndamukong Suh and Corey Williams are entrenched as the starting tackles, backup Sammie Hill had a solid 2010, and Andre Fluellen is back from the broken hand that sidelined him most of training camp.

Defensive line coach Kris Kocurek said last month that Fairley will have some catching up to do when he returns, but still should be an impact player.

“When we drafted him, we looked at a player that fit our profile and fit what we wanted as a d-line, so you’re probably going to see a lot of the same things you’re seeing out of our other d-tackles,” Kocurek said. “The way they play, you’re going to see a lot of that in Fairley. So we’re really excited to get him back.”

Cornerback Alphonso Smith practiced today for the first time since fracturing his foot in off-season workouts, but Schwartz indicated Smith likely won’t play against the Buccaneers, either.

“He’s not game-ready yet,” Schwartz said. “It’s still going to be a while for him, but it’s going to be sooner than six weeks, so we wanted to get him in the swing. Took some individual, took most of 7-on-7, took a few reps in team, but he’s still got a ways to go to get back in the swing of things.”

The Lions decided to activate Smith from the non-football injury list rather than put him on the reserve/NFI list and lose his services for at least the first six weeks of the regular season.

Schwartz also declined today to specify why offensive tackle Johnny Culbreath was placed on injured reserve, saying only, “He had a medical issue.” Culbreath left practice last Monday with medical personnel in tow and did not play in Thursday’s preseason finale against the Buffalo Bills. He was on the field for the start of today’s practice, but cannot take part in practice this year.

My guess is that Fairley may need a couple of weeks to get into game shape and up to speed, but Smith could be ready by week 2. Also, it looks like the Lions were up to their usual trickery by stashing a late round rookie on IR for the year. This wouldn't be the first time.

September 6th, 2011, 4:45 pm

Well last time they tried to place a lineman on the PS, the dolphins snagged him and he ended up starting some games for them. Its actually a smart move.

Fairley will probably jump into action week 2 or 3, but limited snaps. Even 10 snaps will give the rotation a little breather, so I'm not worried about it too much. We'll see if Suh and Williams slow down in the 4th quarter. Smith might see some prevent or nickle action if absolutely necessary this week, but probably not until week 2. He started practicing Monday, so he'll have almost a full week of practice in, but will need another few to get up to game speed. Mentally, he's been able to get into the playbook and be at every meetings so he'd ahead of last season when he was traded for after the final 53 was announced.

The RB situation is the only one that is iffy for me. Best got limited action, so Harrison is the only one that's got his full legs under him. Morris hasn't practiced at all with the broken hand and not sure how K. Williams will fit in. He might split more with Harrison in the first couple weeks until Morris is ready to pick up more.

September 6th, 2011, 9:15 pm
RIP Killer

free' wrote:
Defensive end Kyle Vanden Bosch did not practice for the Detroit Lions today, four days before the season opener against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Vanden Bosch finished last season on injured reserve after undergoing neck surgery and hurt his shoulder in the Lions' second preseason game against the Cleveland Browns.

Vanden Bosch, who missed the Lions' final two preseason games, has said the two injuries are not related.

Asked Monday if he expects Vanden Bosch to play against Tampa, Lions coach Jim Schwartz said, "He practiced today."

Rookie defensive tackle Nick Fairley and offensive lineman Jason Fox also sat out practice today. Both Fairley and Fox are out Sunday.

September 7th, 2011, 5:17 pm
Profile WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

VandenBosch is back at practice today. Just taking it slow with him apparently.

September 8th, 2011, 12:34 pm
Varsity Benchwarmer

thelomasbrowns wrote:
VandenBosch is back at practice today. Just taking it slow with him apparently.

Good news, thanks for the update.

September 8th, 2011, 12:48 pm

Even last season, did'nt KVB always get certain days off practice?

September 8th, 2011, 2:53 pm

Via Twitter:
Quote:
Freep Lions
Lions coach Jim Schwartz: There's "probably not many Wednesdays that" Kyle Vanden Bosch will practice this year bit.ly/qkNDLe

September 8th, 2011, 2:58 pm
RIP Killer

more...

MLive wrote:
ALLEN PARK - On Wednesday, Detroit Lions defensive end Kyle Vanden Bosch was sidelined during practice. In the team's injury report, he was listed as out with a non-injury related reason.

It turns out the team was simply resting the veteran defensive end, a pattern coach Jim Schwartz intends to enact all season.

"I think just where he is with age, and different things like that, we're going to try to take some wear and tear off of him," Schwartz said. "There probably aren't many Wednesday's he's going to practice over the course of the season."

Vanden Bosch, entering his 11th professional season, said he understood and agreed with the decision.

"There are very few people I respect more than coach Schwartz," Vanden Bosch said. "He's been around football a lot longer than I have, and I think he has a good plan. My role coming into this team is helping win in any way I can. I feel good about the way things have gone. Physically I feel great. I think it will pay off on Sundays for us."

September 8th, 2011, 5:08 pm
Profile WWW

I'm not sure about KVB, but I remember Corey Williams getting days off of practice last year. No reason to push the solid vets I guess.

September 9th, 2011, 9:40 am
Reply to topic   [ 218 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 15  Next