View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 22nd, 2014, 7:49 pm

Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Has Cris Carter lost his mind? 
RIP Killer

Post Re: Has Cris Carter lost his mind?
Was it Chicago or another team that last season decided to single cover Calvin and he torched them in the first half, then in the second half suddenly CJ was constantly double or triple covered?

Single coverage takes CJ out of the game? Tell you what, I'm with him on this one...I'd LOVE to see opposing teams try that all the time.

August 16th, 2011, 11:00 am
hamma77 wrote:
I understand yards are really important too but at the end of the day it's about getting in the end zone. Getting 400 yards as a team and scoring only 13 points does not mean your a good offense.

I don't see anyway numbers included he's not a top 5 receiver. I can understand the argument of him not being the best..but top 5 I don't get it.

I'll get blasted for it, but IMO CJ is soft.

His Mom literally yelled at him for getting hurt his rookie year. "It's a business" to him and his family. He doesn't play for the love of the game, he's afraid of getting hurt, he's not physical, he gets over-powered by guys much smaller than he is, and he rarely goes over the middle.

I'd take L. Fitz or Andre Johnson over CJ any day.

August 16th, 2011, 12:33 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

wjb21ndtown wrote:
hamma77 wrote:
I understand yards are really important too but at the end of the day it's about getting in the end zone. Getting 400 yards as a team and scoring only 13 points does not mean your a good offense.

I don't see anyway numbers included he's not a top 5 receiver. I can understand the argument of him not being the best..but top 5 I don't get it.

His Mom literally yelled at him for getting hurt his rookie year. "It's a business" to him and his family. He doesn't play for the love of the game, he's afraid of getting hurt, he's not physical, he gets over-powered by guys much smaller than he is, and he rarely goes over the middle.

It's a business to every single player in the NFL, regardless of their love of the game.

August 16th, 2011, 1:18 pm
thelomasbrowns wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
hamma77 wrote:

It's a business to every single player in the NFL, regardless of their love of the game.

I wouldn't say that. If that's true then Payton Manning isnt' a good business person, neither is Jerry Rice. Those two, among others, have taken pay cuts to benefit their team. You can't even argue that Jerry Rice could have made more by taking his paycut, as he was at the end of his career, didn't really receive any more endorsement deals out of it, and never made the money back later. I think Drew Breese did something similar, but I could be wrong.

For Barry Sanders it wasn't a business. If it were he would have finished his lucrative contract. Barry played because he loved the game, and quit when his love for the game was taken from him by his inept team.

Some people play it because they love it. Some people play it to grab a fat paycheck. CJ is the latter, period.

August 16th, 2011, 1:46 pm

wjb21ndtown wrote:
Some people play it because they love it. Some people play it to grab a fat paycheck. CJ is the latter, period.

It's not a binary situation. You can love it and still mind the business aspect. I love the field I work in, but I wouldn't show up to work if I weren't getting paid.

Those examples you gave of people taking paycuts were to benefit the team, presumably with the understanding that more team success would bring more individual success.

August 16th, 2011, 2:01 pm
Hall of Fame Player

WOW!! I was surprized by this...

The Detroit News wrote:
Posted by Chris McCosky on Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 2:56 PM

Rating CJ after 4 years

Here's a look at where Calvin Johnson ranks after four years with four of the top five receivers of all time. I didn't include Isaac Bruce because he played in that funky run and shoot, so the reception stats are a little skewed. Remember, these numbers are after their first four seasons.

Randy Moss -- 300 rec., 5,396 yards, 17.9 avg., 53 TDs

Marvin Harrison -- 311 rec., 4,141 yards, 13.3 avg., 33 TDs

Jerry Rice -- 264 rec., 4,881 yards, 18.4 avg., 49 TDs

Calvin Johnson -- 270 rec., 4,191 yards, 14.5 avg., 33 TDs

Terrell Owens -- 222 rec., 3,307 yards, 14.8 avg., 30 TDs

From The Detroit News: http://apps.detnews.com/apps/blogs/lion ... z1VDRyWmPX

August 16th, 2011, 2:04 pm
Profile WWW
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

LionFan57 wrote:

The Detroit News wrote:

Rating CJ after 4 years

Here's a look at where Calvin Johnson ranks after four years with four of the top five receivers of all time. I didn't include Isaac Bruce because he played in that funky run and shoot, so the reception stats are a little skewed. Remember, these numbers are after their first four seasons.

Those stats are surprising and a lot of fans believe CJ has been left out of the game plan a lot, at least for the first couple of years.

August 16th, 2011, 2:12 pm
Pro Bowl Player

Nice to have ONE top pick WR pan out in a decade =D>

And honestly, did these WR have as many different QB's? I digress, Calvin's play speaks for itself. Lets all just see what happens if Stafford and Johnson are healthy for one season. That would give fuel to either side of the debate when the dust settles.

August 16th, 2011, 2:23 pm
Profile WWW
Heisman Winner

I don't think the different QB argument even works. When your a top WR you should be able to catch balls from anyone and most young and bad quarterbacks force the ball to their top playmaker. Of course that gets them in trouble but atleast the WR gets theirs.

I know I've said it a million times and someone even said it wasn't true, but guess we don't watch the same games. THE LIONS QUARTERBACKS DO NOT THROW TO CALVIN!!! Some stretches of games he does not get a single target the entire quarter. I believe one game last year they didn't even throw to him an entire half. Throw the ball up there if there is 11 guys on him, there is not a single excuse to throw the ball to Calvin ZERO times in a half.

August 16th, 2011, 2:43 pm
RIP Killer

LionFan57 wrote:

The Detroit News wrote:

Rating CJ after 4 years

This shows just what a freak Moss was, the most physically gifted WR I have ever seen. That said, throw in all the other stuff and Rice is still the GOAT.

August 16th, 2011, 2:44 pm
Profile WWW
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

I thought I'd look up the same stats for Larry Fitzgerald and Andre Johnson's first four years, since the three guys are so frequently compared:

Andre Johnson -- 311 rec., 3,953 yards, 12.7 avg., 16 TDs
Larry Fitzgerald -- 330 rec., 4,544 yards, 13.7 avg., 34 TDs

At least statistically speaking, these three belong in the same conversation. All three of them entered the league as high first round picks and none of them had good/consistent QB play during that time, yet still managed to dominate.

August 16th, 2011, 2:53 pm
RIP Killer

Nice little mention on CJ and fantasy value (mostly about CJ):

http://sports.espn.go.com/fantasy/footb ... 1_32qLions

Quote:
Whether or not you agree with analyst Cris Carter's assessment that Calvin Johnson is not one of the five best wide receivers playing today, when it comes to fantasy value, there's no denying that the man called Megatron is indeed an elite talent.

Since 2007, Johnson is one of only nine wide receivers who have scored more than 600 fantasy points, and after his second career 1,100-plus-yard, 12-touchdown season, he ranks sixth among active wideouts in that time. Considering that he had to go through three different starting quarterbacks in 2010 -- Matthew Stafford, Shaun Hill and Drew Stanton -- it's an amazing testament to his talents that Johnson tied for the fifth-highest score at his position for the season.

August 30th, 2011, 7:14 pm

LionFan57 wrote:

The Detroit News wrote:

Rating CJ after 4 years

wow what a soft list of players :Rolling:

August 30th, 2011, 9:05 pm
Cheerleader

If anyone caught Countdown's piece on the Lions tonight, you would have heard Chris Carter completely backtrack and say that Calvin must be double teamed. What a joke!

September 19th, 2011, 8:33 pm
Veteran General Manager

IslandLionsFan wrote:
If anyone caught Countdown's piece on the Lions tonight, you would have heard Chris Carter completely backtrack and say that Calvin must be double teamed. What a joke!

What do you expect from Vikings with only 1 extremely bushy eyebrow?

September 19th, 2011, 10:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next