View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 30th, 2014, 7:54 am

Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Has Cris Carter lost his mind? 
RIP Killer

Post Re: Has Cris Carter lost his mind?
IslandLionsFan wrote:
If anyone caught Countdown's piece on the Lions tonight, you would have heard Chris Carter completely backtrack and say that Calvin must be double teamed. What a joke!

Chris Carter can't review players, because no matter what he wants to try and compare them to himself, and his opinion of himself is that he taught God how to make men. He's an a$$hole, a meglamaniac, and he needs to be taken off of TV. I can't stand that self-absorbed prick.

September 20th, 2011, 9:14 am
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Well Cris Carter never did this, from CJs profile page on ESPN:

Quote:
From Elias: Calvin Johnson caught a pair of touchdown passes in the Lions' victory, just as he did in their two previous games this season. Johnson is the first player to catch two or more TD passes in each of a team's first three games of a season. In fact, only one other active player has recorded three straight games with two or more TD receptions at any point in any season: Dwayne Bowe last November. Over the last quarter-century, the only other receivers with three straight 2-TD games, all in victories, were Jerry Rice (1987 and 1993) and Randy Moss (2007).

September 26th, 2011, 7:43 am
National Champion

grgrundge wrote:
Well Cris Carter never did this, from CJs profile page on ESPN:

Quote:
From Elias: Calvin Johnson caught a pair of touchdown passes in the Lions' victory, just as he did in their two previous games this season. Johnson is the first player to catch two or more TD passes in each of a team's first three games of a season. In fact, only one other active player has recorded three straight games with two or more TD receptions at any point in any season: Dwayne Bowe last November. Over the last quarter-century, the only other receivers with three straight 2-TD games, all in victories, were Jerry Rice (1987 and 1993) and Randy Moss (2007).

Cool statistic. CJ is gonna have 18 TDs this year...

September 26th, 2011, 9:04 am
Heisman Winner

Nah 32+ :cheers:

September 26th, 2011, 10:17 am
I don't know if it is because we're winning, or if it is just a new over-all team attitude, but IMO CJ is stepping up this year and playing a lot better. When he dropped that bunny in the endzone at KC, he wanted the next ball to come to him, got it, and made up for it. He's taking the short passes and fighting through tackles, taking hits, and loving it. I haven't seen that out of him in previous seasons. He would seem to drop easy catches that weren't for big gains almost intentionally, to avoid the hit. Now he's making those plays, and playing with a sort of pride that I haven't seen out of him. It's a nice change of attitude/approach to the game from him.

September 26th, 2011, 12:18 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

hamma77 wrote:

Joking aside, Moss' record from 2007 is 23 TD catches. Even if Calvin doesn't keep up the current pace, he could threaten that record if he and Stafford play all 16 games.

September 26th, 2011, 12:56 pm
National Champion

mwill2 wrote:
hamma77 wrote:

Joking aside, Moss' record from 2007 is 23 TD catches. Even if Calvin doesn't keep up the current pace, he could threaten that record if he and Stafford play all 16 games.

To put it in perspective: In 2008, and 2010 he had 12 TDs each year. This year with only 3 games in he already has half that...

September 26th, 2011, 1:04 pm
League MVP

Quote:
Chris Carter can't review players, because no matter what he wants to try and compare them to himself, and his opinion of himself is that he taught God how to make men. He's an a$$hole, a meglamaniac, and he needs to be taken off of TV. I can't stand that self-absorbed prick.

your language is a little strong but I agree. I just cant respect that he made this list without watching tape but claimed that he watched tape...clearly he didnt

michael irvin doesnt have the best delivery but i respect his opinions much more than carter's. its a shame his personal problems are in the way bc he knows football very well

September 27th, 2011, 2:02 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

Love it!

Quote:
Matthew Stafford takes a shot at Cris Carter
Posted by Michael David Smith on September 27, 2011, 5:53 PM EDT
Cris Carterx-inset-community AP

Last month, former NFL receiver and current ESPN analyst Cris Carter questioned Detroit’s Calvin Johnson, saying he’s not an elite receiver. Carter later backtracked, and Johnson brushed it off, but Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford hasn’t forgotten.

On Twitter today, Stafford noted that Johnson has two touchdowns in all three of the Lions’ games this season, and he asked whether a fourth two-touchdown game against the Cowboys on Sunday might be enough to impress Carter.

Stafford’s tweet: “Does anyone think 8 tds in 4 weeks will change chris carters mind about an “elite” receiver? #megatron.”

Carter himself owns the all-time NFL record for consecutive two-touchdown games, with four in a row in 1995. If Johnson ties that record on Sunday, one would think Carter would reconsider his opinion that Johnson is only great in video games, not real football.

Or maybe Johnson will need to break Carter’s record, with two more two-touchdown games.

September 27th, 2011, 5:58 pm
RIP Killer

Calvin doesn't have to prove anything to anyone. Saying he's not an elite receiver is the same as saying that the Great Pyramid is not a Wonder of the World. Once you see it, there is no doubt.

I'm sick of hearing about Carter's comments, and seeing his Basset Hound-like face dumbing up the TV screen with his "insight". He was a great player, and that can never be taken from him. As a player analyst, he sucks donkey balls.

September 28th, 2011, 8:33 am
Modmin Dude

Siefert wrote:

September, 27, 2011
By Kevin Seifert

Earlier Tuesday, we broke down the sizzling start of Detroit Lions receiver Calvin Johnson from multiple angles. At around the same time, ESPN analyst Cris Carter was updating his assessment of Johnson's standing in a mythical and irrelevant ranking of the NFL's top receivers.

Speaking on ESPN's radio's "Mike & Mike Radio Show," Carter said Johnson is "playing at a top-5 level" and added: "He's a phenomenal player." But it sounds as if Carter didn't go far enough for many of you, most notably Johnson's quarterback.

Carter said there are "really four elite wide receivers" in the NFL: Greg Jennings of the Green Bay Packers, Roddy White of the Atlanta Falcons, Larry Fitzgerald of the Arizona Cardinals and Andre Johnson of the Houston Texans.

Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford was either listening or told about Carter's comment. Stafford's first tweet in about a month went like this:

Staff wrote:
Does anyone think 8 tds in 4 weeks will change chris carters mind about an "elite" receiver? #megatron

Johnson, of course, has six touchdowns in the Lions' first three games, giving Stafford's tweet an edgy projection about the two he would need to score Sunday against the Dallas Cowboys. Stay tuned on that one.

I covered Carter at the end of his career with the Minnesota Vikings, and I can tell you he's not opposed to riling people up for the sake of riling people up. I don't doubt the sincerity of his viewpoint, but I'll say this: Y'all are letting old Cris get under your skin when the actual slight to Johnson is mild at best.

Carter paid plenty of homage to Johnson in his appearance Tuesday morning, saying: "Now, Calvin Johnson is playing the best football of his career. He's getting single coverage now and he's beating single coverage. They had double-coverage in the red zone. Him and Stafford have great chemistry together. He is playing at a top-5 level. But before this season, he wasn't better than the other four guys. He's starting to come into his own, which he should be. ... He should be coming into his prime and he's only going to get better. He's a phenomenal player."

You can listen to Carter yourself on this podcast . The Johnson segment begins at about the 17-minute mark.

And now back to our regular programming....

September 28th, 2011, 9:48 am
QB Coach

Well, Carter basically called himself out this morning on Mike & Mike on ESPN. He did his morning version of "Come on, man" and he called out the Ryan brothers, Rob specifically, and himself for doubting CJ. He didn't flat out say CJ was the best, but he did say that right now, CJ is the king of the WRs in the NFL. So, there you have it.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

October 3rd, 2011, 8:03 am
RIP Killer

Touchdown Jesus wrote:
Well, Carter basically called himself out this morning on Mike & Mike on ESPN. He did his morning version of "Come on, man" and he called out the Ryan brothers, Rob specifically, and himself for doubting CJ. He didn't flat out say CJ was the best, but he did say that right now, CJ is the king of the WRs in the NFL. So, there you have it.

Not that any of us needed him to do that. He HAD to call himself out, because the fact is he was taking a bunch of heat, not just from Lions fans, for his ridiculous comment. At least he manned up. =D>

October 3rd, 2011, 8:46 am
Junior Varsity

Agreed m2k, he really had no choice but to eat some crow. He was catching hell from every angle over this.

October 3rd, 2011, 10:24 am
Div 1 - Starter

Took him long enough. To think if he had just said "oops, forgot about him" at the beginning this would have been a non-issue.

October 3rd, 2011, 9:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next