View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 23rd, 2014, 7:43 am

Reply to topic  [ 603 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41  Next
 Killer's Korner 
Rookie Player of the Year

Post Re: Killer's Korner
kdsberman wrote:
Glad I don't drink.

Glad I do...at home. :D :lol: :arrow: :idea:

August 20th, 2014, 4:45 pm
RIP Killer

negative take on Stafford from Pack fan/SB Nation...

Quote:
2014 NFC North Preview: How Megatron Fooled the Detroit Lions' Front Office

Our guest contributor is back to scout the enemy with his third and final preview of the Packers' NFC North rival teams, this time looking to the East and giving his opinions on why Matthew Stafford is actually hurting the Lions offense instead of helping it.

Of the two biggest changes the Lions made this year, the more important is almost certainly Jim Caldwell replacing Jim Schwartz. Caldwell brings with him a reputation as a quarterback guru, and Detroit is collectively hoping his staff can turn around one of the most undisciplined and - let's face it - hilarious teams in recent football memory. It's not just that the Lions collapsed last year. It's not just that they perennially fail to live up to the hype created by their big name stars. It's that no one seems to fail quite like the Detroit Lions. From fumbled snaps to frequent unnecessary roughness penalties to baffling interceptions and incredibly ill-timed fumbles in the snow, the Lions under Schwartz more often than not went out of their way to lose.

Defense

It's easy to blame this kind of thing on the head coach and I understand the hope that things will improve in a new regime. Coaching changes do matter and discipline can matter. Few doubt that working under Tom Coughlin is different than working under Lovie Smith. The problem as I see it for the Lions is that I believe some of their players are simply bad people. Compounding the problem, they are frequently difficult-to-bench bad people. Ndamukong Suh and Nick Fairley help to make up one of the stoutest defensive lines in football. They are also people who have shown a tendency to fly off the handle and stomp on opponents. You can attempt to impose discipline on them, but that often means taking them off the field, which makes the Lions much worse in terms of the talent on said field. It's a bit of a catch-22.

Discipline aside, the Lions boast what was by far the best defense in the division a year ago - they were the only unit in the NFC North that finished better than 25th in Football Outsiders' DVOA (they were 14th). They were not without their weaknesses (see this post from last season), but they were extremely stout against the run and fair against the pass most of the time. If Rashean Mathis is still a prominent member of the secondary they may struggle in that area, but there is some young talent that may develop (Darius Slay) and their front seven is capable of covering for a lot.

Furthermore, they were one of the few teams in the North that could routinely generate some kind of pass rush without blitzing. When you consider that the three contenders in the 2013 NFC North all possessed good-to-great offenses (when healthy) and that, of the three only the Lions possessed any semblance of a defense, it is downright shocking that they collapsed. It's in their nature, as previously mentioned, but there's more to this story. Let's move on to what I like to call:

Offense: The Megatron Effect

Calvin Johnson doesn't get enough credit. That may sound insane as even the national media calls him "Megatron" and he is widely regarded as the games greatest receiver, yet it's entirely true. In football the hardest part about working with statistics is deciding who gets credit for what. There are so many moving parts that assigning blame and credit always requires some guesswork, and we tend to default to the idea that on offense the quarterback deserves most of the blame and most of the credit. Generally speaking this is a good idea. The problem is that every so often you run into a situation like the Detroit Lions.

In his last 3 seasons Matthew Stafford has started all 16 games and averaged 403 completions, 680 attempts (59.2%), 4808 yards, 24 TDs and 18 picks a year. In 2010 Stafford missed most of the season. The Lions saw Shaun Hill and Drew Stanton start 13 games in his absence. If you combine their numbers and project them out to a full 16 game season, Shrew Stanhill had 401 completions in 658 attempts (61%), 4266 yards, 24 TDs and 18 picks. Consider also that Shrew, the definition of a replacement level quarterback, was playing with a still developing (but very good) Johnson while Stafford has had peak-Megatron. While these numbers superficially look pretty good, you can make a strong case that given the level of support in Detroit that Stafford has been barely (if at all) above replacement level. That's the effect that Calvin Johnson can have on a team.

I would usually resort to throwing some advanced stats here about Stafford's true performance, and while both Pro Football Focus and Football Outsiders don't see Stafford as one of the best in the business, they do generally see him as top ten. Personally, I think they hugely overrate Stafford. It is difficult to prove because of all the reasons previously listed, but when you consider that in addition to Megatron he also has a better supporting cast than old Shrew, the shine starts to come off of the video game numbers that Stafford has managed to put up over the last 3 years. There are certain quarterbacks who are able to function with just about any competent supporting cast, and there's a subset that can only be successful with the right tools. The Matt Ryans and Andy Daltons of the world live in this tier along with Stafford.

In many ways Stafford is emblematic of the terrible luck, bad timing, and incompetence of the recent Lions.* Stafford in 2009 and Suh in 2010 were both picked and signed under the old CBA, which allowed for highly paid rookies and often worked as a trap for bad teams trying to rebuild. They combined to receive over $80 million in guaranteed money on their rookie deals. Compounding this problem was the fact that while both are useful players, neither are really stars, at least in my opinion. In the case of Stafford this problem was made even worse by the Calvin Johnson effect, and this is what I mean when I say he doesn't get enough credit.

* By recent I mean "for their entire existence."

Receivers, even great ones, do not make nearly as much as quarterbacks, and mistaking receiver production for quarterback production can be expensive. Every dollar of value you mistakenly assign to a quarterback instead of a receiver is multiplied when it comes time to negotiate a contract. Before the 2013 season, the Lions extended Stafford for another $41.5 million of guaranteed money. If you subscribe to the theory that Stafford is probably mediocre at best, it is a heck of a lot of money to tie up in him, even if it's not necessarily as ridiculous as the Flacco or Romo deals. Moreover, it is a symptom of a team failing to recognize quarterback as a problem area in the first place.

To summarize, Stafford is an inefficient volume passer. He routinely puts up great fantasy numbers because he frequently leads the league in attempts, but he rarely exceeds a 60% completion percentage and almost always throws more than one interception per game. He also usually fumbles five or six times a season, and had a disastrous 12 last year.

Many pundits believe that Detroit will improve because they've finally found a complement for Calvin Johnson in Golden Tate, but this drastically underrates the supporting cast he had a year ago. Both Joique Bell and Reggie Bush are very good receivers out of the backfield and they have thrown on the field some tight ends who are at least competent receivers. Subjectively speaking, I'm also not sure that Johnson needs the help that much. It's certainly not bad to have a better second receiver, but it may also take some valuable targets away from Johnson.

In short, Johnson's biggest enemy isn't coverage - it's Stafford. Megatron is so great at making circus catches, at going up and getting balls, that it lets his quarterback off the hook. Stafford rarely puts the ball in an ideal spot, often robbing Johnson of forward momentum and putting him in harm's way. Golden Tate is unlikely to fix this problem, and is himself very likely to suffer at Stafford's hand.

Is Golden Tate an improvement over the Lions' other number two wideouts in recent years? Yes, he almost certainly is. Does he fix a fundamental problem? No, I believe he does not. The fundamental problem with the Lions is that they think they have a star at the most important position in the game when, what they actually have, is the equivalent of Sam Bradford with much better weapons. Stafford is a basically a parasite on their offense. If Calvin Johnson starts to decline or gets hurt, the Lions will quickly find themselves with a bottom-ten quarterback. Last year Johnson missed two games, both against bad defenses. The first was a 22-9 loss to the Packers in which Stafford threw for 262 yards and 1 TD with no interceptions. Stafford's TD came in garbage time with the Packers merely trying to kill the clock. The other game Johnson missed was against the Vikings in the last game of the season, a 14-13 loss in which Stafford threw for 217 yards, 1 TD and no picks. By most metrics (and the eye test) the Packers and Vikings had atrocious defenses.

It's certainly possible that the Lions improve. There is some room for the defense to get better, they may be able to shape up the locker room, and Golden Tate is a quality player, but given the potential improvement across the division and the fact that they employ the Antoine Walker of the NFL at quarterback I'm still immensely skeptical of the Lions, and probably will continue to be so until Stafford is gone. If they finish below the Vikings it won't surprise me a bit.

August 22nd, 2014, 1:32 pm
Profile WWW
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

this is the article we are discussing in the predicion thread.

August 23rd, 2014, 10:58 am
League MVP

well that was fast...just read about michael egnew getting cut by the dolphins in the Turk thread and guess who claimed him. a big fast no block TE with speed

http://www.thephinsider.com/2014/8/25/6 ... ff-waivers

August 25th, 2014, 5:30 pm
Varsity 1st Team

The Legend wrote:
well that was fast...just read about michael egnew getting cut by the dolphins in the Turk thread and guess who claimed him. a big fast no block TE with speed

http://www.thephinsider.com/2014/8/25/6 ... ff-waivers

Ummm.........?????????

August 26th, 2014, 7:12 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

August 28th, 2014, 9:05 am
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

I wonder what we are offering to trade....
Draft picks?
Fairly?
......Suh?

August 28th, 2014, 9:09 am
Hall of Fame Player

thelomasbrowns wrote:

I hate it when someone announces trade rumors and then gives you nothing other than there is trade rumors. Spit out some details on who they are looking at.

We might be able to trade Ogletree and Fuller to Cleveland who is scrambling for WR's. They have 2 stellar CB's starting for them, Maybe we can get their #3 or 4 CB.

Ogletree can be a possession WR and Fuller can stretch the field for them.

Buster Skrine or Isaiah Trufant anyone?

August 28th, 2014, 9:24 am
NFL Veteran

BillySims wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:

I hate it when someone announces trade rumors and then gives you nothing other than there is trade rumors. Spit out some details on who they are looking at.

We might be able to trade Ogletree and Fuller to Cleveland who is scrambling for WR's. They have 2 stellar CB's starting for them, Maybe we can get their #3 or 4 CB.

Ogletree can be a possession WR and Fuller can stretch the field for them.

Buster Skrine or Isaiah Trufant anyone?

I don't see any reason the browns would want more back up WRs. They already have 3 on their roster that are having to step up due to the loss of Gordon. They are going to be looking for someone that can fill in as a number 1 of some sort. If they can't make some kind of bigger deal then they have no reason to do anything other than look at whatever bodies get released during the last set of cuts.

August 28th, 2014, 5:30 pm
RIP Killer

MLive wrote:
Detroit Lions' Nick Fairley hired personal chef after demotion

ALLEN PARK -- Detroit Lions defensive tackle Nick Fairley thought he could manage his weight on his own. He was wrong.

Fairley declined advice to hire a personal chef last year during OTAs, and instead played much of the season north of 320 pounds. He did slim to 295 pounds during minicamp this year, but ballooned back up to more than 320 pounds during training camp.

He was demoted to the second team for the final three weeks of the preseason. And that, finally, got his attention. He can't do this on his own.

So after Fairley was demoted, he hired a personal chef to manage his diet.

"That's something that we been having in plan since even OTAs last year," Fairley said after Monday's practice. "I just never really got along with it. I felt like I could do it on my own. But I went to him afterwards and said, 'Look, let's give it a shot. Give it a try.'"

The chef prepares a week's worth of meals, then stuffs them in Fairley's freezer. Fairley brings his breakfast and lunch to the Lions' training facility, and eats dinner at home.

His diet includes meat loaf, baked potatoes, salmon, stir fry and chicken.

The move has worked. Fairley has slimmed back to 305 pounds, which he says is his ideal playing weight. And the club has rewarded his efforts by reinstating him on the first team for the opener next Monday against the New York Giants.

"Felt real good," he said. "Preseason, that's when you knock off the rust coming into the season. I just feel like those last three preseason games, got my rest up, and now I'm ready to go for Monday Night Football."

The key, though, is to avoid the kind of yo-yo back up the scale that has plagued him in the past.

Fairley is a former first-round pick who oozes talent, but he's had trouble maintaining a high level of play either because of injury or performance issues. He hopes to maintain his current weight, which could lead to a more consistent performance in his contract year.

His track record isn't good, but taking a proactive approach with a personal chef is a sign he's trying to get his life in order.

"I wouldn't say nothin' changed (after the demotion)," Fairley said. "It just opened my eyes up that I need to play more consistent."

September 4th, 2014, 9:52 am
Profile WWW
QB Coach

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -kong-suh/

Apparently Cam Newton had a strange press conference discussing this weeks game

September 10th, 2014, 10:58 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Well, we have Megatron. Why not Donkey Kong? LOL

September 10th, 2014, 11:20 pm
Modmin Dude

ESPN wrote:
Lions sign Kellen Davis, cut Jerome Couplin
October, 20, 2014
By Michael Rothstein | ESPN.com

ALLEN PARK, Mich. -- The Detroit Lions were prepared in case this situation happened. And with their tight end corps in disarray, they have brought in another player just a few hours before leaving for London.

The Lions signed tight end Kellen Davis and cut safety Jerome Couplin Monday, while also adding receiver Ifeanyi Momah to their practice squad.

Davis, who was a fifth-round pick of the Bears in 2008 out of Michigan State, has played in 95 games between Chicago and Seattle, making 50 catches for 561 yards and 12 touchdowns.

This was the type of situation Detroit had been preparing for with workouts for weeks, including bringing Davis in Thursday for a tryout after Eric Ebron injured his hamstring.

“You have your short list ready,” Lions team president Tom Lewand told ESPN.com. “So the fact that we’re going (to London) a little bit later (in the year) will help us. We’ve already got the book built on a number of different positions, including physicals and workout information and all that kind of stuff.”

Tight end happens to be Detroit’s biggest area of concern after the Saints game. The Lions went into the game down Ebron (hamstring) and Joseph Fauria (ankle) and with only two healthy tight ends in Brandon Pettigrew and Jordan Thompson.

Pettigrew then was injured in the game but finished, so the Lions were down to one healthy tight end, Thompson, who has played one career game.

“I’m always concerned about numbers, particularly in places where we can get thin there,” Lions coach Jim Caldwell said. “So that’s a concern. But yeah, (Pettigrew) was hobbling, but the effort he put forth to finish that game out was quite admirable.

“But those are the type of guys that we have. They are tough and get after it and find a way.”

Lewand said the team will have people at their facility in Allen Park, Michigan, on Monday and Tuesday to work players out if necessary and, in a worst-case scenario, watching a player on video could be an option before potentially signing him and flying him over to London.

Caldwell said Monday that general manager Martin Mayhew has also been asking questions about passports to players the team works out on Tuesdays, just in case they would need them for this trip.

“It’d be quite a task if we didn’t have the Tuesdays like we have,” Caldwell said. “Generally, Martin has done a tremendous job, for reasons like this, of staying ahead of the curve with anything that you ask him to.

“We have a pool that we work with that we know who the next guy in line is at a number of different spots, wherever it might be. You really don’t know until you come out of a ballgame.”

Coming out of Sunday, tight end was that area.

Couplin had been primarily a special-teams player the past few weeks, and he has made two tackles in seven games.

Momah, who is 6-foot-7, has been with the Philadelphia Eagles and Cleveland Browns in the past.

http://espn.go.com/blog/detroit-lions/p ... me-couplin
So much for all the TEs they had when the season started.....

October 20th, 2014, 3:10 pm
RIP Killer

I don't know why they're so worried about tight ends. Lombardi doesn't use them anyway. Ebron, at this point, is a wasted pick. So was Van Noy and Swanson at this stage. Possibly the worst draft Mayhew has had since he's been here. First rounders not playing QB should contribute immediately. And if you trade up to get a player in round two, that person should contribute immediately as well. I understand Van Noy is hurt and that is the reason for his not playing. But realistically, will he be that much better than what we have already? And while I didn't expect Swanson to be a starter or play much, is he even seeing the field on special teams?

October 20th, 2014, 6:06 pm
League MVP

m2karateman wrote:
I don't know why they're so worried about tight ends. Lombardi doesn't use them anyway. Ebron, at this point, is a wasted pick. So was Van Noy and Swanson at this stage. Possibly the worst draft Mayhew has had since he's been here. First rounders not playing QB should contribute immediately. And if you trade up to get a player in round two, that person should contribute immediately as well. I understand Van Noy is hurt and that is the reason for his not playing. But realistically, will he be that much better than what we have already? And while I didn't expect Swanson to be a starter or play much, is he even seeing the field on special teams?

sorry but i think this post is premature. van noy has a relatively minor injury and i d say it was pretty tough to foresee whitehead taking the major step up that he has this season. still with travis lewis and tulloch on IR, the depth is needed. josh bynes played quite poorly yesterday and whitehead made some mistakes in coverage yesterday. van noy didnt look like a world beater in the preseason but if whitehead becomes the new MLB for next season with levy and van noy on the outsides then its hardly a wasted pick. ebron was drafted as a raw talent, call it what you want but wasted pick 7 games in when he s the 4th or 5th option at best in an offense with some big names makes little sense to me. the offense needs a vertical threat with size and speed to test the safeties and there just arent many guys around that have his skill set. swanson needs the year to build on his strength, obviously sims is declining and raiola isnt going to play forever. there is a natural progression plan in place for him. i guess bc you like to focus on the draft immediately after the first loss of the season (or maybe even first Stafford turnover) you also develop quite a bit of impatience and dont realize the drafts typically need a few years to be judged...

October 20th, 2014, 6:14 pm
Reply to topic   [ 603 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41  Next