View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 14th, 2018, 7:01 pm

Reply to topic  [ 702 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44 ... 47  Next
 Killer's Korner 
RIP Killer

Post Re: Killer's Korner
The Legend wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
I don't know why they're so worried about tight ends. Lombardi doesn't use them anyway. Ebron, at this point, is a wasted pick. So was Van Noy and Swanson at this stage. Possibly the worst draft Mayhew has had since he's been here. First rounders not playing QB should contribute immediately. And if you trade up to get a player in round two, that person should contribute immediately as well. I understand Van Noy is hurt and that is the reason for his not playing. But realistically, will he be that much better than what we have already? And while I didn't expect Swanson to be a starter or play much, is he even seeing the field on special teams?

sorry but i think this post is premature. van noy has a relatively minor injury and i d say it was pretty tough to foresee whitehead taking the major step up that he has this season. still with travis lewis and tulloch on IR, the depth is needed. josh bynes played quite poorly yesterday and whitehead made some mistakes in coverage yesterday. van noy didnt look like a world beater in the preseason but if whitehead becomes the new MLB for next season with levy and van noy on the outsides then its hardly a wasted pick. ebron was drafted as a raw talent, call it what you want but wasted pick 7 games in when he s the 4th or 5th option at best in an offense with some big names makes little sense to me. the offense needs a vertical threat with size and speed to test the safeties and there just arent many guys around that have his skill set. swanson needs the year to build on his strength, obviously sims is declining and raiola isnt going to play forever. there is a natural progression plan in place for him. i guess bc you like to focus on the draft immediately after the first loss of the season (or maybe even first Stafford turnover) you also develop quite a bit of impatience and dont realize the drafts typically need a few years to be judged...

It still comes down to the fact that when Ebron was selected, it was stated that he would be a playmaker for this offense and would contribute immediately. While his contributions are there, I wouldn't call them tremendous. There was no way for the Lions to know Tulloch and Lewis would go on IR, so it's not like Van Noy was picked for depth. He was supposed to be a pass rusher from the OLB spot for this team in the new defense. I don't really think they need that.

I understand my viewpoint is jaded because I didn't like the Ebron pick when it was made, and I still don't really like it. The point is, the tight ends aren't being used very well in this offense like they were in Linehan's. Is that because of it being a new scheme and they haven't instituted much of that portion yet? Possibly. If that is the case, shame on Lombardi. You got a young pass catching tight end with speed, and you're not making much use of him. Is Ebron struggling with the playbook? High first round picks are supposed to have a high football IQ.

If, as you say, Ebron is the fourth or fifth option in the offense, why pick him? We already had two tight ends that could fit the bill as fourth or fifth options. Using a top ten pick on a player that is going to be your fourth or fifth option is a stupid move. Better to have used it on someone who would contribute more to the offense.

In time, this could end up being a great draft. Right now, not so much.

October 20th, 2014, 6:27 pm
Veteran NFL Head Coach

1st round TEs tend not to produce early. Every team claims it had the best draft and exactly the guys they wanted in pretty much any round right after the draft. I dont buy into any of that stuff. Early in camp and even rookie camps it was apparent that Ebron was raw. I think you are right he doesnt know the playbook in and out but i think it again has to do with how diverse the responsibilities of the position are and thats reflected in that college TEs rarely break out in the first year. Still with Calvin constantly nicked up and Bush in decline, they need someone with high end size/speed breakout potential on the offense. So even though he s the 5th mouth to feed now he could easily be in the top 3 next season and the top dog two years from now. They dont necessarily need it right now (though it would be great) but I agree its a shame that Lombardi cant give him a limited playbook to at least be more of a role player ie vertical seam throws/splitting the safeties. There is some level of skepticism with all the picks Ill give you that. I see it less with Ebron than the other two though. Van Noy maybe looked like not quite a good enough athlete in preseason and Swanson at times looked no better than the undrafted guys they had playing next to him on the 2nd and 3rd preseason OL. Still, the fact that Ebron and Swanson arent playing has more to do with the exisiting talent level on the team compared to previous years than a solid verdict that they were throwaway picks.

October 20th, 2014, 7:47 pm
NFL Team Captain

Seems premature to make judgements about what Ebron, Van Noy, and Swanson will be to this team after 7 games. I am not a big fan of Mayhews drafts, but you got to give the kids some time to adapt.

October 22nd, 2014, 7:35 pm
Player of the Year - Offense

"Good teams don't worry about a whole lot of stuff. They travel, they play, they win. And it doesn't matter where they go, what the time block is, all those kinds of things. They never seem to bother teams that play well, and we want to be one of those teams." -Jim Caldwell

October 29th, 2014, 2:05 pm
Def. Coordinator – Teryl Austin

liontrax wrote:
Seems premature to make judgements about what Ebron, Van Noy, and Swanson will be to this team after 7 games. I am not a big fan of Mayhews drafts, but you got to give the kids some time to adapt.

I like seeing Swanson in on Jumbo Packages. There is no substitution for real game experience!

October 29th, 2014, 3:46 pm

regularjoe12 wrote:
liontrax wrote:

I like seeing Swanson in on Jumbo Packages. There is no substitution for real game experience!

Me too. That approach worked well with Reiff.

"Good teams don't worry about a whole lot of stuff. They travel, they play, they win. And it doesn't matter where they go, what the time block is, all those kinds of things. They never seem to bother teams that play well, and we want to be one of those teams." -Jim Caldwell

October 29th, 2014, 3:55 pm
#1 Overall Pick

Grantland 2013 draft do-over: http://grantland.com/features/the-2013-nfl-redraft/

Pick 2 (consensus): Ansah
Pick 9 or 15 (depending on the writer): Slay
Pick 13 (consensus): Warford

We also got:

Devin Taylor (solid contributor to an impressive unit)
Sam Martin (excellent, regardless of what Billy says)
Corey Fuller (developing well)
Waddle (excellent first season, slipped the second although the whole unit has)
Fauria (TDs and dances, what's not to like?)

About time we hit on a draft.

October 30th, 2014, 5:06 pm
NFL Team Captain

UK Lion wrote:
Grantland 2013 draft do-over: http://grantland.com/features/the-2013-nfl-redraft/

We also got:

You forgot to add Riddick, and yes that seems to be Mayhews best draft.

October 30th, 2014, 7:29 pm
Def. Coordinator – Teryl Austin

UK Lion wrote:

We also got:

Bolded Part: AH HAHAhahahaahahahhaa I hope that joke never dies!

October 31st, 2014, 8:59 am
RIP Killer

SI MMQB wrote:
The Lions don’t make the dumb mistakes anymore

Detroit has been winning the games they lost a year ago, and Sunday against Miami was a perfect example.

Tie game, 4:31 to play, Miami ball, third-and-goal at the Detroit two. Ryan Tannehill slid right, looking for an open receiver in the end zone, and tight end Charles Clay suddenly clapped his hands. I’m open! Tannehill threw a dart. Clay caught it—but in flew safety James Ihedigbo, the former Belichick and John Harbaugh safety, to punch the ball out of Clay’s hands. Miami settled for a field goal.

Trailing 16-13, Detroit at its 27, second-and-nine. Stafford was at the line for eight, 10, 12 seconds, trying to read the seven men who juked and stopped and started on the other side. The blitz was on. “They had eight up,” Stafford said from Detroit. (I counted seven, but found out Stafford was right on NFL Game Rewind early this morning. Safety Reshad Jones left his perch over the right tackle when Stafford changed the protection, and it turned out five men rushed and two more dropped at the snap.) “I ended up switching protections three times, and then Golden [Tate] did a great job beating the coverage over the middle.”
At the two-minute warning, Detroit had advanced to the Miami 38, and Stafford and offensive coordinator Joe Lombardi met at the sideline. “We’re close, and we’re almost in field-goal range” Lombardi told him, “but let’s try to go win this thing now.”

Stafford worked his way down to the Miami 11 with 36 seconds left. If he could, he was going to try to find a sliver of space to get the ball into Calvin Johnson. (Who wouldn’t?) Again, the Dolphins put eight men near the line. This time they dropped eight and rushed only three. Off the line, Dion Jordan—who spent some time actually covering Johnson in this game—was on Johnson here, on the biggest play of the game, as he left the right flank and began running upfield. Jordan was joined by a safety. “Looked like a blitz at first, but only three came, and they doubled Calvin,” said Stafford. “So I had to do something else.”

What followed is not a play many quarterbacks can make. Stafford is a different breed on the run. He can throw going to his left and his right accurately, on the run and making sudden stops. “He’s got more ability to throw the ball from different angles than any quarterback in the league,” Dan Fouts said on CBS, and I agree. This time the rush forced him left. Stafford spied running back Theo Riddick, the 2013 sixth-round back from Notre Dame, with maybe a quarter-step of an edge on Reshad Jones inside the five-yard line along the left sideline. “Theo’s a confident kid,” Stafford said, “And I can count on him to make the right decision, be in the right spot. When I start to run around, it becomes a little bit of backyard football, and I thought I could get the ball into him.”

Stafford, moving laterally left, flicked the ball sidearm. Perfect spiral. Landed right in a sliding Riddick’s gut five yards into the end zone. Touchdown. Ballgame.

For the third straight game, the Lions won a game they’d trailed late in the fourth quarter. And that, players and staff say, is a direct result of some of the mind games new coach Jim Caldwell is playing.

Caldwell might be one of those rarities in the NFL—a coach who is better-suited to be a head coach than a coordinator. He worked to mixed reviews as Baltimore’s offensive coordinator last year (the Ravens were 25th in the NFL in scoring, at a paltry 20 points per game), but the Lions saw him as the perfect remedy to the up-and-down, discipline-challenged team that he would inherit. Caldwell can be an impassioned speaker, but much like one of his career mentors, Tony Dungy, he’s a flatliner who doesn’t threaten loudly. If you don’t do things his way, you’ll be gone—but it will be done civilly.

Detroit led in the fourth quarter of its last seven games last season—and won one of those games. This year the Lions are turning it over less (last nine games last year: 26 turnovers; first nine games this year: 12 turnovers) and winning more. They are 7-2 and heading to the desert this week for a showdown with the 8-1 Cardinals.

“We were frank and honest with the players from the moment we walked in the door,” Caldwell said from his office the other day. “In this league, we see it every year: Teams lose games in the NFL more than they win them. We brought in players and coaches from winning backgrounds—James Ihedigbo and Glover Quin [from Houston], Golden Tate from Seattle, [coordinators] Joe Lombardi from the Saints and Teryl Austin from the Ravens.”

Caldwell introduced a twice-weekly part of team meetings: The High Cost of Low Living. Each meeting, he’d have an example, culled from the internet or newspaper by longtime senior VP of communications Bill Keenist or someone else on staff, of an athlete or famous person being arrested or doing something stupid publicly. “Common-sense lessons,” said Caldwell. “Like, ‘Don’t be out after 1 a.m.’ Tony [Dungy] used to do something like this. He’d say, ‘If you want to stay out of the USA Today, don’t do this,’ and he’d show guys who made mistakes. They’re all things that happen that can be avoided. It’s education that helps your players stay on the field.”

And when they mess up, as defensive tackle C.J. Mosley did in London, reportedly smoking marijuana on the trip, but absent of a test proving it, Caldwell acted quickly. He sent Mosley home and benched him for two games.

“I just think discipline is important,” he said. “It shows up in games.”

Caldwell also took all positions groups out to dinner, one a week, during the offseason. He’d let the players pick the restaurants, then spend two to three hours getting to know them. “Their favorite movies, their favorite book, their families. I’d ask them, ‘Who’s the best point guard in the NBA?’ We’d get some great discussions going. Just to get to know the players as men, as people, is so important. I read a lot, and I always have believed something General Patton says is important: ‘Take care of your men.’ ”

Stafford said he feels the respect from Caldwell. “He teaches the important things,” Stafford said. “Poise and confidence. Those are really important traits to him.”

Those are traits these Lions are playing with now. We’ll see if they last for the long haul. Last season, Detroit was 6-2 after eight games and it didn’t last. The proof with Caldwell will be known in a couple of months.

November 10th, 2014, 2:46 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran NFL Head Coach

but they do make the stupid mistakes still. they miss field goals like none other, they blow blocking assignments, they throw INTs, they get kicks blocked at the worst possible times, they miss on fake punts, they have terrible penalties killing drives all game long, etc. the difference is that they dont accept these mistakes as excuses, they keep fighting, they keep hustling, they dont let one mistake get them down and cause a vicious cycle of worse and worse mistakes. they also have had a fair share of injuries, going down to 5th TE, 4th OT, etc - the excuses are there but this team is refusing to use excuses. they are winning in spite of many of the things that they would have allowed to let them crumble in past years. thats why i think this team is difft, they are resilient but they still make plenty of mistakes.

November 11th, 2014, 11:08 am
RIP Killer

The Legend wrote:
but they do make the stupid mistakes still. they miss field goals like none other, they blow blocking assignments, they throw INTs, they get kicks blocked at the worst possible times, they miss on fake punts, they have terrible penalties killing drives all game long, etc. the difference is that they dont accept these mistakes as excuses, they keep fighting, they keep hustling, they dont let one mistake get them down and cause a vicious cycle of worse and worse mistakes. they also have had a fair share of injuries, going down to 5th TE, 4th OT, etc - the excuses are there but this team is refusing to use excuses. they are winning in spite of many of the things that they would have allowed to let them crumble in past years. thats why i think this team is difft, they are resilient but they still make plenty of mistakes.

I agree with everything you said. But just to make sure it is understood, the Lions don't have to make excuses because they are winning games. Only losing teams are forced to make excuses.

November 13th, 2014, 6:39 pm

I think everyone should be giving Mayhew more credit. With a capable coach who has the team's support, all of a sudden people are starting to recognize how talented our roster is.

November 14th, 2014, 11:09 am
RIP Killer

thelomasbrowns wrote:
I think everyone should be giving Mayhew more credit. With a capable coach who has the team's support, all of a sudden people are starting to recognize how talented our roster is.

And what credit goes to Mayhew? Remember, the head coach we have was the back up plan. Mayhew wanted Whisenhunt (as did most of us, including myself), but the Lions were unwilling to allow him to dismantle the defense to change to a 3-4 scheme. That was pretty much the only brilliant move, not allowing the incoming coach to rebuild a defense that didn't need rebuilding. Caldwell was the second choice.

November 14th, 2014, 2:19 pm

m2karateman wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:

And what credit goes to Mayhew? Remember, the head coach we have was the back up plan. Mayhew wanted Whisenhunt (as did most of us, including myself), but the Lions were unwilling to allow him to dismantle the defense to change to a 3-4 scheme. That was pretty much the only brilliant move, not allowing the incoming coach to rebuild a defense that didn't need rebuilding. Caldwell was the second choice.

I'm not talking about the coaching hire. I'm talking about the quality of the roster.

November 14th, 2014, 2:28 pm
Reply to topic   [ 702 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44 ... 47  Next