View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 17th, 2017, 3:21 pm



Reply to topic  [ 702 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47  Next
 Killer's Korner 
Author Message
Online
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Joined: November 28th, 2007, 12:50 pm
Posts: 2261
Location: Newport Beach, Ca
Post Re: Killer's Korner
thelomasbrowns wrote:
Wow:


With Wilson and Diggs it was just a matter of time before this happened. He has never managed to stay on the field long enough to give them reason to keep him.


June 18th, 2015, 3:38 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: August 6th, 2004, 9:21 am
Posts: 10004
Location: Dallas
Post Re: Killer's Korner
3rd round pick bites the dust...

_________________
Image
LB Tweet


June 18th, 2015, 4:34 pm
Profile WWW
Varsity 1st Team
User avatar

Joined: October 23rd, 2005, 11:58 am
Posts: 277
Location: Quebec City, Quebec
Post Re: Killer's Korner
rao wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:
Wow:


With Wilson and Diggs it was just a matter of time before this happened. He has never managed to stay on the field long enough to give them reason to keep him.


Some other team will bring him in pretty quick as camp fodder.

_________________
I was at this casino minding my own business, and this guy came up to me and said, "You're gonna have to move, you're blocking a fire exit." As though if there was a fire, I wasn't gonna run. If you're flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit


June 18th, 2015, 9:45 pm
Profile
QB Coach - Brian Callahan

Joined: September 25th, 2007, 3:20 am
Posts: 3241
Post Re: Killer's Korner
It's no real surprise if you've been following OTA and camp progress. With Bentley and Lawson sitting with injuries, Diggs was getting majority of snaps and he's impressed. Bentley has talent, but he just can't stay healthy.


June 19th, 2015, 7:43 am
Profile
Online
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Joined: November 28th, 2007, 12:50 pm
Posts: 2261
Location: Newport Beach, Ca
Post Re: Killer's Korner
PFT wrote:
Taylor Mays joins the Lions
Posted by Mike Florio on June 20, 2015, 8:39 AM EDT

Taylor Mays has left the Vikings, but he won’t be leaving the NFC North.

Agent Fadde Mikhail tells ESPN’s Adam Schefter that Mays has agreed to a deal with the Lions.

Mays, who spent one year with the 49ers and four with the Bengals, has started only four games since his rookie season, when he started six times. He joined the Vikings in March as an unrestricted free agent, reuniting with former Bengals defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer.

But the Vikings obviously didn’t like what they saw during the offseason program. Now, Mays will have to make the Lions like what they see in training camp and the preseason. Otherwise, he’ll be available once again.


Here's a body to fill one of the opened roster spots after the releases of Bentley and the RB Williams. If the coaching staff could work a little magic in training camp Mays could be a very good back up safety and ST player. Mays is such a beast physically and athletically, he's a real nice pick up to just roll the dice on in camp.


June 20th, 2015, 11:08 am
Profile
Rookie Player of the Year

Joined: March 5th, 2009, 8:42 pm
Posts: 2422
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Post Re: Killer's Korner
Looks like no Antonio Gates for SD week 1

_________________
Just one Super Bowl win before I go!


July 2nd, 2015, 7:02 pm
Profile
Player of the Year - Offense
User avatar

Joined: August 24th, 2010, 9:54 pm
Posts: 2867
Post Re: Killer's Korner
Image

_________________
"Good teams don't worry about a whole lot of stuff. They travel, they play, they win. And it doesn't matter where they go, what the time block is, all those kinds of things. They never seem to bother teams that play well, and we want to be one of those teams." -Jim Caldwell


August 4th, 2015, 12:24 pm
Profile
#1 Overall Pick

Joined: October 19th, 2005, 1:24 pm
Posts: 1468
Location: Nottingham, England
Post Re: Killer's Korner
Good reports on Abdullah:

Quote:
A half-decade ago, Detroit fans watched promising young running backs Jahvid Best and Mikel Leshoure go down with hard-luck, career-ending injuries.

If Ameer Abdullah can stay healthy, the Lions believe their early-round backfield investment will finally pay off.

Outside of All Pro wideout Calvin Johnson, the former Nebraska star has been "the most eye-popping player" in training camp, per Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press, "and it isn't particularly close."

As running backs coach Curtis Modkins was doing his level best to tamp down expectations with reporters over the weekend, defensive coordinator Teryl Austin walked by and let the cat out of the bag.


"We can't even tackle that guy," Austin said, via Birkett. "We can't even touch him. He's like grasping at air."

Although Modkins is reserving ultimate judgment until the games begin, he concedes that Abdullah "definitely shows some unique ability."

Abdullah's off-the-charts athleticism was evident when he led all running backs in vertical jump (42 inches), broad jump, 3-cone drill, 20-yard shuttle and 60-yard shuttle at the NFL Scouting Combine.

As impressive as those measurable physical gifts might be, what we saw on the Senior Bowl MVP's college tape was even more promising.

NFL Media analyst LaDainian Tomlinson noted Abdullah's "natural instincts" and potential to open the Lions offense with big-play ability outside the numbers.

Ex-scout Daniel Jeremiah compared Abdullah to Bengals' threat Giovani Bernard.

"He's strong, he's quick, he can catch the heck out of it," Jeremiah said, "and he's good after the catch."

When I watch Abdullah, his uncanny vision, explosive lateral agility and burst to and through the hole are readily apparent. Most eye-catching, though, is a rare suddenness that makes it seem like he's actually picking up speed when he makes a cut.

Much like Bernard, Abdullah projects as a mismatch in spread situations, taking the ball on pitches, screens, draws, swing passes and crossing routes.

Just don't tell him that he can't be an every-down back at 5-foot-9 and 205 pounds.

"For those who say that," Abdullah said in May, "I ask them to turn on my film."


http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... lions-camp


August 12th, 2015, 9:13 am
Profile
William Clay Ford Sr.
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 8986
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post Re: Killer's Korner
UK Lion wrote:
Good reports on Abdullah:

Quote:
A half-decade ago, Detroit fans watched promising young running backs Jahvid Best and Mikel Leshoure go down with hard-luck, career-ending injuries.

If Ameer Abdullah can stay healthy, the Lions believe their early-round backfield investment will finally pay off.

Outside of All Pro wideout Calvin Johnson, the former Nebraska star has been "the most eye-popping player" in training camp, per Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press, "and it isn't particularly close."

As running backs coach Curtis Modkins was doing his level best to tamp down expectations with reporters over the weekend, defensive coordinator Teryl Austin walked by and let the cat out of the bag.


"We can't even tackle that guy," Austin said, via Birkett. "We can't even touch him. He's like grasping at air."

Although Modkins is reserving ultimate judgment until the games begin, he concedes that Abdullah "definitely shows some unique ability."

Abdullah's off-the-charts athleticism was evident when he led all running backs in vertical jump (42 inches), broad jump, 3-cone drill, 20-yard shuttle and 60-yard shuttle at the NFL Scouting Combine.

As impressive as those measurable physical gifts might be, what we saw on the Senior Bowl MVP's college tape was even more promising.

NFL Media analyst LaDainian Tomlinson noted Abdullah's "natural instincts" and potential to open the Lions offense with big-play ability outside the numbers.

Ex-scout Daniel Jeremiah compared Abdullah to Bengals' threat Giovani Bernard.

"He's strong, he's quick, he can catch the heck out of it," Jeremiah said, "and he's good after the catch."

When I watch Abdullah, his uncanny vision, explosive lateral agility and burst to and through the hole are readily apparent. Most eye-catching, though, is a rare suddenness that makes it seem like he's actually picking up speed when he makes a cut.

Much like Bernard, Abdullah projects as a mismatch in spread situations, taking the ball on pitches, screens, draws, swing passes and crossing routes.

Just don't tell him that he can't be an every-down back at 5-foot-9 and 205 pounds.

"For those who say that," Abdullah said in May, "I ask them to turn on my film."


http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... lions-camp


Barry was only 5'8".


August 12th, 2015, 5:59 pm
Profile
Player of the Year - Offense
User avatar

Joined: August 24th, 2010, 9:54 pm
Posts: 2867
Post Re: Killer's Korner
Too many embeds to reproduce here, but check this out: http://deadspin.com/why-your-team-sucks ... 1726087529

_________________
"Good teams don't worry about a whole lot of stuff. They travel, they play, they win. And it doesn't matter where they go, what the time block is, all those kinds of things. They never seem to bother teams that play well, and we want to be one of those teams." -Jim Caldwell


August 27th, 2015, 9:03 am
Profile
#1 Overall Pick

Joined: October 19th, 2005, 1:24 pm
Posts: 1468
Location: Nottingham, England
Post Re: Killer's Korner
Injury report for the Lions from yesterday: http://www.detroitlions.com/team/custom ... eport.html

POS. NAME INJURY WEDNESDAY
LB DeAndre Levy hip NP
DT Haloti Ngata shoulder NP
TE Brandon Pettigrew hamstringNP
WR Golden Tate quad NP
DT Caraun Reid ankle LP
CB Darius Slay ankle LP
G Larry Warford ankle LP
QB Matthew Stafford right upper arm FP

Not looking too great ...


September 17th, 2015, 11:53 am
Profile
NFL Team Captain

Joined: March 21st, 2005, 2:11 pm
Posts: 1567
Location: Wolverine, Mi.
Post Re: Killer's Korner
Jamie: Time for Lions to move on from Martin Mayhew
Jamie Samuelsen, Special to the Free Press 8:41 p.m. EDT October 13, 2015

Jamie Samuelsen, co-host of the "Jamie and Wojo" show at 6 p.m. weekdays on WXYT-FM (97.1), blogs for freep.com. His opinions do not necessarily reflect those of the Detroit Free Press nor its writers. You can reach him at jamsam22@gmail.com, follow him on Twitter @jamiesamuelsen and read more of his opinions at freep.com/jamie.

The Detroit Lions fell to 0-5 with Sunday’s embarrassing loss to the Cardinals. What, if anything, can be done to turn things around?

There is so much blame to go around and so many people to blame, I don’t think we have enough fingers.

Of course it’s Matthew Stafford’s fault. He’s one of the highest paid quarterbacks in the NFL and according to Pro Football Focus, he’s the worst quarterback in the league after five games.

Of course it’s Joe Lombardi’s fault. He got his first offensive coordinator job two years ago and was given a quarterback, receivers, tight ends and running backs and has put together one of the worst offenses in the game and the worst we’ve seen in Detroit since Stafford’s rookie season.

Of course it’s Jim Caldwell’s fault. He’s the head coach. It’s his team, his coaching staff and his philosophy. He’s a good man and an outstanding leader. But you are what your record says it is and Caldwell is now 11-11, including the playoff loss to the Cowboys.

Of course it’s ownership’s fault. This is their team. It’s been bad for decades. And six years after the historically awful 0-16 season, the Lions are once again the worst team in football.

There’s been bad luck. There have been bad calls. There have been mistakes by the likes of Calvin Johnson, Ameer Abdullah, Darius Slay and Golden Tate – players that you expect to star and to lead, not to contribute to the comedy of errors.

When a team fails this badly, you have to pin most of the blame on the man charged with putting this team together. You have one finger to point? I’d point it squarely at Martin Mayhew.

You want to know why this team hasn’t won in more than a half century? Look no further than the front office. From Russ Thomas to Chuck Schmidt to Matt Millen to Mayhew, the Lions have never entrusted their football operations to a proven team builder.

They’ve taken chances. They’ve used businessmen, bean counters, broadcasters and former players. They’ve never targeted an established GM or an assistant GM from a successful team. The best two personnel men they had were Kevin Colbert and Ron Hughes, who worked in Detroit in the 90s under Schmidt. They moved on to Pittsburgh, where Colbert is now GM and Hughes is Director of College Scouting. They’ve won two Super Bowls there and played in a third.

Birkett: Big Lions decisions can wait a bit
Mayhew has made his share of shrewd moves. Drafting DeAndre Levy and signing Golden Tate both paid unexpected dividends. But he also had the empty drafts of 2010 and 2011 (no players still left on the roster from those drafts) and used questionable first-round picks on the likes of Eric Ebron, Riley Reiff, Brandon Pettigrew and Jahvid Best, who had a history of concussions at Cal and lasted a total of 22 games in the NFL.

The Ndamukong Suh saga might end up being the final nail in the coffin. It still defies logic that Mayhew was prepared to give Suh upwards of $115 million or was duped into thinking he might stay for less money than he got in Miami. He told us for a year that the two sides wanted to get a deal done and that the franchise tag was an option on the table. He essentially put all of his eggs into the Suh basket and ended up with egg on his face when the Lions' best defensive player in a generation walked away. Of course he should have drafted Aaron Donald instead of Ebron, not just as insurance against Suh leaving, but because Ebron was another missed pick in Mayhew’s eternal chase for the best player available.

I admire Mayhew’s stubbornness when it comes to this philosophy. I’d rather have a man of his beliefs than a man who switches strategies on a weekly basis. But the best coaches and GMs evolve with the times. Mayhew’s quest for the best players available has left the Lions with a winless team and a roster full of one or two great players, a handful of decent players and a bunch of aging veterans or youngsters who aren’t ready yet or never will be.

Is this a harsh overreaction to an 0-5 start? It probably is. But let’s be honest. Mayhew was hired in the fall of 2008. The Lions haven’t won a playoff game and have had a winning record just twice. Eight years is more than enough time for a man to prove himself. It’s a tough task starting with a winless team. But it’s unacceptable that it’s book-ended by a winless start to the 2015 season.

I don’t think Mayhew should be fired now in the middle of the season. I don’t know what that accomplishes other than to signal to the fans that ownership is unhappy with the current course of action. They did it in ’08 with Millen, and it was needed. The problem there was that Mayhew took over and did enough to convince the Fords that he deserved to stick around. If they make the break from Mayhew, it should be a clean one. This problem needs a fresh set of eyes and a fresh philosophy. This is not a ‘hire from within’ problem.

The Lions are a generational woe for local fans. They’ve been asking the same questions and getting the same answers for decades. I don’t pretend to ask different questions or have any answers. I just know that finding the answer starts with finding Mayhew’s replacement.



About time the some of the local media recognizes what many of us forum members have known for so long. It's Mayhews fault for the mess that is the Detroit Lions.


October 14th, 2015, 10:59 am
Profile
NFL Team Captain

Joined: March 21st, 2005, 2:11 pm
Posts: 1567
Location: Wolverine, Mi.
Post Re: Killer's Korner
Mayhew: Even at 1-6, Lions are buyers at trade deadline

Lions GM Martin Mayhew discusses his tenuous future with the organization after his team's 1-6 start.
Dave Birkett, Detroit Free Press 7:02 a.m. EDT October 30, 2015
Martin Mayhew


HERTFORDSHIRE, England — The Detroit Lions are 1-6 and tied for the worst record in the NFL, but general manager Martin Mayhew said this morning that the team won't take a build-for-the-future approach at next week's trading deadline.

"We're going to be probably more buyers than sellers and we've had some dialogue already about some guys around the league," Mayhew said. "So we're actively looking at those situations."

Mayhew has been one of the most active traders at the deadline in his seven seasons as GM, making three deals for draft picks or players. But the Lions decision to seek immediate help for their team this year comes at a curious time.

The Lions are extreme long shots to make the playoffs, with the Green Bay Packers undefeated at 6-0 atop the NFC North, the Minnesota Vikings having already beaten them twice this year and strong wildcard contenders in the NFC South and West, and quite possibly in need of an off-season overhaul to their aging roster.

But Mayhew, who sounded like a man fighting to keep his job in a morning session with beat reporters in town to cover Sunday's game against the Kansas City Chiefs, said he will not consider moving receiver Calvin Johnson under any circumstances and said the decision to buy at the deadline is easily explainable.

"We're trying to win some football games," Mayhew said. "We need some quality players to help us win football games."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Are you f*cking kidding me? Ownership better step in and squelch this before moron Mayhew trades away more of the future of this team.


October 30th, 2015, 9:33 am
Profile
Pro Bowl Player

Joined: October 13th, 2005, 9:03 am
Posts: 2490
Post Re: Killer's Korner
Nobody wants to see a guy like Calvin play in anything but a Lions uniform, but this team isn't winning a Super Bowl before he's nothing more than a shell of his former self. I have to imagine a team like the Giants and Panthers just to name two would give at minimum a 1st round pick for Calvin. Mayhew needs to put this team's future before his job for once, I'm tired of these minor moves that have at best kept the Lions a mediocre team that can win ten games if all the planets align. It's not just Calvin either, the Lions should have Ngata on the trading block along with Tulloch and I'd even say Stafford but I think they could get more for him in the offseason.


October 30th, 2015, 10:41 am
Profile
Online
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Joined: November 28th, 2007, 12:50 pm
Posts: 2261
Location: Newport Beach, Ca
Post Re: Killer's Korner
sweetd20 wrote:
Nobody wants to see a guy like Calvin play in anything but a Lions uniform, but this team isn't winning a Super Bowl before he's nothing more than a shell of his former self. I have to imagine a team like the Giants and Panthers just to name two would give at minimum a 1st round pick for Calvin. Mayhew needs to put this team's future before his job for once, I'm tired of these minor moves that have at best kept the Lions a mediocre team that can win ten games if all the planets align. It's not just Calvin either, the Lions should have Ngata on the trading block along with Tulloch and I'd even say Stafford but I think they could get more for him in the offseason.


It would cost the Lions money to trade CJ. Even in the offseason moving CJ or Stafford will have huge impact on the cap, the only thing the Lions should do with CJ is work out a paycut next season. CJ seems like the type of player given the amount of money he has made that he would be willing to help a little if the team needs it.


October 30th, 2015, 12:34 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 702 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 28 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.