View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 13th, 2017, 9:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 702 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47  Next
 Killer's Korner 
Player of the Year - Offense

Post Re: Killer's Korner
rao wrote:
sweetd20 wrote:
Nobody wants to see a guy like Calvin play in anything but a Lions uniform, but this team isn't winning a Super Bowl before he's nothing more than a shell of his former self. I have to imagine a team like the Giants and Panthers just to name two would give at minimum a 1st round pick for Calvin. Mayhew needs to put this team's future before his job for once, I'm tired of these minor moves that have at best kept the Lions a mediocre team that can win ten games if all the planets align. It's not just Calvin either, the Lions should have Ngata on the trading block along with Tulloch and I'd even say Stafford but I think they could get more for him in the offseason.

It would cost the Lions money to trade CJ. Even in the offseason moving CJ or Stafford will have huge impact on the cap, the only thing the Lions should do with CJ is work out a paycut next season. CJ seems like the type of player given the amount of money he has made that he would be willing to help a little if the team needs it.

I can't imagine spending millions of dollars to:
1) Trade the guy that is still our best player, even if he's lost a step
2) Open up a massive hole in our WR corps when it's taken so long to get a good group in.
3) Get a paltry first round pick. How many first rounders can we expect to perform at a CJ level?

The CJ trade talk was dumb when it was going around years ago, and it's dumb now. We'll have a lot of dead money gone next season. I don't see our cap space limiting us the way it has in year's past. All around it's a terrible idea.

"Good teams don't worry about a whole lot of stuff. They travel, they play, they win. And it doesn't matter where they go, what the time block is, all those kinds of things. They never seem to bother teams that play well, and we want to be one of those teams." -Jim Caldwell

October 30th, 2015, 1:02 pm
Megatron

thelomasbrowns wrote:
The CJ trade talk was dumb when it was going around years ago, and it's dumb now. We'll have a lot of dead money gone next season. I don't see our cap space limiting us the way it has in year's past. All around it's a terrible idea.

I think most of it now is for CJs sake; let him go to a contender so he has a real shot at getting his Ring. I'd see if he's interested in playing with Brady; not sure they'd be interested, but if they did get him, they might go 16-0 again and this time raise the trophy.

October 30th, 2015, 4:43 pm
National Champion

thelomasbrowns wrote:
rao wrote:
sweetd20 wrote:
Nobody wants to see a guy like Calvin play in anything but a Lions uniform, but this team isn't winning a Super Bowl before he's nothing more than a shell of his former self. I have to imagine a team like the Giants and Panthers just to name two would give at minimum a 1st round pick for Calvin. Mayhew needs to put this team's future before his job for once, I'm tired of these minor moves that have at best kept the Lions a mediocre team that can win ten games if all the planets align. It's not just Calvin either, the Lions should have Ngata on the trading block along with Tulloch and I'd even say Stafford but I think they could get more for him in the offseason.

It would cost the Lions money to trade CJ. Even in the offseason moving CJ or Stafford will have huge impact on the cap, the only thing the Lions should do with CJ is work out a paycut next season. CJ seems like the type of player given the amount of money he has made that he would be willing to help a little if the team needs it.

I can't imagine spending millions of dollars to:
1) Trade the guy that is still our best player, even if he's lost a step
2) Open up a massive hole in our WR corps when it's taken so long to get a good group in.
3) Get a paltry first round pick. How many first rounders can we expect to perform at a CJ level?

If we had a good GM then it'd make more sense. 8ish potential years of 1st round prime production and cap space to sign a replacement WR outweigh keeping Calvin at this point, IMO. Again, that's assuming we're not throwing darts with our picks as it seems with Mayhew.

October 31st, 2015, 12:36 am
Pro Bowl Player

The Lions are going to free up money that was in dead cap space and trading Calvin and Stafford will actually give them even more relief. Yes, they will take a cap hit in dead money but the combined savings would give them more than $20 million between the two of them. I love the pipe dream of Calvin giving Detroit a "Hometwon" discount like Fitzgerald did. Detroit isn't Calvin's hometown and there are couple of big differences between Arizona and Detroit. The biggest is Larry reached the Super Bowl with the Cardinals and saw the potential to get there again. The next is quite simply he is in Arizona during most of the year compared to being in Michigan. I'm pretty sure just like Ray Charles in one of the best covers of a song he has Georgia on his mind or at least the warm weather. He hasn't given them a hometown discount yet so why would he now, when his big earning years are behind him and Detroit is so far from being a legit contender?

They have potential to be a playoff team off and on but they don't have the overall team to be real threats and unless they overpay and get burnt they aren't going to draw key FAs to Detroit. Its not like the Lions are the Patriots where guys will sign for less at a chance to win a Super Bowl. It's also not looking like a "wow" crop of FAs for 2016 either even if they were going to overpay. The real hope comes from the team moving on from Mayhew and finding a GM that has some sort of clue about building a team and seeing the faults even if a team does have a good season according to their record. The ownership needs to tell Mayhew that if he wants to hold on to his position for at least the rest of the season that he and the Lions are going to be sellers and not buyers. With that said then he needs to go out and take the best offer for Calvin unless they are all dog poop offers and also look to move Ngata even if the best offer is a bag of deflated footballs from the Patriots.

Then in FA the only guy I'd throw big money at is Josh Norman from Carolina and I hate paying big money to CBs and WRs but Norman is one of those elite talents at the position that also takes pride in his game. The only other position I can see worth going after is WR and there I like Rishard Matthews and Marvin Jones being attainable for Tate level contracts. The next move would be for the I assume new GM and HC to decide if Stafford is their guy for the next season or two and if not then trade him for the best offer and attack the draft. This team saw its window open only to have Mayhew and his blunders quickly slam it closed.

October 31st, 2015, 3:53 pm
National Champion

sweetd20 wrote:
The Lions are going to free up money that was in dead cap space and trading Calvin and Stafford will actually give them even more relief. Yes, they will take a cap hit in dead money but the combined savings would give them more than $20 million between the two of them. I love the pipe dream of Calvin giving Detroit a "Hometwon" discount like Fitzgerald did. Detroit isn't Calvin's hometown and there are couple of big differences between Arizona and Detroit. The biggest is Larry reached the Super Bowl with the Cardinals and saw the potential to get there again. The next is quite simply he is in Arizona during most of the year compared to being in Michigan. I'm pretty sure just like Ray Charles in one of the best covers of a song he has Georgia on his mind or at least the warm weather. He hasn't given them a hometown discount yet so why would he now, when his big earning years are behind him and Detroit is so far from being a legit contender?

They have potential to be a playoff team off and on but they don't have the overall team to be real threats and unless they overpay and get burnt they aren't going to draw key FAs to Detroit. Its not like the Lions are the Patriots where guys will sign for less at a chance to win a Super Bowl. It's also not looking like a "wow" crop of FAs for 2016 either even if they were going to overpay. The real hope comes from the team moving on from Mayhew and finding a GM that has some sort of clue about building a team and seeing the faults even if a team does have a good season according to their record. The ownership needs to tell Mayhew that if he wants to hold on to his position for at least the rest of the season that he and the Lions are going to be sellers and not buyers. With that said then he needs to go out and take the best offer for Calvin unless they are all dog poop offers and also look to move Ngata even if the best offer is a bag of deflated footballs from the Patriots.

Then in FA the only guy I'd throw big money at is Josh Norman from Carolina and I hate paying big money to CBs and WRs but Norman is one of those elite talents at the position that also takes pride in his game. The only other position I can see worth going after is WR and there I like Rishard Matthews and Marvin Jones being attainable for Tate level contracts. The next move would be for the I assume new GM and HC to decide if Stafford is their guy for the next season or two and if not then trade him for the best offer and attack the draft. This team saw its window open only to have Mayhew and his blunders quickly slam it closed.

I agree with your points. Top-level management can take our team, with the stars after hypothetically trading CJ/Stafford being Reiff, Warford, Swanson, Abdullah, Burton, Tate, Ebron, Ansah, Reid, Wright, Levy, Whitehead, Slay, Prater, Martin and Quin, pretty far with consistently good moves. Guys I listed are not all necessarily stars, but mostly starters who are decent enough and the lower ranked ones would be decent depth. That's 16 talented players to build around, and, again hypothetically, leaves us with $20M extra and a top 5 draft pick which, if used wisely, gives us another top-level star to build a contender.

We're not that far off. Just need to hit the mark on the new GM, get a new QB settled in, and build a winning attitude.

October 31st, 2015, 10:24 pm
RIP Killer

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johnbaldoni ... oit-lions/

Forbes wrote:
Don't Let Your Team Become Like The Detroit Lions

When everyone is accepting blame, maybe it is time to make a change.

Listen to members of the Detroit Lions explain the team’s woeful start to the 2015 season.

When offensive coordinator Joe Lombardi (grandson of the Vince) was fired, quarterback Matthew Stafford said, “Joe’s a stand-up guy and I really enjoyed working with him… It’s on everybody when bad stuff happens, and I can always be better too.

Head coach Jim Caldwell who piloted the Lions to an 11-5 record last year and into the playoffs, said of the team’s current woes: “Ultimately all of those things fall upon me. I’m ultimately responsible for those just in terms of whatever issues we have in protection — keeping our quarterback safe is chiefly amongst those.”

Even Martin Mayhew, the Lions General Manager, who rarely addresses the media, said, “Everybody’s involved in what has happened thus far this season, especially myself,” Mayhew said. “I’m responsible for our football operations, so it is on me what has happened this season… There’s a lot of things we need to do to get better.”

Geez, with all this acceptance of blame you would think the Lions are as penitential as Benedictine monks.

Reality dictates otherwise. The Lions have not won a championship since the Eisenhower era, or a playoff game since the first George Bush. The team went winless for an entire season in Bush II’s second term. In the Obama presidency, the Lions have gone winless in their only two playoff appearances.

Long suffering fans of the Detroit Lions – yes, the Lions do have loyal fans – want changes now. Not excuses. Sadly despite the blame accepting, nothing will change until the management team responsible for drafting the players, signing them to contracts, and coaching them on the field, is removed. Accepting blame is the easy part; making change – true change – requires guts and gumption. As well as responsibility!

While quarterback Stafford receives heat from fans, it is hard for him to play to his best when his offensive line allows him to be sacked multiple times per game. What’s more, the team lacks a viable running back alternative so Stafford must rely on his formidable arm… and even more formidable heart that prompts him to scramble despite knowing that he will be tackled hard.

So does any of this matter to anyone but a Lions fan? Well, watching a dysfunctional organization flounder does offer lessons for managers far from the gridiron. To avoid becoming Lionseque:

Evaluate talent. Hire people who can grow with you. Too often failing organizations hire for an immediate need when what they need most is a person who can do more than one thing. What’s more, look at more than a track record; seek to understand who they are as people and what they want to achieve now and in the future.

Develop your people. Throwing someone off the deck of a boat in deep water is not the way to teach someone how to swim. Yet how often do we see organizations hire talented people and provide them with little support and few resources? When you bring new people on board you need to groom them and provide them with opportunities to succeed.

Respect your customers. Peter Drucker wisely counseled, “The purpose of business is to create and keep a customer.”Spend time getting to know their needs as well as their desires. Find ways to connect with product offerings that satisfy as well as delight.

And it’s this last point where Lions have truly failed. Hope – “things will get better next year” – is the Holy Grail of the Lions fans. While many fans profess their disgust with the franchise, year after year the season ticketholders crowd Ford Field – a world class indoor stadium – with fervent hope that this will be the year, not for a Super Bowl but a winning record and a playoff win.

After all, as the grandfather of the now former offensive coordinator, Joe Lombardi put it, “Winning is not a sometime thing; it’s an all time thing… Winning is habit. Unfortunately, so is losing.”

Winning requires more than the ability to accept blame; it requires sound management.

October 31st, 2015, 11:46 pm
Profile WWW
#1 Overall Pick

Mathis placed on IR with a brain injury from concussion. That could well be the end of his career as a player, which would be a big shame.

November 15th, 2015, 5:18 am
Player of the Year - Offense

"Good teams don't worry about a whole lot of stuff. They travel, they play, they win. And it doesn't matter where they go, what the time block is, all those kinds of things. They never seem to bother teams that play well, and we want to be one of those teams." -Jim Caldwell

December 6th, 2015, 12:10 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

thelomasbrowns wrote:

I have often tried to give credit to Mayhew for the things he has done right, but I find it hard to believe Lawson and Diggs are from his influence given Austin is in Detroit. Austin has been known as a DB guru and with what he has done since coming to Detroit I feel he deserves the credit for those two.

December 6th, 2015, 1:41 pm
RIP Killer

rao wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:

I have often tried to give credit to Mayhew for the things he has done right, but I find it hard to believe Lawson and Diggs are from his influence given Austin is in Detroit. Austin has been known as a DB guru and with what he has done since coming to Detroit I feel he deserves the credit for those two.

Don't jump on the bandwagon for Diggs and Lawson quite so quick. Jonte Green was supposed to be some kind of great find for Mayhew a few years ago. He played decently in his rookie campaign. Then, he fell off the map. He's out of the league now, I think. Bill Bentley was the same. Looked pretty good until his injury. Now, I don't think he's in the NFL any longer.

Lawson is essentially a rookie. I like what I've seen from both. But I'd still like the Lions to get a top notch corner for the coming season.

December 9th, 2015, 7:36 pm
Team President - Rod Wood

Bill Bentley is in the NFL and he is on the LIONS!!!! Haha!

I have to agree that Diggs and Lawson are looking like good picks as does Slay. Whether or not the influence to take them came from Schwartz, Austin or Mayhew himself - Mayhew deserves credit for having a couple young secondary pieces sitting there for the next GM. (hopefully, alex carter is another one but i think his pick may have been more Mayhew - MM2 played with Carter s father - and we wont get a glimpse til next year) I will also say, Slay/Lawson/Diggs have each already shown more than Green/Greenwood/Bentley ever did.

Doesnt erase some of his failures particulary the early rounds especially in the last 2 years. If Mayhew had gotten more of early impact contributors there he could ve masked some of the roster issues in this cap hell year but he blew it pretty badly with Ebron, Van Noy, Tomlinson, and Abdullah. Though they may contribute with time none have had the early impact that couldve saved the Lions from the horrendous start.

December 9th, 2015, 11:05 pm
Pro Bowl Player

The Legend wrote:
Bill Bentley is in the NFL and he is on the LIONS!!!! Haha!

P sure he was cut earlier this year. Did they pick him back up with the Mathis concussion?

December 10th, 2015, 12:21 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
#1 Overall Pick

He was in the GB game I think. I was surprised when I saw him turn up!

Signed last month to replace Wilson when he moved to IR: http://www.detroitlions.com/news/transactions.html

December 10th, 2015, 4:23 pm
League MVP

http://www.baltimorebeatdown.com/2016/1 ... super-bowl

Here's some sadness for your weekend. Since 2000, the Lions have the second least number of wins, by 1, to the Browns. The Texans, who weren't in existence for 2 of those years have 12 more wins, including 2 playoff victories.

January 29th, 2016, 10:45 pm
League MVP

From the past 6 drafts, we have 20 players still on the roster, 19 of which are from the last 3. Only Riley Reiff is left from 2010-2012, assuming we don't bring back Whitehead. 3 years worth of players who should be on their second contract with the team are gone or out of the league.

March 9th, 2016, 10:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 702 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47  Next